Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Deep Winter posted:

Ugh, I didn't even think of that. Having the avatar be the princess of a water tribe chief (let alone two tribes :psyduck:) is dumb. Dumber than Roku's "my best friend is the fire lord" random coincidence poo poo.
Maybe the Avatar spirit actively seeks out positions adjacent to power to make sure it can get the change it wants done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe the Avatar spirit actively seeks out positions adjacent to power to make sure it can get the change it wants done?

I just kind of expected someone who is extremely good at bending to just end up in privileged culture by being exceptional themselves. The double princess thing is kind of out there though.

Best friend with the fire lord? Sure. A coincidence, but a plausible one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Winter posted:

Ugh, I didn't even think of that. Having the avatar be the princess of a water tribe chief (let alone two tribes :psyduck:) is dumb. Dumber than Roku's "my best friend is the fire lord" random coincidence poo poo. I mean sure, statistically, the avatar is gonna be born into a prince or king or lord, but that should be backround fluff detail for past avatars, not "Korra is extra special because she's a double princess". That's fanfic territory.
Korra actually has no claim to the Tribal Chief, as her father gave up his birthright of Chief of the Northern Water Tribe to move to the Southern Water Tribe with his wife, where Korra was born. How the hell Unalaq is now Chief of BOTH Tribes is one thing I'm really curious to find out, because Tonraq only gave him the position NWT Chief.

So no, Korra is not a princess. And even if she did have a right to the throne, I doubt that the Avatar is allowed to be Chief or King or Lord of anything. Aang wasn't even on the Republic City Council, the position was shown to have been given to an Acolyte.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There will be two more books after this one, 13 episodes each, and then Korra is done.
I guess that's what I get for abandoing the previous thread ever since the Book 1 finale, but I'm pretty surprised by this. Shocked, even. Three more seasons? Jesus. Well, here's hoping that they actually pace it properly this time.

I actually liked basically all of Book 1 except for the finale (pro-bending was cooooool). That ending was pretty eyeroll worthy. At least we can look forward to a thread without any "Amon is actually...!" nonsense.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
If the chief-ship is supposed to be hereditary, does that mean Korra is related to Yue? Like, Unalaq and Tonraq would have to be descended from the AtLA Water Tribe Chief Arnook, right? Unless Arnook abdicated his own position at some point and someone else took over.

Come to think of it, Sokka or Katara should've been the Southern chiefs after their father..

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Yikes! People are not only discussing characters that haven't been introduced yet, but their political relationship to other characters who haven't been introduced yet! :)

Going to abandon thread to avoid getting heavily spoiled. Hope everyone enjoys the upcoming season!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

If the chief-ship is supposed to be hereditary, does that mean Korra is related to Yue? Like, Unalaq and Tonraq would have to be descended from the AtLA Water Tribe Chief Arnook, right? Unless Arnook abdicated his own position at some point and someone else took over.

Come to think of it, Sokka or Katara should've been the Southern chiefs after their father..
It could be that I'm wrong about it being a birthright, and that Tonraq was simply given the position based on merit, and then decided to give power over to his brother, since I guess if the people trust you enough to be Chief then they won't question your judgement when you say "actually this guy should be Chief."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waterbed posted:

I just kind of expected someone who is extremely good at bending to just end up in privileged culture by being exceptional themselves. The double princess thing is kind of out there though.

Best friend with the fire lord? Sure. A coincidence, but a plausible one.

Yea, I can see the fire Nation pushing the first Avatar born from their culture in presumably a few hundred years (given their lifespans) close to their royalty in youth just so they'll know each other and have a chance to train with other people of skill, since the Prince would, like Zuko and Azula be expected to be a skilled bender as well. Regardless of skill, experience or even accomplishment both of those people are going to want to know the other later in life because they're both extremely important people with a lot of social and political pull. It might also be a bit of political wrangling on the part of the royal family - they want their Avatar to sympathize with and support decisions that benefit them and given that Avatars leave and train in other cultures for years or even decades, best to make your mark early before he leaves at all. It's not really particularly surprising that they would become friends, especially when it serves the story so well by setting up yet another parallel between Aang and Zuko.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 4, 2013

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Speaking of Avatar lifespans, I wonder if there are any Avatars that died early for stupid reasons? Like, say, in their teens or twenties for pissing off an armadillo bear or breaking their neck with some ill-advised airbending stunt. It'd be great to see how an Avatar reacts to their immediate predecessor having no wisdom to offer besides 'wear a helmet. :downs:'

I also kind of wonder how many Avatars just turned out to be weirdos who spent their tenures collecting dolls or engaging in extreme taxidermy. They're the 'weird uncles' of the Avatar cycle. Nobody likes to talk about them at Spirit World reunions, and any time someone brings them to the current Avatar, they go into the Avatar State just so all of them can collectively sigh and facepalm in shame. :doh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Deep Winter posted:

Ugh, I didn't even think of that. Having the avatar be the princess of a water tribe chief (let alone two tribes :psyduck:) is dumb. Dumber than Roku's "my best friend is the fire lord" random coincidence poo poo.

:eng101: Best friend and distant relative! But still not as dumb as retreading the exact same ground, only replacing "fire benders" with "water benders" and "distant relatives" with "brothers."

edit: wait, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. Was it that Roku and Sozin were Zuko's grandfathers on either side, but not directly related?

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 4, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Avatar is a neverending story of dysfunctional families.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

:eng101: Best friend and distant relative! But still not as dumb as retreading the exact same ground, only replacing "fire benders" with "water benders" and "distant relatives" with "brothers."

edit: wait, maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. Was it that Roku and Sozin were Zuko's grandfathers on either side, but not directly related?

Roku was Ursa's grandfather, and Sozin was Ozai's. They weren't actually related, just best friends.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Red Metal posted:

Roku was Ursa's grandfather, and Sozin was Ozai's. They weren't actually related, just best friends.

So they were both Zuko's great-grandfathers. I knew it was something like that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

How did that prestige of being the Avatar affect Aang's upbringing? He did talk about going from one Air Temple to the other and knowing people from all over the 4 nations but I always got the impression that that was normal for all air nomads. Is there anything official that states otherwise that Aanot special treatment before he was informed he was the Avatar?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Aces High posted:

How did that prestige of being the Avatar affect Aang's upbringing? He did talk about going from one Air Temple to the other and knowing people from all over the 4 nations but I always got the impression that that was normal for all air nomads. Is there anything official that states otherwise that Aanot special treatment before he was informed he was the Avatar?
Nothing official that I'm aware of. It's safe to assume that he grew up just like everyone else before being prematurely informed of his being the Avatar. I'm pretty sure that that was the whole point of The Storm. He was a normal kid, until this incredible burden got thrust on him before he was emotionally mature enough to accept it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Incidentally, Doug Walker's finished his Korra reviews and The Last Airbender movie review. I haven't finished the Korra ones yet but the TLA one is a riot. (Be warned that he's in full Nostalgia Critic mode though, so...mind your speakers)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

BrianWilly posted:

Incidentally, Doug Walker's finished his Korra reviews and The Last Airbender movie review. I haven't finished the Korra ones yet but the TLA one is a riot. (Be warned that he's in full Nostalgia Critic mode though, so...mind your speakers)
The thing about Doug Walker is that he's a perfectly fine person who I'd like to hang out with and just kinda shoot the poo poo about things we've both seen with, but his comedy is... off-putting. Just yelling with no sense of timing or wit. I mean yeah there were a few funny moments but honestly he shines when he's at his most serious and analytical. I get that it's a character and I'm not outraged by his popularity or anything, I just think that he's a decent film critic, but a mediocre comedian.

Edit: His editing is phenomenal, however. I'll absolutely give him props for the sheer amount of effort he puts in to his projects.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 5, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

BrianWilly posted:

I absolutely adore how much attention the sluggish pebble got. Do you have a link to the Korra ones? Couldn't find it on the site / with google.

**Never mind, found them.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 5, 2013

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The thing about Doug Walker is that he's a perfectly fine person who I'd like to hang out with and just kinda shoot the poo poo about things we've both seen with, but his comedy is... off-putting. Just yelling with no sense of timing or wit. I mean yeah there were a few funny moments but honestly he shines when he's at his most serious and analytical. I get that it's a character and I'm not outraged by his popularity or anything, I just think that he's a decent film critic, but a mediocre comedian.

Edit: His editing is phenomenal, however. I'll absolutely give him props for the sheer amount of effort he puts in to his projects.

The Last Airbender is the first review of his that I've watched, and I agree with this. When he's being calm and actually talking about stuff, he makes total sense and I pretty much nod along with everything he's saying. I even liked a lot of his non-screaming humor-- 'stop hitting yourself' bloodbending, his reaction to Yue's penis-hair, his sudden :gonk: at Aang's extreme close up, and of course, platypus bunny. But the yelling is just so drat off-putting, I don't really feel compelled to watch any of his other in-character stuff.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Nothing official that I'm aware of. It's safe to assume that he grew up just like everyone else before being prematurely informed of his being the Avatar. I'm pretty sure that that was the whole point of The Storm. He was a normal kid, until this incredible burden got thrust on him before he was emotionally mature enough to accept it.

Yeah, that was really the focus there. How the kids didn't treat him as one of their own any more, how the adults wanted him to be pushed right away into serious business, and so on. His being the Avatar was the reason why it all happened, but the real problem was that he was pushed suddenly out of his peer group and into the pressures and expectations of adulthood he wasn't ready or willing for. It was only compounded by how the older monks were seemingly doing this because they knew things were looking bad in the world and they needed an Avatar sooner rather than later, but Aang didn't know or understand this so thought he was basically being punished for no reason.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I think one of the things I'm most excited for is hearing more of Jeremy Zuckerman and the Track Team's scoring. Book Two could take a total nosedive as far as the writing goes but the music would still make everything worthwhile.

In fact, I've been listening to Zuckerman's score for Book One a lot over the past few days, and it inspired me to whip up a little something with my music software: Tribute to Legend of Korra - The Fourth Element

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Korra Season 1 completely lost me at the end, for reasons that have been discussed plenty, but I'm willing to give this season another shot at recapturing the awesomeness that was Avatar: The Last Airbender.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think one of the things I'm most excited for is hearing more of Jeremy Zuckerman and the Track Team's scoring. Book Two could take a total nosedive as far as the writing goes but the music would still make everything worthwhile.

In fact, I've been listening to Zuckerman's score for Book One a lot over the past few days, and it inspired me to whip up a little something with my music software: Tribute to Legend of Korra - The Fourth Element
:stonk: This is pretty drat rad.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Does anyone know of a good stuffed Appa and where to buy it?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Does anyone know of a good stuffed Appa and where to buy it?

Nick used to sell them on their store. That was years ago though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, guys.
One week.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Holy poo poo, guys.
One week.
Yeah, it shows up in my cable search now. :f5:

On a related note, apparently I now have Nick HD? Oh my God yes this is going to be awesome.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hopefully this new season is awesome, but I'll have to find out from this thread at first because I'm not missing football games for a tv show. And I don't want to drop ~$30 on the itunes version before it airs like I did for Season 1.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Iron Twinkie posted:

Hate to break off of Equalist chat but am I reading this right? On top of being a fully realized Avatar and only the second one to master energy bending, Korra is also a princess of the Northern Water Tribe and the Southern Water Tribe? Isn't that a bit much?

Nickelodeon has decided to step up and compete with Disney in the princess market.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

Hopefully this new season is awesome, but I'll have to find out from this thread at first because I'm not missing football games for a tv show. And I don't want to drop ~$30 on the itunes version before it airs like I did for Season 1.

What football games are you watching on Friday nights? Are you one of those people that's way too into high school football for an adult?

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

raditts posted:

What football games are you watching on Friday nights? Are you one of those people that's way too into high school football for an adult?

You're in a thread for a children's cartoon. Those who live in glass houses.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I always felt that "slow-moving rock" from the movie was unrelated to the 6 earthdancers and that it was just the terrible cinematography that made them seem related, or am I wrong?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

afroserty posted:

You're in a thread for a children's cartoon. Those who live in glass houses.

I also have children that I watch said cartoon with, so I've at least got an excuse. There's no excuse for watching high school football on TV.

Kraps posted:

I always felt that "slow-moving rock" from the movie was unrelated to the 6 earthdancers and that it was just the terrible cinematography that made them seem related, or am I wrong?

No, I think you're right, I remember that being pointed out in that one breakdown of the scene that one of the artists for the cartoon did.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 8, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

raditts posted:

I also have children that I watch said cartoon with, so I've at least got an excuse. There's no excuse for watching high school football on TV.

No, I think you're right, I remember that being pointed out in that one breakdown of the scene that one of the artists for the cartoon did.

He also very well could be playing(How old do you have to be to have an account here again), Some college Teams do play on Fridays, or he could have a kid who plays.

I mean College football is pretty terrible too. But yeah.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010

raditts posted:

Can't argue with that. It's still weird to me that in America you can watch high school and college sports on television.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

afroserty posted:

Can't argue with that. It's still weird to me that in America you can watch high school and college sports on television.

Highschool is either public access, or holy poo poo why are you paying for the high school football channel. Plus even those channels are mostly Texas teams.

In College, The major schools are usually all on some normal TV channel. The smalller schools are on like ESPN 5.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

afroserty posted:

Don't conflate my tone with hostility (it's actually bemusement), but college sports are a pretty huge loving deal over here. Have you seen some of the stadiums colleges build for their teams, even for DII and DIII schools?

Holy poo poo the places this thread will go in the next ~week.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kraps posted:

I figured the dancers where doing the wall or something and the other dude did the rock.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Protagorean posted:

Don't conflate my tone with hostility (it's actually bemusement), but college sports are a pretty huge loving deal over here. Have you seen some of the stadiums colleges build for their teams, even for DII and DIII schools?

Holy poo poo the places this thread will go in the next ~week.

There are High school stadiums that are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
...that is for High School? I must be in a dream. There is no way that is real.

• Locked thread