Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If those tools exist and the cops don't use them, that's just as dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I started watching this show because it consistently charmed me. The actors, the plots, all the funny little moments. So wonderful :allears:

Apart from one of two brief moments so far this season, I'm just not feeling the charm anymore. I can only hope that, after this episode, she goes back to homicide and this show becomes fun again.

Also, I'm really getting tired of the magic cameras everywhere that solve the case for them. Super satellites that ID tag you and can resolve down far enough so you can read text the size of a newspaper headline. Street cams that record in high def, store their data forever and stream to every police department. Ugh.

It's lazy. And that's never fun.

It's so advanced it's hilarious. The show will be back in NYC shortly. :shrug:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Do you guys remember when he fought that tiger? Those were the days. None of this 'poisoned' bullshit. :q:

ElPedro
Apr 22, 2008
This last episode was a lot better. Laid back plus more Ryan and Esposito. I really think the show is at its best, when they mess around with Castle.

I do agree on the exaggerated amount of cameras though. Oooh we'll just tab into the satellite or one of the million street cameras.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Drifter posted:

Do you guys remember when he fought that tiger? Those were the days. None of this 'poisoned' bullshit. :q:

The difference is that the tiger was hilarious. It started with a massive box full of manacles and chains that freaked them out. Then came the noises. Then OH poo poo A loving TIGER! Then we had to wonder how in the hell a tiger got in there with them and how they were going to escape.

The fact that they were going to escape was never in doubt, but watching the process was incredibly fun. The recent poisoning storyline? Not so much.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Way to get sacked Beckett.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
I missed the first two episodes of this season, but I actually managed to tune in for tonight's episode. I'm a little disappointed by how quickly they're returning things back to the status quo, since Beckett's move to DC was built up as this dramatic turning point last season. We hardly knew ye, New Detective Guy!

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

fygar posted:

We hardly knew ye, New Detective Guy!

Good riddance, ya slob.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

ElPedro posted:

I do agree on the exaggerated amount of cameras though. Oooh we'll just tab into the satellite or one of the million street cameras.
Maybe they wanted it to be based on London/England? Every lovely tiny kebab joint here has at least three CCTV cameras. It's the mother of all surveillance states.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

fygar posted:

I missed the first two episodes of this season, but I actually managed to tune in for tonight's episode. I'm a little disappointed by how quickly they're returning things back to the status quo, since Beckett's move to DC was built up as this dramatic turning point last season. We hardly knew ye, New Detective Guy!

Given the quality of tonight's episode compared to the last two, they couldn't get back to NYC quick enough. And you had to know it was coming, total paradigm shifts in shows like this rarely last long.

Really enjoyed last night's ep, although there were still a few dumb moments (why on earth would the CIA guy pull his gun on a bunch of FBI and NYPD in the scene where they find the guns? Good way to get yourself shot accidentally. He must have sensed he was in a TV show that needed to cut to commercial.) This show is at its best when it's not taking itself too seriously.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Of Texas posted:

Really enjoyed last night's ep, although there were still a few dumb moments (why on earth would the CIA guy pull his gun on a bunch of FBI and NYPD in the scene where they find the guns? Good way to get yourself shot accidentally. He must have sensed he was in a TV show that needed to cut to commercial.) This show is at its best when it's not taking itself too seriously.

The funniest part about that was it was supposed to be a cliff hangar.. but he was kind of ludicrously outgunned anyway. What, four armed people pointing guns at him and he's still trying to be a serious threat?

PaganGoatPants posted:

Way to get sacked Beckett.

I'll give them credit, that was the best way to end this. I was thinking "God drat it, this is going to drag on for a ---" when YOUR FIRED. Sticks her back into NYC, no question.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blazing Ownager posted:

The funniest part about that was it was supposed to be a cliff hangar.. but he was kind of ludicrously outgunned anyway. What, four armed people pointing guns at him and he's still trying to be a serious threat?

Well in a Serious Situation that isn't Castle he'd lose the fight, but could kill at least one of our heroes. So that qualifies as a serious threat I think.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

Well in a Serious Situation that isn't Castle he'd lose the fight, but could kill at least one of our heroes. So that qualifies as a serious threat I think.

I suppose that true, but unless the guy was a psycho with a death wish, that'd be a pretty dumb move. If they came back from commercial and he opened fire, I'd actually been very surprised.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I almost think her resigning because of the BS letting perps go philosophy would have fit better than Beckett trying to sneak around them and getting caught and fired.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I think having her be fired for doing what she feels was the right thing to do will allow her to realize it wasn't the job for her. It's been clear she didn't like the way that DC does things and, knowing Beckett, would've hated herself eventually.

Will she be upset at the lost opportunity (and a lower paycheck)? Sure, but she'll realize that her morals align best with the black and white nature of police work.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Y'all are assuming Beckett is going to magically become a police detective again and not live off unemployment checks for the next six months.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Maybe she can be Beckett, PI.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm glad they mixed things up for a bit, otherwise poo poo gets boring and everyone will be complaining how the showrunner(s) never wants to take risks.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Irish Joe posted:

Y'all are assuming Beckett is going to magically become a police detective again and not live off unemployment checks for the next six months.

She has an absurdly rich fiancee now; maybe the rest of the season will be them inadvertently solving murders while on an extended posh vacation.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
So glad to see the show back in NYC. I knew it wouldn't last long between Beckett looking mopey and having to deal with the way DC does things. I was really glad she got fired - if she'd come back to NYC because of pining for Castle she'd be forever wondering if she'd sacrificed the awesome job for love, and that never does good things to a relationship. I hope Castle can find a renter for that DC place, though.

That said, I thought Castle and Beckett's virtual morning snuggle was incredibly cute.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Pi? He's annoying in the way a golden retriever is annoying; but he's completely sincere. As long as they don't overdo him he'll be fine.

Don't know if Beckett will get back on the force immediately - I think Gates would be on board with it. But based on the preview for next week I think Castle will finally be put on as a quasi-official consultant if he acquits himself well at the hostage negotiation.

dynokill
Apr 20, 2004

The Red Queen posted:

She has an absurdly rich fiancee now; maybe the rest of the season will be them inadvertently solving murders while on an extended posh vacation.

That Hamptons episode was probably my favorite episode last season, actually. That was last season, right?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm sorry, you obviously didn't notice the gun he was packing:

That's a XenoBlaster 5000, he could have atomized the whole gang if he wanted to.

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010

seravid posted:

That's a XenoBlaster 5000, he could have atomized the whole gang if he wanted to.

Well he is Dick Roman he could have just unhinged the jaw and went to town on Beckett and Co.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

seravid posted:

It took me a bit to figure out, but that's the guy from Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Outside of some ad campaign that ran during Mad Men, I haven't seen him in anything else.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AFewBricksShy posted:

It took me a bit to figure out, but that's the guy from Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Outside of some ad campaign that ran during Mad Men, I haven't seen him in anything else.

He was the main bad guy in season 7 of Supernatural

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Azhais posted:

He was the main bad guy in season 7 of Supernatural

And the main bad guy in Dexter S5.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BreakAtmo posted:

Yes, but I could only recommend one of the two shows in good conscience

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BreakAtmo posted:

Pretty sure the main bad guy for S5 (the Lumen Season) was Johnny Lee Miller.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pretty sure the main bad guy for S5 (the Lumen Season) was Johnny Lee Miller.

Wait, I think you're right. I must have had my wires crossed.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And now everything is back to normal.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
"She dotted the 'I!'"

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
An enjoyable episode. A return to the storylines I always enjoy. And next week's episode looks like its going to be a nice silly one! :)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Castle episodes that don't take themselves too seriously best Castle.

Also Beckett needs to solve more cases is tight/yoga pants

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Psych did an episode a few years ago where a victim was the child of a rich guy born to a mistress. I don't recall if there was an adoption or just the mother keeping it secret, but it's not important.

They suspected him for evil rich guy reasons, but it turned out to be his wife trying to protect his reputation and he was horrified he didn't get to meet his kid.

I like that little subversion in procedurals, it's nice for a last 5 minutes twist and keeps it from everyone with money being evil. And this time it's even a semi-happy ending for them.

How much time does hostage taking get you?

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Aphrodite posted:

Psych did an episode a few years ago where a victim was the child of a rich guy born to a mistress. I don't recall if there was an adoption or just the mother keeping it secret, but it's not important.

They suspected him for evil rich guy reasons, but it turned out to be his wife trying to protect his reputation and he was horrified he didn't get to meet his kid.

I like that little subversion in procedurals, it's nice for a last 5 minutes twist and keeps it from everyone with money being evil. And this time it's even a semi-happy ending for them.

How much time does hostage taking get you?

well, given the circumstances and the fact that she doesn't have a prior record (technically), I'd imagine the judge would be lenient. Plus her dad is going to be supporting her in court and he's pretty powerful.

Side Note: I just realized a plot point that everyone seemed to gloss over. According to her story: when she woke up, her boyfriend was dead and the cops were at her door and she ran. Nobody seemed to question who called the police to her apartment. That would be a glaring clue that she was probably being framed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, that was odd. If it wasn't going to be a plot point, it's easy to write out too. She wakes up, finds the body and screams, neighbour calls the cops. Mention it in some quick dialogue from Ryan or Esposito and there you go.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So I've just come off a week long marathon of the entire series back to back and am now all caught up. I've got a few thoughts, first of which is that I'm impressed how remarkably consistent the show was from season to season. Though season 4 got pretty heavy at points for my taste. Episode to episode was sometimes up and down, but still no major stinkers stuck out to me. That being said, the show is absolutely at it's best when it's light and Castle is just allowed to be Castle. But they always did a good job about following up the heavy/plot episodes with ridiculous ones about zombies/werewolves/aliens/etc. I have mixed feelings about the first few of episodes of S5. I think it was an important character development for Beckett, but on the other hand, it sort of just felt like they were wasting our time. (I mean come on, barely any Ryan/Esposito for two whole episodes, that's some bullshit. :colbert:)

Watching the show evolve visually was interesting too. The transition from a little more cold/realistic lighting to S4&S5s "CSI-style-perpetual-evening-sun-angled-lighting." I prefered the old look, but oh well. Also Becketts hair.

Now going into the future, anyone else feel like S6 could be it for the series? While I love it and can't get enough, I also prefer that shows end on their own terms. It feels like Beckett's mom arc is pointing towards a climax and, personally, I think the wedding would be a great finale.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it was, we'd know already.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I don't follow that much news about TV so I wouldn't know.

Also, I gotta say, Gates is a fantastic character. After how comfortable everything had gotten with Montgomery, I really was expecting her to fulfill the role of the cold ex-IA stepping on Castle/Beckett's toes at every opportunity. But even after just a few episodes I really ended up liking her a lot. While she is still very much by the book, there's a lot more to her than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Castle is pretty much a bedrock of ABC's Monday Nights, their ratings really don't change out of a 1.9-2.6 share range. Unlike CBS, they aren't going to kill something that gets decent ratings but not good enough for the rest of the (old person) lineup and unlike NBC they aren't going to gently caress around with a dozen shows in the same timeslot and then air it when that show inevitably fails. The show is going to be around for a couple more seasons at least.

• Locked thread