Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mercury Crusader posted:

I bought a lot of the Team Rocket set, so much in fact that I have more from that set than any other (Base Set is a close second, Jungle and Fossil are tied for third). Oddly enough, I could never get a holofoil Dark Charizard. I still have my old card binder, and it is the only missing part of the entire set. I really should just order one and call it done. Or maybe four, I think I have enough cards to finish four complete sets of Team Rocket.

Anybody remember the promo card Team Rocket's Meowth from back in 2000? It wasn't that good, and nobody I knew wanted them. Not even the guy running the comic book shop that I used to frequent that would only occasionally do Pokemon-related stuff (they mostly did Magic: The Gathering tournaments, which I also used to play a lot). Rather than throw them out, I bought his stock of them for $5.

All 75 of them. :getin:

They're still worthless.
You know, combine that with the Victini that lets you reflip coins, you might just have an Unlimited deck on your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Playing the tutorial or whatever, with the Red deck and I was rolling along until I got to the girl who has a Poison deck. She wiped the floor with me.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Never understood how to play this properly as a kid. I just liked collecting the Pokeymans. Despite the somewhat dodgy program it's been nice to actually get into it and understand it for once, though the fact that I can beat two Entei's in a row with a Serperior in the Quick Match games tells me that I might be in for a shock once I start facing actual people.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Mercury Crusader posted:

All 75 of them. :getin:

They're still worthless.
Please build a super cool gimmick deck with those.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
In as Cernunn0s.

Man I hope they get a better artist on this thing becuase :drat: those character/avatars. Staring into my soul; judging me. The program itself could use a somewhat less cumbersome/clunky interface but it's good enough for now.

I wonder if my brother has the redemption code for that deck he bought a while back still lying around...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Nahxela posted:

Please build a super cool gimmick deck with those.

At one point, I had a deck that involved those, along with Dark Weezing and the previously mentioned Sneasel in a really dumb "fill the bench and suicide out all the damage" deck. I would often use Challenge to try and fill the bench as fast as possible, but people got wise to that tactic and would always turn it down, so I would have to just Oak them out as quickly as possible.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Oh gently caress you too Cammie. First she spends the first half of the game using Pokemon Catchers and Crushing Hammers to make it impossible for me to do anything. Then she runs out of those, I get a fully-energied Arcanine, and I start wrecking poo poo... so she decides to just stop making moves, leaving me with forfeiting as the only way to get out of the match.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The only thing bad with this game is that it keeps getting hung up. I can interact with objects on the field but nothing happens.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mercury Crusader posted:

At one point, I had a deck that involved those, along with Dark Weezing and the previously mentioned Sneasel in a really dumb "fill the bench and suicide out all the damage" deck. I would often use Challenge to try and fill the bench as fast as possible, but people got wise to that tactic and would always turn it down, so I would have to just Oak them out as quickly as possible.
Even if they turn it down, it's still a loving Bill. Jesus.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
The AI in this game is incredible :allears:

I won a match without taking a single turn. Lost the coin flip, opponent has one active pokemon and no benches, decides to play a super scoop up. And gets heads on the coin toss. Away Golett goes :downs:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I think the AI follows the principle that playing cards is good. For instance, it seems to have no problem with playing tools then using tool wrecker to break them

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
I'm in as Chakadon but for some reason only god knows I can't click the friends option on the toolbar, it's greyed out. So I cannot make goonfriends to play cards with and I don't know why :smith:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Is the Noble Victories Victini the only pokemon that can affect the outcome of coin flips? Would like to know what I should be shooting for if there are any others.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Keiya posted:

I think the AI follows the principle that playing cards is good. For instance, it seems to have no problem with playing tools then using tool wrecker to break them

"Oh man that big ol' emboar is going to kill me!"

Cheren

"Oh poo poo and now he has card advantage"

SWITCH

"OH poo poo he's going to pump up his other thing while he potions his emboar on the bench further showing that I-

SWITCH

"... what? Did he really just double swap just b-

SWITCH

NyaoMyao
Mar 29, 2010

Super High School Level BFFs
I tried a novice PVP game and got put up against a dude who put out a Mewtwo EX card on his first turn. I think I'll play against the computer a little bit longer before I do that again.

In as NyaoMyao.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Keiya posted:

The AI seems to be programmed to just play every single Trainer card it can possibly play on its turn. This is most noticeable if you play against them at Expert difficulty, where they will have no qualms using Crushing Hammer on themselves if you happen to have no energy cards in play, using a Bianca to draw one card, using Pokemon Communicator and shuffling a Pokemon back in their deck to search for the exact same Pokemon, or as was mentioned above, using Super Scoop Up to return their last Pokemon. They will literally empty their entire hand whenever possible, regardless of how much it makes sense.

NyaoMyao posted:

I tried a novice PVP game and got put up against a dude who put out a Mewtwo EX card on his first turn. I think I'll play against the computer a little bit longer before I do that again.

Yeah, until you start getting a theme deck or two, and maybe a few boosters, I'd avoid random games, especially Unlimited (and Modified to an extent). The train of thought for most players seems to be "stack a lot of EX Pokemon with no semblance of actual strategy," which works against most Theme Decks and otherwise poorly constructed decks, but are poo poo against any deck with some kind of plan. I'm not running a lot of super great Pokemon in my current Unlimited deck (the rarest card in the deck is one Computer Search, and the rest are lower-tier rare Pokemon) but I've had a lot of success with it against people who play by that philosophy. EX Pokemon are tough as poo poo, but take a while to build up, have high retreat costs, and costs the user two prizes when they lose it. I'll figure out a way to post up my current Unlimited deck for a future post, but it's really dumb and works, so it should give you an idea of what can beat those kind of super-rare-stacked decks.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 1, 2013

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

What should I do with all these packs I have in my collection?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

setafd posted:

What should I do with all these packs I have in my collection?

Open them up. Specifically, go to the Packs tab, click the pack, and one of the buttons below it should let you open them. If they have the red lock number on it, they're untradeable, so they only thing you can really do with them is either open them up for cards or I guess just let them sit there and do nothing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well gently caress, the game that devoured my childhood now comes in a neat looking online form, I'm doomed.

Just registered and downloaded, gonna install it and mess around tomorrow and most likely become addicted all over again :argh:.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How do you deal with type disadvantages? I'm trying to go through the 1P game with the grass deck but the second opponent runs an all-fire deck that deals double damage against almost everyone I have.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Lottery of Babylon posted:

How do you deal with type disadvantages? I'm trying to go through the 1P game with the grass deck but the second opponent runs an all-fire deck that deals double damage against almost everyone I have.

Either try to run multiple types or find pokemon that don't have the common type disadvantages. In my green deck I run Serperior for my main line, but I also run a Haxorus line and 4 Bouffalant to keep myself from getting ruined if my opponent runs fire types.

e: Also wanna mention that in my purple deck Golurk has a dark type weakness, which is contrary to most purple type pokemon who are weak to purple. It's super handy because as far as I know it's one of the few psychic-types that isn't weak to itself.

Don't be afraid to splash some colorless pokemon into your deck! I always try to make sure that my deck has some colorless basics in it (pretty much always the 4 Bouffalant, I really like that card :shobon:) and it makes sure that I don't get completely ruined when my opponent is opposite my deck type.

Youremother fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 1, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Youremother posted:

Either try to run multiple types or find pokemon that don't have the common type disadvantages. In my green deck I run Serperior for my main line, but I also run a Haxorus line and 4 Bouffalant to keep myself from getting ruined if my opponent runs fire types.

e: Also wanna mention that in my purple deck Golurk has a dark type weakness, which is contrary to most purple type pokemon who are weak to purple. It's super handy because as far as I know it's one of the few psychic-types that isn't weak to itself.

Don't be afraid to splash some colorless pokemon into your deck! I always try to make sure that my deck has some colorless basics in it (pretty much always the 4 Bouffalant, I really like that card :shobon:) and it makes sure that I don't get completely ruined when my opponent is opposite my deck type.

I'm going through the trainer battles with the theme deck precons, so I don't have the option of running a deck with more colors or choosing to include Pokemon with weird weaknesses or adding another family of colorless Pokemon or basically doing anything that would require deckbuilding.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Just play against him normally and eventually the dogshit AI will ensure you win.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'm going through the trainer battles with the theme deck precons, so I don't have the option of running a deck with more colors or choosing to include Pokemon with weird weaknesses or adding another family of colorless Pokemon or basically doing anything that would require deckbuilding.

In that case, just switch decks to the type your opponent is weak against and switch back once you win. You really, really want to get all 3 starter decks so it's a good idea to get some wins on all of them.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...I literally haven't been able to play this game against someone since Gen 1. The last cards I got were back when Gen 3 was still new and I got a tin as birthday present.

...Well, better late than never to catch up. Anyone remember the old CD game?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

The grass deck comes with the bouffalant, as in

Use this, This is one of the best cards I think in the grass deck for how much work it takes to use. It's flat out a wham bam you're dead instantly dropped even able to be obtained on the first turn, put out a little useless duder to grab some energy on him and just sweep.

That's how I did it with green at least.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Turns out I didn't need any strategy - on my next attempt the computer only drew one basic Pokemon, so I won in a few turns when I knocked it out. Then I beat the poison trainer by letting her play a million draw cards and deck herself. Truly these are well-earned victories.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Forer posted:

Use this, This is one of the best cards I think in the grass deck for how much work it takes to use. It's flat out a wham bam you're dead instantly dropped even able to be obtained on the first turn, put out a little useless duder to grab some energy on him and just sweep.

Yeah, I just started and saw how nuts that card is. Half the time I could just drop it and win, since the A.I is too busy spamming energy switch.

Anywho, dunno how often I'll be playing this, but my screenname is IAMCRAIG.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Forer posted:

This card would be really good online against people who love to drop 3+ EX pokemon every match.

[e] Is there any way to load theme decks in your theme tab? I should have the B&W decks and the elec promo but the only theme decks that show up are the regular basics.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DrManiac posted:

This card would be really good online against people who love to drop 3+ EX pokemon every match.

This card is actually good, it's a component of some anti-meta decks, for precisely that reason. It trades well with EXs, can be faster than them, and it only "costs" one Prize rather than the two all EXs do.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Forer posted:

I did the same thing. If I get that card early it's game over for the AI. In as DukeSilver8 by the way.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 1, 2013

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Downloaded the client. The QR code reader is a godsend.

In as themadmilkman

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

One of the starter decks comes with Double Colorless Energy. For the early decks you build, you should probably run at least two of these dudes and 3 to 4 Double Colorless. Doing 120 turn two against a guy who is stacking EX Pokémon will probably make them concede defeat when he finds out you aren't as dumb as he is.

DrManiac posted:

[e] Is there any way to load theme decks in your theme tab? I should have the B&W decks and the elec promo but the only theme decks that show up are the regular basics.

You may have forgotten to open them. Theme decks count as packs, so go into your collection and the theme decks will be there. Open them up like a booster pack.

It's in the OP, but keep in mind that Power Relay and Basic Orange are not usable in the Trainer Challenge. As such, they are the only two decks you don't need to unlock cards for.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 1, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Did I miss how I'm supposed to get the grass, fire, and water theme decks? I installed, logged in, got my Fighting deck, but don't see any way to get the starter themes.

Also I'm Glitterball and I assume I'm terrible after not playing this game in forever.

edit: Nevermind, I was in the wrong place, not trainer challenges.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 1, 2013

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

This won't be the same when I can't wait every month for a new Pojo magazine and checking their website religiously. :colbert:

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

One of the starter decks comes with Double Colorless Energy.

The same one he's in infact, grass! It's the best.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I am dubbed...

JTheBrit!

...God I'm gonna get killed aren't I?

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Man this looks like it'll tide me over until hearthstone. I played the game boy game and some bootleg English translation of the second one a hell of a long time ago and I remember them being fun.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Worked my way through the soul-crushing tutorial just for the free tokens. Installing now to get some nostalgia on and to waste a little time :toot:

In as SA_Drone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Man, there was a guy called "dampe" or "danke" who had a website here, http://tcg2.midnightwaters.net/ . He was translating the TCG 2 GBC on his own for a good few years, and he was about 90% done. He had given up on it a couple years back after the babelfish translation released, it took the wind out of his sails since he was doing it as a labor of love I guess, I dunno. Either way sometime last year he started it up again, and then late last year said he was having financial issues, then his forums went dead, and now his site is dead too. Hope he's doing alright. :(

Anyways, the client is better than I remember, though it still feels sluggish which just throws me off. If it was just a bit more responsive at times and less like a bad flash game I could totally get extremely lost in this, but for now I'll just get super lost in it. This has even got me considering going and buying a tin of cards or at least a couple packs...come to think of it there was a group at a library half an hour away that probably still meets...geez what is this doing to me. :ohdear:

EDIT: Oh, if anyone would like to add me I'm MykonosFan. After work tonight I'll probably go through and add a lot of the people listed in the first page post.

• Locked thread