Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

In the HD version whipping pots just opens them. You have to throw something at them if you really want to be sure. Alternatively, the safest way to open these pots is by throwing them at a wall and then jumping on the contents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Well, how it works is that the whip has three separate points where it hits, and each has a different hit box. The first frame is the weirdest - it hits above and behind you. The second hits directly in front of you, and the third is a slightly longer hitbox than the second one but is basically the same.

So, if you're close enough to hit the pot with the second hitbox, you will hit whatever is inside with the third! :eng101:

I am pretty sure this doesn't work in the HD version, though. The hitbox thing is the same, but the enemy spawns a moment later so you don't instantly kill it now.

CannibalK9
Jun 4, 2009

We regret to inform you that, due to your recent performance, you have been demoted to Space Janitor. Your company-provided Space Mop can be found in the storage area that previously contained your personal belongings.
Even then by far the safest method is to hold your ground, whip once, then whip again if you find a baddy. Even if you come face-to-face with a cobra it won't have time to react before becoming giblets. I haven't been counting, but this has probably saved me a dozen lives.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
2:30 in episode 2
If you jump on an enemy that is also jumping, you get an extra boost upwards
This could probably be intentionally exploited to save ropes in places, but I've never done it

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's an interesting little stone room you found. I guess the guy inside it will start shooting right away when you blow your way in?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yep. Lots of treasure in the two chests in there, though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Those vaults are a good way to jump your score up pretty quickly if you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you're doing, though, I hope you like buckshot. :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Will getting the vault keeper mad also make all the merchants mad? He looks like a merchant.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mehuyael posted:

Will getting the vault keeper mad also make all the merchants mad? He looks like a merchant.

You bet your rear end it will. I just got this yesterday, but I'm finding that there is more money to be had in the remake than the original. At Lear it seems that way to me. Also, shopkeepers going hostile because of boulder traps. I do t recall that ever happening in the original. Probably because boulders have been beefed up substantially in their destructive power.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Green Intern posted:

Also, shopkeepers going hostile because of boulder traps. I do t recall that ever happening in the original. Probably because boulders have been beefed up substantially in their destructive power.

I've definitely had shopkeepers get upset when a boulder destroys their store. I'm pretty sure that anything that damages the store at all will cause them to get angry at you.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:
Shopkeepers will get angry at you for things that you have no control over. Red frog jumping in to spikes and exploding to close to a shop? Congratulations now you're a terrorist!

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Green Intern posted:

You bet your rear end it will. I just got this yesterday, but I'm finding that there is more money to be had in the remake than the original. At Lear it seems that way to me. Also, shopkeepers going hostile because of boulder traps. I do t recall that ever happening in the original. Probably because boulders have been beefed up substantially in their destructive power.

I'm pretty sure this is because boulders will now bounce off of walls and destroy lower parts of the level more easily. As I recall in the original, the boulders had a lot less physics in them, and the boulder trap was a lot more ignorable.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Roxors posted:

I'm pretty sure this is because boulders will now bounce off of walls and destroy lower parts of the level more easily. As I recall in the original, the boulders had a lot less physics in them, and the boulder trap was a lot more ignorable.

Yep. Nearly every boulder I've triggered in the remake has touched the bottom of the level, or come terribly close.

klez
Oct 23, 2010

Roxors posted:

In the original objects are only "active" when they're on screen. Everything off screen is frozen keeping their momentum until you reenter the screen. So a off screen boulder is essentially harmless since it never moves until you walk up to them. In the HD version things are more "normal" and will move around even if you aren't there, so boulder traps and shop will 99% trigger an angry shopkeeper.

BTW loving the lp eyeball, I suck at this game and still haven't beat it once--usually too careless and got kill right after I got something good...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In my experience with the original, boulders need to have at least a 3-wide gap in the floor if they're going to fall down to a lower level. Otherwise they just end up carving a horizontal tunnel at a single level of elevation, which means they're only going to damage shops if the shopkeeper is on the same level as the boulder.

Boulders (in the original) also lose speed quickly, so one that's moving slowly enough to fall down to a lower level probably will get stuck shortly thereafter. And I don't think they can crush walls from above, only from the sides.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

klez posted:

In the original objects are only "active" when they're on screen. Everything off screen is frozen keeping their momentum until you reenter the screen. So a off screen boulder is essentially harmless since it never moves until you walk up to them. In the HD version things are more "normal" and will move around even if you aren't there, so boulder traps and shop will 99% trigger an angry shopkeeper.

Yep. Unlike in the original, Spelunky HD keeps track of the whole level. Seems like a positive change in theory, right? Unfortunately, in practice, literally the only practical effect it has is making pissed-off shopkeepers a really dangerous, unavoidable fact of life instead of something you mostly had to bring upon yourself. We'll probably see more of that as this LP progresses further!

Iny fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 28, 2013

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's something of a balance issue though, because no other idols in the game are that difficult or full of disastrous consequences to pick up. In the original game they were kind of a bummer because they were fast enough to catch you off guard. Now they destroy all items in their path, have potential to break through floors, and keep rolling like physics doesn't exist to them. And you can't even disarm the trap in any way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

In the original game they were kind of a bummer because they were fast enough to catch you off guard.

The original Mines idols were the second-easiest to deal with (after Jungle idols) since all you needed was a 2-tile-tall platform to stand on, or a rope. Or a bomb; blowing up the tiles the idol is resting on disarms the trap. You should never end up accidentally destroying a shop unless you're being extremely careless.

Intentionally destroying a shop is a different matter entirely :unsmigghh:

I did have one level where the boulder managed to roll on top of the level exit, and I'd spent my last bomb getting a mattock out of a snake pit. Mattocks don't work on boulders :bang:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Psych's accent is so distinctive that I even hear it when reading his posts. :allears:

I attribute this to Psych being one of those rare types that speak and type with the exact same mannerisms.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I hadn't really seen this game played much before, but it really looks incredible. I think I may have to pick this up!

Definitely enjoying the LP - great work!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PotatoManJack posted:

I hadn't really seen this game played much before, but it really looks incredible. I think I may have to pick this up!

If you're at all interested, download the free version and give it a shot. There's even a Mac port now.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
And it's time to have another update. Into this video, we will see in more detail some stuff that the ghost can do and we finally get to see the next location of the game. What does it have in store for us? How long will we survive? There's only one way to find out.

Chapter 3 - Nice to Bee Here

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv-Fk1PwVeU

Lovin the LP, thanks Psych.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ahh, dark levels....screw dark levels. Great job with this video Psych.

And as was brought up in the last page of conversation, it seems in the remake that Boulder traps are very likely to be placed above shop keepers. Makes going for them less than inviting.

Could someone answer me a question. I was aware of the ghosts effects on gems, but does it do the same thing to idols?

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Could someone answer me a question. I was aware of the ghosts effects on gems, but does it do the same thing to idols?

Nope it only affects the large gems, nothing happens if it passes over an idol.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
I love watching the Rube Goldberg Deathtrap working its magic. That poor, poor damsel.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The jungle is probably the biggest hurdle for new players because the difficulty spikes up so much from the mines. I remember having lots of trouble with it in the original, and the original is much easier.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spelunky is wonderful. Really liked the original, like the remake even more. Still making the same stupid mistakes and snuffing it. Often in a "I wonder if I can do "x", oh no, I can't and I'm dead now" sort of way. You really have to have a sense of humour with this game. If you can't laugh at the occasional bullshit deaths that are only slightly your fault, you'll end up very mad at this game.

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

Does the Freeze Ray have a limit until it breaks? Like shooting it too much will cause it to break.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The freeze ray doesn't run out of freeze juice. It has far more overt, clever ways to get an aloof player killed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it coincidence or is Spelunky actually based on the old NES game Spelunker? I never heard either way for certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtIZJMTYIs

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

BoastfulVirus posted:

Does the Freeze Ray have a limit until it breaks? Like shooting it too much will cause it to break.

Yeah, none of the guns in this game have an ammo limit, which makes them all very good, except of course for the webshooter.

I wish the mystery box was priced a little lower, it really is priced too high considering how many mediocre or crap items it can give you. I love the idea of gambling on it, but it never feels at all worth it.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it coincidence or is Spelunky actually based on the old NES game Spelunker? I never heard either way for certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtIZJMTYIs

I don't know for sure but I'm fairly certain it's just coincidence. You don't see Spelunky guy dying from 1-inch falls, thankfully. He dies in much more manly ways, like being riddled with arrows and fighting off killer bees.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd be shocked if it wasn't where they got their inspiration. They're really similar.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
When Psych climbs further into this LP, I'd really like to see a blooper reel based around Anubis's scythe. Today I learned that trying to kill an angry shopkeeper with the scythe is a bad idea. Even worse when you have 80+ bombs and choose not to use them.

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

Roxors posted:

Yeah, none of the guns in this game have an ammo limit, which makes them all very good, except of course for the webshooter.

Gimbal lock posted:

The freeze ray doesn't run out of freeze juice. It has far more overt, clever ways to get an aloof player killed.

Thanks for answering my question! :)

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Bees?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4MqTCIDKhU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm thinking more of a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-tl6GBOBo

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Smash Daisaku posted:

I don't know for sure but I'm fairly certain it's just coincidence. You don't see Spelunky guy dying from 1-inch falls, thankfully. He dies in much more manly ways, like being riddled with arrows and fighting off killer bees.

There's no way it's coincidence at all. Derek Yu has even said at some point(I couldn't find the article, maybe it was in a thread on TIGSource?) that the game was inspired by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

bathroomrage posted:

There's no way it's coincidence at all. Derek Yu has even said at some point(I couldn't find the article, maybe it was in a thread on TIGSource?) that the game was inspired by it.

I couldn't find the article either (though I found multiple people referencing it). I did find this archived interview from 2005 where he says that it was the NES that made him want to make games, though.

• Locked thread