Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Hot shadow technology, straight from the pros:
Big-rear end lighting squares are because the lighting is changing the color of the vertices of the polygons on the wall (vertex lighting). Small squares (or no squares) are usually a form of pixel lighting, where the color change is happening on the textures rather than on the sparse corners between actual polygons. Whether you see small pixels or none at all depends on how the projection is made, memory allocation, and other fun stuff.

Vertex lighting is shittier but way cheaper, hence why they could afford to do pixel lighting on xbox but they had to go with a cheapo hybrid on ps2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
This has been amazing, haha. Really enjoying watching your ride and now I have to go back and watch the old videos, it looks like.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Watching K&K discover the hidden wonders of the inventory screen was magical. :allears:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm glad they're still unable to deal with the ampoule descriptions in the slightest. It's just the best health item, guys.

Supersonic Buddha
Sep 6, 2010

Inertia is a property of matter.
Ampoules are full heals and give you unlimited stamina for a short time. If you notice Heather is running slower or panting when she's not moving it's because she's low on stamina, it regenerates if you stand still for a few seconds. I think you also swing weapons slower? I don't remember, I only know that fighting and running drains it.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I actually didn't understand to what the thing about "strength" in the ampoule description referred until reading the above post.

I find it amazing that they're/there/their still has to be covered at the college level. We had a comprehensive unit on homonyms in seventh grade, and even then, it seemed to be way late to cover the subject. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, though; my last experience of college-level English was a lit course that demanded four essays total, which everyone really, really struggled to write. We had to take extra time going through the analytical papers on each work we were supposed to read because so many people didn't understand the vocab used in them.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Blenheim posted:

I actually didn't understand to what the thing about "strength" in the ampoule description referred until reading the above post.

I find it amazing that they're/there/their still has to be covered at the college level. We had a comprehensive unit on homonyms in seventh grade, and even then, it seemed to be way late to cover the subject. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, though; my last experience of college-level English was a lit course that demanded four essays total, which everyone really, really struggled to write. We had to take extra time going through the analytical papers on each work we were supposed to read because so many people didn't understand the vocab used in them.
I had a sophomore english class where the homework for 3 nights in a row would be to read/reread/rereread an essay and take notes a different way each time. WE WERE BEING TAUGHT HOW TO TAKE NOTES I AM NOT IN 3RD GRADE

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm currently in a college literature class where I've gotten in trouble for going to the bathroom :wtc:

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

In my honors senior English class, we never had to read anything. The teacher read everything to us while we ostensibly followed along.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm glad you're limited to such a small fraction of the plaza to run around in. I can't imagine searching the whole place in this darkness.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I was about to suggest that you could go to the Aesop's Bagels that was in the student union here at BU but they recently shut it down and converted it to a pinkberry. Looks like you're SOL on Aesop's :smith: it had such good bagels, too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
People didn't like Silent Hill 3's original voice acting? I mean 2's was hilariously awful, but what the hell is supposed to be wrong with Heather's voice?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Somethingdumb posted:

WE WERE BEING TAUGHT HOW TO TAKE NOTES I AM NOT IN 3RD GRADE

I teach 11th and 12th grade and have to do this. Most children would rather gently caress around than put pen to paper

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's kind of sad that 12th graders are still easily described as "children" really.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

It's kind of sad that 12th graders are still easily described as "children" really.

adolescents is harder to spell

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

The Sharmat posted:

I'm young enough to remember 12th grade vividly. Children is about as apt a descriptor as you can get.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Episode 04: Amateur Chemistry
Our progress through the shopping mall... progresses.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Cloudy 2 is a sequel with a lot of respect for the original but it doesn't measure up in any way, except maybe arm floppiness. If you liked it at all go see the first one, written by the guys behind 21 Jump Street and Clone High.

Also Silent Hill stuff; poison gas and whatever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Hotel for barbecued dogs?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I can't believe I had to watch you slog through that loving horseshit again. Pay attention before you decide to reload mid video next time. Jesus.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
You did a good job :unsmith:

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

I am really impressed you guys managed that insecticide puzzle so quickly. I completely expected you to look at that bin once, disregard it and then going wandering around getting gradually more frustrated for the rest of the video.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I'm sure you've already recorded the next video, but gameplay-wise, you DID want to go back through that door you unlocked; it's a shortcut back to the moon door, that you now have the moon pearl for.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Pneub posted:

I can't believe I had to watch you slog through that loving horseshit again. Pay attention before you decide to reload mid video next time. Jesus.

Your mistake is thinking you HAD to watch anything.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
Re: the room with the roasted dog, the way I always saw it was that the difference between the Resident Evil games and the Silent Hill games is that in RE if you're convinced something is going to pop up and attack you, it will - and in Silent Hill it never does. I find the latter much more unnerving. I've played Silent Hill 3 through many times and still I feel like on this playthrough, surely, one of those bunny rabbit costumes is going to suddenly come to life... :gonk:

I'm so proud of you for figuring that bleach-detergent puzzle so quickly. :3:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Snoop Radley posted:

Re: the room with the roasted dog, the way I always saw it was that the difference between the Resident Evil games and the Silent Hill games is that in RE if you're convinced something is going to pop up and attack you, it will - and in Silent Hill it never does. I find the latter much more unnerving. I've played Silent Hill 3 through many times and still I feel like on this playthrough, surely, one of those bunny rabbit costumes is going to suddenly come to life... :gonk:

I'm so proud of you for figuring that bleach-detergent puzzle so quickly. :3:

Isn't SH3 the one with the cheap severed head flying bed jump scare?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spergminer posted:

What? No

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spergminer posted:

Think that's Silent Hill 4.

And I don't think it counts as a cheap jump scare when the game almost never uses them so it genuinely takes you entirely by surprise.

GrandHound
Jun 8, 2013

It Doesn't Matter If You're Alone.
I've never played any the Silent Hills myself, though I've researched their stories and lore to the point where I know near all of it offhand, so it's absolutely great to see you guys going through them. I just marathoned all of 1, 2 and what you've done of 3 to catch up and I've been really enjoying it so far. Great work guys, can't wait until the next update.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Goddamnit, I hate how much I love how much I hate you guys.

Good job on that puzzle sooner rather than later, but still! Soon as he said 'mustard gas' I thought you were gonna' nail it in the first go.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Snoop Radley posted:

I've played Silent Hill 3 through many times and still I feel like on this playthrough, surely, one of those bunny rabbit costumes is going to suddenly come to life... :gonk:

That would have been cool if they did that with Robbie, but more subtle. Like if you turned the camera away and then back, the suit would have it's head turned the other way or a limb was moved, and only rarely to really gently caress with you and make you think you're paranoid.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Nah, the Robbies are all dead because someone already shot them all.

Meanwhile, I can't watch this video for a couple days, and the reason's going to give you guys a big head. I sometimes watch LPs around my girlfriend, while she does something else or whatever. This is especially true in bed where she falls asleep much easier than I, so if I have something quiet and unoffensive, we can have that play while she goes to sleep (She likes to have something on when she does). Starting with the Mario Sweater game LP, she's started to get used to the Runbutton sound, and likes you guys. I attribute your "podcast" qualities of having pleasant voices and good rapport, as well as constantly attempting to keep the conversation interesting and funny. So without her being much of a video game fan (despite her owning a PS2 and a Dreamcast :iiam: ) she has grown to enjoy listening to Runbutton LPs. So that means I have to save them for when we're together. Thanks a lot you overly-pleasant jerks!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

A weird technical issue: When I full-screen these videos, I the Youtube player stays the same size but just adds a black border like so:

I wouldn't post about it here, except that it happens on all 4 Silent Hill videos, but no other Youtube videos (including your Mario videos) and happens on three different computers using different browsers and operating systems. Anybody else having this strange problem?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

dantheman650 posted:

A weird technical issue: When I full-screen these videos, I the Youtube player stays the same size but just adds a black border like so:

I wouldn't post about it here, except that it happens on all 4 Silent Hill videos, but no other Youtube videos (including your Mario videos) and happens on three different computers using different browsers and operating systems. Anybody else having this strange problem?

Try updating flash?

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

The Sharmat posted:

Think that's Silent Hill 4.

And I don't think it counts as a cheap jump scare when the game almost never uses them so it genuinely takes you entirely by surprise.
If he's referring to what I think he's referring to, it's also kind of rare and you don't get it every time you play. Silent Hill does have the occasional jump scare, but I was more referring to that particular brand of jump scare where you're expecting x to happen. If it does happen you jump, if it doesn't you are stuck waiting for it... and waiting for it...

I'm not putting Resident Evil down, it's just that if I had to explain how the horror styles of the two series differ, that would be it in a nutshell.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!

I'm sorry but I'm autistic:

Mustard Gas

Bleach

Ammonia

The toxic gas formed is chloramine, a highly reactive gas that forms deadly hydrazines. Death can also occur from the chlorine gas intermediate, which is impressively toxic/corrosive.

This misconception really strikes a nerve with me for whatever reason :sigh:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Axe Master posted:

I'm sorry but I'm :spergin:

Hey it's alright bro, it's just a colloquial term for the noxious gas you get from mixing those cleaners. Probably will do your nerves good to not let this bother you, hth.

It was a good chempost though!

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
:ssh: I wasn't being entirely serious.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Axe Master posted:

I'm sorry but I'm autistic:

Mustard Gas

Bleach

Ammonia

The toxic gas formed is chloramine, a highly reactive gas that forms deadly hydrazines. Death can also occur from the chlorine gas intermediate, which is impressively toxic/corrosive.

This misconception really strikes a nerve with me for whatever reason :sigh:

So it doesn't create ice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

an overdue owl posted:

I am really impressed you guys managed that insecticide puzzle so quickly. I completely expected you to look at that bin once, disregard it and then going wandering around getting gradually more frustrated for the rest of the video.

It still blows my mind how they can gently caress up Mario games but totally breeze through the Silent Hill series.

• Locked thread