Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I think it's a lot easier to escape from an attacker in Nether than in most other survival games. My impression is that characters are a lot more nimble, so trying to aim at someone who is hopping and dashing about with a few meters of you can be a bitch, and hipfiring is wildly inaccurate. If you get the drop on someone, they're hosed, though.

Yeah, having a character with maxed stamina skills really lets you escape someone pretty fast, as you ridiculously leap over cars.

Shadefyre fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971749407

Steam ID for anyone that wasn't to play some nether

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm kind of interested by the game. Is it already something fun to play yet, or does it need a bit more polish?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

I think it's a lot easier to escape from an attacker in Nether than in most other survival games. My impression is that characters are a lot more nimble, so trying to aim at someone who is hopping and dashing about with a few meters of you can be a bitch, and hipfiring is wildly inaccurate. If you get the drop on someone, they're hosed, though.

Yeah, even with the arcade style combat, its hard to hit a moving target. That coupled with the scarcity of ammo and the fact that youre going to be aggroing mad nether, its a tough call.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

always be closing posted:

Yeah, even with the arcade style combat, its hard to hit a moving target. That coupled with the scarcity of ammo and the fact that youre going to be aggroing mad nether, its a tough call.

Yeah, I had that happen to me. Guy pulls out a gun, so I respond by pulling mine out and blasting him away. I aggro 3 crawlers and a shrieker from the shooting and a nearby guy sees fit to start stabbing me. I died pretty quick. :v:

Killed the stabby guy and two of the crawlers before biting it, though.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Iceclaw posted:

I'm kind of interested by the game. Is it already something fun to play yet, or does it need a bit more polish?

Depends on what you mean by "polish." As it stands, the game is totally playable, unless you're one of the people who cannot download the game. I'm inclined to chalk that up to people being loving idiots. It's a solid proof of concept, just as most of the other survival games are. There is no guarantee it will ever move beyond that. If you compare this to the other survival games (DayZ, WarZ, whatever), then I'm inclined to say that Nether is almost as complete as those games are. In terms of content, Nether cuts both ways. It only has something like ten firearms and some melee weapons that are very similar, but its enemies are unique and a lot more interesting and threatening than zombies. The map is very open, and most buildings are explorable, even if they are a bit too empty. It's a sandbox survival game. If that's your cup of tea, go for it. Otherwise, sit tight and wait for beta keys. I can't promise that it will be $30 worth of fun, but it's getting pretty close to that point for me. I think having goons to play with would definitely seal the deal, but the random spawns complicate that presently.

always be closing posted:

Really glad to hear that I'm not just bad at shooting mans. I've emptied assault rifle clips into the air around zigzagging dudes to no effect at least twice. Shotguns are just as bad; their spread is almost too tight.

Also, you mentioned the Reaper, Protocol. How the hell do you loving find it when it spawns? There is no indicator on the map and he's not around for long enough to have a search party. I also heard he can one-shot people, so...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Also, you mentioned the Reaper, Protocol. How the hell do you loving find it when it spawns? There is no indicator on the map and he's not around for long enough to have a search party. I also heard he can one-shot people, so...

It's mostly luck. He randomly spawns wherever the gently caress, and I don't exactly know where. But I think he only sticks around for like five minutes, so good luck finding him in the giant maze that is the current map if he isn't immediately nearby.

I forgot to screencap it when I saw it, so here are some screens because gently caress, this game is pretty sometimes.

See these and more here.

http://imgur.com/a/oVdr3

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I gotta say, they need to turn the rate at which these fuckers teleport down. God help you if you get more than two or three on you; they'll just teleport around you until you get clipped into the curb or something and then mob you.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Just had an extremely productive looting run. The haul includes an automatic shotgun, long range scoped hunting rifle, a silenced semi auto rifle, 2 pistols, a plethora of ammo, and almost $200 cash. All this amidst cries of people unable to find loot. My best advice is to get high and scope out the rooftops around you. Tents and smoke plumes are your friends. Also those tall buildings with the central staircase/ramps seem to have a high number of potential loot spawns. Good luck out there goons!

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

It's cute how it's been ten years since the apocalypse and the helicopter crashes are still on fire, and the ambulance lights are still going.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Uranium 235 posted:

It's cute how it's been ten years since the apocalypse and the helicopter crashes are still on fire, and the ambulance lights are still going.

The remnanta of society might be using ambulances and choppers.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

The remnanta of society might be using ambulances and choppers.
Not gonna sperg out on it any more than this, but how are they getting fuel?

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Someone should start a steam group, start hanging out in Lumbering Troll's mumble or something.

VVV That IS Lumbering Troll's mumble. :haw:

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 11, 2013

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Or we could use this Mumble, since it's the one I could find information for. In any case, I'll be playing for a bit tonight, I think. My Steam account is upthread.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I went ahead and made a Steam Group, it's public so you can join, or don't join whatever.
I'll be idling in the CTS Mumble, I've already created a Nether channel.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I joined the group.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

First off, my global is full of stuff. To the point that I could arm a squad. I've got even more poo poo in my character's inventory, and I'd rather not just drop that poo poo when I take a spike bath, so seriously, someone hit me up. I will give you free stuff and show you where all the good poo poo spawns. Which leads into my second topic...

I keep hearing pubbies bitch about how there is "no loot," and how "the lack of the loot is killing this game," and as you might suspect, this is complete bullshit. The loot is there, you just have to know where to look for it, which means you actually need to a) do some exploring, and b) remember what types of buildings and areas tend to have loot. The southeast section of the map is actually a pretty lucrative area, in that I'm pretty sure you can find just about anything you'd actually want to find there. Assuming you are starting from the safe zone, here is a nice, easy loot run:

1. Head south out of the safe zone and turn right. You should be looking to the east, down Madison. A block to the east, there should be a track you can walk up onto.

2. Walk up onto the track and take a left turn, walking across the boards to the scaffolding. You should have two options, the first being to head up the scaffolding to the roof, the second being to turn left again and head around the front of the building. Do the second.

3. Continue around the front until you reach the end of the wooden scaffolding. You should be able to see that it is possible to continue around to the north side of the building by walking on the concrete lip running around the building. Turning around the corner on this lip should land you in something of an alleyway, in which an inaccessible fire escape is visible. Head forward, then drop down into the open area to the your left. There should be a bunch of medical supplies and/or food.

4. Climb up the rubble. Sprint-jump onto the ledge to your west. Head around it to get out of this area, dropping down into an alleyway.

5. Continue into the alleyways of the block immediately to the east. In the southeast corner of this block, there should be a tall, dilapidated building. Take a good look at it because these buildings typically have loot in them, especially on the top floor. Head up the ramp and search any floor that has tents on it. Specifically check the top floor and the floor two floors below the top. The CRU (hunting rifle) and the RAB (semi-auto silenced sniper) are known to spawn here, along with other things like ammo, money, and pistols.

6. Head north, up State, until you hit the museum. Check it out, it also spawns the RAB and CRU, among other things.

7. Hit the safe zone or switch servers. Or explore more and figure out a better run.

I've also put some blue boxes around the buildings and blocks that I have personally observed to spawn a solid amount of useful things. The main trick to getting items is to go to lower-population servers and to stick to the outskirts of the map, where people don't tend to go. For example, in the southeast section, there is a rooftop with a flaming chopper on top that is easily accessed and has had a CRU there every time I've gone up.

Please do not believe that this is a comprehensive list of all the stuff I know of. I can't remember it all particularly well, and I'm not motivated enough to be any more meticulous about recording this poo poo than I already have been.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I really don't get the loot hording mentality for these games. Grab gun, shoot mans, repeat.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A watched Lirik play this poo poo for an hour.
If you like random lag spikes, enemies that teleport away every 4 seconds, and Diablo 2 town runner/safezone PK faggotry this might just be the game for you!

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

How big is the group of people playing this? My experience from other survival horror games is that they are basically poo poo unless you roll with some people. Even if it's only one other person.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Orv posted:

I really don't get the loot hording mentality for these games. Grab gun, shoot mans, repeat.

Its more for after you die. instead on taking 30+ minutes to grab more guns you just re log and give new character guns to go soot mans.

Spankydoodle
Jun 15, 2002

Orv posted:

Seems to be a holdover from WarZ. Last time I checked these days WarZ players are just loot farming for hours on private servers where they're the only players only to lose their gear in a fraction of that time on public servers.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BERGfu posted:

How big is the group of people playing this? My experience from other survival horror games is that they are basically poo poo unless you roll with some people. Even if it's only one other person.

You can count on me to be playing at a minimum. Goon group has 8 members as of now.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

You can count on me to be playing at a minimum. Goon group has 8 members as of now.

I've yet to play with any goons yet.

The ingame voice is horrible, everyone should be using the CTS mumble... I get lonely all by myself in there. :cry:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Are you down to play right now Robzilla? I have money burning a hole in my pocket right now and I need something to distract me from my lovely spending habits.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Protocol7 posted:

Are you down to play right now Robzilla? I have money burning a hole in my pocket right now and I need something to distract me from my lovely spending habits.

lovely spending habits which include food hah.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Orv posted:

There is no loot hording mentality, unless you're functionally retarded, as I suppose most pubbies are. I keep a couple extra top-tier guns in my global, along with stacks of ammo (because seriously, save your ammo). There is no room for anything else. At the same time, simply playing this as "COD, except you have to find a gun first," is a pretty shallow way to approach the game. If anything, the main issue is that, if you roam around looting and leveling your character, you end up with way more poo poo than you need, and it feels like a waste to carry around a bunch of guns, waiting to die.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

I joined the group as well, I think I actually played with you by chance the other day Robzilla.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Cobaltshift posted:

I joined the group as well, I think I actually played with you by chance the other day Robzilla.

Oh poo poo, yeah, I think we were getting sniped by one dude I tried to be clever and stealth behind him and end up botching it. Good times :allears:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Shout out to Loc-nar, Shanks and Robzilla - I had a blast last night. We should get more goon groups together, it makes it extremely fun and as an added bonus, I don't die every 5 minutes.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I know a bunch of us playing last night we're having latency issues.

"KPopp @ playernether.com forums posted:

We’ve identified possible problems that might be causing the lag that has been seen over the past few days. In addition to server restarts today, on Friday we will have a patch which will further address sporadic lag issues. Patch notes will be posted with full patch information closer to Friday.

Right now we will be doing the server restarts to help some of the lagging though it might not fix all issues. Servers may not all go down at once but as each region is reset they will be down for up to 45 minutes.

We will continue to monitor lag issues so we can offer the best gaming experience for Nether. From this point forward we will be doing rolling maintenance on servers with minimal downtime to ensure they are running at peak performance.

Thank you all for your patience! See you in game!
Lag-Issues-Server-Restart

Oh good, because trying to hit a Nether or another player with melee/gun with a 1 second delay kinda sucks. Hopefully the patch on Friday will help.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Shout out to Loc-nar, Shanks and Robzilla - I had a blast last night. We should get more goon groups together, it makes it extremely fun and as an added bonus, I don't die every 5 minutes.

Hell yeah. Need to hit some higher-pop servers, maybe, but not until the lag is fixed. Impossible hit anything with the hunting rifle when the gun fires a second after you press the mouse button.

I'm wondering if it's some kind of memory-leak-type-thing, since things weren't always this bad, and it seems to vary across servers. I appreciate their good sense to restart servers rather than soldier on until Friday, in any case.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Hell yeah. Need to hit some higher-pop servers, maybe, but not until the lag is fixed. Impossible hit anything with the hunting rifle when the gun fires a second after you press the mouse button.

I'm wondering if it's some kind of memory-leak-type-thing, since things weren't always this bad, and it seems to vary across servers. I appreciate their good sense to restart servers rather than soldier on until Friday, in any case.

I think guns are fine, the delay just seems to be with the sound and muzzle flash response. I shoot once and it seems to respond to the shot just fine, but the sound doesn't play unless I shoot again and the server realizes what I do.

The melee combat just sucks, though.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

I think guns are fine, the delay just seems to be with the sound and muzzle flash response. I shoot once and it seems to respond to the shot just fine, but the sound doesn't play unless I shoot again and the server realizes what I do.

The melee combat just sucks, though.

You sure about that? I think it might vary. I ended up heading up to the railyard last night to try to farm some of those exploding dudes for easy experience, but I couldn't even loving hit them with a melee. Instead, they'd hit me, which is really embarrassing. Whipped out my pistol because gently caress that, I've got plenty of 9mm, fired off a few rounds and... nothing. Then a second later, four silent shots in succession. Decided to call it a night after that.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Bwahaha, I've been looking for a RAB since I lost mine and I finally got one... from a guy who tried to kill me with it.

While following Lucifer's route for scavenging (thanks by the way.) I was on my way to the last star before heading to the museum outpost, when I hear the sound of bullets impacting around me. I dove prone behind a car since I was out in the middle of the street since there isn't much cover crossing over Ohio in that block. Split second decision to run towards the last star, a couple bullets start impacting me and decide to run serpentine to make use of his most likely lovely delay.

I make it inside and I look for a place to bandage while keeping a close eye on the door. I hear the click of reloading followed by the tell tale snarl of a Nether aggroing. I grind as I see him around across my field of vision, I run around pillars knowing his focus is on the Nether and not I. I hear him fires at the Nether killing it, I pop around the corner and fire at him killing him. Needless to say, even with a military backpack, when I log in next, I NEED to get to a safe zone to sell it all.

Sweet sweet spoils of victory :allears:

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 14, 2013

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
WarZ burned me bro. If this is in beta like it says, I would expect a pricing less then the 30 its asking for. I'm not shelling out that much for beta. Unless this is their beta pricing, which is kinda redonk.

If it was 15 I'd be more willing to lighten my wallet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stringbean posted:

WarZ burned me bro. If this is in beta like it says, I would expect a pricing less then the 30 its asking for. I'm not shelling out that much for beta. Unless this is their beta pricing, which is kinda redonk.

If it was 15 I'd be more willing to lighten my wallet.

Early Access games typically don't get a substantial discount off their prices, so what it is now is what'll be at launch.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Ran with Robzilla and Protocol tonight. Not a lot of action, so we tried, with moderate success, to retake the safe zone. Turns out going in guns blazing is a bad strategy. Also turns out the reward for repairing the safe zone is total poo poo, especially once you need 500+ experience to level up.

Edit: Just confirmed that retaking the safe zone is only worth 100 experience. As much as killing two Crawlers. Yeah.

Apparently the Reaper drops cosmetic gear, though...

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 14, 2013

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Ran with Robzilla and Protocol tonight. Not a lot of action, so we tried, with moderate success, to retake the safe zone. Turns out going in guns blazing is a bad strategy. Also turns out the reward for repairing the safe zone is total poo poo, especially once you need 500+ experience to level up.

Edit: Just confirmed that retaking the safe zone is only worth 100 experience. As much as killing two Crawlers. Yeah.

Apparently the Reaper drops cosmetic gear, though...

Haha, the best part was training like 8 crawlers, a 2 watchers and a hunter. Killing them all, and then training more which got onto you.

Which I was thankful for because Watchers can outrun humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I killed a lot of crawlers, but not before getting absolutely massacred by at least 8 nether.

Basically, my last experience with rescuing the save haven.

• Locked thread