Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I can see why people are calling this game the "Real Resident Evil" game because it seems significantly creepy and atmospheric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Been a long while due to all sorts of nonsense, but we're back!

Chapter 6: Cat & Mouse
Chapter 6-1: The Name Game, (Uncut Commentary)
Chapter 6-2: Parker's Bad Night, (Uncut Commentary)
Raid Mode Stage 11, 12 starring Luthenex

Enemies

Draghignazzo
-A horrifying mix of a shellfish and human thanks to the t-Abyss virus. Its carapace is completely impenetrable to all forms of attacks, forcing you to attack the fleshy bits on its side, hand and heads. He won't take this lightly though: along with a charge that covers all of his weak points, he also has a knockdown attack to keep you in place so he can tackle you.

Raid Mode info

Jessica Sherawat, FBC outfit (i.e. The Mei-Ling costume, thanks Luthenex)
-Machine Gun Mastery 2: Reloads MG's 50% faster and fires 25% faster
-Rifle Mastery 2: Reloads rifles 50% faster and fires 18% faster
-Shadow Dancer: Easier to dodge attacks (Larger dodge window by mashing W or Space)
-Melee attack: Horizontal knife swipe
-Execution: An Axe Kick.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

:ughh:, the live-action "Resident Evil" movies. Or as other people (myself included) call them: "Paul W.S. Anderson's 'Mila Jovovich exploitation series'".

I still don't know how Anderson managed to fart out more than one of those films, let alone FIVE of them.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

They actually addressed why the ship has so many traps on it a few episodes ago. The ship was built from plans left behind by George Trevor, the dude who was the architect for the original two mansions in RE1/REmake and RE0, and the Antarctic mansion in CV.

Of course, why they built a luxury cruise liner designed by a madman who had to have fetishized elaborate, cartoon style death traps so much that he designed an entire set of plans for a cruise liner equipped with them, without a commission or anything, is another issue entirely, but it is a nice touch that there's that little bit of continuity.

Kudos on the LP though! Really enjoying it

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ishikabibble posted:

Of course, why they built a luxury cruise liner designed by a madman who had to have fetishized elaborate, cartoon style death traps so much that he designed an entire set of plans for a cruise liner equipped with them, without a commission or anything, is another issue entirely, but it is a nice touch that there's that little bit of continuity.

George Trevor was a famous architect in the RE-verse, which is why the ship has the weird key system, but the traps weren't exactly his signature move. That was Ozwell Spencer, last seen getting his ribcage pierced in RE5.

The traps on the ship aren't really explained directly but they obliquely hint at it in a file that I don't think is in the game yet. Discussing it would be a spoiler.

AradoBalanga posted:

:ughh:, the live-action "Resident Evil" movies. Or as other people (myself included) call them: "Paul W.S. Anderson's 'Mila Jovovich exploitation series'".

I still don't know how Anderson managed to fart out more than one of those films, let alone FIVE of them.

They make mad money.

A lot of those films made more sense to me when I found out Anderson was married to Jovovich.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Ol' Draggy is one of my favorite RE bosses. The elevator sequence does a nice job building up interest in what the thing looks like, then it drops down on you only a few minutes later.

Draggy is also one of the most confusing bosses design-wise; sure, his soft parts call to mind an oyster or some other mollusk, but he also has what appear to be crab legs sticking out of his left shoulder.

I like to to think of it as two creatures working together; the head with the tentacle belongs to the torso and controls the legs, while the head with hair control the arm and is actually stuck to the other guy like an abalone or limpet.

You can also interpret it as the two halves of a bivalve shell, like a clam or oyster, in which case the crab legs are probably the remnants of a pea crab, a tiny crustacean that lives inside live oysters.

In any case, it would explain why you can scan it multiple times.

PumpkinBat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 5, 2014

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

PumpkinBat posted:

I like to to think of it as two creatures working together; the head with the tentacle belongs to the torso and controls the legs, while the head with hair control the arm and is actually stuck to the other guy like an abalone or limpet.

You can also interpret it as the two halves of a bivalve shell, like a clam or oyster, in which case the crab legs are probably the remnants of a pea crab, a tiny crustacean that lives inside live oysters.

In any case, it would explain why you can scan it multiple times.

When you stun them in raid mode they fall apart so that's probably how they work. I had trouble with this boss because I had next to no ammo and herbs until I went and got the sniper rifle that I missed.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Chapter 7: The Regia Solis

Chapter 7-1: Five Minute Metroidvania, (Uncut Commentary)
Chapter 7-2: Rocket Jump, (Uncut Commentary),
Raid Mode DLC "Unboxing vid", Special thanks to this guy for contributing.

Text Dump: Veltro Agent's Journal 1

Text Dump: Suicide Note

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm so glad the DLC was useful-I aim to temporarily confuse and frighten. I'd try to get in on this, but the grind of getting levels is the last thing I need while I'm in full-time grad school.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Jeez did they get the intern to write that first note?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I'm usually the Capcom apologist in the room, but their translations on the RE series's files have been very shaky for years, to the point where they often compromise the files' actual meaning.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I know this isn't what you mean, but I'd love to imagine a terrorist organization like Veltro having interns.

"Cheap effective terrorism! That's the Veltro way!"

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Chapter 8: All On The Line

Chapter 8-1: Waterlogged, (Uncut Commentary)
Chapter 8-2: Chris' Shooting Gallery, (Uncut Commentary),

Due to my bad pacing, next update will compensate for one story vid with 2 Raid Mode vids.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jessica...you were "meh" to me before. But now you've killed David Bowie. You have crossed the line.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can't believe I wasted money on the kind of bastard that would skip an ammo case. You monster. Reported.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't believe I wasted money on the kind of bastard that would skip an ammo case. You monster. Reported.

This is why you don't LP after midnight.

A keen eye will notice one other thing I missed

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
Is Jessica an FBC mole, or just trigger-happy?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

My money is on her and Bowie being in cahoots, either for FBC or for a Mysterious Outside Organization. According to Capcom story writing logic, if either of them were real rival/boss material, there would've already been a cutscene demonstrating that both of them were hypercompetent so that you would be afraid when appeared to attack you after a lengthy period disappeared or dead. Instead, both of them have been depicted as less competent than the red-blooded main characters. You also don't play as either of them directly ingame. No one in a Capcom game is ever actually incompetent unless they're comedy relief- they're always faking it so that they can surprise the player later on. This makes these sidekicks more likely to be infiltrators pretending to have a lack of battle prowess, who won't have a direct ingame confrontation.

I'm betting on Jessica dying for reals during the climax of the story, probably after some more inexplicable actions, and that Bowie's death was faked. He'll appear after the credits, probably speaking to Wesker on a cell phone, telling him what a shame it was his partner had to die- but he got the virus sample, so now the project can continue. Cue "The End?" and another hanging plot thread that will get resolved in a single bonus document exclusive to the Japanese version of Resident Evil 8.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 5, 2014

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
I'm kinda 'over' the whole swimming section thing. As tense as it is to play it just seems like you're not really doing anything worthwhile to advance the plot. Barely get to shoot poo poo even.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I'm kinda 'over' the whole swimming section thing. As tense as it is to play it just seems like you're not really doing anything worthwhile to advance the plot. Barely get to shoot poo poo even.

I can see why they did it, they're putting you in a vulnerable scenario where you can't fight back easily. Its good for tension, keeps you nervous.

But yeah it's pretty boring. The roach-zeds aren't much of a threat. Maybe if they included those floppy fish we saw in the jungle as well it'd be more exhilarating.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw crap. When you say you know everything you're pretty much always going to die before you can say any of it.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Uh, so I was going to mention that this game was on sale on steam, but now it's apparently not anymore? What the gently caress?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Chapter 8-3: Reunion, (Uncut Commentary)
(Raid Mode stage 15) guest starring my friend Tzar
Raid Mode Outtakes: Oh god help!

New Enemy

[timg]http://lpix.org/1628618/rerev 2014-01-20 16-57-31-473.avi_snapshot_09.57_[2014.03.17_11.23.55].jpg[/timg]
Scarmiglione
-A terrifying new enemy based on a shark infected with t-Abyss. His shield will block any attack completely, and it's context sensitive so he will actively block where you are aiming! Unlike most t-Abyss BOWs, the Scarmiglione doesn't outright die initally: If you primarily damaged his upper body he explodes and becomes a walking electric eel thing, if you focused on his legs then he will crawl on his shield and sword to attack you still.

Raid Mode info

Clive O'brien: Unlocked by reaching player level 20

Handgun Mastery 5: Increases reload spead by 150% and fire rate by 75% for handguns. (G18 useage :fap: )
Grenade Mastery 1: Grenade Blast radius increased by 180%
Melee attack: Horizontal knife swipe
Execution: Some kinda elbow drop or karate shop? I'm not exactly sure

Morgan Lansdale: Unlocked by clearing all stages on Trench difficulty. For reference, we're on Chasm.

Rifle mastery 3: Increases reload speed by 80% and fire rate by 25% for rifles
Magnum Mastery 2: Increases reload speed by 50% and fire rate by 25% for magnums
Melee attack: Too busy dealing with time being deleted to check. Will update soon
Execution: Open Palm Strike

HUNK: Unlocked by getting S rank on all stages on Abyss, i.e. the hardest difficulty.

Machine Gun Mastery 4: Increases reload speed by 100% and fire rate by 45% for machine guns
Magnum Mastery 1: Increases reload speed by 35% and fire rate by 15% for Magnums
Shadow Dancer 2: Makes the window for dodging much larger.
Melee attack: Horizontal knife swipe
Execution: Summon's some kinda wrist-knife to stab at the enemy with. Think of Assassin's Creed but with a combat knife.

Bonus image: Some funny rear end concept art I found for Clive O'brien

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 17, 2014

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I can't seem to put my arms in the sleeves!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Highwang posted:

Bonus image: Some funny rear end concept art I found for Clive O'brien

Ok that first pose basically confirms what I've been thinking this whole time. There's a whole ton of Columbo in Clive.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the ship has a secret lab, and then the secret lab has a secret lab. They're very thorough.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Chapter 9: No Exit

9-1: The Falcon & The Snowman, (Uncut Commentary)
9-2: Super Hacker, (Uncut Commentary)

30 Pages of Text Dumps! (oh god)

Completion of New-Type Virus

Malacoda Development Materials

Veltro Agent Journal 2

Infection Log for Queen Zenobia, by Ryan Researcher
Slight spoilers, watch the video first before reading.

Bonus image: Can you spot the tag I couldn't resist adding to the videos?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The main difference between Jill and Alice is that Jill has never truly been "god-modded for the sake of the plot" outside of Revelations, whereas Alice is constantly god-modded over the course of the Resident Evil movies because she's the director's girlfriend/fiance/wife. For her previous infections, Jill had to go out of her way and find a cure for the virus that had infected her, which added some tension to the gameplay. Here...we don't get that. Jill just finds a vaccine, injects herself with it, and then swims through the virus tank like it's nothing. I'll be the first to agree that Jill doing all of that within minutes of casually injecting a vaccine (seriously, who just up and injects a vaccine into their body with such a calm demeanor?), and then coming out perfectly fine is just ridiculous. But then again, Jill hasn't been made into a completely superhuman Mary Sue like Alice.

She still can't drop a haymaker on boulders like Chris "Punch Rockgroin" Redfield can, for example. :v:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

AradoBalanga posted:

The main difference between Jill and Alice is that Jill has never truly been "god-modded for the sake of the plot" outside of Revelations, whereas Alice is constantly god-modded over the course of the Resident Evil movies because she's the director's girlfriend/fiance/wife. For her previous infections, Jill had to go out of her way and find a cure for the virus that had infected her, which added some tension to the gameplay. Here...we don't get that. Jill just finds a vaccine, injects herself with it, and then swims through the virus tank like it's nothing. I'll be the first to agree that Jill doing all of that within minutes of casually injecting a vaccine (seriously, who just up and injects a vaccine into their body with such a calm demeanor?), and then coming out perfectly fine is just ridiculous. But then again, Jill hasn't been made into a completely superhuman Mary Sue like Alice.

She still can't drop a haymaker on boulders like Chris "Punch Rockgroin" Redfield can, for example. :v:

Yeah this is true, I just like giving Jill hell because she's pretty low on my list of favorite RE characters.

Doesn't Jill technically have vaccination for the Parasite/Virus combo in RE5 as well alongside T-Virus, Tyrant and T-Abyss?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Highwang posted:

Yeah this is true, I just like giving Jill hell because she's pretty low on my list of favorite RE characters.

Doesn't Jill technically have vaccination for the Parasite/Virus combo in RE5 as well alongside T-Virus, Tyrant and T-Abyss?
No. (RE5 spoilers) It's the combination of all her vaccinations (at the time of RE5, just T-Virus and Tyrant; T-Abyss is a retcon) that render her immune to stuff like Ouroboros. It's why Wesker gives her that silly-looking chestpiece that acts as mind control; Jill cannot be infected with the virus du jour (or any virus, meaning the other viruses from the series wouldn't work as well), so Wesker's plan needed to be revised.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I don't see Jill matrix kung-fu fighting Wesker with an army of herself in slow motion though...yet!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The "genie in the bottle" is presumably the big plot revelations on the computer.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm only on chapter 4 of this LP, and I've never played a RE game besides 5, so maybe it's explained in a different game, but how do the characters come back after each game? I looked up the Keeper's diary on the REwiki and read the comms officer's log in the video and there's no way the characters aren't exposed to the virus. What the hell?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I'm only on chapter 4 of this LP, and I've never played a RE game besides 5, so maybe it's explained in a different game, but how do the characters come back after each game? I looked up the Keeper's diary on the REwiki and read the comms officer's log in the video and there's no way the characters aren't exposed to the virus. What the hell?

You need to have emperor Palpatine or someone like that with a creepy looking injection needle delivering an evil monologue to infect a main character. Airborne and fluids only work on tertiary characters.

Basically RE isn't the kind of video game you would seriously nitpick for plot holes. It's B-movie logic all the way down. They just write campy plots really well in the sense they never show too much self-awareness and slip into self-pardy.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 7, 2014

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
The herbs man, they cure everything. Zombie viruses, claw slashes, rockets to the face, I have no idea why Umbrella spent so much time on viruses when all their facilities have immortality houseplants.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Falcon_and_the_Snowman

Mother of god its real. :stonk:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least the file got out.

Is... is O'Brien ever going to say WHY he did it, or is that just going to be lost amid the Capcom cutscene logic?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yes.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Chapter 10: Tangled Webs

10-1: Deception, (Uncut Commentary)
10-2: Wallrunning, (Uncut Commentary)
Raid Mode, Difficulty Comparisons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Chris. Your non-reaction in these videos is so hilarious considering what gets done to your character in (chronologically) the next two games in the franchise.

• Locked thread