Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think loot spawn rates were increased, I found an m4 in ballots and tons of stuff in elektro.

I also died in the interim losing my firearms which kind of sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Nice piece of fish posted:

Hahahaha yeah, you're figuratively rolling on the floor laughing. You're literally sitting on your rear end silently typing about how a stranger spends his money. If it will give you peace of mind; disregarding sawsuck (and why wouldn't you), I'm probably the person in this thread with the most money to toss away on bullshit. My fiscal situation is fine. Thank you for worrying.

I've had a lot of fun with DayZ. I might have a lot of fun on the SA. It's worth a shot, seeing as the current product tells me nothing about six months down the line. Too bad Rocket didn't wait until he had a more finished product, but as I love ARMA I don't feel bad about throwing Bohemia of all companies some of my cash.

The thing is.. I stopped playing the mod before they announced they were going to do a stand alone version, and I can't really notice anything different now. You can choose clothes and the ui is a little different, but I don't see what took a year of work here.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hahahaha yeah, you're figuratively rolling on the floor laughing. You're literally sitting on your rear end silently typing about how a stranger spends his money. If it will give you peace of mind; disregarding sawsuck (and why wouldn't you), I'm probably the person in this thread with the most money to toss away on bullshit. My fiscal situation is fine. Thank you for worrying.

I've had a lot of fun with DayZ. I might have a lot of fun on the SA. It's worth a shot, seeing as the current product tells me nothing about six months down the line. Too bad Rocket didn't wait until he had a more finished product, but as I love ARMA I don't feel bad about throwing Bohemia of all companies some of my cash.

I will quite happily post a video of me laughing on the floor. At you. Laughing. On floor.

EDIT: Rocket doesn't deserve your money. Stop giving it too him. Stop it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^ Do it. I double loving dare you. Edit: gently caress you, I do what I want.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

The thing is.. I stopped playing the mod before they announced they were going to do a stand alone version, and I can't really notice anything different now. You can choose clothes and the ui is a little different, but I don't see what took a year of work here.

Anti-Hacking, pretty much. Which to be fair, the game BADLY needed some more of. But yeah, it's taken a goddamn while to get here. I'm not thrilled about that, but it's worth giving the SA a chance. Especially since DayZ mod is an ESP nightmare right now.

Lithitt
Dec 28, 2012
I honestly don't really see the system as being that bad. I've been alive for 5 hours without any problems with food and water. I take a swig from my water bottle every 10 minutes while travelling and some sardines while feeling hungry, easy peasy. Press f3 once in a while and have a rest, no big deal. Yes, the messages might be a little retarded but hey, its an alpha. Feels like a lot of people are having a hard time adjusting to the changes that they made, like by magically drinking a can of soda you can go from total dehydration to being all good in a second.

Also, the reason you don't see a lot of zombies is because the zombie respawn script isn't in yet, and they only spawn in on restart.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Lithitt posted:

I honestly don't really see the system as being that bad. I've been alive for 5 hours without any problems with food and water. I take a swig from my water bottle every 10 minutes
I honestly feel this is way too frequent.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
DayZ, DayZ. Give me your answer do
He's not lazy, Rocket is adding poo
It won't be a stable alpha
There's bound to be some drama
But it would be sweet, if I could eat
You are unconscious too

Lithitt
Dec 28, 2012

Ninja fetus posted:

I honestly feel this is way too frequent.

With DayZ being a zombie survival game, it's seems like a good idea to me making survival difficult. If you put effort into it, stay hydrated isn't that hard. If they made it too easy, it's gonna be a zombie deathmatch again.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Lithitt posted:

I honestly don't really see the system as being that bad. I've been alive for 5 hours without any problems with food and water. I take a swig from my water bottle every 10 minutes while travelling and some sardines while feeling hungry, easy peasy. Press f3 once in a while and have a rest, no big deal. Yes, the messages might be a little retarded but hey, its an alpha. Feels like a lot of people are having a hard time adjusting to the changes that they made, like by magically drinking a can of soda you can go from total dehydration to being all good in a second.

Also, the reason you don't see a lot of zombies is because the zombie respawn script isn't in yet, and they only spawn in on restart.

I'm seeing people say your character is a weak rear end at first but as you get him fed and watered and don't run so much at first, he gets stamina built up and you get the messages less and less.

Lithitt
Dec 28, 2012

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I'm seeing people say your character is a weak rear end at first but as you get him fed and watered and don't run so much at first, he gets stamina built up and you get the messages less and less.

Could be true, think I ran around Cherno for 20 minutes looting a few items before i headed north and diddn't have to drink or eat untill then. Probably took a rest two times during that loot, maybe that's the key to keep going without passing out?

HeyChochachos!
Dec 8, 2005
Ray Smuckles: He gets things done.

Baby Cakes posted:

DayZ, DayZ. Give me your answer do
He's not lazy, Rocket is adding poo
It won't be a stable alpha
There's bound to be some drama
But it would be sweet, if I could eat
You are unconscious too

DayZ. Poetry in motion.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Lithitt posted:

With DayZ being a zombie survival game, it's seems like a good idea to me making survival difficult. If you put effort into it, stay hydrated isn't that hard. If they made it too easy, it's gonna be a zombie deathmatch again.

There is a difference between having interesting survival elements and tedium. One should never err on the side of tedium, no matter how many people on the internet think its cool. There's always going to be a group of people that will find the most tedious, unintuitive gameplay features "fun" and those people should always be ignored since they would probably play the game if it were generally simpler.

There is nothing wrong with having hunger and thirst, but the way they are trying to go about it is just reeks of making a complicated system for the sake of being "hardcore" even if it isn't actually representative of anything realistic.

Lithitt
Dec 28, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

There is a difference between having interesting survival elements and tedium. One should never err on the side of tedium, no matter how many people on the internet think its cool. There's always going to be a group of people that will find the most tedious, unintuitive gameplay features "fun" and those people should always be ignored since they would probably play the game if it were generally simpler.

There is nothing wrong with having hunger and thirst, but the way they are trying to go about it is just reeks of making a complicated system for the sake of being "hardcore" even if it isn't actually representative of anything realistic.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the system is anywhere near to complete. It still need's a lot of work at tweaking. I simply thought that people made it sound 100 times worse than it actually is, calling it unplayable.

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Pro tip, if you have the bayonet, it's poo poo. Bats win against bayonets.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Hahahaha yeah, you're figuratively rolling on the floor laughing. You're literally sitting on your rear end silently typing about how a stranger spends his money.

Holy poo poo no way!!!!!

ubermensch
Jul 21, 2000

This avatar and I go back 5 1/2 years. That relationship is approxiamtely 1000x more successful than 99% of the relationships on these forums.
I just spent all day turning myself into a loot pinata. I just had to dump 120 rounds of 7.62 to make room for new 5.56 mags.

The military base on the south west corner of Zelenogorsk is awesome. It has an officers quarters building and two barracks. In addition to more ammo than I could possibly carry and a second canteen I found..... A CAN OPENER!

Someone will love my corpse.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Is it ever day time? Every time I log in its dark as hell. Some buildings/fences/lamps give me graphical errors where they're bright white and flicker a bunch of different colors.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

WMain00 posted:

I will quite happily post a video of me laughing on the floor. At you. Laughing. On floor.
Does this qualify for Toxx Clause?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ScienceAndMusic posted:

which if what they like abotu DayZ is pvp than hoenstly rust provide a much much better enviornment for it, while also letting you establish your own little colonies
For me it's not the pvp that makes dayz, it's the tension. Having stockpiled bases ruins that and it just becomes deathmatch with a long resplendent timer.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Wadjamaloo posted:

For me it's not the pvp that makes dayz, it's the tension. Having stockpiled bases ruins that and it just becomes deathmatch with a long resplendent timer.

Not if the bases can be fully raided and destroyed.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stockpiled bases or not, it invariably turns into PVP every time because everyone gears up to shoot other people, no one gets a kick out of whatever Rocket's idea of an 'anti-game' or 'survival game' is.

There's only so much to do, you can camp for sweet weapons, you can put a car together. After that, its just rinse and repeat pvp where you do nothing but run for 20 minutes just to start shooting people.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The reason people playing a lot today don't think that the system is ridiculous while the people playing yesterday do is that spawn chances have clearly been adjusted, I've found a lot of gear in Elektro and Cherno, places that were absolutely a vacuum yesterday.

By the way, I found a freaking Mosin in a car's backseat so you should deffinitely check those out, there small 'police station' or whatever buildings (the ones with the holding cell at the entrance) also seem pretty great for ammo and pistols.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
God dammit, fainted next to a well. No way I'm surviving without that patch.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Just start over, food is everywhere in residentials and stores now

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Made my way to NWAF, got chased by a guy with an axe, shot him but he got me as well.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
are the vast majority of little towns still useless or can you actually go to places that aren't cherno/electro?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
gently caress Cherno and Elektro, Balota is where it's at. They've added a huge military camp there and 3 barracks.

But in general if you want to gear up quickly the bigger cities are still your best bet. Though the farthest I've reached was Novy and it was at a time where every single place I've checked had 0 loot, so what do I know. At the moment it seems that even small residential buildings have valuable food and drinks in them.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Seems like your babby character grows. I really didn't consume much water and food the last hour or so before I died.

Smooth Willis
Jul 12, 2013
Whats the performance like in towns? Last time I played Dayz it was pretty bad.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

^^^ Do it. I double loving dare you. Edit: gently caress you, I do what I want.

Anti-Hacking, pretty much. Which to be fair, the game BADLY needed some more of. But yeah, it's taken a goddamn while to get here. I'm not thrilled about that, but it's worth giving the SA a chance. Especially since DayZ mod is an ESP nightmare right now.

Anti-hacking is pretty much the biggest feature for me so yeah. When I last played the mod, you had a 50/50 chance of being teleported into the air along with everyone else on the server and dying every hour. Other than that I thought it was fine all around aside from the UI sucking.

Sleazoid
Nov 13, 2007

Just when I was enjoying myself somebody comes along and kills me with a crowbar and then jacks my copy of Pride & Prejudice. Motherfucker.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Seeing some servers with ~120 slots now. Lots of people there which makes it a bit more fun.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So apparently even with a pristine ballistic helmet you get knocked out with one melee hit. What the heck.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So apparently even with a pristine ballistic helmet you get knocked out with one melee hit. What the heck.

The motorbike helmets are where it's at. I'm terrible at games and I've had three people sneak up on me with baseball bats without being killed yet. I've also found a pistol, an M4, a silencer for the M4, a bunch of ammo, clothing, and cans, but no mags to load the weapons with and no can opener, so I'm stuck using a kitchen knife and slowly starving. Oh, and I've found no drinks at all.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Is there a secret to get a day time server? I checked at 2pm EST on a NJ server and it was night. Still night now too, even if I join a server on the other side of the world.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How many goons are playing together on servers. I get the impression that only ten goons or so seem to be joining forces.

MakeTeaNotWar
Jul 7, 2010
Why oh why didn't they take standalone as an opportunity to rename all those stupid russian towns/villages.

Sounds like its way to early to be playing this game, apparently you're as likely to run into another player as you are a zombie, which is backwards to gently caress. Can anyone verify this?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I won't get to play much tonight because I have company coming over, but I'll be playing a lot. I have 4-6 friends that all used to game together in high school, two of them are goons so I'm going to try to get them to game with goons (they never do, don't know why).

I'm not too worried about things being super busted right now, I didn't play a lot of the mod so I'm going in pretty fresh, also I know it is alpha.

edit; I played for 2 minutes last night, right before I was supposed to be going somewhere. I saw three people flicking flashlights on and off, so I tried to sneak up on one of them, but a zombie babe snuck up on me and I shrieked and ran into the first building, which I was able to close the door and hide in an apartment, so I figured that'd be a decent sleeping spot.

So I saw as many people as I did Zombies the first two minutes in.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 18, 2013

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Baby Cakes posted:

Probably has something to do with BI saying "release the loving game already".
Ironic, as I honestly believe that he got way more leeway on this from than the Arma 3 devs did; my understanding is that unofficially the replacement/current Arma 3 project lead (formerly lead on Take On Helicopters; the prior lead left BI late last year) was picked specifically to "release the loving game already".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

cormac posted:

The motorbike helmets are where it's at. I'm terrible at games and I've had three people sneak up on me with baseball bats without being killed yet. I've also found a pistol, an M4, a silencer for the M4, a bunch of ammo, clothing, and cans, but no mags to load the weapons with and no can opener, so I'm stuck using a kitchen knife and slowly starving. Oh, and I've found no drinks at all.

I just hit someone 5 times with an axe and eventually I passed out while he ran merrily bleeding from all over the place. we both wore helmets.

I really don't get it.

Also I despise the animation they added for 'start running' where you character freezes like a deer and starts running only half a second later.