Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
The mash up pack mash up... pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

juliuspringle posted:

It would be awesome if you could mix and match textures from different packs so that way you didn't have that everything is awesome except this one texture thing.

Yup, unfortunately, with every texture pack there's always one that makes you go 'eh this is just really bad'

Like I like Natural for EVERYTHING except regular stone, which now looks like cobblestone. it sucks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ineffiable posted:

Yup, unfortunately, with every texture pack there's always one that makes you go 'eh this is just really bad'

Like I like Natural for EVERYTHING except regular stone, which now looks like cobblestone. it sucks.

City is the only texture pack I like all the textures for. Except End Stone I guess, but that kinda looks bad in all the packs, so oh well.

It is a huge shame about the stone in natural though, I adore everything about that pack except regular stone. Especially stone brick, the material I build with the most.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, for some reason stone brick and cobblestone look identical in Natural.

I've never actually gotten the Ender Dragon before, but now I have most-all of the materials to start working towards that.

If only there was some sort of ore-radar in the game…

I guess if I want to enchant a pick with the right stuff the best way to do it would be to build up my XP levels and enchant a bunch of books first?

side note: "Ender Dragon" totally sounds like a Yu-Gi-Oh card.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Speedball posted:

If only there was some sort of ore-radar in the game…

Build an xray machine. Use redstone and a sticky piston to rig up a device that forces a TnT block into your head. If you're surrounded by blocks on all orher sides, you'll be able to see through the ground.

This won't find you ores directly, but you'll find caverns, mineshafts, etc. The ores you need will be easier to find in the walls of those caverns.

If you've already explored the nearby caves extensively or are prepared to sperg hard, also try strip mining.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Build an xray machine. Use redstone and a sticky piston to rig up a device that forces a TnT block into your head. If you're surrounded by blocks on all orher sides, you'll be able to see through the ground.

This won't find you ores directly, but you'll find caverns, mineshafts, etc. The ores you need will be easier to find in the walls of those caverns.

If you've already explored the nearby caves extensively or are prepared to sperg hard, also try strip mining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMik9U17tzE

Like that? That works in the Console version too? Hmm…bit of an exploit…but…hell.

I guess now I need to get some slime to make the sticky pistons…and kill a bunch of creepers for the TNT...

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
The best way to enchant your pick is to just save it before the enchanting and reset if it doesn't work.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
It's much easier to get a decent pick by grinding up to 30 and enchanting the pick. Doing books is nice but your chances of getting the enchantment you want is slim to none. It's disappointing but the old way is still the best. Also with books level 16 seems to be the best way to get higher level enchantments, like Silk Touch. Waiting until 30 for books will get you higher levels on enchantments like Fortune or Efficiency but these can be attained by combining lower level enchantments just about as easily.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Don't know if this has been mentioned before here specifically, but the Minecraft addons for PS3 are confirmed to be crossbuy for the Vita edition too (meaning any skins/textures you buy are one purchase for Vita and PS3. Same for the game itself)

PS4 is said to may have some licensing issues, but I imagine that's more related to the skins, and all textures likely will be crossbuy for PS3/Vita/PS4.

Also, gonna try that xray machine too.

And today is Notch's birthday. Try to make a cake!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Woo, On A Rail completed! Anyone need it for PS3? I'm just going to tear up the track and redirect it towards the EnderPortal from my home otherwise.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

I'm on vacation this week. Mines will be goddamn crafted.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dear God, how does anyone even DO ANYTHING in the candy texture pack? If you don't know what the hell is grass and what is stone, when stone looks like cake, how do you manage?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Speedball posted:

Dear God, how does anyone even DO ANYTHING in the candy texture pack? If you don't know what the hell is grass and what is stone, when stone looks like cake, how do you manage?

Yeah good question. Candy is the only texture pack I disliked enough to not even buy.

Also sorry to the 360 goons who play on my server, I've been working hard on my backlog and my 360 has been off when I'm not playing because 95 degrees and no AC is rough enough without the 360 on (how the hell does that thing produce so much heat goddamn). I'm going to route the central air to my room at some point when it cools off enough to climb in the attic and not die, at which point I'll have my world up more often.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ah. So we couldn't find the server of Cannot Find Server.

My own 360 makes awful noises lately, that's why I had to switch to the PS3 for Minecraft. Yes. I double-dipped.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Does 360 have redstone blocks and daylight sensors yet? If not any word on when we might get them?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
no and no

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yyyeah, console version is always like at least six months behind the mainline Minecraft. Cost of doing business, I guess.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Does 360 have redstone blocks and daylight sensors yet? If not any word on when we might get them?

I thought villagers were the daylight sensors

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Temper Trudeau posted:

I thought villagers were the daylight sensors

I don't think you can hook them up to redstone lamps to make lights that automagically come on when it gets dark out.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

I don't think you can hook them up to redstone lamps to make lights that automagically come on when it gets dark out.

But they do go inside when it gets dark. Pressure plates and lamps, and reducing the inside of the houses to 1 block

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

I've managed to cure a couple of zombie villagers and after great hardship pushed them all the way to the village in the sky. They of course started breeding and within an hour I had 10.

I guess they weren't happy living in the clouds and convinced all the others to join a suicide pact. When I woke up today the sky town was empty. It didn't take long to find them... All swimming in the sea, under the platform they all jumped from.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You can make village biomes? I did not know that.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

You can make village biomes? I did not know that.

I have a few mob spawners near my tower (which looks like Optimus Primes helmet) and cured some zombie villagers when they popped up. They won't despawn after they revert, as long as there is at least one house with a door close. Then you can breed the villagers and the population explodes. I think xbox can only handle 50 in total.

I've made an elevator and a couple went back up into the sky but I think they just wanted to go for a dive again. I have to proof the sky town so they can't escape.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So primarily villagers ask for replenishable resources to get the ball rolling in their economy, right?

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

More or less. Trading with a villager levels them up, opening up less common items, and prompts them to breed but they will do that anyway if there are sufficient doors. It's the only way to obtain bottles o' enchanting and chain armor in survival, and sometimes emeralds come cheap. Every time you level up a villager you can access the previous items it had.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Backlog mostly caught up, so my server will be up somewhat regularly again. I've started getting serious about the Nether subway system and it will probably be finished in a week or so.

After that's done, I'll help work on the dumbest project ever regarding the End :unsmigghh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How dumb? Elaborate. Trying to build a house there?

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Its less about building and more about destroying. We're clearing out all the endstone from the end. Unfortunately, I won't be on for awhile to help cause I won't have Live for a couple more weeks. But I look forward to resuming my favorite meditative activity of clearing while listening to podcasts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Speedball posted:

How dumb? Elaborate. Trying to build a house there?

A house in the End would be nothing considering I already have a gargantuan Enderman farm that took several days and lots of dying to build. But yeah, as Chuck said, we're clearing the entire thing out. I mentioned doing it jokingly as I was having problems lighting everything up so that Endermen would stop spawning to maximize the Enderman farm efficiency, then Chuck said we could make space stations and poo poo if we cleared it all out, which sounded so badass an idea that the joke became a reality. We're already at I think 50+ double chests full of endstone and I estimate that we're only a quarter done clearing it all out.

Next on the agenda after that is giving the Nether the same treatment.

e: also the server will be populated by pubbies. I'm gonna make a thread on the Minecraft 360 forums advertising it once I finally have AC and can just leave it on all the time, but for now I already have several throught ramenpower, and a few who are not even his friends but are friends of other pubbies. I have copied the game save to a USB stick just in case a griefer does something terrible.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 2, 2014

Tirux
Apr 28, 2010

The wolf is at your door.
So my brother is asking me to buy the PS3 version because he wants me to play with him and his son online. Is it possible that we can play online together, even though they will play in splitscreen mode?

I have read it is possible with the Xbox360 but I haven't found anything about PS3.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Today I was taken to the top of the nether. It didn`t go very well for either of us. For the the top layer would load, resulting in fall damage from nothing.

I had to lay down bricks to load block by block what was already there. Stone bricks turned to bedrock, and didn`t leave my inventory. poo poo was whack.

Luckily I made it through so I could truly experience horror

(sorry about the phone pics. i dont know my facebook password)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Temper Trudeau posted:

Luckily I made it through so I could truly experience horror

Let's piss off the zombie pigmen while ghasts shoot at us from three sides. Don't worry I can handle it, I've got a really good sword :shepface:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mushrooms grow at the top level because it doesn't count as there being any ambient light?

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

Mushrooms grow at the top level because it doesn't count as there being any ambient light?

Probably. The only chunks that properly spawned for me were I ones that had mushrooms on them.

I won't be going back anytime soon.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Since I've been mostly playing alone lately, I decided to load up my world with each texture pack and look at everything people have built with each pack. And man, I was kinda surprised at how bad regular-rear end Minecraft looks to me now. I like every pack (except Candy, ugh) better than vanilla, even the plastic pack. Especially some of the stuff we've built within the City pack that I usually have on; my base looks like complete garbage in vanilla, for example, while I think it looks excellent in Natural and City. Chuck's pagoda I think looks best in Plastic, of all things. And of course, the Nether looks totally goddamn baller with the Halloween pack.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

I know I was hating on the fantasy pack before but I've had it up for a few days and I've grown to like it a lot. Swords look better and I'm no longer a welder or doctor when I'm armoured up. I blame the youtube tutorials and LP'S I've been watching.

My world is still up for anyone wanting to play. A dude from the minecraft forums built a little thing at spawn to help you out on your first night, and "the abbey" is built on a surface skeleton spawner to help you level up. All biomes i believe are available, though all the temples have been ransacked and the only mineshaft i know of is under an underwater spider spawner in the area of the map no one would probably ever go to.

Gt is ramenpower

And I hope that when an update hits I get some of the biomes I've seen in PE. Boulders of moss own.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cannot Find Server posted:

Since I've been mostly playing alone lately, I decided to load up my world with each texture pack and look at everything people have built with each pack. And man, I was kinda surprised at how bad regular-rear end Minecraft looks to me now. I like every pack (except Candy, ugh) better than vanilla, even the plastic pack. Especially some of the stuff we've built within the City pack that I usually have on; my base looks like complete garbage in vanilla, for example, while I think it looks excellent in Natural and City. Chuck's pagoda I think looks best in Plastic, of all things. And of course, the Nether looks totally goddamn baller with the Halloween pack.

Playstation version doesn't have Halloween Pack yet but yeah, I have to agree, Vanilla Minecraft just looks awful to me now.

My big issue with Plastic is it makes the interface incomprehensible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Temper Trudeau posted:

I know I was hating on the fantasy pack before but I've had it up for a few days and I've grown to like it a lot. Swords look better and I'm no longer a welder or doctor when I'm armoured up. I blame the youtube tutorials and LP'S I've been watching.

The Fantasy pack has probably my least favorite stone brick and sandstone textures, unfortunately. Also I still think the door and chest designs are a little too busy for my liking.

Speedball posted:

Playstation version doesn't have Halloween Pack yet but yeah, I have to agree, Vanilla Minecraft just looks awful to me now.

My big issue with Plastic is it makes the interface incomprehensible.

The Halloween pack is surprisingly awesome, I can't wait till October so I can have it on in my world all month! And yeah Plastic has its issues, especially with the items, but I still like it all things considered.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Umm. Anyone else notice the leader boards? Is there a weird update schedule to them cause if so then I dropped several thousand places in the last week for kills on Normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In addition to looking cool, Urban Textures map makes collecting ores in caves a snap because ore blocks really stand out a lot.

• Locked thread