Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxY_MQOGFBM

Haha yeah no Scamco you aren't getting my money. 2 Recolours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if you dont buy it, we wont get build strike and zaku amazing. says my uncle who works at nintendo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
So I've been really interested in this but not enough to pay full import price for it. A friend of mine offered to game share it to me because I'm more than willing to buy the online pass. I downloaded the game, it works fine, I log into my JP PSN account and go to the store and the Online Pass section is empty with nothing to buy in it. What the gently caress?

e: Fixed it, you can't do it through the store, you have to attempt to play online in the game itself in order to buy the online pass.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 1, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

So I've been really interested in this but not enough to pay full import price for it. A friend of mine offered to game share it to me because I'm more than willing to buy the online pass. I downloaded the game, it works fine, I log into my JP PSN account and go to the store and the Online Pass section is empty with nothing to buy in it. What the gently caress?

If you buy digital the online pass is included in there. No separate download.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, the online pass in the physical version only works when you're signed into a PSN account from the same region as the game, so if you want to play online (and/or get the platinum trophy for this one) you'll be on a Japan or Asia PSN account. I'm ServiceProviderJ on Japan.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 2, 2014

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Did master Gundam lose his darkness finger?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

If you buy digital the online pass is included in there. No separate download.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, the online pass in the physical version only works when you're signed into a PSN account from the same region as the game, so if you want to play online (and/or get the platinum trophy for this one) you'll be on a Japan or Asia PSN account. I'm ServiceProviderJ on Japan.

i guess i might as well make my own JP account and buy the DLCs myself then. I used to have one, but they caught onto it. What is the correct way to make one now?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

i guess i might as well make my own JP account and buy the DLCs myself then. I used to have one, but they caught onto it. What is the correct way to make one now?

http://kotaku.com/5982662/how-to-make-a-japanese-psn-account-on-the-new-psn-and-how-to-navigate-the-store

Kotaku article with screen shots.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Did master Gundam lose his darkness finger?

It probably just has a different input now, they changed some of them around. I've seen it use it in videos.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

After having done some multiplayer for the first time, I feel an empathy, nay, a kinship for Leo pilots and Char's wingmen. I've watched the tutorial videos and spent a bunch of time reading up on terminology and such, but after spending some time in the US team shuffle rooms I'm sitting on probably a 20% win rate.

1. How on earth do you zunda reliably on a PS3 pad? Every time I feel like I've got the timing down, I'll accidentally fire off my AB instead of boosting which usually results in my face getting caved in. How do you zunda with suits that have machinegun weapons?
2. Is there a good way to practice landing punishes and/or avoiding landing punishes? I've tried extreme AIs but they're dead easy to hit compared to half-competent players so I'm reduced to dragging my poor teammates through the mud while I try to learn in live fire situations.
3. Should I be playing cheapo suits so that when I get wrecked it doesn't torpedo the team, or should I be playing costly suits so that their armor and performance can help compensate for my deficiencies? Should I be knuckling down and playing one suit constantly or swapping between suits to familiarize myself with their capabilities and force myself to get used to different playstyles?

I've been playing Banshee(I'm awful), Blue Destiny(my second most successful), Kshatriya(I'm even worse than Banshee), and Throne Drei(I'm not as good as my BD but not as bad as my Banshee), but bizarrely enough my most successful unit is the GunEZ. It's cheap as hell and the shield assist is great for keeping my competent teammate alive to actually accomplish something. The shitload of attack assists it spams are really annoying/unpredictable and help me land hits even with my poor zunda and punishing skills. I rarely kill anyone, but I generally do a fair amount of damage and pray I set my teammate up for the victory.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 3, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

I dunno what issue you're having with BR zunda on pad, especially getting AB? you mean you're accidentally pressing triangle at the same time as square, or R1, idgi. BR Zunda is just hold a direction and press X X, Square, X X, square, X X, square. You don't zunda machine gun weapons, but you should use swiveling (hold X and press d-pad towards your opponent to face them) to make sure you stay on-angle so you can fire as many bullets as possible.

Landing punishes you just learn by playing. Keep playing and you'll learn to spot people's habits, tricks and just get a new-typey flash of "now!!" and hit the shot. It sucks to feel like you're dragging your team down but don't worry about it too much. This isn't a huge game like CoD, most people are willing to tolerate new players in exchange for having, well, some new players to grow the scene and make it bigger.

We don't generally reccomend 1k suits for beginners because beginners struggle to deal with their extremely low performance. It's easy to think "oh, this unit is cheap so I don't hurt the team so much when I die" but the reverse side of that coin is "oh, this unit is cheap so I don't help my team mate that much when I'm alive". 1k suits are generally for experienced players who have the skill to compensate for their severe shortcomings and take advantage of their unique tools.

I mean like, I loving love GunEZ as well, so I know where you're coming from, but while I know you really want to feel like you're helping your team mate with the gunEZ shields and stuff and not losing as much as you do with other units, but you're also not learning as much either. Surely you don't wanna just play gunEZ forever, right? If I was you I'd just play something that absolutely required solid basic fundamentals (blue frame is a good choice) and keep playing it and FORCE myself to git gud at basic BR play and positioning. Once you have that, you can take that skill and apply it with 90% of the other chars in this game who have a bunch of other fun tools to go with it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I actually meant AC. AC is Square + X, so if you mash like an idiot when doing zundas you'll hit AC and if you're using something with a slow AC like ZZ you'll eat poo poo. :smith:

I do appreciate your post, though, you basically confirmed what I was thinking. Looks like I'll have to focus on Delta Plus or something for a while until I actually get good.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 3, 2014

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

You're trying to press them far too fast then. There's plenty of leniency, just get into the rhythm for it. XX, square. XX, square. Start slow and try to get faster and you'll soon realise once you reach a certain speed pressing it any faster does nothing since it just buffers it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mine has arrived!
What are some good starter suits to learn?
Are Sazabi or Dynames considered easy?

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Fauxtool posted:

Mine has arrived!

Really, Freedom is a nice all-rounder to start with, and then you can branch off onto other suits from there when you start realizing what you favor.

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Mine has arrived!

The RX-78 and Freedom are good starting points for learning the flow of the game. Both have decent melee and ranged games and introduce stuff like assist attacks, gerobi/persistent beams, etc.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The Fuwacast guys said Gundam MK.2 is a good beginner suit too, its basically "rx-78 but better". Don't have the game yet so can't really say anything from personal experience.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Demicol posted:

The Fuwacast guys said Gundam MK.2 is a good beginner suit too, its basically "rx-78 but better". Don't have the game yet so can't really say anything from personal experience.

Doesn't seem like a bad way of looking at the Mk. 2 really, though I feel it has some more gimmicky stuff with the Super Gundam special. The RX-78 is great mainly for learning dash cancelling and it's relatively low number of tools forces you to focus on that. Also I am a huge nerd and like the RX-78 more than the Mk. 2.

This game is pretty great, though I'm forcing myself to switch to arcade stick and the transition is difficult after playing GvG, NEXT and EXVS with standard controls. Gundam X is a treat.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do all the suits have the same amount of boost? Im obviously new but it seems like the person who boosts first loses. Are the suits balanced at a high level or is it the 2v2 dynamic that does the balancing?

Im currently liking the freedom, but im not sure what the game plan is. What are the really good moves it has and when to use them?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 5, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Fauxtool posted:

Do all the suits have the same amount of boost? Im obviously new but it seems like the person who boosts first loses. Are the suits balanced at a high level or is it the 2v2 dynamic that does the balancing?

Im currently liking the freedom, but im not sure what the game plan is. What are the really good moves it has and when to use them?

2v2 does the balancing for the most part, and landing punishment is the name of the game.

Give Brett's guide a quick read for a run down. There's also a few quick Freedom tips as well.

Shingin
Apr 14, 2005

Not the Red Comet
Delta Plus is also a good starter to learn with it'll get you into the habit of trying to always go for the on angle fire.

Feel free to add me on psn.

PSN: shinginh

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shingin posted:

Delta Plus is also a good starter to learn with it'll get you into the habit of trying to always go for the on angle fire.

Feel free to add me on psn.

PSN: shinginh

i havent made my jp psn account yet, but i will add when i do. Im just trying to get a baseline understanding of the game so i can enjoy watching it at SCR

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
So I watched all the tutorial videos, and I decided to do a 2v2 with computers.

Holy gently caress, what is this game? I can't keep up with even the default AI. How could I ever hope to beat an actual player? I usually just start to panic and I devolve into mad button mashing. To be honest, this feels like a fighting game on fast-forward. I hope i didn't spend all this money on something I won't ever be able to do anything in :(

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hivac posted:

So I watched all the tutorial videos, and I decided to do a 2v2 with computers.

Holy gently caress, what is this game? I can't keep up with even the default AI. How could I ever hope to beat an actual player? I usually just start to panic and I devolve into mad button mashing. To be honest, this feels like a fighting game on fast-forward. I hope i didn't spend all this money on something I won't ever be able to do anything in :(

i made the mistake of not picking a 3000 point suit in my first practice game. Dont forget to use your special abilities. They recharge pretty fast and some of them are done with specific inputs like back+melee.

When using Sazabi, when is the right time to use funnels? They come out pretty slow and I can only ever launch them all after a knockdown. If funnels hit I follow up with a tomahawk for stun then a melee combo.

Should I just be using one funnel at a time? I still have the issue of needed to be still for longer than comfortable to launch one

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 5, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I dunno. I guess this game's just not for someone like me. I have no idea how people dodge anything enemies throw at you without some kind of psycho precognition (I guess they're newtypes? :v:), and I can never hit any enemies at all. I just feel like everything moves ten times faster than my mind can keep up with.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

It helps to have someone show you how to play the game or watch the instructional videos. This isn't a common sense arcade fighting game. It isn't difficult to grasp once it clicks though.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

JackDarko posted:

It helps to have someone show you how to play the game or watch the instructional videos. This isn't a common sense arcade fighting game. It isn't difficult to grasp once it clicks though.

I did watch the videos. I guess I just have to ram my head against CPUs until I get the mechanics.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get that brett's guide is the best thing out there, but wow is it a lovely guide for beginners. It constantly uses and never defines terms like CSa. It even interchanges terms like BR and A in the same paragraph.

It needs a concise notation sheet and it needs to follow it.

Is there a practice mode or is "free play" and setting them to the easiest difficulty the closest thing?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 5, 2014

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You can set them to "stop" and then set then enemy team to have infinite health. That's the closes thing to a practice mode.

Hivac posted:

I dunno. I guess this game's just not for someone like me. I have no idea how people dodge anything enemies throw at you without some kind of psycho precognition (I guess they're newtypes? :v:), and I can never hit any enemies at all. I just feel like everything moves ten times faster than my mind can keep up with.

Try boosting a lot, always move around and keep checking where both enemies are. Don't even bother walking around normally. Don't try to go into melee unless you need to or the suit is melee-focused.

Downloading the game now, feel free to add me, my PSN is: DemicolJPN (very original, I know.)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you know if a suit is melee? Does it just do more damage up close?

I have been wrecking online with lacus justice just virtue of by not dieing. Boomerang and Fatum both appear to work well as medium range get off me moves. Its melee seems to be pretty great too, so im not sure how to play it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

There's a few obvious ones, like Epyon & Exia that lack variety or ranged tools, then there's G-Gundam stuff. Other than that just go by feel/word online I guess.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Fauxtool posted:

How do you know if a suit is melee? Does it just do more damage up close?

A combination of high melee damage and movement with decent HP. Try looking at what a suit doesn't have rather than what it does, as that also helps you start to build a basic understanding of how to counter them. For instance, F91 has a cool-looking windmill attack that makes you want to shred the whole drat world with it, but it's tied with Hyaku Shiki for having the lowest HP of its cost. As such, you should try to avoid melee situations with it unless you're bailing out your partner, and if you're facing one down you can be sure to put the hurt on by applying pressure.

Edit: Of course I say all of this while sulking without my copy (which is effectively in escrow with Play-Asia until they sell another 500 HKD PSN card and give me my refund :smith:) so YMMV.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 5, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

So at what point would it be advisable to make a massive fool of myself online?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Hivac posted:

So at what point would it be advisable to make a massive fool of myself online?

Playing against human players is always a good idea in competitive games, as long as you go in with an open mind and try to observant of what your opponents are doing so you can try to understand why people make certain choices. I'm new to this game too, but I've found that playing ranked while partnered with a friend and constantly talking on Skype about what is happening has helped me learn the game. If you don't have a partner you can talk to you might have a harder time understanding why you are winning or losing.

If you are struggling to learn the mechanics of the game, there is online coop for arcade and mission modes. The AI is much more predictable with when they are going to land, so getting used to how humans move and try to throw off landing timings is quite different.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I got my hopes up when I noticed I had a good connection as indicated on the top right, but every room is just one single red bar. I'll add some people from here and hopefully I'll have a better connection to them. Any Europeans feel free to add me, PSN is listed a few post back.

Arcade mode way better then in vanilla, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I've found that playing in any Japanese lobbies is pretty much a total lost cause from a latency perspective, but there's usually at least one US/EU lobby up.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Guess I just imagined there being more then 12 non-japanese people online, seeing as there's quite a lot of people here & Dustloop talking about it. I eventually did stumble upon on a EU/US room and played for a while, even when some people had red connection I didn't notice any lag.

The support ammo counters on Throne Drei keep messing me up, the top one is for R2 and bottom for L2, I keep thinking they should be the other way around.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Demicol posted:

Guess I just imagined there being more then 12 non-japanese people online, seeing as there's quite a lot of people here & Dustloop talking about it. I eventually did stumble upon on a EU/US room and played for a while, even when some people had red connection I didn't notice any lag.

The support ammo counters on Throne Drei keep messing me up, the top one is for R2 and bottom for L2, I keep thinking they should be the other way around.

There's usually lobbies up for both Team Shuffle and Team Free, coupled with people who prefer ranked play or even people just doing coop stuff. There's probably a fair few english speakers playing but they're dispersed between game modes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Here's me playing with a friend. I'm not very good, game sure is fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzgS-Egm94

EDIT: My Japanese PSN is LockonSelfie if you guys ever want to play, message me on my US ID though it's NotAntagonist.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

My JP PSN is evacdoom if anyone wants to play with some horrible flailing idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy
My Japanese PSN is MaikeruMS-06J. I kinda understand how to move around the map now, but I make stupid mistakes against actual people so I should not be difficult to beat. I've played against a couple of people from dustloop, all of whom beat me down pretty badly, but that was day 3 or so.

Usually I can play on weekends and weekday evenings 'til 11PM Eastern.

• Locked thread