Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Is this the Amiga version? In the PC version, Roscoe had this pimpin' hat in his picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Has Ian even been hit? Hiding in the back like a bitch is the best decision ever, and they say he has an 8 IQ!

RIP everyone in front of my dude.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I had such high hopes for Sir Roland.

Now the cycle of endless mage-protecting corpses begins in earnest!

We have trapzap and magic-light-thing at least. Time for a Magician! (And a new Paladin, and a new Fighter/Hunter.)

We will need that compass spell. It is known.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
In recognizance of the fallen, I present to you another character, just in case.

Name: Ragnar Lodbrok
Race: Dwarf
Class: Warrior

Personality: Some might say that a name that translates as "Ragnar of the hairy-pants" is not the most intimidating of epithets. These people have never met Ragnar. A terrifying warrior whose love of battle is only equaled by two things: his deep appreciation for alcohol of all kinds, from the lightest beer to the foulest spirits and his intense, burning love of democracy! For you see, he has a dream, that one day men of all races (yes, even elves) may one day rule themselves through just governance dependent on the consent of the masses. Truly, the noblest of all foul-tempered half-sized vikings to ever live.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 3, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That's the Bard's Tale we all know and love!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Three dead characters! Ah ah ah

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
Well, at least Graham didn't go alone to that great Axe-Throwing Competition in the sky.

In light of the lack of a party tank, I'd like to vote for Ragnar.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Brewsuke posted:

Well, at least Graham didn't go alone to that great Axe-Throwing Competition in the sky.

In light of the lack of a party tank, I'd like to vote for Ragnar.
We cant have anyone named RAGNAR until we can afford to resurrect them and keep them! No wasting of the mighty name!

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
It's always a good day to die in the mean streets of Skara Brae.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
If nobody minds, I'm going to toss another caster in here. I've never really gotten a chance to at one of these party composition participation threads before, so I wanted to at least submit a guy.

Name: Wizardy McGee
Race: Gnome
Class: Magician
Background: Among the McGee clan of gnomes from the Gnomish enclave of McGeevale, it is common practice for gnomes to be named after their job. The town barber is Salon McGee, the town butcher is Meatchop McGee. An actual individual given name, such as Bob, Jennifer, or Danny Boy is only gifted to McGee gnomes who've earned the right by unique act or famous deed. Young Wizardy, who inherited his name from the town magician he was apprenticed to is determined not to march into anonymity as just another McGee, and helping stop an evil warlock seems like just the unique accomplishment for him!
Personality He is outspoken, friendly, and a bit easily miffed whenever overlooked. With the showmanship of a stage magician, the sparkle of real magic, and a cool felt hat which may or may not be where he keeps his stuffed toy bunny; Wizardy McGee sets forth for justice... and hopefully greater renown!
Likes: Fame, adulation, an audience, a good show especially with puppets or card tricks, bunnies
Dislikes: Being ignored, hecklers, people who don't get his jokes, weasels and other things that eat bunnies.

Edit: Error in the bolding there.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 5, 2014

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Now cracks a several good hearts. Good-night, sweet princes;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Welp. That's how I was expecting the first battle to go. Farewell, Roland, you were too awful for this world. Hopefully he finds some bureaucratic job in the sky.

Alright, enough mourning, send in the next three punching bags! The remaining heroes aren't going to get to level 2 on their own!

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Hardwood Boxes gonna die by throwing himself into the maw of a mad dog.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!
Phew! I was worried there for a minute. I'd have been bummed to see Tiswald eaten by dogs on the street on his first time out.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ouch. Well, that's bad, we lost half of the party to dogs.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Seyser Koze posted:

Is this the Amiga version? In the PC version, Roscoe had this pimpin' hat in his picture.

This is the Atari ST version, which as far as I'm aware is pretty much exactly the same as the Apple IIGS and the Amiga versions, although there are probably minor variations (especially when it comes to what cheats work on what versions).

I played ahead a little last night. It's really bad. I'm really sorry. There's so much blood. I can't let myself get attached anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is this actually a game you can finish, or do you eventually just get tired of generating new characters and quit?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Make some tough meatshields then have them baby sit magic users?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ultrafilter posted:

Is this actually a game you can finish, or do you eventually just get tired of generating new characters and quit?

As someone who finished it, I swear on my grandmother's grave this is a game you can finish. Hell, play your cards right, and you can bend this god-drat game over your knee.

Angrymog posted:

Make some tough meatshields then have them baby sit magic users?

This is like Level 1 in AD&D with a sadistic GM, Angrymog. Doesn't matter how beefy the dudes are (and sadly, there is a limit), it doesn't matter if they can't either successfully hit the thing or run away. Mad Dogs have, for L1 newbies, stupid AC and escape block. And other monsters have more hitpoints than we can possibly take away before they murder us.

Bard's Tale is a cock of a game, because it goes with oldschool design, namely "I will kill them for doing the wrong thing." Even if that "wrong thing" is straying too far from the Adventurer's Guild in a day.

EDIT: Nowhere near as bad as Wizardry 4, but still... they were hard.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 3, 2014

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
NAME: YEEZUS BEEZUS
RACE: HUMAN
CLASS: HUNTER
PERSONALITY: Yeezus was raised by bees, and as such, only speaks very stunted Common. However, he is very skilled at his particular craft (his particular craft being murder), and whenever he can make a bee pun, he will. Whenever he sees a woman, he often has strange pickup lines, like, "Hey, baby. I'd attach a sword to my internal organs and pull them all out just to stab some guy who was trying to attack you." Needless to say, he does not attract very many mates like this.

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

Knockknees posted:

There's so much blood. I can't let myself get attached anymore.

Well, gently caress.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Knockknees posted:

I played ahead a little last night. It's really bad. I'm really sorry. There's so much blood. I can't let myself get attached anymore.

Aw. For a little bit, I had some small hope that just one original party member might make it through to the end. I'm guessing that's out the window now.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

JamieTheD posted:

This is like Level 1 in AD&D with a sadistic GM, Angrymog. Doesn't matter how beefy the dudes are (and sadly, there is a limit), it doesn't matter if they can't either successfully hit the thing or run away. Mad Dogs have, for L1 newbies, stupid AC and escape block. And other monsters have more hitpoints than we can possibly take away before they murder us.

I played and nearly finished it - somewhere I have my little notebooks of meticulously drawn maps :) . I got to the tower where you get the last of the silver shapes and didn't have the inventory space for it.

Though I did use the PC easy mode cheat (i.e. instant stone golem) and the thing where you roll up new adventures, rob them, and dump them to have enough gold to pay for healing and the like.

I was always annoyed, even back when I first played it, at the shere amount of reused graphics. I know it fit on 1 floppy disk, but it still felt very cheap.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Aw. For a little bit, I had some small hope that just one original party member might make it through to the end. I'm guessing that's out the window now.

Not to spoil too much, but I've got the next two updates all played through and we've still got a non zero number of the original six. My previous post was lamenting some very frustrating deaths though. I'm going to be so relieved when I finally get a party that can at least walk around in the daytime without worrying about a full party wipe. It, while an amusing screenshot, is something I'm hoping not to have to show.

Next update will go up Wednesday.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Here's hoping the very lucky and handsome and clever Ian survived the madness of mass dog mauling. :allears:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Well shoot. I was going to hold off on suggesting a new character, but if we're really burning through them that fast I might make another after Wednesday comes.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Are there any versions of this that play smoothly? The Amiga emulator has just enough "loading lag" that its a turn-off.

I cant believe I played this on a c64 with 10+ sec load times for some individual fights...

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
The DOS version should be fine. Ugly, though. Very green.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Name: Neo
Race: Human
Class: MagicianReality Hacker
"Look, chummer, it's not 'Magic'; it's jacking into a data packet and modifying a couple lines of code. It's editing the files of a couple air molecules to speed them up to the point where they spontaneously combust, or cracking your data-stream to bump your AC down a few digits, or add a couple of Hit Points back. Can't do too much at once though, not yet. I could probably write a program that would keep resetting your health back to full, no matter how many times you got hit, but that's real high-level code, and you gotta be real careful with poo poo like that because the System is more than happy to declare your character file corrupt and delete your happy rear end.

I got plans though. Big plans. I'm gonna see if I can't partition a section of the drive this world runs on, and stick a back-up of myself on it. Then all I gotta do is set up a couple of scripts to run a "Restore" function as soon as my HP hits zero, and BAM! Digital Immortality."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

RickVoid posted:

Name: Neo
Class: MagicianReality Hacker
"Look, chummer, it's not 'Magic'; it's jacking into a data packet and modifying a couple lines of code. It's editing the files of a couple air molecules to speed them up to the point where they spontaneously combust, or cracking your data-stream to bump your AC down a few digits, or add a couple of Hit Points back. Can't do too much at once though, not yet. I could probably write a program that would keep resetting your health back to full, no matter how many times you got hit, but that's real high-level code, and you gotta be real careful with poo poo like that because the System is more than happy to declare your character file corrupt and delete your happy rear end.

I got plans though. Big plans. I'm gonna see if I can't partition a section of the drive this world runs on, and stick a back-up of myself on it. Then all I gotta do is set up a couple of scripts to run a "Restore" function as soon as my HP hits zero, and BAM! Digital Immortality."
Someones been re-reading their Virtual Adepts Tradition Book.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Knockknees posted:

Not to spoil too much, but I've got the next two updates all played through and we've still got a non zero number of the original six. My previous post was lamenting some very frustrating deaths though. I'm going to be so relieved when I finally get a party that can at least walk around in the daytime without worrying about a full party wipe. It, while an amusing screenshot, is something I'm hoping not to have to show.

Next update will go up Wednesday.

I played Bard's Tale 1 through to completion in 2006, hand-drawing my own maps and backing up my party's files constantly to allay party wipes (which happen even at later levels thanks to monsters with charm spells turning your high-powered party on themselves). While I did use the previously linked Bard's Tale fan websites for assistance, they didn't have the dungeon maps uploaded to the site until I'd actually won, making those maps effectively useless. I ported my party over to Bard's Tale 2 but didn't get very far before I had a motherboard failure and lost all of my saves to the consequent HDD format. It's remembering the trauma of the early game (and absolutely sadistic dungeon design, gently caress magic mouths and teleporters!) that have kept me from "reliving the magic" and starting again.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Brewsuke posted:

NAME: YEEZUS BEEZUS
RACE: HUMAN
CLASS: HUNTER
PERSONALITY: Yeezus was raised by bees, and as such, only speaks very stunted Common. However, he is very skilled at his particular craft (his particular craft being murder), and whenever he can make a bee pun, he will. Whenever he sees a woman, he often has strange pickup lines, like, "Hey, baby. I'd attach a sword to my internal organs and pull them all out just to stab some guy who was trying to attack you." Needless to say, he does not attract very many mates like this.

As far as I'm aware, it's one character per poster.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Poor Qwo Poo... I was hoping he'd last a little longer, or at least not mauled to death by a bunch of rabid dogs.

"And with the death of Qwo Poo, the Ancient Art of Cheatalotto perished from history."

Maybe we should get a running list of the dead party members going. Though God knows how long that'll get.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Snorb posted:

Poor Qwo Poo... I was hoping he'd last a little longer, or at least not mauled to death by a bunch of rabid dogs.

"And with the death of Qwo Poo, the Ancient Art of Cheatalotto perished from history."

Maybe we should get a running list of the dead party members going. Though God knows how long that'll get.

I think I might be possibly close to a stable party, maybe, hopefully? So I'm hoping that the list of the dead doesn't get too much longer. I'll put a deathlist in the OP when I update tomorrow.

TehGherkin posted:

As far as I'm aware, it's one character per poster.

I don't care too much as long as no one else cares too much.

I may have ended up having to use Yeezus anyway because I might have possibly burned through all the other meat-shields...

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Well, in that case...

Name: Rezak One-Eye

Race: Half-Orc

Class: Fighter

Personality: He loves law, far, far too much. He is very enthusiastic about it. Things he is also enthusiastic about include murder, mayhem, the construction of a civil society, half-orc separatist movements, the terribly devilish threat of subversive gnome nationalism. He is a man of strong, but not entirely well thought through principles. Unrelatedly, he is not in fact, missing an eye.

Ragnar, noooooooo! :stonk:

NewMars fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 5, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Backup meatshield checking in.

Name: Ravenfeast
Class: Warrior
Personality:
"The corrupt gods of this world sit mewling for souls on their obsidian thrones, all the while ignoring the even more pitiful cries of their supplicants. If it is souls they want, I shall feed them until they choke and then continue to feed them until they burst. I shall climb mountains of the dead, broken and dying until I ascend to the heavens, and there I shall see if gods bleed!"

The barkeeper stared at the hulking, black-clad warrior for a few moments before responding. "That sounds quite, uh, lovely. Perhaps you misheard me. I only wanted to know if you wanted anything to drink."

"Oh, right. Ale please."

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Page 2: I have no wizzards!

Page 3: I may have burned through all the meatshields

This game :allears:

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Veloxyll posted:

Page 2: I have no wizzards!

Page 3: I may have burned through all the meatshields

This game :allears:

It's not me, it's the game, I swear!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Dang. Someone beat me to this.

Anyway yes, Bard's Tale is glorious. I hope you like corpses, because until we get rolling (or maybe after), you're gonna see a lot of them!

Also why are you not playing the C64 version, you're doing it wrong :colbert:

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

An obituary sounds pretty good!

Graham Facebiter the Half-Orc Warrior: Weakened by a bout with a horde of Mad Dogs, he fell to a sneaky strike from a Kobold ambush... but not before taking one of them with him! Died in Part 3.

Qwo Poo the Human Monk: First to fall in the great Mad Dog Massacre of Part 4, but not the last.

Wilfert Wiley the Human Hunter: Another tragic victim of Part 4's Mad Dog Massacre. Gone, but not forgotten.

Sir Roland the Human Paladin: The last to die before the group could finally escape. Requiescat in Pace, noble heroes of the Mad Dog Massacre.

I'm starting to see a trend with all these deaths. Who will end the mad dog menace?

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

NewMars posted:

Race: Half-Orc

Class: Paladin

Sorry Dude, because of racist guild rules, Half-Orcs can't be Paladins. Everybody, remember to double check restrictions in the race section of the OP. Otherwise terrible things might happen.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

An obituary sounds pretty good!

Hey I like this! Can I add a couple things (such as race/class) and add it to the OP? We can keep a running obituary and whatever people submit, I'll put in the OP.

Knockknees fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 5, 2014

• Locked thread