Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Bricoleur posted:

Because of Chris. He kept butting in. The audience loves Sonic, the audience wants to see Sonic, what the audience doesn't want to see is some rich kid with a loving family and friends at school mope about how Sonic is the only good thing in his life. They even took parts of other Sonic games and supplanted Chris in major scenes instead of the actual characters.

Do you know what the term 'facetious' means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It's where people aren't allowed to disagree or say mean things about you or else you ship them off to the factory and they're never seen again right

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

It's where people aren't allowed to disagree or say mean things about you or else you ship them off to the factory and they're never seen again right

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Nothing Was Ever Here, Friend - Let's Play Stalin's Lost World

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Pungry posted:

if you like anime comment on what your fav anime is
yu yu hakusho

Real hurthling! posted:

Sonic games are obsessed with long linear levels full of instant death pits. gently caress pits! the levels should be giant battlefield maps full of half pipes and loops that you need to run fetch quests through. Make it 90's looking as gently caress and thats your GOTY

loving super yep

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah that was bugging the hell out of me too, I couldn't understand how it wasn't also bugging you.

When you're acually playing the game it's really easy to not notice those things. Or worse, you notice them but you're moving too fast and the hint prompt vanishes by the time it occurs to you to hit it. K&K would do well to look at them every chance they get though, this game really demands the player learn how it works and the fun that can be had with it increases massively when you actually know what you're doing.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Update!
Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 2

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 6, 2014

samimalsam
Sep 29, 2004
Ooh! I remembered something else I'm looking forward to seeing if it was fixed. Something very important for Sonic games.

Pacing!

As in, with some levels, Sonic moved too fast for the screen and you were forced to slow down just so that you could actually see upcoming danger (or you were hitting the forward wall, thereby killing all momentum because the screen had to catch up to you). Or Sonic moved too slow to avoid dangers behind him. There were some levels with impending walls of doom where the pacing was just all over the place. Too slow here, too fast there. Fun stuff, Sonic Team!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Now that you're past Desert Ruins 1 have a cool speedrun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpFRR_vnQp0

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So apparently the key to Lost World is 420 spindash erryday? Neato.

Sigma_Bark
Jun 1, 2013
You know, I'm undecided on this game.
People constantly talk about it being quite janky in terms of control, but it definitely seems like something that you can get used to and will also find nice and relieved to have at times.
The levels look nice and so far seem to have good design, music is enjoyable. I'm somewhat thankful the game (so far) doesn't seem to be all like "Hey you liked the whisps from colours right? Well here they are again!", they don't seem to forced or shoe-horned in at all.
Also, again 'so far', I will say that I like Dr. Robotnik's writing and all the subtleties in his character.

However, I can't help but have this sinking feeling that there is going to be some new aspect of gameplay that is so in-cohesive and down right not fun that will be thrusted into your face.
I hope most of the negative press for this game has just come out of a knee jerk reaction to it being different from colours and generations and therefore, bad.

Looks bright and happy fun time super time time time time so far... so far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honeycomb Highway (Desert Ruins 2) is the best song and I am legally obligated to post these two kickass mashups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_F4hMYp8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-2ufHb06Mc

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I feel like this game's writing isn't as bad as Keith thinks it is but it's also not good. Doesn't look like a ton of fun to play though.

At least the music's pretty good.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Sigma_Bark posted:

However, I can't help but have this sinking feeling that there is going to be some new aspect of gameplay that is so in-cohesive and down right not fun that will be thrusted into your face.
Well there are some levels coming up that Kyle is going to become incredibly furious at that includes gimmicks, yes. :allears:

ChairMaster posted:

I feel like this game's writing isn't as bad as Keith thinks it is but it's also not good.
I feel it's kind of The Movie to Sonic Colors' saturday morning cartoon. It's less silly, the stakes are higher and the jokes are not as funny.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
The music in the game is super good. Tomoya Ohtani is a lot more varied in musical style than Jun Senoue, so a lot of the tracks are a lot more funky. For example the next Desert stage coming up is composed like Nicki should be rapping on top of it or something, it's p. cool.

For reference Ohtani is the guy who did the beats for the Knuckles stages in SA 2 and Hang Castle in Sonic Heroes.

I'm fairly neutral on the Sonic games themselves, but the music in almost all of them is solid, and honestly they've gotten better (or at least more varied) over time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The game definitely lacks the sense of awe and wonder what Unleashed and Generations levels had. If you haven't already tried this, then do it immediately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBE2EFNQoEo

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 6, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

The game definitely lacks the sense of awe and wonder what Unleashed and Generations levels had. If you haven't already tried this, then do it immediately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBE2EFNQoEo

Awww sweet, the good Unleashed stages with the more polished engine and without the timefiller werehog levels?

Everyone do this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Six Of Spades posted:

The music in the game is super good. Tomoya Ohtani is a lot more varied in musical style than Jun Senoue, so a lot of the tracks are a lot more funky. For example the next Desert stage coming up is composed like Nicki should be rapping on top of it or something, it's p. cool.

For reference Ohtani is the guy who did the beats for the Knuckles stages in SA 2 and Hang Castle in Sonic Heroes.

I'm fairly neutral on the Sonic games themselves, but the music in almost all of them is solid, and honestly they've gotten better (or at least more varied) over time.

Yeah I'm not huge on this game so far (the second world is definitely more visually interesting than the first), but the music is pretty great.

Also I love how Sonic Team keeps getting mileage out of that strangely detailed sandwich model.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ChairMaster posted:

I feel like this game's writing isn't as bad as Keith thinks it is but it's also not good. Doesn't look like a ton of fun to play though.

At least the music's pretty good.

Like I said, I think the Sonic/Tails/Eggman stuff is fine, but anything with the sorry dirty sneaky dadly deadly six is pretty awful

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Somethingdumb posted:

Like I said, I think the Sonic/Tails/Eggman stuff is fine, but anything with the sorry dirty sneaky dadly deadly six is pretty awful

It's fortunate they aren't the Dadly Six. Sonic would be so boned if he had to fight Joel from The Last of Us.

samimalsam
Sep 29, 2004
I was trying to figure out why I didn't like the music before but am okay with it now. I think it probably just became grating after hours of testing, sometimes spending a half hour or more on a single level.

I still think chill Bonobo-style electronic music would be perfect. :colbert:

Imagine zipping along to something like this.

WaltherFeng posted:

The game definitely lacks the sense of awe and wonder what Unleashed and Generations levels had. If you haven't already tried this, then do it immediately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBE2EFNQoEo
Yeah, that would have been nice.

samimalsam fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 7, 2014

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I don't understand why they bother to keep the monstars you haven't fought yet in silhouette form, considering they're featured rather prominently on the box art. There is no practical way you can go into the game not knowing what they look like.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm making an early plea for this in hopes that it saves Kyle some frustration later on:

Kyle, there are tutorials in this game. They're kind of hard to notice. Please try read them, because you can guarantee there will be some obscure gimmick level later where you will be stuck for an episode making exasperated grunting sounds every now and then while having a conversation with Keith. They're displayed on the gamepad when you get the big ol' question mark on the main screen.

Then again, maybe it's kind of a central part of the Run Button experience to have Kyle repeatedly fail a sequence for an entire episode while a fantastic podcast is happening.

E: Also, listen to these hot desert jams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta0k8jL0Ido

This game has fantastic music.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 7, 2014

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rW93VRpOdA

Gotta go faster.

I'm glad you're doing this. Thanks for continuing your fine tradition of playing lousy Sonic games so we don't have to!

...Speaking of which, yes, you DO need to do Sonic '06. Your viewers have been impatiently waiting for it. :colbert:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

samimalsam posted:

I still think chill Bonobo-style electronic music would be perfect. :colbert:

Imagine zipping along to something like this.

Yeah, that would have been nice.

I'm not feeling this at all. It's not fast or exciting at all, it's like completely antithetical to what Sonic is all about.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I think it's because they wanted to have the WiiU and 3DS experience to be as similar as possible. Previously the handheld Sonic releases alongside the console ones use entirely different assets and are developed by a different team; but I think this is the first time they've been in development fully simultaneously.

Now, that works for the likes of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate because that game has an intentionally throttled playing speed but they've obviously had to limit Lost World a hell of a lot to have the 3DS version run at the appropriate pace. Sections of the level are loaded separately with fade in/outs, instead of one large chunk. The texture style is simplified so it's still readable on a small screen.

I think if this game had been WiiU only, they would have been a lot more adventurous with the set pieces. That said, the running down the honeycomb sequence looks really cool, IMO.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Is seems to me that the biggest omission as far as control scheme goes in this game so far is the lack of quick step. Almost all of the 3D levels we've seen so far conform to the multi-lane architecture of the past few Sonic games, but they're complete rear end to move through because it doesn't lock you into those lanes like it should. Oh Sonic Team you finally find a solution to a big problem in your games and you completely ditch it first chance you get.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Had a big stream of thoughts to post as to why this game looks dumb, but then caterkiller turned up.

loving caterkiller.

e: Here's my thoughts anyway. loving everything slows you down. Spindash, jumping, killing enemies, changing direction slightly. Why would they do that?

I like the writing though. It's what I'd expect from a Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 7, 2014

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Six Of Spades posted:

I think it's because they wanted to have the WiiU and 3DS experience to be as similar as possible. Previously the handheld Sonic releases alongside the console ones use entirely different assets and are developed by a different team; but I think this is the first time they've been in development fully simultaneously.

Now, that works for the likes of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate because that game has an intentionally throttled playing speed but they've obviously had to limit Lost World a hell of a lot to have the 3DS version run at the appropriate pace. Sections of the level are loaded separately with fade in/outs, instead of one large chunk. The texture style is simplified so it's still readable on a small screen.

I think if this game had been WiiU only, they would have been a lot more adventurous with the set pieces. That said, the running down the honeycomb sequence looks really cool, IMO.
Is this also why the game feels a lot slower than other Sonic games? It looks really unnatural. Sonic should be smooth, fast. The day stages in Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations seemed to be leading up to a fast Sonic that could blast through stages. This Lost World Sonic feels too hampered, he just doesn't have the fluidity of previous Sonics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
For a series originally designed to show off how fast they can do things, it sure looks like they slowed it down for technical reasons.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

goatface posted:

For a series originally designed to show off how fast they can do things, it sure looks like they slowed it down for technical reasons.

If only Sega licensed their blast processing technology as well as the Sonic IP.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Six Of Spades posted:

Doubtful, dimps still designed the handheld version and that version is legitimately a bad game. All that happened here was Sonic Team tried something new, it didn't work out as well as they hoped, and they ended up with a mediocre game that has some great parts and some garbage parts.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

Ah, that's my mistake then. Though if that's the case I'm surprised they ended up so similar - you'd think the 3DS version would just do its own thing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered what that first sinister six guy you fought reminds me of. A bad attempt at mimicking Zed from Lollipop Chainsaw.

samimalsam
Sep 29, 2004

Davinci posted:

I'm not feeling this at all. It's not fast or exciting at all, it's like completely antithetical to what Sonic is all about.

I meant that general kind of feel, not necessarily that slow. The frenetic and overly happy music got to me. But you're probably right, and I'm sure there's a reason why I was one of the only ones in the room that complained about the music. Again, however, not all of the levels were fast, and some of the levels hinged on you going slow to explore. And again again, that may have been fixed. I... I was not in a happy place while having to playtest this. I had to remind myself that video games are FUN and for ENJOYMENT.

(This was around the time I finally picked up :darksouls:, which was a good kind of frustration in comparison.)

samimalsam fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 9, 2014

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

Eggman has been pretty dull so far, but that's probably because the character has been stuck with the sinister six so much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
From what I remember the writing just gets worse.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
:siren:Update time!:siren:

Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 3

On a side note, anyone want to take a stab at what's wrong with this image?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Somethingdumb posted:

:siren:Update time!:siren:

Let's Play Sonic Lost World Pt. 3

On a side note, anyone want to take a stab at what's wrong with this image?

The characters are all Sonic but the items are all Nintendo/Mario? All the other cupcakes reference the 80s but Sonic didn't exist until 1991? The terrifying visages? Literally everything else?

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Kabanaw posted:

The characters are all Sonic but the items are all Nintendo/Mario? All the other cupcakes reference the 80s but Sonic didn't exist until 1991? The terrifying visages? Literally everything else?
I was just gonna say the tops of the cupcakes look like cookies and thats effed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You do not, in fact, love the 80s?

• Locked thread