Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 17 - Challenege Accepted

We encounter a new enemy type in today's episode. Like most things at this point in the game they can really mess you up if you're not prepared for them. I really should have switched to the flame rounds instead of trying to let the spread of the explosive rounds take out the 2 ivy monsters. It takes about 2 flame rounds to kill an ivy monster, so I would have used less ammo and probably not come as close to dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I know that Chill sonic LP you mentioned two videos ago! I can't find it anywhere though, because sadly, "Chill Sonic LP" is not a helpful search phrase. I'd swear it was one of the SA forums LP superstars who did it, too. I can almost hear their voice...

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Are you referring to Cybershell's LP? It's in the archive.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Yes! I think it's the Easy Mode run by Doc Future, but it's been taken down from blip. So sad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The Chronicles LP got me into a RE kick, so I just watched this whole thing the last couple days. Really enjoying it, except for now I feel like I binged through all but the last episode of House of Cards and Netflix is gonna make me wait three weeks til they release the finale :/

Pretty surprised though, between the amount of activity in the RE megathread and in the Chronicles thread you would think this LP would be getting way more love. Glad you guys are still pressing through it!

Couple of Qs: A REmake LP has been mentioned a couple times, but I didn't see it on LPArchive. Is it buried in the currently-dead SA archives?

I never heard it explained why you guys are doing a Leon A/Claire B run. Since the "canon" version is Claire A/Leon B, is there any particular reason why you guys are doing it this way?

How are you/when did you record all this? The commentary is fairly strange to listen to at points because you guys accomplish stuff or talk about things that you think might happen or items that might be around as one character after you've already done them/seen them as the other character.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Yes! I think it's the Easy Mode run by Doc Future, but it's been taken down from blip. So sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ef8SD9gUg

Is this it?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

That's the one! Excellent find, thank you for that.

site posted:

Couple of Qs: A REmake LP has been mentioned a couple times, but I didn't see it on LPArchive. Is it buried in the currently-dead SA archives?

I never heard it explained why you guys are doing a Leon A/Claire B run. Since the "canon" version is Claire A/Leon B, is there any particular reason why you guys are doing it this way?

How are you/when did you record all this? The commentary is fairly strange to listen to at points because you guys accomplish stuff or talk about things that you think might happen or items that might be around as one character after you've already done them/seen them as the other character.

Our LP of REmake was done before I started posting to SA, so there is no actual thread for it. The playlist is up on our channel, you can find it here.

The big reason for our scenario order is just a personal preference thing. Alden wanted to play Leon and I wanted to play Claire, but I haven't played RE2 in like 10 years so I wanted to watch his playthrough before jumping right back into it. I was also not aware that Claire A/ Leon B was the canon version. On that note, due to the simultaneous nature we wanted to do this in, both scenarios were recorded ahead of time and then edited together. We are actually using the same save file, so in order for me to start my Claire B file I had to wait until Alden had finished his Leon A playthrough. It makes for a bit of weird chronology at times because you will have seen things that happened as Claire, but in Leon's scenario we haven't seen them happen yet.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 18 - 2X Puzzle Combo

We come across a puzzle in today's episode that actually requires both Leon and Claire to complete an optional boss fight before you can complete it. It's kind of silly that it's the exact same boss. Though I guess one of the larva could have matured between when Leon kills the giant moth and Claire kills it? One of the properties of the G-Virus is rapid cell growth / mutation.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Are you sure you couldn't just go next to the computer and aim down with the grenade launcher?
Also I've never seen that secret before, that's pretty cool.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Demicol posted:

Are you sure you couldn't just go next to the computer and aim down with the grenade launcher?
Also I've never seen that secret before, that's pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure the explosive grenade rounds would have cleared them out, but I didn't really want to waste the ammo on them. Explosive rounds aren't exactly at a premium right now, but I still don't want to be using them when I really don't need to.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That secret so close to the end of the game is like telling you "Yeah, buddy. You just go loving nuts! You've earned it!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, that clip of bullets is enough to fill up the machine gun all over again? How many bullets even is that?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

For the type of gun it is, it should be thirty. In reality, I think it's more like a thousand.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ceraph posted:

That's the one! Excellent find, thank you for that.

Our LP of REmake was done before I started posting to SA, so there is no actual thread for it. The playlist is up on our channel, you can find it here.

The big reason for our scenario order is just a personal preference thing. Alden wanted to play Leon and I wanted to play Claire, but I haven't played RE2 in like 10 years so I wanted to watch his playthrough before jumping right back into it. I was also not aware that Claire A/ Leon B was the canon version. On that note, due to the simultaneous nature we wanted to do this in, both scenarios were recorded ahead of time and then edited together. We are actually using the same save file, so in order for me to start my Claire B file I had to wait until Alden had finished his Leon A playthrough. It makes for a bit of weird chronology at times because you will have seen things that happened as Claire, but in Leon's scenario we haven't seen them happen yet.

Cool, thanks! And yeah I kinda figured that's how the recording was done. Totally makes sense that you'd do it that way too, it just makes the commentary a bit strange at time.

I believe the Claire A/Leon B story became canon with the release of RE6, because Sherry gets infected with G in that story only...or something. I remember Wanderer discussing it either in the Chronicles LP thread or the megathread or somewhere. It also makes Ada's return in 4 less problematic because in Leon B she just gets thrown into a console by Mr. X and left for dead by Leon, instead of falling down a bottomless pit or whatever that happens in Leon A.

Also I forgot to say last time: You guys have the BEST transitions; CSI, MegaMan, the Batman TV show...awesome.

EDIT: That SMG ammo secret seems like a "gently caress you." from Capcom to me. Isn't the SMG one of those "special" guns that decreases your rank? It's like they're goading you into screwing yourself over at the last possible moment, because now you're like, "Hey, I have a shitton of ammo for this gun! I may as well use it!"

Of course I could be wrong and the SMG isn't one of those weapons, and this point would be null and void...

site fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 15, 2014

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

site posted:

That SMG ammo secret seems like a "gently caress you." from Capcom to me. Isn't the SMG one of those "special" guns that decreases your rank? It's like they're goading you into screwing yourself over at the last possible moment, because now you're like, "Hey, I have a shitton of ammo for this gun! I may as well use it!"

Of course I could be wrong and the SMG isn't one of those weapons, and this point would be null and void...

I haven't done any scientific testing myself, but I am pretty sure that the SMG is in fact a "special" weapon that will drop your rank. Honestly this secret room has the potential to be useless in a couple ways. First is if you are shooting for A rank then you won't be using the SMG anyways. Secondly, if you recall, we picked up the SMG in the room that was locked via the access card obtained in the morgue. Either Leon or Claire can access this room and take the SMG, so if you unknowingly grab the SMG in your A scenario you have completely screwed yourself out of the extra clip, because that can only be obtained in the B scenario. I'm honestly not sure what happens if you picked up the SMG in the A scenario. They might give you ammo for something else, or they could just give you the clip anyways as sort of a "here's what you missed" kind of thing.

site posted:

Also I forgot to say last time: You guys have the BEST transitions; CSI, MegaMan, the Batman TV show...awesome.

Thanks! We probably put just as much time into the transitions as figuring out the scenario cuts haha. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them!

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 16, 2014

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 19 - Not An Employee

Is anyone else starting to wonder how Annette seems to be everywhere at once? I know she's worked at the Umbrella lab for years and probably knows it like the back of her hand but it seems a little silly at times how she will just disappear and reappear all over the place. She also seems completely unhindered by the masses of undead wandering around everywhere. Does it mention anywhere if Umbrella employees are given combat training or anything? At the very least she seems to be a pretty good shot with a handgun.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Ceraph posted:

I haven't done any scientific testing myself, but I am pretty sure that the SMG is in fact a "special" weapon that will drop your rank. Honestly this secret room has the potential to be useless in a couple ways. First is if you are shooting for A rank then you won't be using the SMG anyways. Secondly, if you recall, we picked up the SMG in the room that was locked via the access card obtained in the morgue. Either Leon or Claire can access this room and take the SMG, so if you unknowingly grab the SMG in your A scenario you have completely screwed yourself out of the extra clip, because that can only be obtained in the B scenario. I'm honestly not sure what happens if you picked up the SMG in the A scenario. They might give you ammo for something else, or they could just give you the clip anyways as sort of a "here's what you missed" kind of thing.

According to the wiki, if you get the SMG in the A scenario, the clip will instead be a second SMG for the B scenario.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ceraph posted:

Episode 19 - Not An Employee

Is anyone else starting to wonder how Annette seems to be everywhere at once? I know she's worked at the Umbrella lab for years and probably knows it like the back of her hand but it seems a little silly at times how she will just disappear and reappear all over the place. She also seems completely unhindered by the masses of undead wandering around everywhere. Does it mention anywhere if Umbrella employees are given combat training or anything? At the very least she seems to be a pretty good shot with a handgun.

The novel has a scene where Annette takes a load of prescription drugs to perk her up so she's high for much of the time, but she just knows the layout really well and keeps to the hidden control rooms and such via catwalks above and such.

Or she has magical plot teleportation powers.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Judge Tesla posted:

The novel has a scene where Annette takes a load of prescription drugs to perk her up so she's high for much of the time, but she just knows the layout really well and keeps to the hidden control rooms and such via catwalks above and such.

Or she has magical plot teleportation powers.

I guess being stoned off her gourd would kind of explain her erratic behavior. That or she is just straight crazy.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 20 - Leon Finale

We're down to the home stretch as we wrap up Leon's half of the story. Site mentioned earlier that it seemed very unlikely that Ada would survive Leon's A scenario. I think getting shot (possibly through the heart) and falling into a giant chasm qualifies as being difficult to survive.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
I feel like a dick being so late to the party on this, especially after hearing you guys talk about it in the latest video, but uh... You do know that you can auto aim in Dual Shock RE2, right? Hell, maybe it's even possible in the standard game. I dunno, it's been too long since I've played it.

Literally all you have to do is set controller config to type C. R1 is aim as normal, and L1 changes between targets.

Edit: I may be misremembering. I do remember there being talk of no quick turn, which for sure is a pain in the rear end. I seem to remember some talk of auto aim for some reason, though.

Tofu Survivor fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 22, 2014

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I hope you realize now how you were way too careful with your ammo management. You even went the trouble of dodging the last zombies in the game instead of blowing them up with your shotgun and got bitten because of that.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Better to have too much ammo, than not have enough. The first time I played through this, I misestimated the damage output of the *magnum, and assumed it was just a better version of the pistol, which lead me to waste most of the ammo on more minor threats. If I'd been using the shotgun to clear out the naked zombies just because I was pretty sure I was near the end of the game, I would have been completely screwed when I ran into Final Bill.

*I wasn't a super smart child. You'd think the kick would have tipped me off that this was a powerful gun.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Tofu Survivor posted:

I feel like a dick being so late to the party on this, especially after hearing you guys talk about it in the latest video, but uh... You do know that you can auto aim in Dual Shock RE2, right? Hell, maybe it's even possible in the standard game. I dunno, it's been too long since I've played it.

Literally all you have to do is set controller config to type C. R1 is aim as normal, and L1 changes between targets.

Edit: I may be misremembering. I do remember there being talk of no quick turn, which for sure is a pain in the rear end. I seem to remember some talk of auto aim for some reason, though.

I just doubled checked and while I can't speak for the original version of the game, the Dual Shock version definitely has an auto aim control scheme. It is in fact control type C in the options menu. I did not see anything for quick turning while looking around the menus, though.

Demicol posted:

I hope you realize now how you were way too careful with your ammo management. You even went the trouble of dodging the last zombies in the game instead of blowing them up with your shotgun and got bitten because of that.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Better to have too much ammo, than not have enough. The first time I played through this, I misestimated the damage output of the *magnum, and assumed it was just a better version of the pistol, which lead me to waste most of the ammo on more minor threats. If I'd been using the shotgun to clear out the naked zombies just because I was pretty sure I was near the end of the game, I would have been completely screwed when I ran into Final Bill.

*I wasn't a super smart child. You'd think the kick would have tipped me off that this was a powerful gun.

There is a happy middle ground. We did hoard our ammo too much, but for people who aren't familiar with the game you don't want to waste the better gun ammo on small fry. If you're going for a speed run, though, and know exactly how do distribute your ammo I would definitely say to use the shotgun on the regular zombies. It is significantly faster and there is more than enough shotgun ammo in the game to clear out a pretty good chunk of the regular zombies.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
FINAL Episode - Your Mother's About to Explode

With the conclusion of Claire's B scenario this wraps up our main playthroughs! We will be going back and recording some showcases for the secrets and unlockables in this game, so it's not quite the end just yet. Also I really like that the B scenario has an extra fight and different cutscenes instead of just being "Hey, this is where their stories converge, here's that cutscene you saw again!"

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for the LP! Besides the technical issues I enjoyed it. I never got a chance to play trough the B-scenarios when I owned the game so it was all new to me.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Ceraph posted:

I just doubled checked and while I can't speak for the original version of the game, the Dual Shock version definitely has an auto aim control scheme. It is in fact control type C in the options menu. I did not see anything for quick turning while looking around the menus, though.

The original RE2 does have the Type-C controls with auto-aim. The Dual Shock version instead comes with a cheat relating loosely to it.

While on Type C, hold R1 and press Square ten times. If you did it right, Type-C will turn from Red to White. This unlocks Infinite Ammo in all game modes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

site posted:

I believe the Claire A/Leon B story became canon with the release of RE6, because Sherry gets infected with G in that story only...or something. I remember Wanderer discussing it either in the Chronicles LP thread or the megathread or somewhere. It also makes Ada's return in 4 less problematic because in Leon B she just gets thrown into a console by Mr. X and left for dead by Leon, instead of falling down a bottomless pit or whatever that happens in Leon A.

Claire A/Leon B has been canon for a LOT longer than that. I believe the first mentions that it was canon came with Umbrella Chronicles what with Ada's scenario being if Leon was chased by Mr. X instead of getting shot by Annette. Of course, then Darkside Chronicles came along and out and out stated that Claire A was the canon since it was all about Leon and Claire racing to save Sherry.

Thanks for the fairly informative LP guys, watching you guys play reminds me of when I play with my friends :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nooooo, it's (just about) over :( This is still my favorite of the RE games, and like Aces High, the commentary reminded me of playing it with a friend back in the day.

I also went back and watched your guys' LP of REmake. I felt so bad hearing you guys complain about the several times you guys had to run through the first half, but at the same time after hearing you guys talk near the end about having started recording the Jill half, I was sad that LP never materialized. Completely understand how burnt out you two must've been after getting through Chris' game, though.

Aces High posted:

Claire A/Leon B has been canon for a LOT longer than that. I believe the first mentions that it was canon came with Umbrella Chronicles what with Ada's scenario being if Leon was chased by Mr. X instead of getting shot by Annette. Of course, then Darkside Chronicles came along and out and out stated that Claire A was the canon since it was all about Leon and Claire racing to save Sherry.

You're right. I can't believe I forgot about that after having just recently watched that LP...it's hard to keep track sometimes.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
This was a pretty great LP. You guys kept it informative and fun, and I found myself learning a lot about this game that I never had before. Also appreciate the effort put in with the subtitles for the cutscenes.

However, after hearing my renter's reaction to their cat biting them while playing, I'm not going to be able to unhear "Why'd he bite me?! :bahgawd:" from now on, even in real life. Thanks for that, guys.

Mr. Soop fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 29, 2014

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That cat's a maniac!

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Thanks guys! I had a lot of fun working on this. Things have been really busy at work so I haven't had as much time to work on the bonus episodes as I would have liked, but we have one recorded and I will get it edited and uploaded ASAP. On a related note we've decided to stream our A Rank runthroughs on Twitch on our path to showcase the unlockables. Right now we're planning on starting up around 3P EST this Sunday (6/1/14). We'll be doing the complementary runs as well (Claire A / Leon B) so check it out if you want to see the other path of the story. We will try and get this up on YouTube afterward, but we've never actively streamed something on Twitch before so I would not at all be surprised if something went horribly wrong. I will have a link up as soon as I can get one, also I will let you know if the details change at all.

site posted:

I also went back and watched your guys' LP of REmake. I felt so bad hearing you guys complain about the several times you guys had to run through the first half, but at the same time after hearing you guys talk near the end about having started recording the Jill half, I was sad that LP never materialized. Completely understand how burnt out you two must've been after getting through Chris' game, though.

We are still planning on finishing the Jill half of REmake, though we will probably do something else first just to break it up.

Edit: I figured out this whole twitch thing! If you are so inclined you'll be able to follow us at: http://www.twitch.tv/clandooplay

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 31, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nice finish to this all. Though having entirely too much experience with Capcom plots I can't help but wonder if Sherry's comment was designed to deflect the idea that what she did was kind of crazy - a kid did it on TV somewhere, so blame that, not the writers!

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Super Bonus - Dress Up Time

Hey guys! We are finally back to showcase all the extra goodies that Capcom packed in Resident Evil 2! First up, we're showing off the extra costumes you can unlock by reaching the police station without picking up any items. Once you get the hang of dodging around zombies it's really not so bad.

Next up we'll be showcasing the rewards for completing the game with an A rank. I will actually be posting this one in a couple days, I promise it won't be another two months!

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Out of curiosity, is it just the A-Rank stuff from the base game, or are you including Extreme Battle Mode (from the dual-shock version) and/or the Randomizer (from the N64 version)?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Mountain Lightning posted:

Out of curiosity, is it just the A-Rank stuff from the base game, or are you including Extreme Battle Mode (from the dual-shock version) and/or the Randomizer (from the N64 version)?

We'll be demoing off the weapons you can unlock as well as the two additional "survivor" scenarios Hunk and Tofu. It does not cover Extreme Battle Mode or the Randomizer.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Super Bonus - The Mercenaries

Today we're showcasing the extra game modes and weapons you can unlock by beating the game under various conditions. It's surprisingly hard to find definitive information on how to unlock these things, but I can tell you the exact conditions we unlocked everything in:

Claire A Scenario: Clear time over 2:30 / Rank A (No immediate unlocks)

Leon B Scenario: Clear time under 2:30 / Rank A (unlocked all 3 infinite weapons and both survivor scenarios)

Well guys, this is actually going to wrap us up for Resident Evil 2! I had a ton of fun doing this LP, and I hope you guys had fun watching it! Thanks for sticking around.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
And the LP ends with Drew showing that he is truly the Master of Tofuing. Well done. :golfclap:

Thanks for the LP, guys. Your level of chill is pretty good, and I'm looking forward to more DOO Play. Any chance you'll be doing another RE game? I'd be down for more of that if you guys aren't sick of it yet.

Childre Inarabitta
Jul 22, 2007

Frozen Funeral Death Rabbit
Thanks for the great LP guys! This was one of my favorite games while growing up and watching you two play it was a really enjoyable experience!

Your reward for beating tofu survivor is a screen of HUNK eating cooked tofu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Ceraph posted:

I haven't done any scientific testing myself, but I am pretty sure that the SMG is in fact a "special" weapon that will drop your rank

This post is a bit older but I don't think anyone corrected this yet. While rumors persist that all two slot weapons (The SMG, spark shot and flamethrower) decrease your ranking, none of them actually do. ( I use all of them doing my playthroughs and have no issues getting A ranks.)

Only the unlockable SMG with infinite ammo, as well as the other unlockable guns, do that.

• Locked thread