Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Those knees were close as poo poo, but didn't the UFC recently change the rules about them where the refs now have more leeway when a dude is balancing one hand on the mat to bait illegal knees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Those knees were close as poo poo, but didn't the UFC recently change the rules about them where the refs now have more leeway when a dude is balancing one hand on the mat to bait illegal knees?

The UFC doesn't set the rules. They follow the unified rules that are set by the various athletic commissions. I know a number of refs, though, like Big John don't give a drat if you have a finger down if you're just gaming the system. It would have been wonderful if JBJ had got hit by that kick from Vitor.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The UFC doesn't set the rules. They follow the unified rules that are set by the various athletic commissions. I know a number of refs, though, like Big John don't give a drat if you have a finger down if you're just gaming the system. It would have been wonderful if JBJ had got hit by that kick from Vitor.

Whenever he loses he's going to unleash the carnivale of excuses isn't he

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Whenever he loses he's going to unleash the carnivale of excuses isn't he

I hope so bad glover puts him out tonight.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Pendred saving a baby dolphin is getting a lot of play in Ireland today

Swoon

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

rovert posted:

Pendred saving a baby dolphin is getting a lot of play in Ireland today

Swoon

Who? And what?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
He's the Irish guy who just fought a boring bad fight on TUF. He'll undoubtedly be on UFC's July 19th Dublin show.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's a feel good story until you read the next paragraph and realize it was Conor McGregor who knocked the dolphin out and beached him in the first place.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I thought the Cathal/Urbina fight was ok, for a TUF fight.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brasseye posted:

I liked the fight, but all that prefight hype about Cathal being some unknown euro destroyer was kinda annoying

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Brasseye posted:

I thought the whole baiting the illegal knees thing was annoying as hell. There were times on the ground when Cathal was trying to knee the shoulder and Hector would move his head into it and make a face like he had something to complain about. It looked like the knees on the ground had pretty much no power in them anyway; more of a stay busy and maintain position thing. In the grand scheme of TUF, I can't really blame the guy, but I didn't think it made for a very entertaining fight.

I can't remember which fight off the top of my head, but some searching leads me to believe this is Buentello-Kongo; in that fight Buentello is doing the hand up down up down thing to ground himself as a knee was coming and Kongo eventually knees him in the head while his hands are on the mat and Herb Dean tells him something about that's what you get for trying to play the game. If you wanna complain either put your hands down and stay there or stand up. Jones-Vitor had a moment like that in the opening seconds of the fight when Jones was crawling at Vitor and Vitor kicked right above Jon's head which made him lift his hands off the mat to block. Of course he complained, but Big John just told him, "Well, you wanna play the game..."

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that kind of gamesmanship is annoying whenever it happens, but I thought it was a fairly entertaining fight for the most part. Better than the stuff I've seen on the Silva vs Sonnen series so far anyway.

Between a lack of focus on silly house drama (I'm probably speaking too soon on this one but nobody seems like a Junie Browning yet), the mostly good fights to get into the house and the fact that Mark Coleman is invilved I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this season.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Brasseye posted:

Yeah that kind of gamesmanship is annoying whenever it happens, but I thought it was a fairly entertaining fight for the most part. Better than the stuff I've seen on the Silva vs Sonnen series so far anyway.

Between a lack of focus on silly house drama (I'm probably speaking too soon on this one but nobody seems like a Junie Browning yet), the mostly good fights to get into the house and the fact that Mark Coleman is invilved I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this season.

It was annoying because Urbina had a definite shot at winning if he didn't pull that poo poo. Cathal was hittable as hell and Urbina was landing when he came forward throwing combos. Instead of trying to stand up, he tried to get a freebie win by DQ. He didn't want to be a fuckin' fighter I guess.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah Frankie's freakout in the locker room was pretty justifiable, imo. Dude gave away the third round. I don't think Pendred is some kind of wrestling god where sitouts wouldn't work to get you out of that position.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Renzo AND Mark Coleman on one show is must see tv

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Renzo AND Mark Coleman on one show is must see tv

Renzo and Coleman needs to be a weekly wrap-up show. And not just for TUF wrap-ups.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Renzo and Coleman needs to be a weekly wrap-up show. And not just for TUF wrap-ups.

Renzo and Coleman needs to be a weekly talk show akin to Crossfire or something.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That is seriously the least-impressed-looking set of faces at a sermon I think I've ever seen.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Matt Hughes must be so conflicted. He likes the message but is uncomfortable around the messenger.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also gently caress yo' prosperity gospel, talking about how rich god made you is like the most un-christian possible way to conduct yourself

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"Team Penn on 3, okay?"

"3, 2, 1, Team Penn!" :downsgun:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Penn using Coleman as a loudspeaker/megaphone is fantastic.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
It must be really frustrating for Frankie to be giving good corner advice and have his fighter do absolutely anything but what he's telling him to for two fights in a row

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

It must be really frustrating for Frankie to be giving good corner advice and have his fighter do absolutely anything but what he's telling him to for two fights in a row

Now the Wang's in the other corner

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

Now the Wang's in the other corner

hahahahah

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wow, that was.... not a good choice on BJ's part, imo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fatherdog posted:

Also gently caress yo' prosperity gospel, talking about how rich god made you is like the most un-christian possible way to conduct yourself

I like how a van full of professional brain damage havers saw right through it in 5 seconds. Really makes you question the intellect of the general public.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I like how a van full of professional brain damage havers saw right through it in 5 seconds. Really makes you question the intellect of the general public.

quote:

If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

...bitch.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

I wasn't watching and missed this but I'm suddenly very curious, can I get a synopsis of what happened?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

LobsterMobster posted:

Penn using Coleman as a loudspeaker/megaphone is fantastic.

watched the episode solely because of this post, and it was the only enjoyable moment

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EvanSchenck posted:

I wasn't watching and missed this but I'm suddenly very curious, can I get a synopsis of what happened?

That preacher guy gave a "sermon" where he was pretty much like "I'm not braggin' or nothing, but I got a boat and a mansion and a rolex and God did that cuz he luvs me." Later, in the team Penn car, all the fighters were poo poo talking the preacher guy and saying that if he was so godly he should sell all that poo poo and give the proceeds to poor people.

Also, lol at him after the fight. "Lord, I'm sure you get glory from this loss. You know I'm not arguin' or nothin' lord, but I wanted to win though. But I know it's your plan. But I definitely lost because I practiced wrong. And I wanted to win. But go Lord!"

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

EvanSchenck posted:

can I get a synopsis of what happened?

TV GUIDE:

The Ultimate Fighter - SPORTS - God sends Frankie Edgar and Renzo Gracie to tell one of his chosen people what to do but he is too stupid to listen. Dana White apologizes. New episode next week.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

watched the episode solely because of this post, and it was the only enjoyable moment

I dunno, Renzo was pretty funny during the training session.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

InfiniteZero posted:

TV GUIDE:

The Ultimate Fighter - SPORTS - God sends Frankie Edgar and Renzo Gracie to tell one of his chosen people what to do but he is too stupid to listen. Dana White apologizes. New episode next week.

Well done.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I don't want to watch this but has it been made apparent that Jason Parillo is a lunatic yet?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

That preacher guy gave a "sermon" where he was pretty much like "I'm not braggin' or nothing, but I got a boat and a mansion and a rolex and God did that cuz he luvs me." Later, in the team Penn car, all the fighters were poo poo talking the preacher guy and saying that if he was so godly he should sell all that poo poo and give the proceeds to poor people.
I'm not watching this season, but I still want to know the chain of events that lead to this being on TUF. Is one of the coaches into this preacher?

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.
One of the fighters is a preacher.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Grifter posted:

I'm not watching this season, but I still want to know the chain of events that lead to this being on TUF. Is one of the coaches into this preacher?

Preacher is a fighter also he lost

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It was an honest to god act of God that he even got into the house, so that fight went as expected (except for the 1-hit knock-out guy trying to show off lovely wrestling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
God gave that guy a Jag? That's awesome.

Fake edit: Did the strangler guy try out before?

Real edit: And BJ says he doesn't know why Tim reminds him of Joe Lauzon like it's not completely obvious that both of them look like Caucasian orcs. Both seem like great guys though.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 2, 2014

• Locked thread