Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
NPC chatter time! We'll be starting off with Java, after we get the pass.

: I'll tell you! Wahahan! Well, you sail on a ship for a month and finally you reach the New World. An unknown world spreads out before you, but always accompanied by dangers that could lead to death. There are just swarms of horrible monsters nothing like the ones here who'd gobble you up for lunch. Well, just make sure you don't become a delicious monster lunch!

: Eee heeheehee!

: Boy, I'll tell you something. The New World has men with the same burning soul as me. There's a place that attracts men with the burning soul of an adventurer.

: I mean the Adventurers Society! If you have some trouble, be sure to go there. I'm sure they'll help you.

: Wow, the Adventurers Society!

: Good! Soon as I reach the New World I'll go there right away!

: This pass contains my blood, sweat, tears and soul and a few other things. Be sure not to lose it.

: It's sort of stinky, though.

: But thank you, Java!

Java used to be part of the Adventurers Society, huh? Interesting...

Anyway, that's it for Java. Back to Parm, sans Sue.

: Well, we had a little....

: You must have had a fight. Don't worry, you'll make up by tomorrow.

: Wow. Poor guy. But I really can't be worrying about someone else.

: It was really a Great Adventure.

: If it weren't me, it mighta been bad.

: Ha ha ha, you're just full of confidence. Justin, you don't change a bit even after a Great Adventure. Ha ha ha ha! Justin, you're always so perky!

: Uh-oh. I broke the Icarian Statue. I feel sorry for the poor curator.

: What a relief. Now I'll be able to sleep at night again.

Even the loving junk pile has a different quote without Sue.

Between this, the dialog for the next morning, and all of the Steamer NPCs, I'm probably going to be behind on NPC chatter updates for quite a while.

It was at this point that I decided to see if Java said anything new, and found the Leck Mines were disabled as well.

Thankfully.

: Say, why don't you confide in me? I'll solve your problem right away. ♪

: Oh, Justin, it's just that... my husband works at the factory, right? He's been real tired lately. I'm glad the town has gotten big and busy, but I'm worried about him getting tired. Worrying about it does no good. Guess I have to support him more. I think I'll make a healthy dinner!

: Don't worry, you might not be rid of me so easy.

: C'mon, c'mon, gather round! Special closing-time offer! Leftover soup, ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT! Hey? Justin, you're looking down! How about having something to eat at our place once in a while?

: Hmm. Maybe I will sometime. But today, I really want to eat my Mom's cooking.

: Is Miss Lilly's cooking really all that delicious? We've gotta work to keep up!

: But I think the Blue Marlin's food has been getting better lately.

: Guess so.

: I hope I see you again.

The owner repeats his quote about lizard tail and horse manure soup, but the lobster...

: Hey, you better stay alive till I get back! I'm gonna be the one to kill you!

Someone should tell the ReDux Complete guy to add this lobster as a bonus boss.

Crossing the bridge into North Parm...

Umm...

: I guess I sorta made Sue mad. So she was crying, huh...?

: She may pretend to be an adult, but inside she is still a kid. Please remember that, Justin.

: You're right.... I guess I might have said too much. Sorry, Sue....

: You're older than her, so you have to be the one to apologize.

: Right, I'll do it as soon as I get back from my adventure.

The woman by the posters, the posters themselves, and the soldier on the port road all have the same dialog. The Young Men's Club guy, though...

: Wow, the Young Men's Club does lookout duty too.

: I didn't know that.

: Parm's on the front lines of industry so strangers sometimes come around. That's why we are on patrol. The lookout is about to change! I'm gonna work hard! This too is for the good of Parm. ♪

Continuing our counterclockwise circuit of the city, we head for the harbor.

: The ship sails tomorrow morning. Soon I'll say good-bye to the town.

: Really?

: So how's the Steamer running? I'm gonna board it.

: The one that just came into port? Hmm, a modern Steamer that has an engine with a good, solid rumble.

: Wow! COOL! You can tell just from the sound.

: Yep, I can guarantee there'll be no problems on your voyage. Well, I DID build the engine.

: So you knew all along.

: Well, if you built it, then I feel better about taking the ship!

: My infatuation has grown into love and we will grow an undying love together with my girl. Hee hee. ♥

: Ah hahaha. I don't know. I don't quite know what you mean by all that.

: Justin, you're too young for love. But this is my lesson to you for when the time comes.

The kid who wants to be a merchant has nothing new to say, but Mr. Ren does.

Including the tidbit about this being the only Steamer trip until the summer.

: The New World where that ship is going has lots of adventures awaiting. Lots of exciting adventures!

: You're right. The New World has adventures awaiting.

Back in main Parm, let's check in on Pippi, and see if anyone has found her hidden stuf-

:stare:

: Wow! You're still playing, Pippi?

: Pippi, I don't think you're cut out to be "it" in hide-and-seek.

: I want to have someone else be "it" but just where exactly is everyone hiding?

Inside Gantz's house, we've got a few new things. Except from Gantz's Mom.

: We'd compete to see who got a bigger bump -- him from the mop or me from the tray.

: That was the only competition that I lost to Gantz.

: Gantz... take care of Sue for me.

: The box must be worth more than the contents.

: I kind of doubt he's really sad.

Outside, we find a few more people. Bertie, the green-hatted mailman, has nothing new to say.

: Waaah, waaah! I've been hiding for so long, and nobody came to find me!

: I guess you shouldn't have made Pippi "it".

: Hey, Justin. You been the the inventor's place lately? You ought to go visit.

This conversation changes depending on whether or not we've visited the inventor yet. Let's start with not having done so.

: That old guy really seems to like explaining his inventions to you, Justin.

: Now that you mention it, he gets real excited when he's explaining his inventions.

: Go visit him every now and then. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you.

: Hmm. Maybe I oughta go see that guy before I go to the New Continent.

And now, after having visited...

: He he he, that old man gave me some coal candy.

: But can ya really eat this stuff?

Around the corner, we run into more of the hide-and-seek kids.

: What's this, Justin? Where's Sue?

: Well, um, it's sorta complicated....

: But I really envy Sue. I wish I too had a big brother like you, Justin.

Still not transcribing these.

Onward!

Gramps repeats his bit about how he used to go adventuring until he lost a fight to Gram. However, since Sue isn't around, Justin provides the ending line of that conversation now.

: Gramps, you wouldn't have lost if you'd had Java train you.

: Lately there aren't so many boys like Justin who like adventures. When I was a child, all the boys used to love playing "Adventure".

: I wish I were born then.

: Huh!? If that were so, wouldn't I be a grandpa already!?

: Kids grow up with dreams. I hope THAT doesn't change even if the times change.

Back out in Parm, House 4 has nothing new to say.

House 2, though...

: Just when he finally came back, my husband says he's going on another sea voyage. I'm so flustered. He seems to love the sea more than even me! But I really love that about him. ♥

: Waaah, waaah! Daddy, Daddy, don't go away. Play with me some more.

: Wonder if I cried like this when my Dad went out on his adventures when I was little.

: But if you want to become a sailor like you Dad, you can't be crying.

: You gotta become a sailor and someday have the strength to chase after your Dad's boat.

: That's it! Then I can be with my Daddy all the time.

: I feel bad for my family but I have to make them worry again. I'm going on another sea voyage. Please play with my boy while I'm away, OK, Justin?

: I-I see. I think Sue will be able to play with him.

: I hope that my boy will grow up to be a strong, adventurous boy like you, Justin.

: He he he. Sir, you're the only one who says that.

In a recurring theme this update, even the loving inanimate objects spark new quotes.

: That Sue said a first-rate lady should be able to play an instrument as a sign of good breeding.

: By the time I get back to Parm, think she'll be able to play this violin?

Upstairs, the old guy has some new dialog due to the lack of Sue.

: Don't worry, I'll deliver it.

Back out in the streets, the Joule Foundation guy who argued with Sue has some new dialog, rather obviously.

: Wow, the Joule Foundation guys are just like me, huh! "Active throughout the world", huh!

The soldier has nothing new to say, so let's hit the house across from the cafe.

: I'll be back. I'll bring Sue along too.

: Justin, why are you all by yourself? What happened to Sue?

: Well, um, it's sorta like well. Ah hahaha.

Speaking of the cafe...

: He he, I wonder who'll get famous first, Gantz or me? That's what competition is, right?

: What am I thinking? Can't do this.

Gantz is still waiting by the Seagull, so he's not showing up here. Which seems like an obvious statement, but these things sometimes slip in.

I'm not gonna go count, but I'm pretty sure Goose says more here than he does in the rest of the game combined.

: Hmm, maybe I really did say too much, huh? Sue must be real angry.

: Hey, Justin. You look a little different. Somehow you look sorta cool.

: ...... Huh? What did you just say?

: Justin, I said that you somehow look sorta cool.

: What? Me, cool? Goose, you really are pretty honest.

: But with that smirk on your face, you don't look very cool now.

: Then how 'bout this? Eh he he he....

: Isn't that like when you're getting balled out for doing something?

: How 'bout this!

: He he he! This is me being cool!

: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Now that's a funny face!

: Ugh. You don't have to laugh at it. That's pretty rude of you.

: That's it! That's the one I said was cool!

: Hmm. So this is my cool face. Hmm-mm-mm-mm-mm

: Keeping a straight face is tiring!

: But, I'll try keeping this face for a little longer. Hmm-mm-mm-mm-mm.

: Justin, you really do work hard, huh.

Kozuru, meanwhile, continues his trend of "Hey, I sure was watching that cutscene! Also, I have an inconsistent lisp!"

: I saw you, saw you, Justin an' Sue havin' a fight. Sue just kicked ya right in the shin, right? Serves ya right. Nah ha ha.

After you talk to him in front of the Seagull, Gantz shows up here. And has some more dialog.

: Whatever! Justin! I'll think of the next game for you! Be sure to come here with Sue tomorrow! Understand!

This part of the game really shows how close Sue and Justin have always been. Even their archenemy seems to take it for granted that, no matter what, Justin and Sue are a pair.

Anyway, the girl who's worrying about having to move is still... worrying about having to move.

: We're gonna move to New Parm, so I just wanted to say good-bye.

: Oh yeah, you're leaving tomorrow.

: I bet Sue's gonna miss you.

: Go see her at her house. She's there.

: Justin, you wanna be an adventurer, right? If you happen to be on the New Continent, look me up, OK?

: Oh, of course.

: Hang on! I'll definitely see you!

And now we cross into South Parm to wrap things up. First up is Theo.

: Sorry, Theo. I'm sorta busy right now. Got no time for that at all.

: I see. Oh well. But there's still time. ♪ Get ready before then, OK! We're gonna go, right Justin? I mean to see the something or other king together, right!?

:smith:

Anyway, let's check out House 1.

: My daughter is dreaming all the time too. I wish she'd get married and move out of the nest.

: That's right. All children have to leave the nest sometime, don't they?

: What's wrong, Justin? Why are you getting so serious all of a sudden? It's not like you. Justin, I think you're much more suited to thinking up mischievous jokes than serious thinking.

: Ugh, that's terrible, Ma'am. Even I can be serious sometimes.

: Ah, what a wonderful man! My prince on a white horse! Something wrong, Justin?

: Yeah, there's "something wrong".

: But if you look at me, I'm pretty handsome, aren't I?

: Aaah, I guess my prince on a white horse is just a fantasy. I guess I'll marry a soldier.

: No no, rather than a soldier, how about an adventurer!

: Puffy must be why Sue is so happen even though she lost both parents.

: That's right. Sue doesn't get sad while Puffy's around. Ah hahahaha.

: Puffy is just SOO cute. I want a pet like that.

Couple more NPCs with the same lines, but the Joule Foundation guy outside the train station has something particularly interesting.

: Since that cursed Baal became General, he keeps sticking his nose into Foundation business.

: Hmm, sounds sorta complicated, huh.

: I'll just pretend I didn't hear.

: Mmm. Grrr! It makes me so angry! That Baal was originally no more than a Garlyle regional commander. Now he's the friggin' General. I can't believe it. Grumble, grumble....

"Now he's the friggin' General" could also have made an interesting thread title.

: Ugh, that's terrible.

: But how do you know it wasn't me?

: Tentz came to apologize. He said he stuck that flyer on my back on orders of his older brother. The flyer he stuck on my back said: "I'm on a diet now. Please don't feed me".

: Hee hee hee. That Gantz really writes funny stuff.

: Oops! Um, I really didn't mean that!

: Sue's in a bad mood right now.

: You might be punished for drawing a bad picture.

: Huh!? I'll pass.

: Why don't you try teaching Sue how to dance instead?

Back in the shop, the museum poster has gone back to the "Your urban oasis" one from before we broke the statue.

And now, to wrap up this update...

: I'm so sorry, Justin. Little Sue says she doesn't want to see you. Not only that, Justin, she also said you're a clumsy idiot, have an "outie" and could never be an adventurer. I'm sorry, Justin. Sue made me promise to say this to you. I'll apologize for you later. What should I say?

: See me off at the dock....

: ... No, forget it. It'll just get Sue mad.

: Send Sue a letter when you get to the New Continent.

: OK, I'll do that. When I get back, I bet Sue's gonna kick me in the shin again. Ouch.

: Just when I thought Sue came home, she's locked herself in her room and isn't coming out. She's always so happy but when she gets mad, I can't talk to her. Just like her late mother.

: I didn't want to get her angry, but you know, an adventurer walks alone.

: But I haven't seen her get that mad in quite a while.

Poor Sue.

Next time: We finally wrap up everything in Parm and check out the Steamer.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Surprise! Update wound up being too long and had to be split, so even the plot update is all NPC chatter! :v:

----

Welcome back! Last time, we boarded the Steamer heading across the sea, leaving Sue behind in Parm.

The soothing sound of the waves.

And the seagulls. Can't forget the seagulls.

There's plenty to do up on deck, but it's not important for now. Instead, let's go belowdecks.

Before we go to our quarters, let's read the signs.

: But at twenty he went down with the ship in a huge storm and died. That's why he's young in the picture.

: "Young Platz" was just so cool.

: He thinks he's so great.

: I'm a passenger too!

Let's go see how the fancy rooms are.

Oh well. I'm sure there's someone to mingle with in the lounge.

: What's wrong? You there!

: Well, um, this cute girl was just sitting right over there. A girl with a big ribbon in her hair. The girl with the big ribbon. Wonder what her name is?

... Hmm. Well, whatever. We have more to explore!

: I can understand pets, but why pigs?

: Maybe someone might have brought one on before.

Sounds like a fun place to explore.

I am getting some serious Space Station 13 vibes from the captain's posters.

: A female reporter, gambler, pirate, mama's boy, and a girl with charming freckles and a huge ribbon. And even you, a boy traveling alone. Regardless of the passengers, we'll make it to New Parm fine as long as they don't anger the Sea Spirits.

Huge ribbon and freckles? Oh, no...

: Huh? Why? Why would Puffy be here!?

: I can't believe it... could she...?

Dammit, Sue.

: So it is Sue!

: Oh! Justin!

: Sue! Why'd you have to come!?

: Parm's no fun without you around, Justin!

: I want to go on adventures with you, Justin! And you just can't do anything without me. Right, Justin!?

: Are you Justin? You've really given us trouble. Such a wee little girl. The punishment for stowaways is being thrown overboard in a barrel! This is the divine rule of the sea.

Fun fact: Because Justin's inventory was full after the Leck Mines, but Sue had a free space, she's the one holding the steamer pass right now. Figured that was the best way to keep up the theme of "Key Items don't really matter" that I've been doing for no adequately-explained reason.

: Please forgive her, Sue's just a kid! I'll make sure she never does something like this ever again.

: NO! Breaking the rules of the sea brings the curse of the Spirits! Come! Pick up the barrel! Toss it into the sea!

: Yikes! Wait a SECOND!

: Throwing such a small kid into the sea in a barrel is just too cruel! Please, PLEASE spare her!

: Well, there is one way. The girl told me you want to be an adventurer, yes?

: Yes, that's right! I'm gonna be the greatest adventurer in the world!

: Me too! Me too!

: Hmm. Adventurers are something a kindred to us sailors. The Spirits may not curse us. ... All right! You can become sailors on this ship!

: Huh!?

: If you were passengers you'd be stowaways but if you're sailors then you can't be stowaways.

No points for guessing that the "Why should I trust you" option just leads back to the choice again.

: I accept. We'll become sailors.

: Well, that settles it. From now on, you two are apprentice sailors. Understand!?

: I understand!

: I...

: I'll be a sailor as long as I'm with Justin. ♥

: Good. Take them to the sailor's quarters.

: You two get plenty of rest. Starting tomorrow, you'll work hard.

: (Yaaawn!) I didn't sleep very well. That teeth-grinding and snoring kept me up.

: I'm still sleepy, too....

: The bed was stinky and damp. It made me sick! And...

: Well, let's go.

: Don't forget that!

: You two are in charge of swabbing the deck. You'll get instructions on deck.

Aww jeez. First game and they both rolled Janitor.

: Now I'll give this to you.

: Remember to provide service if a passenger asks you do do so. And if anyone says "AI door", feel free to ignore them Understood? Good. Now go on deck!

: I bet you already know, but newbies always start by swabbing the deck. Ready? I'm gonna have you wax every nook and cranny of the entire deck. When you're ready, come to me.

: I already know, so let's start.

(Polsy link)

So. Minigame. Hold X to build up the power gauge.

The longer the power gauge is full, the higher the speed gauge will go. The higher the speed gauge, the faster Justin will move, and the lower your time will be.

However, if the power gauge ever fills completely, it'll immediately empty, setting your speed back down to 0 again. Simply release X to let the power gauge empty.

Naturally, doing so will tank your time. If you don't mop your whole area before Sue finishes her line, at about 35 seconds, it's an automatic failure.

Do it in under 25 seconds and you'll earn a reward of 25 G. If you're good at it, it's not a terrible way to earn some spare cash.

I... am not good at it.

: Whew. This is pretty hard work. Do we gotta do this every day?

: Cleaning is part of training! Well, enough for today. Go back to your quarters and rest.

That sounds like a good idea.

C'mon, Sue, with your strength score you should be able to bench-press that sailor over there! :colbert:

: Your muscles are just sore, Sue. You'll get used to it!

: I'll do more than my share of work today!

: Thank you, Justin!

Over in the First Class Lounge, one of the passengers has some important info.

: Don't know the details, only that he's an authentic veteran. You in the crew know anything?

: Nothin' at all.

: But I'd like to meet a great adventurer like yesterday.

: I don't know much about the adventurers in the New World. Only about the Adventurers Society.

Anyway, back up on the deck...

I continue to not be good at minigames.

: Are we going to do this all the way to New Parm?

: Ugh! Sue, it's all your fault!

: Don't blame me! It was your fault, Justin, for trying to leave me behind!

On the way back to the quarters, we run into this guy.

: Say, what do they use that huge light for!?

: Don't you know even that? For signals. Sailors and adventurers use lights to signal each other. Our guest will be onboard soon, so we have to signal to send a boat.

: A guest?! In the middle of the ocean!?

: Of course! Don't look surprised. Our guest is the greatest adventurer in New Parm.

: An adventurer!?

: There are a few desert islands in these parts. Our guest has been searching for old treasure there. We're getting ready for the guest starting early in the morning tomorrow, so don't sleep late!

: Cool! The greatest adventurer in New Parm!

: Think he might be a giant man with a shaggy beard and bulging muscles?

: (Mumble, mumble...) Yeah, yeah, he's gotta have about five arms.... (Mumble, mumble....)

: Ugh! She's half-asleep....

: Wonder what I'll learn at the Adventurers Society. How to disarm traps? Tips for fighting monsters...?

: Rats! Can't get to sleep tonight!

: Mmmm mmmm. Just a little more. Lemme just count to ten....

: Don't give me that! Didn't they say not to sleep late 'cause the adventurer is coming!

: Aggh, I was waiting for you.

Upstairs...

What the gently caress is that guy doing?

: That guy, what's he doing?

: That's silly. He looks like a fool.

: Hey there, what are you doing?

: Oh, this? This is the greeting of cool sailors and adventurers. Ya gotta learn it to be full-fledged.

: Ya don't say. I've gotta master it, too.

MASTER USING IT AND YOU CAN HAVE THIS.

: No, no! You scoop your hand up like this!

: Li-like this? Mmm, cool!

: Oh, brother. Now YOU look like a fool.

: YESS! Hey, you're pretty good at it.

And that's where we'll leave off for today. See you next time, folks!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 6, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Man, I love the music for the deck-swabbing mini-game. Despite being named "Minigame", I don't think it's used for any other mini-games. Weird.

I'm always amused by Sue's sleepy "five arms" line.

Speaking of sleepy, Justin has two sleepiness-related portraits? Most characters don't even have one. Seriously, Sue had her "thinking" portrait when she was out cold. It's the little things you notice, I guess.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Man, I love the music for the deck-swabbing mini-game. Despite being named "Minigame", I don't think it's used for any other mini-games. Weird.

It... actually seems to be on the OST, and named "Deck Swabbing". Huh.

I've just been recording as I go, considering how the OST sometimes combines multiple in-game songs onto one track, and naming the file whatever happens to pop into my head first.

The game's writing can be spotty at times, but it's always worth it for Sue's gem there, I agree.

And yeah, the sheer number of portraits Justin gets is... well, it makes sense, being the main character and all. Although next update, we meet someone who has fifteen portraits used in a stretch of gameplay that lasts maybe 20 minutes. :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Couldn't help but think of this:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I went and fixed your portrait of the captain since you accidentaly left part of the sailor behind it and it was driving me crazy:

Great LP, by the way, I sure missed a lot of content when I played it, I didn't even know Gantz's older brother was in the game and even had a portrait!

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Petiso posted:

I went and fixed your portrait of the captain since you accidentaly left part of the sailor behind it and it was driving me crazy:

Great LP, by the way, I sure missed a lot of content when I played it, I didn't even know Gantz's older brother was in the game and even had a portrait!

Eh-whoops. Guess that's what I get for cutting out portraits at three in the morning. :v: Should be all fixed now.

And this game has just a crazy amount of extra dialog. Each and every NPC and examinable item on the Steamer has at least two different lines, depending on when you interact with it, and most have four or five.

And I'm glad you're enjoying it!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Couldn't help but think of this:

Ha ha, I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I love the steamer journey, it could almost be a self-contained game in itself.

And for some reason I always found the swabbing game really difficult when I was a kid. I suck at minigames I guess.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

For the one person who cares (hint, he's writing this post now), the NPC Chatter update for the rest of Parm will be up... soon-ish. It's running a little longer than anticipated.

On the other hand, the second half of the Steamer is up now!

----

Welcome back! We're getting started right in the thick of things this time.

:siren:You really should watch this. (Polsy link):siren:

For those who are unfortunately unable to watch, read on. Otherwise skip down to "cutscene ends", as always.

: This is the treasure you brought back? Incredible!

: You sure are a first-rate adventurer.

: Ha ha! I'm home!

: You all haven't changed a bit.

: Welcome home, Feena! Boy I missed you! How've ya been?

Now, this next part is why this really needs to be heard.

The captain's voice actor was apparently under the impression that he was supposed to be a pirate.

... Sure you can't go back and click on that Youtube link? Okay, your loss...

: Feena, you've outdone yourself again. I'm so happy to see your smiling face.

: Long time, no see, Cap'n! You look well too!

: Feena, I thought I'd never see the Golden Legacy of the legendary pirate Warren with my own two eyes.

Warren? Psh, gimme a call when you find the Lost Relics of Lilly the Skull.

: Aha ha, isn't it great?

: To tell the truth, I had a bit of trouble. It was one trap after another. Whoever set 'em sure had a bad attitude!

: They might catch some bumbling adventurer, but they can't catch me!

: At the very end though, I thought I was done for when I had these giant boulders on my tail.

: But I quickly found a cave in the side and jumped in!

: Whoa, hang on there! Let's not waste a good story. Let's go sit down.

: You can take your time and tell me about your adventure down below. I'll have the men carry your treasure.

: OK, Cap'n. Can you guys take care of this stuff?

: Yeah!

: Sure thing!

: No problem!

: Catch up with you later!

: Um, well I-I'm Justi....

: Wow! A GIRL!? The greatest adventurer in the New World is a girl. That's so cool! And she's pretty, too. ♥ Right, Justin?!

: Hee hee. Thank you.

: Cap'n, will you introduce us?

: Of course, Feena. These are our apprentice sailors. Justin and Sue here.

: Hmmm. My name's Feena. Pleased to meet you!

: Say, Justin! Let's give her the high-five greeting!

: That's right. We just practiced it! I'm Justin! Pleased to meet you!

: OK. For now we... shake... hands! Let's save the high-five for when you're a full-fledged sailor.

For once I'm adding ellipses to the script to show how the dialog actually pauses during the handshake animation.

: Come, let's go, Feena. Don't be slacking off, eh Justin?

: You two, good luck on your ship work.

: Well, shall we go, Cap'n?

: Argh! She treated me like a kid!

: But she's so cool! I'd like to be like her.

: The greatest adventurer in the New World.... She was pretty cute.

And, with a fade to black, the cutscene ends.

Or, at least, I stopped the video there. Still plenty more :words: until we get control again.

: Don't give me that. Better 'n being tossed overboard, no? It's your fault.

: Hey, you two! It's about time! You'll never be a full-fledged sailor if you can't get up on time!

: Good morning, Justin and Sue! Looks like a hot one today.

: Huh!? You remembered our names?

: I'm shocked.

: A first-rate adventurer needs an excellent memory...

: Or I'd like to say so.

: I heard about you from the Cap'n. So I thought I'd talk to you.

: I thought I'd talk to you while swabbing the deck, but you took so long to get here.

: At this rate, you've got a long way to go to be a full-fledged sailor.

: Geez, you're pretty tough.

: But I'm an adventurer! So that's OK with me!

: Hang on there... the Cap'n said you were an apprentice sailor.

Spoken like someone who has never had to wash floors for a living.

: That's just my disguise! I've got a good cover story. You see, I rolled Janitor but volunteered for a Telescience trip...

: You know, Sue just....

: No, I'll tell her! The problem was that Justin here was trying to ditch me!

: D-ditch you?

: Now listen, Feena. Justin here is so terrible....

A quick fade out, and back in.

: Hey, I'm a great adventurer, right?

: Right?! You see how it was all Justin's fault, right?

: Ah hahahahahah! I can see that you two are really good friends! Hahaha! You two are just too funny. I haven't laughed like this in ages!

: Say, Feena. Tell us something about you! No fair just talking about us.

: Hmm. You're right.

: So what would you like to know?

: Tell us about your adventures.

: Hmm, it's hard to say in just a few words.

: Well, we've got plenty of time before we get to New Parm, so I'll tell you a little each day!

: That means we'll be swabbing the decks for a while, too.

: Ugh! Apprentice sailors have it rough.

: Ah hahah! You'll be OK. I'll help, too!

: I'll be fun if we all do it!

: Yeah! Thank you, Feena!

: How do I start exploring the New World?

: So Justin, you want to be the greatest adventurer in the world?

: We're going to the Adventurers Society in New Parm.

: Feena, are you a member, too?

: Um... well... of course I'm a member.

: Great! I'll become a member, too! I'll be an even better adventurer!

: I guess so....

: I'll go with you on your adventure. That sounds like fun!

: Feena, do you live in New Parm?

: Where do I live? I do live near New Parm. I live alone. It's a carefree life.

: Alone? You're tough, Feena! Don't you get lonely?

: Both my parents died long ago. I used to live with my big sister, but not anymore.

: Wow. Living alone in the New World. Feena, that's so COOL.

Upon finishing up the last of the three questions, the screen darkens, and the music changes to howling wind.

And yes, I checked. It waits for you to ask all of them before continuing on with the plot. In case, y'know, you couldn't tell by now that Feena's an important character.

: I don't like that wind.

: And suddenly the seagulls...!

: I'm going to see the Cap'n. Justin and Sue, you ought to return to your quarters.

And with that, Feena dashes off towards the bow. Past the bridge.

: She was laughing so happily and suddenly she's so serious. What's wrong?

: Say, look Justin! Suddenly there are no seagulls at all!

: You're right.

: I think something interesting is gonna happen.

: Let's go check it out, Sue!

For the record, this is, like, the fourth time every NPC on this map has had something new to say. And it's not the last, either. We'll be doing NPC Chatter updates for the Steamer until we're on Disc 2.

: This is trouble. I'll assemble the men.

: But not only that, I have a bad premonition.

: Nothing to worry about, Justin and Sue. Go back to your quarters and rest.

: Justin, let's go back to our quarters. Looks like some big trouble.

: Cap'n, we have to change course by as much as we can. Quickly, assemble the men!

: But Feena... that bad premonition of yours -- could it be the legendary Ghost ship...?

: Not that ship again. Cut that out. That's just a superstition!

: A Ghost Ship!? Tell me about it, too!

: Justin, didn't you hear? I told you to go rest in your quarters.

: No fair. Can't we stay just a little?

: This is not a child's game of "adventurer" Be good and do as I say.

: Captain, tell the men to make sure they act calm. The passengers will panic.

: I can't stand it! If this is really the Ghost Ship, we're doomed!

: Justin, let's go back to our quarters.

: We can't go now! I can smell a great adventure. Let's go on deck and see!

That fog rolled in quickly.

And we get a small FMV.

(Polsy link)

:siren::siren: LISTEN TO THIS.

: Incredible! A real Ghost Ship! Incredible!

: Wowwww. It really has the mood down.

: I've decided! My first great adventure will be on that Ghost Ship!

: Hey, that's Feena's voice! Over there, Justin!

"That everyone's dialog has changed yet again! And there's still a few NPCs who have another dialog condition!"

: Unless we do something about that mystery ship, we won't make it to Elencia alive!

: At this rate, it involves not only the sailors but the passengers, too! Show them a sailor's grit and guts!

: C'mon, Cap'n! Instruct your men!

: On, no. We're done for! A Ghost Ship has really appeared! We're all going to die now!

: That's just a shipwreck! The Ghost Ship is just a superstition. Anyway, we have to fix the ship!

: You see, ever since that ship appeared, our ship can't move, even with the engine at full speed.

: Argh! Pull yourself together! We've got to work together or we'll all drown!

: But Feena... what can we do? We're up against a Ghost Ship.

: We're just sailors, right? If the ship doesn't move, we can't do anything.

: Don't act so hopeless! Aren't you men of the sea!? I'll solve the mystery of that ship!

: So who will go with me to board that ship? Isn't there even one brave man?

: Justin...?

: Now look you guys! Even these little kids are showing some bravery! Is there no brave man among you who will go with me?

: I told you! I'll go with you on that ship! I'll bust up any ghost!

: Ghosts...?! You don't get it.

: Listen, Justin. If you believe in ghosts, you'll never become an adventurer.

: Justin and Sue, you just wait on this ship.

Once again, you have to pick all of the choices to proceed. Even the "no fair" one.

: If I don't go, who'll go!? I finally get to go on something like an adventure!

Pissing off the military by discovering ancient secrets? Assassinating the king of the orcs and escaping from a collapsing mine? Neither of those were anything like adventures?

: I'm an adventurer too!

: You know the situation, don't you? There's no proof that you'll be any help at all, Justin!

: That ship won't let me bring along someone who'll get in the way. My intuition tells me so!

: But I'm worried about YOU, Feena. How can I let a girl go alone on that dangerous ship?

: ... A GIRL!?

: How rude! I'm a pro adventurer! I'm not so clueless that an amateur like you needs to worry about ME!

: It finally became a real adventure! No fair that you get to do all the fun things alone!

: Justin, you're thinking too simply! Adventure isn't child's play. You could even lose your life.

: Think like that and a real adventure would be way too dangerous. You don't have enough experience!

No matter which one you pick last, it leads right to here.

: Argh! I can't stand it. I'll do it myself, then.

: Let's go, Sue!

: Huh!? But....

: Oh.... What do I do...?

: Ready to cross to the Ghost Ship, just as you said, Feena.

: No time to be fooling around!

: OK, OK, Justin, let's go together!

: But if you get in the way even a little, promise to come back right away, OK?

: All right! Of course! Just leave it to me!

: C'mon, let's stop fooling around and go! Justin, Sue!

Cutting out another trip around the ship to get the new dialog now that Feena's in the group...

: Are you chickening out, Justin!? Ghosts are just fantastic stories!

: Don't be ridiculous. I'm not afraid of a ship like this!

: But Justin, how do we get down?

: How do we get down?

: We get down like this!

And he just jumps right off.

: Oh, that Justin...!

: Justin, wait!

: Don't get too excited, Justin! Who knows what will happen.

Whew. See you next time, folks!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 10, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

So, with a new dungeon comes a new vote.

Sword, Mace, or Axe for Justin, Mace or Bow for Sue, and Knife or Whip for Feena.

For the record, here are everyone's stats.

(Includes a before-and-after to show the VIT seed on Justin! :v:)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Axes for Justin, Maces for Sue, and Whips for Feena

Justin wants to kill things as hard as the 8-year old girl does, Sue wants to be able to live through a stiff breeze, and Feena wants that second whip skill because it kills things but good.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Sword, Mace, Knife.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Let's give Justin back his swords, give Sue the maces, and Feena can keep her whips for now.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Double-size NPC Chatter update, but if I split it into two we'd finish the Steamer before wrapping up Parm. If you're looking for the interesting bits, skip straight to the last three screenshots.

----

We'll be starting up in Justin's room today to catch something that has been available since the beginning.

: Yep, I really...

: Did think about what I did.

: "Dear Diary, Mom really chewed me out for what I did to the old guy. Why? I did think about what I did."

: Umm.... Why did she chew me out this time? I threw only one cat a time.

The Icarian statue, however...

Yeah. Everything else keeps the same text, but the statue has something new about it.

: When I come back next, I'll be famous too!

: I'll make discoveries that'll surprise 'em all!

Back downstairs, we can tell Lilly that we're not quite ready for dinner yet. Nothing new between that and next morning, so let's skip ahead until after Justin's big cutscene.

The lamp is still lit on the table, but the sky outside is starting to brighten, and Justin's picture is still up on the wall. All for a room that would be very easy to lock you out of.

: I'm sure that Mom will understand.

: I'm just reserving this space now, but some day, I will....

Okay, I lied. This line is visible before dinner.

: I've got to brace myself and go to it. Right!

... But this follow-up isn't.

Anyway, with the Seagull done, let's head outside. Where of course everyone has something entirely new to say.

: Sure. It's a job. What about you? Why are you up so early?

: Can you keep a secret? I haven't told Mom yet, but

: I'm going to the New Continent!

: When I get there, I'll write letters to Mom and Sue. Bertie, you deliver 'em, OK?

: So you're finally going to the New Continent. I'll miss you. Don't worry! I'll make sure Lilly and Sue get the letters. You got nothing to worry about! Make sure you write as soon as you get there. Write to me, too!

The one good thing is that most of the houses are locked up for the night, cutting the number of NPCs to chat with down considerably.

Or rather, it should do that, but... well, you'll see.

One building that is still open is the store, in case you absolutely need to stock up on Herbs or something.

Soldier guy who ate at the Seagull is still outside the train station. His dialog is mostly the same.

: You can say that again.

: But I won't get to for a while.

Top Hat Guy, though, has an entirely new conversation.

: Please don't make it rain. Today I'm gonna be basking in the sun all day.

: It's gotta be sunny today! After all, it's the historic day of departure of the adventurer Justin!

: So you're following in your Dad's footsteps and adventuring at last. Be a good adventurer, Justin!

: Thank you, sir! I'm gonna be the greatest adventurer ever!

: By the time you're back, Parm will have grown further. Show me how you've grown too.

Over by the museum, we see a familiar face.

: I'd like to build a "Justin Museum" too.

Well, I guess we should bite the bullet and apologize...

: Good morning, Justin! Up early today, are you? Practicing being an adventurer?

: I have to apologize to you, sir. It was I who broke the Icarian Statue.

: I'm sorry!

: So it was you, Justin! Hmm....

: Since you're so honest, I forgive you! But where are you off to so early?

: Hee hee. I'm taking today's Steamer to New Parm. By myself....

: My, my, how sudden.... I see. An ordinary adult would try to stop you I suppose.

Pretty sure all of the ordinary adults we've spoken to about it have encouraged us, actually. :colbert:

: But I too had a falling out with my parents when I decided on an academic career.

: Mr. Curator! You got scolded by your parents too?

: HaHAHA! Everyone gets scolded by their parents once in a while.

: Is that right? New Parm, eh? I have two things to say to you. Stick with the things you like. And... write letters to your Mom.

: Of course I will!

: I may not be able to write many letters during the adventure, though.

: I believe in your future. Just be sure to take care of your health.

: Thank you, Mr. Curator!

Once again, even the goddamn pile of junk out in front of the museum has a new quote to go with it.

I wonder if they could have fit this game on one disc if they had gotten rid of all of this text?

Anyway, that's all for South Parm, so let's cross the bridge.

: Really? How so?

: Hee, hehehe....

: That Gantz of mine ought to take after you and wake up early once. That boy ain't right is hopeless. I worry already about whether he'll be able to live on his own like his big brother. You're much better about that. Lilly must be relieved!

If you talk to her again, she'll summarize the conversation before continuing on.

: Justin, you're very independent. You can take care of yourself. Lilly must be relieved! My Gantz is nothing like that. Wish he'd take after you a little!

: Hahaha. Take after me? My Mom scolds me all the time.

: Scolding 'em is one way of loving 'em! I think I scold 'em too much, though! Hah hah hah! Now go on back home for breakfast. Lilly must be getting busy with preparations, right? I'll make lots of snacks today, so come on over later. Gantz will be happy to see you!

: Of all people, I didn't want this guy to see me.

: Hey, Justin. You up so early can only mean you're up to some kind of mischief.

: No, no. Not like that at all.

: Actually, I'm taking the Steamer on an adventure to the New World.

: What? To the New World? You really are an adventurer...? I didn't realize, Justin. Hmm. I guess I've said some pretty terrible things to you. Sorry, Justin.

: Naw, it doesn't bother me a bit. I know I've caused you trouble too. Let's call it even!

: Off to the New World, eh? It's not easy to make dreams come true. Stick with it and don't give up.

Not a new quote, but this conversation is missing the "I guess that's what competition is" bit from the night before.

This, however, is new. Also: it's awkward to be drinking coffee while typing these posts.

Anyway, just a few more NPCs to go before the port.

: I'm glad for you! Actually, I'm going too! We might be on the same ship.

: Ho ho ho. I don't think so, boy. I don't think so, boy. Elite corps soldiers don't take ships. So we can't be together. Elite corps coldiers.... I like the sound of that! Sends a shiver down my spine. Body's aching all the time....

This guy doesn't watch the morning shift or the night shift. He watches the always shift.

: Isn't it tough getting up so early?

: It's a job, so it can't be helped! Our Young Men's Club has to protect the town of Parm!

Well, that wasn't so bad. Next up is the Port!

... Oh. That's where all the NPCs went. All those green arrows.

: Actually, I'm... getting on that ship and starting an adventure in the New World.

: Wow, REALLY!? Justin, I always thought you'd do that sometime. It's cool you're really doing it.

: But I didn't tell Mom about it. I couldn't bring myself to tell her.

: Hmm, so that's it. You know, I thnk she'll understand. Take care, Justin!

: No, sir. I wanted to get a good look at Parm before boarding the Steamer.

: What? Boarding the Steamer!? Planning on going to the New World!? By yourself? Incredible! Well, you gotta take chances when you're young. So good luck! Be sure to come back in one piece!

: Hee hee hee. Mr. Ren, you be sure to stay alive until I get back! I'll bring back a heap of stories.

And of course each and every one of those people has a few things to say.

Starting with the guard, telling him that we're not quite ready yet.

And, if we talk to him again after he opens the gate...

: Ask the crewman standing by the ship about boarding. Have a good trip, boy.

: Right! Thanks, sir! You take care, too!

: Right, it's so cool to be able to go to New Parm! I'm gonna be on the same ship!

: Yaaay! I'll be with you. Say, do you know when we get to New Parm?

: Hmm, well, um...

: Actually, I don't know either.

: Oh, you don't know either. I know! If I take lots of naps, I'll get to see Dad that much sooner.

: Ah haha. I'm not sure if naps will let you see him sooner, though.

: Awww. I want to play ball with Dad so bad.

: My husband works in New Parm. He was finally able to bring his family along. I'm so glad that all three of us can live together as a family. Who are you with, boy?

: I'm alone. And I'm not a boy! I'm an adventurer going to the New World!

: Wow. An adventurer you say. You're quite a boy to be boarding the Steamer alone.

: I TOLD YOU! I'm NOT a boy!

Oh dear! Selling coffee to minors? Shame on you!

: That's right, I haven't had breakfast.

: But I can hold out a little longer. I won't buy breakfast yet.

: How about a sandwich? Makes a nice breakfast.

: Hmm, I AM getting hungry.

: Not until I'm aboard ship. I've got to HOLD ON!

: How about a sandwich? Good for people who skipped breakfast and is trying to HOLD ON.

: Mmmmm, what'll I do?

: Nope. I still have to HOLD ON. I'm an ADVENTURER after all.

: How about a sandwich? Good for an ADVENTURER who skipped breakfast and is trying to HOLD ON.

: Uh Miss... are you TRYING to do that?

This line wasn't so bad before mid-November, 2011. :sigh:

Although the second half of his quote is more applicable now than it was then.

: I want to hear all about it! I'm going to New Parm to become an adventurer!

: I'm so glad that you'd want to hear the stories of an old man like me. When I was still a greenhorn, I went on a trip to get advice from a famous adventurer. But one day when I was attacked by bandits and thought I was done for, one man came to save me. He was the famous adventurer Java. I was so stunned that I couldn't even thank him before he left.

Clearly bandits can't hold their coffee. :colbert:

: Wow! Java really WAS a great man.

: You can't judge a book by its cover.

: Haven't seen Java since. I'd like to thank him.

: Wow!

: But isn't that just slacking off?

: Ya-ha. I'm Lightning Rick. I even eat my food quick as lightning!

: Oh, so you're the guy who comes to our restaurant, eats his food and is gone in a flash.

: Ya-ha. I'm Lightning Rick. Eat my food quick, take a bath quick. I'm outta there in three seconds flat!

: Eew. You sure you're washing your body enough?

: Ya-ha. I'm Lightning Rick. Quick to use my money, too. It's all gone the day I get it! What'll I do? I still got twenty days before payday.

: Eleven, twelve, thirteen... and here is the cargo. Huh? You have some business here?

: Say, sir. What have you been counting?

: I'm checking to see if all the cargo is here. We can't have even one mistake.

: Wow. The Steamer carries this much cargo. COOL!

: Whadda ya mean, boy? We don't have so much cargo today. Sometimes we carry three times this much.

: Hee hee. That's right!

: I see. You're following in your Dad's footsteps to be an adventurer. Lilly must be proud, right?

: Actually... I left without telling Mom.

: Is that so? You know, I think Lilly will understand and forgive you.

: Maybe, but not before three tray chops.

: That Lilly is sure quick with her hand when she gets mad. But that's the flip side of love.

: It sounds like you're doing something impressive.

: But aren't you just slacking off?

: Hee hee. They might say so on land. But just don't tell anyone that you found me here!

: I saw another sailor slacking off in the shade of a box over there. He was just as pompous as you.

: Mmmm! That must be Lightning Rock. Slacking off in style. Now I've gotta go AWOL even more.

: Now THAT is what's such a nuisance.

: I'm staking my name AWOL Joe on beating Lightning Rick at slacking off.

: If there are so many people slacking off, I see why it's taking so long to sail.

: Excuse me, sir.

: What is it, boy? Want me to cut yer pay too?

: Um, well, I don't exactly work here.

: Just wanna know what's holding us up.

: Oh, is that all. Ya see, the Garlyle boys've been keeping us busy with extra work.

: What are the Garlyle Forces doing on the New Continent?

: No idea. ... Maybe 'cus there're a lot of pretty women in the New World?

: I've never heard of such an irresponsible army.

: C'mon, everyone work harder! If we don't sail on time, I'll cut your pay and rations!

: Huh that guy? He IS looking very serious. Wonder what's wrong?

: To me he looks like he's thinking of jumping in. We gotta go stop him! No doubt about it! He's a jumper! Somebody stop him!

: Ugh... It's hopeless. I'm so tired....

: Yow! Don't kill yourself!

: Yikes! Phew. Don't surprise me like that. You almost made me fall! I was just waiting for interesting bottles drifting from the New World!

: Interesting bottles?

: Sure. I found an interesting little bottle that drifted here. I sold it for a good price. I was waiting to see if another one would come drifting by. Ugh. Nothing today. Can't find 'em every day. I'm tired. Think I'll go home and sleep.

: Aw! I was so worried about him, but he was just looking for drifting bottles? I'll kick the guy into the ocean!

: Yeow! Don't do that, sir!

: Whoops, sorry.

: Hey, hey out of the WAY! Can't you hear?

: SORREE! It wasn't on purpose.

: Gimme a break. I can't get my work done.

: I wasn't trying to get in your way.

Each of those are separate conversations, by the way. He doesn't keep berating you for speaking to him once. :v:

: Aw shucks, I'm sorta embarrassed when people say that.

: New World dreams, hopes and new finds! The Adventurers Society is looking for a few first-rate kindred spirits!

At least this guy has something interesting to say.

: Sir, what are you mumbling about?

: What? I was just praying to the Sea Spirits so that we will arrive safely at New Parm. Praying to the Sea Spirits like this before sailing is a custom among sailors.

: Wow. I didn't know.

: Well, pray that I'm safe on my adventure too!

: Sure, I'll do that. I'm sure the Sea Spirits will protect you as long as they like you, though.

: This is MY first trip as an adventurer. I'm looking forward to it!

: I know what you mean! I was so excited last night I couldn't sleep. I'm so sleepy.

: Ah hahaha. Same here.

: But really I'm so nervous. I hope I don't mess up.

: Don't worry about failure! Hee hee. Let's both go for it!

: But Dad is crying like a baby. But I'll be back in two years and these ships are safe now. The age of the pirates is over. Blackbeard and Lilly the Skull-- they lived so long ago!

: Yikes!

: Wow, Mom was really famous wasn't she.

: The food over there is pretty spicy. I want to learn how to make as many delicious spicy dishes as I can!

: I came to see off my son. He's going to the New World to become a chef. But when I think of saying good-bye... ohh... I can't... stop crying. Please, please come back alive. Don't get caught by pirates.

: I guess Mom must be worrying about me, too. I've gotta come back in one piece, too!

: Son, please come back alive. Don't get caught by pirates. Don't get stranded on a desert isle.

: Sir, it'll be OK! I know your son will come back!

: Miss, just why exactly are you going to New Parm?

: Despite my looks, I'm a merchant. I'm going to New Parm to check out the popular clothes. When I got started in business, it was tough being a woman. Everyone looked at me funny.

: Wow. Must have been hard.

: I'll be rooting for you.

: I know, everyone calls ME a child. But I'm gonna be a great adventurer.

: Oh my, you have it rough, too. I guess they say you should endure the rough times when you're young. We are both young!

: That's right! Let's both do our best, OK, Miss?

: Whoo. There ARE people like that.

: I want to get on the ship so bad that it hurts.

: I get seasick... UURRP RETCH... just thinking about it.

: Wow! That's quite a talent! I don't envy you, though.

: I don't get seasick at all. My Dad was an adventurer. My Mom was a pirate!

: Dad was the captain of a freighter. Mom was a fisherman, and I'm a sailor! But I still....

: Yow! You're a sailor?

: Hahaha! I've never met a sailor who gets seasick!

: Don't laugh. I feel like crying.

: My boyfriend's coming home. Knowing him, when he sees me he's sure to give me a big hug. ♥

: Um, at the station didn't you say he was coming by train?

: Are you waiting for a different guy?

: Of course not! I'm a one-man woman! He was coming by ship but I waited for him half a year at the station. You're terrible for teasing me!

: Yikes! Sorry, I didn't know!

: But it took six months to realize you were waiting at the wrong place?

: Then a hole in the ocean floor makes a whirlpool that sucks you down. Heaven help me! Heave, ho. I think work on land suits me better.

: You boy, out of the way! Don't stand there, it's dangerous.

: Oh, sorry, sorry.

: Sir, you smell of salt air. A real "man of the sea".

: Wah hah hah. Me a man of the sea? Thanks, boy. To me, that's the greatest compliment. I got into this line of work dreaming of being a man of the sea. Actually, I couldn't swim a stroke.

: Huh, couldn't swim!? How could you become a man of the sea like that?

: Wah hah hah. Think so, huh? But ya know, I didn't give up, so now I'm a man of the sea. Oops. Gotta get working. Boy, don't forget your dreams. A man needs a big dream.

Said husband is hiding behind the sailor in this shot.

: It's so early, my kid's still asleep.

: It is early. Mom's probably not even getting ready to open yet.

: It's gonna be sad not being able to see my husband for a long time. But he looks so handsome in his sailor suit. ♥ I keep falling in love again. ♥

: That's pretty passionate for just coming to see him off.

: When I saw you in your sailor suit, it was love at first sight. You're just so handsome, dear. ♥

: Ah ha ha. I can't watch anymore!

Talking to the husband...

: You're the adventure story guy.

: Your being here means.... Could you be a sailor on the Steamer?

: Exactly, Justin. See you on the ship.

: So your story of the shark happened on a Steamer voyage! COOL!

: No, my adventure stories are from before I signed onto the Steamer. The Steamer's route is quite safe. Still, I do pray to the Spirits at sea to be sure I have a safe voyage. Justin, you ought to pray, too.

: Whoo, (urp)! Boy, (urp) you're in the way. I gotta get (urp) on the Steamer.

: Ugh, sir, you look sorta green. Are you all right?

: Don't be (urp) ridiculous. Sailors might get (urp) seasick, but we don't get (urp) sick.

: Sir, are you on the Steamer's crew? That's not very reassuring.

: Don't be silly (urp)! Don't make fun of men of the sea. I'm (urp) the navigator!

: YOU, the navigator!?

: Are we really going to make it to New Parm?

Eight more people, and then we can finally say goodbye to Parm.

: Yes, yes! That boy there, you get in line, too! Please, a double-file line!

: I'll line up, but stop calling me "boy".

: Yes, yes! But line up straight!

: Muphummm. I guess we're off to the New World.

: Sir, you have a violent snort there.

: Well of course. The New World is unknown land to me. Just thinking about working there.... I certainly have my fears. BUT! I have always succeeded so far. Even in unknown lands, I will succeed if I put my all into it. That gives me a violent snort.

: I think I can understand. MUPHUMMM!

: Muphummm. Here I go! Wait for ME, New World!

: Roger, I shall take my leave days off and go on a tour of New Parm! To be off duty and spread my wings!

: Wow. Soldiers go on tours, too.

: Hmm. Young sir, h-how did you know I was a soldier?

: The way you talk gave you away!

: Hmm. I guess it's no use. I'll just imitate a civilian. Ehem... hey, hey Miss... talk to me, roger?

: No civilian sounds like that!

: Just relax and talk like normal.

: Argh, I was just going on vacation and now I have to concentrate on relaxing!

: I think we still have a little misunderstanding.

: Oh, it's you, Justin. You going to the New World, too?

: Yup, that's right. Sir, is that where you're off to, as well?

: That's right... but how's everyone at work gonna get along without a hard-worker like me? I always showed up at work at lunchtime and went home at afternoon snack time.

: Wait a second. You call that hard-working?

: If such regularity isn't hard-working, what is? I even stayed home every rainy day. Oh well. Everyone at work always looked so unhappy. This will be a nice change.

: Sir.... They must have looked unhappy because of you.

: Should I go or should I stay? Should I go or should I stay? Hmm, what'll I do?

: Sir, what are you worrying about?

: It's so unseemly for a man to worry.

: Hmm, I know. I really want to go to the New World but I really am quite a worrier. Even just going around the corner, I worry if I turned off the lights or forgot to lock the door. I just worry myself sick. If I go all the way to the New World it'll be even worse.

: No point in worrying now. You can't go back to town.

: I could dive into the ocean and come back! But that'll be COLD. What'll I do?

: Oh, no. He's worrying again.

: Oh no, what shall I do!? I must have forgotten my inner tube.

: Oh, your inner tube. Guess you're going to New Parm on vacation.

: Oh my dear, of course not! Don't you need one if the ship sinks? Oh no, what shall I do!? I must have brought last year's bathing suit! With this bathing suit, I'd be so embarrassed and out of style when the ship sinks.

: Um... when the ship sinks, I don't think that's what you should be worrying about.

: A noblewoman must be prepared to show class no matter what happens.

: I wonder?

: I'm glad I'm an adventurer. I don't worry about swimsuit fashions.

: Whoo. ♪ You must be captivated by my wife's charms.

: Huh? Not exactly....

: That can't be! I was the one who coordinated my wife's clothes. I must be too far ahead of the times. I should have picked her clothes to better accentuate the beauty of her charming body lines. Aaargh. Neh he he. ♥ Actually, I'm hoping that the Steamer sinks. Know why? Because I want to see my beautiful wife in her swimsuit. ♥

: I don't think that's the point!

: I want to see my wife's swimsuit. ♪ Maybe the Steamer will sink. ♥ Oh boy, I'm looking forward to it. ♪

: Both of you say such unlucky things. The only thing that's going to sink is my heart.

There. With that, we're finally finished with Parm.

... Except no, it's not that easy. There's a dinner conversation we missed, way back during the Sult Ruins.

Back to here, where the Spirit Stone opens up the statue leading to Liete's room. After that, you leave.

Walk right past three different save points, go back to town, and eat a meal.

To get this.

Yep. And that's finally it for Parm. See you next time on the Steamer, finally!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 10, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Edward_Tohr posted:

For the one person who cares (hint, he's writing this post now), the NPC Chatter update for the rest of Parm will be up... soon-ish. It's running a little longer than anticipated.

It's me, I am the other guy anxiously waiting for the NPC chat updates. (Seriously, they are fun to read.)

As for the vote: Sword, Mace, and Whip.

E: ^^^^^ welp.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Current results:

Justin has three votes for sword, one for axe.

Feena has three votes for whip, one for knife.

And Sue is at four votes to start using maces.

I don't think there are going to be any major upsets here, but I suppose it's polite to give a warning before abruptly ending the poll. So, uh, any last-minute votes should be thrown in soon.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welcome back! Hopefully that last super-long update didn't scare you off, because there's once again a lot of dialog to cover here.

Also, I've cropped the NPC portraits down to the same size as the normal face ones. Hopefully that makes it a bit easier to read.

: Huh!? Passengers! Excuse me. Can I help you? The cabins are just down the stairs. There are two classes of cabins. Your room seems to be a second-class cabin.

: I always get excited at the start of a voyage. What kind of trip will it be?

: I'm looking forward to this voyage.

: But this isn't your first voyage. Why are you so excited?

: Hee hee. No two voyages are ever the same. We might have children like you as passengers. My fondest memory of a voyage was when we saw a white whale. It was as big as this ship.

: Hope we see one on this voyage.

: No, I hope we see something even better!

: My name is Justin.

: By what are the Sea Spirits? And what are you praying for?

: The Sea Spirits are the gods that protect us sailors. Naturally we pray for a safe voyage.

: Hee hee. All right.

: The breeze does feel nice up here on deck.

: Whatcha doin'?

: You keep looking far off. Like you're spacing out.

: Hahaha. You wouldn't know, boy. I'm on lookout duty to make sure the ship is safe!

: Huh! Something wrong with the ship?

: Maybe the start of a great adventure?

: Oh, no, no. Nothing like that. Don't worry. It's just the crane. Nothing wrong with the ship. Rats! Just listen! We even had it repaired by its builder, the inventor of Parm. But he messed it up somehow! He must have damaged my beloved crane "Elizabeth"! And now I can't get "Elizabeth" to recreate her original beautiful smooth movements.

: The inventor must be that guy.

: But if HE couldn't fix it, I guess it can't be fixed.

: (Yawn) I'm spending all my time fixing her so I'm not getting enough sleep! Don't worry, "Elizabeth". I promise to recreate your beautiful smooth movements!

: I like the feel of the breeze blowing across the deck!

: You're a strange one. Most don't like getting their clothes soiled by the sea breeze! I like you, boy. Hang around till we get to New Parm.

: Hmm, COOL. There'd be trouble if this stops.

You can even examine the paddlewheel. Several times. With new text depending on where you are in the plot.

I am dead serious. Every single object that creates a text box has at least two different sets of text based on plot progression. At least two. Most have four or five. This includes the paddlewheel here, the signs downstairs, even the photos and knickknacks on the bridge.

Speaking of...

Guess how many different things there are to examine here. Go ahead, write it down.

Did you guess eight? Because there's eight.

And that's assuming I didn't miss anything. Let's start with the Captain.

: Ah, welcome. I am the captain of this ship. Do you have some business here?

: Hee hee. No business exactly... I'm Justin. Cool ship you got here!

: Ha ha ha! Thank you.

: Could this be the Captain?! A picture of him when he was young.

: He was pretty handsome!

: Hee hee... I have no idea.

: Hmm. It must be quite a ways to New Parm.

: Hmm...? What's this?

: Cssrrhhe sssuupiii (mumble, mumble) Eheh, Captain, all is A-OK... Zzzz... zzzz...

: Yikes. The lookout has fallen asleep. Hey, you! WAKE UP!

: Mmmph, Yes Sir! Captain! All is A-OK!

: Aye-aye Captain, sir. Mr. Justin, right?

: All RIGHT! I'm gonna have a tasty dinner tonight!

: Hee hee hee. I never imagined it'd work so well!

: Adventures awaiting me.... Aw, I can't wait to get to New Parm!

Yep. Boring, which is why I skipped it in the normal update. Some of the things in the first-class section are more interesting, though.

: Hmm, what's this?

: Hmm, is the food on this ship good enough to win first place?

: Aw, I wish I had enough money.

Hoo, boy.

: Oh, my feet are so wobbly. An earthquake, a HUGE earthquake! Everybody, RUN!

: This guy's so jittery - too much coffee?

: Are you all right, Sir? Your feet are so jittery.

: What are you saying? Of course my feet are jittery. I'm dancing the Hi-De-Ho jitterbug. Hi-De-Hi-De Hi-De-Ho! Hi-De-Hi-De Hi-De-Ho! Why don't you dance with me?

: Uh, I think I'll pass.

You get this one by investigating the bar. Yep, in a room full of people, there's still an inanimate object that you can interact with.

: Tee hee! I've always wanted to say that!

: I used to do that when our place was busy. Mom used to chew me out bad. Hahaha!

: Guess it's cooler to snap my fingers too? Here goes. Hmm, sorta hard to do.

: New Parm has an organization called the Adventurers Society that all the first-rate adventurers join. The president of the organization, he is like, REALLY cool, they say. ♥ They say he's really capable and smart and always comes back alive from any peril. It seems all the girls of New Parm have their eyes on the president of the society.

: Oh yeah, Mom's letter was addressed to him.

: Wow, Mom knows a great man.

: But lately, I've grown tired of such tastes. Somehow I feel empty. When I heard that I might find some delicacies I have yet to sample, I decided to head to the New World.

: Off to the New World for food, huh?

: Sir, you really must be a gourmand.

: I heard that in the New World they have a sea urchin called the chestnut sea urchin. It is said to taste exactly like a chestnut. Very expensive. I'd like to try it just once.

: If it tastes just like a chestnut why don't you just eat chestnuts? Chestnuts are cheaper, too.

: And this chestnut sea urchin lives not in the ocean but in trees. Doesn't it sound so very unusual?!

: Wow! A sea urchin that lives in trees and tastes like a chestnut.

: Isn't that an ordinary chestnut?

Look at this. Four NPCs with the same sprite on one screen.

: I am a wandering gambler. I have never lost, so I am off to the New World to seek a worthy opponent.

: Wow. Sorta like me.

: I too am off to the New World in search of adventure!

: My, my... you are wise for your years. In the daily grind of everyday living, thrills alone are the spice of life. A day without a thrill is like bathing in lukewarm water. It's worthless.

We'll start with the dark-haired woman on the far left.

: Awww. Boring, boring, boring. Parm was boring too, but this voyage is boring me to death. On ship I thought I'd meet a handsome man with a nice smile but with just a hint of mystery. Aww, where is that handsome man with a nice smile but with just a hint of mystery!?

Thrilling. Next!

: My, my, where are your parents?

: Not here. I'm alone!

: I'm on an adventure to the New World!

: Oh, I'm going on assignment. I'm a newspaper reporter covering the New World for a special edition. If you hear anything interesting, tell me. A newspaper reporter can't let any story get away.

: The New Continent, Elencia.... End of the World, countless ruins and mysteries in an expanse of nature. YEAH! My photographer's soul sheds tears of joy. I'm gonna photograph it!

Okay, so now we've got Peter Parker and Lois Lane. Marginally more interesting.

: We're on an ocean cruise!

: I-I look sad? Waah! So you think I'm ugly? I'm ugly, ugly, ugly. Waaah!

A little far from the bar to be this tired and emotional, don't you think?

: Hey, hang on. What exactly is wrong?

: I have too many freckles so he thought I was ugly. That's why he dumped me. That's it! That's gotta be it!

: Don't go running around like that. You're bothering people. This ship is too small for kids.

: Ah haha. I can't sit still thinking of the adventures I'll have when we get to the New World.

Whew. And with that, we've finished the first-class lounge. For now.

: Huh? Are you lost? The ship is so big it's hard to get used to it. The cabins are down the stairs. The deck and lounge are around the corner. Boy, where's your mommy's room? If you don't know I'll take you there.

: I'm not a boy! I'm traveling alone.

: Oh, is that right? Sorry, sorry. You're traveling alone at YOUR age? Terrific. This ship rides pretty well, right? Do you like it?

: Of course I do! I've never been on a ship this big. I'm just dying to look around.

: Boy, is the Steamer fun? If you have any trouble just come right to me.

: I have had no trouble at all. Nothing but fun.

: It's pretty exciting. I wonder what kind of town New Parm is.

: The New World is a land of adventure awaiting us. New Parm is its entrance. I'm sure it'll be a fun town!

: A land of adventure awaiting us....

: Sir, what are you worried about?

: If you want, I'll give you some advice.

: Actually, my daughter is bugging me about gifts. What should I get her? Food is inexpensive but it might spoil on the ship home. What is New Parm famous for?

: I know, New Parm is famous for adventure!

: But that's not a gift.

: Ma-mama?

: Excuse me, but I'm traveling alone. I'm an adventurer, too!

: Huh!? Don't be ridiculous!? A little boy like you ought to be with your mama. Are you teasing me? I really should be on my own without my mama, but I'm so worried I can't sleep.

: Do you don't get any sleep at all? How can you be a sailor?

: No, no. Of course I sleep just fine every night. My mama always travels with me. My mama is back over there. I think everyone should have a reliable mama!

: Ah haha. Sorry, sorry. I've never been on a Steamer before. Everything is so new.

: I was like that before, so I know what you mean, but you're not the only one on the ship. I'm glad you're spirited but still, you run around too much and you'll fall off the ship.

: Boy, where's your mama?

: Hey, hey, just a second, Ma'am!

: I am an adventurer! Don't treat me as a child.

: I see, you're playing "adventurer". But just don't go out of sight of your mama.

Not many people down here, and we already talked to one in the normal update, as he's required to advance the plot.

: Mr. passenger, this is the crew's quarters. Please return to your cabin. If you are bored, why don't you visit the lounge or go up on deck?

: Boy, don't be wandering around the ship. The deck and engine room are particularly dangerous. Spirited boys like you keep falling into the sea and getting caught in the gears.

: Really!? The Steamer does have scary places.

: Hahaha. Actually, we're here to make sure passengers don't fall into the sea or get caught in the gears.

: Aww, you really had me going there.

Hmm, engine room, you say?

: Cool! Will you let me look around?

: I don't mind, but it's dangerous so don't go touching anything. Don't want you to get burned. Hey boy, ain't it hot in here? We're always burning coal, ya see.

: Wow, it really is hot.

: Sir, I guess you work here all the time.

: Gotta push the button. Just a little won't hurt!

: OUCH-CH-CH!

: Ugh. No fun. It's too hot, so I can't push it.

: I'll just push it and see.

: Ouch! Ouch-ouch-ouch! YIKES. That was HOT!

: Aw, I just wanted to try it. So this controls the engine. Hmm, I'd like to try moving it.

: I'm not the kind of passenger who'd worry about that.

: That's it. Look down from the railing over there and see our "latest technology".

And finally, let's hit up the second-class cabin.

:stare: M-maybe next time. See you then!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2015

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Jesus, this game is dense.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

curiousCat posted:

Jesus, this game is dense.

Immensely so. You can't say that they half-assed it with this one, at the very least.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Immensely so. You can't say that they half-assed it with this one, at the very least.

Would certainly be easier to transcribe if they did! :v:

And now we're getting into the part of the game where even the dungeons start taking multiple updates. So, without further ado...

So glad I got these two updates done before the FJF started...

----

Welcome back! Last time, a mysterious Ghost Ship appeared and stopped the Steamer from getting to New Parm, so Justin, Sue, and Feena went aboard to... Actually, I'm not entirely sure what they intended to accomplish by doing that.

SpooOOOOoooOOOooky. :ghost:

Hey, a door! We'll have this mystery solved in no time, gang!

Ruh-oh, Raggy.

: Justin, you shouldn't try to force it open. It might be booby-trapped.

This looks more promising.

Normally I'd gif that, but with the mist and the boat rocking, it winds up ballooning the filesize.

The game needs more pitch black screens with characters talking. Makes it much easier to rip the portraits. :v:

: You two, no carelessness. Watch your feet.

: I could do this in my sleep. A first-rate adventurer, no problem! ... ...?

: What's this? It's soft and warm... and...

: Ouch! It's your fault, stopping suddenly when you're in front!

Even her sprite blushes here.

: Anyway, let's go! We can't be wasting time.

: Hee hee. Justin, your face is red!

Yoink! And the Save Point hint talks about Feena's magic. I'll be going into more detail about that soon enough.

This room is kind of cluttered.

But this angle lets you see the Herbs, at least.

ZOINKS! A G-G-G-G-G-GHOST!

Thankfully, Feena knows how to deal with the undead. Burn!, as you might have already guessed, is a fire-elemental attack with a small AoE.

Decent damage, though.

In the end, though, the eight-year-old beats both of the ghosts back to death with a mining hammer. Also, no, these ghosts don't resist physical attacks, that one was just defending.

The rewards they give are poo poo, though.

More money.

And here we can see that the ship is ship-shaped, even if it's not ship-shape.

... I never said my puns were any good. :v:

We run into another ghost hidden behind that pot there.

Surely this hit both of them, right?

Nope.

Sue continues to be a re-murderbeast.

Just pretend there's a Tindeck link to the first Ghost Ship Interior music here. Or pretend the game keeps on playing the second one. Either way works.

Two bags of gold, another group of ghosts, and some new thing up in the corner.

The ghost dodges Feena's whip. How rude!

Justin and Sue each got two hits off on their ghosts. You'll notice that Sue is nearly doing Justin's combo damage per hit.

Anyway, the two of them race to get the finishing blow.

Feena joins the race too late, Justin's already swung his sword and claimed victory.

Sea Jellies!

We actually do hit two of them this time. During spell animations, all sprites are frozen, except for the one that are affected by the attack, which shake.

Something important to note about AoE skills: The one targeted takes more damage than those in the splash area.

Each Sea Jelly gives more EXP and Gold than a Ghost does, and they come in larger groups, which are placed closer together.

Basically, gently caress ghosts.

Onward and upward! Literally!

That's a lot of gold.

That is not nearly as much gold, but at least we can pick it up.

It is nice that they show you how the crew got around the ship before it rotted away.

More gold! What are we going to spend it on? Something that's still a ways off.

That's one hell of a skull up there.

I don't even know what this thing is that's waving back and forth, but we can examine it!

Anyway, let's grab that meat.

: Justin, are you all right? Are you hurt?

: Incredible! That was cool, Feena!

: But Justin... That was so uncool.

: Aw, come on. I was just a little careless.

Anyway, that door leads to the upper part of this room.

Well, can't go that way.

More gold! And more ghosts!

I guess Feena is a descendant of the Belmonts.

While Justin can't even finish off a weakened ghost in one shot.

Hmm? What's this?

Three guess which element this dungeon's boss's big fuckoff special attack is. It goes on the artillery made of tissue paper. It actually doesn't matter. :ssh:

And while I'm here, I swap out her mittens for a shield. Might as well actually, y'know, bother to change armor every once in a while. :v:

A wound salve.

Those things look new.

As you might imagine by their thick shells, these guys have high defense.

As you also might imagine, I give zero fucks about this and whip the bastards to death anyway.

For an ususual reward.

And a level for Justin.

The Smarna Weed is the first thing we get that can debuff enemies. So let's see how long it takes me to remember that I have it.

Ghost and Sea Jelly visible already.

Gold with treasure chest visible.

Uh-oh.

Apparently there's only so much room for text in the pre-battle menu, as the enemy names will overwrite the "Ambush" or "Your Initiative" messages once they start scrolling off the screen.

I should have a screencap of "Marna Bugiative!" somewhere...

Shout! deals little damage (in fact, it didn't even scratch Feena), but hits all allies, goes off pretty quickly, and has a stun effect.

Feena Belmont proves her skill at busting ghosts.

Meanwhile, inside the treasure chest, we find this. :pirate:

Which gives Sue the defense boost she needs to surpass Justin.

Still way behind Feena, though.

Something I haven't specifically mentioned yet is that, oftentimes, equipping the best weapons you have is not a good idea. By killing the enemies in fewer hits, you're getting less weapon XP from them, and you grow more slowly.

However, in the interest of avoiding grinding, that poo poo goes right on Justin.

Dear lord, they're multiplying!

Ammonitetiative!

As you can see, Burn! wrecks them pretty hard.

And Justin gets a sword level from picking off one of the stragglers. Notice how the Admiral's Sword's sprite is much smaller than the Ceramic Sword's.

And those fuckers didn't drop any money! :argh:

I love goooooooold!

I don't love ghoooooooost!

And, uh, pretend there's a "Ghostoidtiative!" screenshot here, if you think it'd be funny. If not, then ignore this line.

Hits the three in the back, but not the one up front.

And Sue does what Sue does best, and gets better at it for having done it. The rest of the fight goes as expected.

And we pick up another phoenix down resurrection potion.

: Hmm. What's with this lock, it doesn't unlock.

: Let me try.

: There! It's unlocked. Let's go.

: Incredible. Feena can do anything!

This door just leads back to the upper deck. So let's try the other on-

Edward Tohr cancels Create LP: Interrupted by Carp.

See you next time!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 10, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

The game needs more pitch black screens with characters talking. Makes it much easier to rip the portraits. :v:

Oh, this site should help you then:
WARNING: Spoilers ahoy! Even if they're just filenames. http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/grandia/pictures/

In the "characters" folder you can get every portrait in the game, although you'll have to resize them.
The "enemies" folder has a sprite of each enemy in the game.
The "icons" folder contains mostly menu and battle icons.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Petiso posted:

Oh, this site should help you then:
WARNING: Spoilers ahoy! Even if they're just filenames. http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/grandia/pictures/

In the "characters" folder you can get every portrait in the game, although you'll have to resize them.
The "enemies" folder has a sprite of each enemy in the game.
The "icons" folder contains mostly menu and battle icons.

:stare: Oh holy gently caress.

Thank you.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
And then he used wget to accidentally get far, far more portraits than he ever bargained for.

RIP OP, buried under jpgs and pngs.

:ssh: Just kidding we were making him DM Pathfinder.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Technically, they were all gifs.

Just, y'know, every single gif on the site. :v:

----

Welcome back! Last time, we fought our way through the Ghost Ship, and are about to find what lurks in it's spOoooOOOooky heart!

Anyway, the save point's hint is "Monsters have elemental weaknesses! Aquatic and Undead enemies, like, say, the ones that you find in this dungeon are weak against Fire! Y'know, that nifty spell that Feena has?"

This isn't the way?

: Like a predator stalking its prey.

: But Feena, this is a Ghost Ship. How does it catch its prey?

: Justin. The prey is already here.

Yep, we get a zoom-out here. Surprised there was no "DUN DUN DUUUUUN!" sound clip to go with it.

: Huh? Here...?

: Do you mean US!?

: Justin... look around carefully or it could be fatal.

Dammit, I can't decide whether to make a "Look around you" joke or a reference to the Stupids with "Fatal Error Drive B"

If you look carefully, you can see landmasses on the globe correspond to ones on the map. Detail! :eng101:

: Yeah, really seems like a Ghost Ship.

: Looks like the ship's log.

: Maybe the log contains a clue to the mystery. Let's read it.

: "Unless we kill that accursed monster our voyage has no tomorrow...."

: It ends here.

: Monster? What could that mean...?

: Be careful! This is the "Monster"!

(polsy link)

As usual, skip down to "battle ends" to bypass the transcription.

Much like the Orc King, this fight consists of the main target and two adds.

Unlike the Orcs, though, these tentacles will mess you up if you give them a chance to. Like, say, by not healing beforehand and having your resurrection potion on your squishiest party member.

Anyway, you see here that the Right Tentacle is charging up Howl. It's imperative that you stop this from going off. If you're wounded and/or your party is bunched up, it can be hard to recover from.

Another difference is that all three parts are on the same spot, meaning any AoE at all will hit all three of them.

You may have noticed that Feena's been getting a lot of use of that Burn! spell, despite her whip usually being just as, if not more, effective. There is a reason for that. With this casting, she got enough XP to level up her Fire skill to 4.

Where this happens. Next time Feena gets a turn, you'll see why this is so important.

Sue opens up with a Puffy Kick, to keep her out of range of the Squid King.

Because his attacks can hurt.

Hmm, that's strange. Where's our new spell?

Over here, in the Level 2 Magic tab.

Before she can cast it, though, the Squid King launches one of his specials. Shockwave is pretty unique, actually.

It requires at least one tentacle alive, and it hits in a radius around the Squid King. A rather short radius, as Justin was unaffected by it.

So, Burnflame.

It is a massive AoE.

That deals more damage than Burn!. It's going to be our best hard-hitting area control spell for a while.

And here's another reason to murder the crap out of the right tentacle. Alheal, as you may guess, is a multi-target healing spell. Not particularly powerful, especially by the boss here, but it's still enough to give you a headache.

So he's got powerful attacks, and buckets of HP that he can heal. What's his downside?

He's immobile. Shockwave can miss if nobody is standing close to him, but so can the tentacles' normal attacks.

Despite being three parts, he can also only take one action at a time, so once a part goes into the ACT part of the IP gauge, the other two are frozen until the attack either goes off or is canceled. If you get lucky with combos and turn timing, you can get several turns in while waiting for him to charge something up.

Anyway, Howl. I warned about this early on. If you see someone getting targeted by it, move them away from the others. Why?

Because it's an AoE that's nearly as big as Burnflame.

And it hits like a normal attack, complete with the stunning while you recover. Remember that bit about keeping him stunlocked? Well, with Howl he can do the same to you.

Suck In is the last of his attacks we'll cover. It deals no damage and doesn't interrupt anything, but just drags everyone closer to the boss, leaving them bunched up and in range of all of his nasty attacks.

This could end badly. :ohdear:

Justin didn't have time to get away, but Sue has the resurrection potion, so...

Oh yeah. Without tentacles, he can't use Shockwave. False alarm!

And, with Feena's whip striking true, the battle ends.

I think we got more gold from the boss than we did from the entire rest of the dungeon.

Everyone's more than halfway to their next skill level.

And Sue levels up again. She's gonna want every point of Wit she can get to keep up with the other two.

: No doubt about it. It must have attacked the ship and preyed on the people.

If this were a modern game, the ship would've been Lilly's, and there'd be some clue about Justin's Dad because you can't just have character motivation without shoehorning it into the plot somehow.

Anyway, the screen starts shaking here. Yadda yadda, gifs too big, etc. :effort:

: YIKES! What was THAT!?

: OH, NO! This ship has begun to sink. Justin. QUICK, we've got to escape! We're doomed if we go down with it!

No timers, no warnings, just the dramatic music and shaking screen. If you didn't kill the enemies on this screen yet, they'll still be here.

The game does, at least, stop you from backtracking.

: That's right, Justin! Didn't I say to listen to Feena?

: Don't worry! Leave it to me!

Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality, Justin!

: Come, quick! Climb this rope!

: Nothin' to it. That Ghost Ship was easier than swabbing the decks!

: Hee, gotta hand it to you! Oh yeah! I have news. They're gonna let me work on the ship! In the engine room! They're right in the middle of repairing the engine!

: How about that! Good for you!

: That giant squid stopped the ship. It was quite a beast.

: I told you from the beginning.

: There are no such things as ghosts.

Ahem!

: Right, Cap'n?

: Good job, Feena! Now we can make it to the New World. I can really depend on you.

: Oh, Cap'n! Not just me. You've got to thank Justin and his friend too.

: We defeated the Ghost Ship by the three of us working together.

: Of course! You're quite right! I didn't imagine they could accomplish what they did.

: To tell the truth... I didn't think so either.

: You were quite an adventurer! You get a perfect score on your first adventure.

Perfect score...?

poo poo, Java almost failed us for not realizing the mine would collapse when we killed the orcs, but we get perfect marks for that performance? Feena sure is an easy grader.

: You looked pretty good there, Justin. ♥

Ooooooooh. That explains it.

: This is sorta embarrassing.

: This isn't like you, Justin. Getting all red-faced like this. ♥

: Puff-Pufft!

: Puffy! What are you saying?!

: Ah hahahahaha!

And a fade to black with everyone laughing.

Next time: More dialog! Fewer dungeons!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 10, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
That squid boss is probably the first honestly tough fight of the game. It's a great check for if you have mastered the basics of manipulating enemy turns and prioritizing targets--and even then, you're getting hit by a surprisingly brutal array of attacks, so it's a lot to deal with early in the game. Depending on how well you learn from this fight, the next few bosses will pale in comparison, especially since New Parm opens up something that'll expand your arsenal quite substantially.

That all being said, the upcoming sequence of events, largely starting from the Steamer but not ending until the end of the next dungeon, is the slowest part of the game. It's the worst obstacle to replaying it, but once you soldier through, the game's about to get real loving awesome real loving fast.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Am I missing something or did you forget/hide the fact that there's a mana egg on the ship.

Because that's... well, pretty useful.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mountain Lightning posted:

Am I missing something or did you forget/hide the fact that there's a mana egg on the ship.

Because that's... well, pretty useful.

It's stealth-inserted into your inventory after you beat the boss. Which means, yes, you can temporarily screw yourself out of magic if Justin and Sue both have full inventories and it goes to Feena. Not sure what happens if all three are full up, but I'm guessing Edward will show that off, either himself or through someone else's footage.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Bufuman posted:

It's stealth-inserted into your inventory after you beat the boss. Which means, yes, you can temporarily screw yourself out of magic if Justin and Sue both have full inventories and it goes to Feena. Not sure what happens if all three are full up, but I'm guessing Edward will show that off, either himself or through someone else's footage.

Ah I could've sworn you actually have to pick it up or it was part of the official boss drop. My bad.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Given the way I play, that scenario happens nearly every time.

It gets sent to the Stashing Place in that instance.

And the reason I didn't mention it is because I'll be able to say more than just "Here's a thing" in the next update. :v:

Speaking of next update I have chapter 9's NPC update ready!

----

Welcome back! Today's update is only late because the forums went down, and not in any way shape or form because Metal Gear Rising went on sale on Steam.

Anyway.

So let's get started!

: Ahh, that was a nice leave. Parm is a nice town.

: Sir, are you going back home to New Parm?

: Yes. My work in the Garlyle Forces is waiting for ma back in New Parm. Parm was a nice town. But I felt so restless without a weapon in hand. I want to get back to the squad and do some tough combat drills. I wouldn't even mind some real combat.

: This guy sounds dangerous.

: But why did my commander give me such a long leave? I prefer combat to leave.

: I am a man charmed by the New World. I've been to the New World 10 times!

: I know what you mean. I've been wanting to go to the New World for so long.

: It's gotta be the people there. Maybe due to the heat, they are so easygoing and enjoy festivals. Also, they are open and friendly even to strangers. Anyway, the people of New Parm are all good ones.

: I wonder if the adventurers of New Parm are easygoing too?

: If so, I can make friends.

: 126, 127, 128... just how many rats are there? I'm so bored on this ship. Nothing to do but count the rats in the room.

: Really? There are lots of interesting things around the ship.

: ... 247, 248... just how many rats!?

: Sir, you must really be bored.

: Miss, you look pretty happy. Did something nice happen?

: He isn't back from the New World. So I'm going to the New World. A girl in love has no fear. I waited but he didn't come back. So I decided to go to the New World. Wonder what he'll say when we meet? ♥

: But the Captain is so stingy, he won't hire a nurse. He thinks women shouldn't work on ships.

: I've heard that before....

: Isn't that one of the "rules of the sea"?

: Rules, phooey! If we had a nurse, I might just be able to save more lives. The Captain is really stubborn.

: But why does the nurse have to be beautiful?

: Mmm! ... 'Cause that's what I like. If I had a beautiful nurse, it'd help my morale, but the Captain hates women.

This screenshot would be great to take out of context.

: Now that you say so, I've heard of it.

: Hee hee. It does sound interesting.

: The End of the World lies deep in the New Continent. Dunno if it's a cliff or mountain but it is said to be virtually the end of the world.

: Wow, the New World is incredible! There are even such places!

: I can't wait to get there.

: I've never seen it, but it seems to be pretty hard to get to the End of the World.

Oh dear. We'll find out more about her story later.

: Look at just how relaxed I am. Yoo-hoo. Look at ME on a ship! ♪

: Don't worry! I'm having more fun than I can stand! I've got no time to be nervous!

: Hahaha. Son, you're in a good mood! Let's both have a good trip!

: Yikes! Lice? I've got to watch out.

: Ohh, my chest aches and my head is spinning. Could this... be love? The ache in my chest... aah, so this is love! Something is coming... (Urp!)

: Hey, hey! Miss, I said, you're seasick!

: Hmm, being a sailor isn't bad.

: But it you think about it, an adventurer can do that too!

: Yeah! You're right! Hmm! I'm gonna be an ocean adventurer!

: The sea isn't enough for me. I'm gonna go on adventures throughout the world! Good luck to both of us!

: Sir, you're from New Parm!?

: Well, tell me, what kind of place is New Parm?

: Oh, certainly! The sun shines all the time on cheerful adventurers. At the dinner theater, adventurers eat dinner while watching beautiful dancing girls and telling stories.

And finally, tucked away in the corner is our final NPC for this room. Well, there is one more, but he's just the shopkeeper.

: Say, whatcha doin'?

: Oh, I'm practicing my singing. I want to become a singer in New Parm. Oh, I can't wait to get to New Parm. I know! I'll turn the beating of my heart into a song for you. ♥ Aaah, thumpety-thump goes my heart. ♪ The new land of New Parm awaits me with its charm. ♪

: Miss, you don't have to sing for me.

: As a singer, I must practice my singing anytime and anywhere. Tra la la, la la. ♪

See? Just the shopkeeper.

The weapon shop contains the top-tier weapons from Parm, as well as an axe, which could have been picked up earlier, and a paring knife, which Feena begins with anyway.

The armor shop has a few new things. I think.

To be honest, I'm not paying much attention to armor. Aside from keeping Justin equipped with the Four Three Treasures.

Multitarget healing, cheap healing, and decent healing. In case Rah Rah isn't cutting it for your healing needs.

Even with crappy armor and without Save Point recovery, Rah Rah is cutting it for my healing needs.

Anyway, that's everything.

Until we run into Sue, anyway. Speaking of...

Going around this counterclockwise.

: Hmm, I don't really like throwing people overboard in a barrel.

: So then stop them!

: But if someone breaks the rules of the sea, we have no choice. Take a good look at the demise of one who disobeys the Sea Spirits.

: I don't want to look!

: Hey, boy! There's a stowaway! Might see 'em thrown overboard in a barrel.

: Hey, c'mon, don't say that!

: I don't want to see it myself. But throwing stowaways overboard in a barrel is the rule of the sea. I've never seen someone thrown overboard in a barrel. My first memory of this voyage has a bad aftertaste.

: Right. You gotta stop 'em somehow.

: A stowaway is the kind of rule-breaker the Sea Spirits hate most.

: Aaah, we're really busted. That Sue is so reckless.

: Aahhh.... That poor little girl... I feel sorry for her.

: When I was watching the weather, I found a stowaway this small.

: Say, how did you know that Sue was a stowaway?

: When I asked her who her guardian was she jumped up and ran away. They say that stowaways make the Sea Spirits angry and bring storms. I have to watch the sky closely.

: Hmm. Is that the legend?

: But the Spirits will forgive Sue. She's a smart-aleck but a good kid.

: That girl is quite a problem. I can't even get ahead in repairing my beloved crane "Elizabeth".

: The crane can wait. But not Sue. Please save her, sir.

: You're right. Women do need a lot of care. My "Elizabeth" too.

: Don't compare Sue to a CRANE for gosh sakes.

: Hmm. But if you have a problem with a crane, I'll help you out as much as I can.

: How silly. If you're gonna stow away, do it so ya don't get caught!

: You don't seem to care at all!

: Don't be a fool! I don't wanna see a girl die either! Ahh! Is there no way to save her?

: I want to save Sue, too. Let's put our heads together.

What, you thought I was joking when I said that even the inanimate objects get different text based on the situation?

: Ugh. If I run away now, who knows what she'll say later.

If you try to leave, Sue yells at you. Which is great news because it's one less time I'd have to examine everything in the Captain's room.

Speaking of the Captain...

: Oh no! We've never had such a little stowaway before. But.... We must uphold the rules of the sea.

Talking to Sue triggers the next phase of the conversation. Talking to her again after that...

: Just live with it, Justin. The ship's already sailed. We can't go back to Parm!

: We're off on an adventure!

: You may say so, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

After talking to the captain once, Sue gets an additional line.

: They don't have to be stingy. What's one more on a big ship!? Do something, Justin!

:allears: And it is worth putting up with the crazy amount of dialog in this game.

All right. Now Justin and Sue are part of the crew. This means that just about everyone has something new to say.

: Now off to the deck!

I do have to wonder how one pronounces "* * Save Game * *".

: Yes sir! I understand!

: Fine. I like your crisp response!

: Don't worry, even the Spirits can't get angry at a beautiful lady like me. ♥

: But I'm not a stowaway.

: Now I've become an apprentice sailor.

: You newbies wouldn't know it, but remember that angering the Sea Spirits will give you no end of trouble.

Take my word for it, we're talking to the hatless sailor guy.

: We won't get in anyone's way.

: Puff Puff!

: Hah hah hah. Newbies are always getting in the way. It was the same with me.

Next up, the engine room.

: I bet even I could do it. Here goes....

: Stop that, Justin! Break it and we'll really get the barrel this time!

: Sue, you think so? The crew doesn't want me to touch it either. I just want to try it out. I AM a sailor... okay, I guess I shouldn't.

: And it's so hot in here. I'm glad they didn't make me work down here.

: But I get to work surrounded by the latest technology, so I don't get really tired. So you're an apprentice too. They do work ya pretty hard on this ship but they're good guys.

: Really? We almost got thrown overboard in a barrel.

: I'm glad we're still alive, though.

: That's it. Look down from the railing over there and see our "latest technology".

: This is better 'an the steam engine. But isn't it too hot in here? Justin, let's get out of here.

: Hee hee. Now I know this thing runs on steam.

: Sue said that about the steam engine. So cool. I'll never get sick of it. But it's hot too.

: Yup, it seems to be that way.

This guy here gives us a little quiz. All three questions have "I don't know" as an option, and they all result in the same response.

: You haven't studied enough. You won't be a good sailor yet.

: This isn't the first time Justin hasn't studied enough, right. ♥

: You're terrible. That's not so, Sue.

And, if you talk to him again after having given a wrong answer...

: Hey, apprentice sailor! How are you doing?

: Ugh. Just cut out the "apprentice" part.

: Puff-Puff-Pufft

: Wah hah hah! OK, then try saying all the rules of the sea.

And with those out of the way, the rest of the answers.

: "You gotta learn to swim"?

: Wah hah hah. That sure is funny, but it's not a rule of the sea. That's true for a man of the sea, but even if you can't swim, you can take the Steamer.

: Maybe "Don't be a stowaway".

: Well, you have to know some of them!

: He IS scolded all the time. ♪

: "You gotta have chest hair".

: Hey, Justin? Isn't that discrimination? How can women obey that rule!?

: But don't you think it's the chest hair that makes a man of the sea?

: Exactly! Look at my chest hair! You know, you sound just like the Captain!

: "Don't spill blood in a fight".

: Hmm, you are learning well.

: Of course. Adventurers and sailors are just like brothers!

: Maybe "Don't take a bath".

: Umm... I'm disappointed. Who has to obey that rule!?

: Say, Justin? Don't tell me you still haven't taken a bath yet!?

: How about "Don't dirty the sea".

: Ho ho. You do understand. Long as you follow the rules you won't feel the wrath of the Sea Spirits.

: So we ARE great sailors. ♥

: Don't get carried away. Not yet, but I'll give you this. Remember to obey the rules.

: That passes for an apprentice sailor. Now you have to work hard to follow the rules of the sea.

Beef Jerky heals a decent amount of HP to a single character. Not too shabby of a reward.

: You know, he even said that I ought to be on my own, without mama! Can you believe that?

: I think he's right!

: Even though mama cried and pleaded he didn't even give me an easy job. That Captain is pretty strict.

: So sir, you have a daughter.

: Then I'll try thinking of something, too. ♥

: Oh, thanks for the help. I just don't know what a girl might like. What do you think of a beautiful ribbon like that in your hair?

: Puff. Puff-Puff?

: Huh, what! Isn't that a ribbon!? A talking ribbon. How extraordinary. I'm sure my daughter would like that. Think they sell that in the New World?

: He WAS born in the New World, but...

: I don't think Puffy is for sale anywhere.

: Hmm, I'd rather become a nice adventurer, though.

: Listen. Sailor's Lesson 1 is to always have a nice smile. If your front teeth shine, perfect.

: That's sort of hard.

: How about this?

: No, no, no, Justin. Ready? This is it.

: Hee hee. ♥

: A nice smile is most basic. You ought to learn it quick.

: It's all Justin's fault. He tried to ditch me.

: Even so, you didn't have to stow away.

: Sue, I can't keep up with you.

: I may look nice but I've done plenty of mischief. I've been in the slammer plenty. But the Captain here took me in. I'll never forget my debt to him as long as I live.

: Wow, what kind of mischief? Did you almost get the barrel yourself?

: Stealing, running out on my tab, graffiti, littering, shoplifting. I've done almost everything.

: Hahaha! He sounds BAD!

: Puff-Puff-Pufft! Puff. Puff-Puff-Pufft!

: Yow! Just a joke. Just a joke, Puffy! Don't get so angry!

Whew. Next time... hopefully we'll at least get to when the Ghost Ship appears.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 10, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Edited an update into my previous post, so if you're really curious about Steamer NPCs, boy howdy is today your day!

Didn't want to get too far behind on these. Regular update will be... delayed.

---

Welcome back! Today we'll continue to cover the Steamer.

: Understand, Justin!?

: OK, OK. I understand.

Of the three signs in this room, this is the only one that's changed so far. Over in First Class...

The cabins are open!

: Our trip to New Parm now is one way to calm his soul. Sorry to trouble you. ... My, oh my! Dear! Dear! Look! Our lost son!

Well gently caress you too, buddy.

: Don't be blabbering about... Pi-Pillarino!? You are still alive after all!

: Huh, you mean me!?

: Not YOU! The one over there who says Puff Puff! He looks exactly like my late son.

: Puff Puff-Pu-Puff!?

: The ears, cute round eyes, profile... all exactly like my son... Pillarino!

: Puff, Puff, Pufff♪

: Oh! I think he's happy to look like my son! He's just so cute! Wah ha ha!

: Hmm. A son who looks like Puffy? Just what could...?

: I haven't seen my dear husband smile in so long. Coming on this trip was worth it. And it is all thanks to your little Puffy!

: Puffy is happy to be of help!

: Puff-Puff Pufft!

See, I knew Puffy would be important to the plot some day.

Over in the next cabin...

Game Arts really got their milage out of that woman's sprite.

: Yes, Ma'am. Right away.

: Oh, I'm so glad. I'd just DIE if my room isn't spotless.

: I do like things tidy, but dying is a bit much.

Talking to her again...

: EEEEK! What kind of a ship are they running with such a FILTHY bath? Quickly now, clean the bath!

: OK, OK. The bathtub, right? I'll clean it right now.

: Huh!? What does she mean, filthy? Looks clean to me.

: That's odd....

: Could she mean that tiny smudge?

: Huh! Just this little smudge?

: Oh well, guess I gotta clean it. ... ... OK, that does it.

: I guess a clean bathtub is best, after all.

: Thank you for cleaning the bathtub. I feel so much better. Good job. Here's only 25G, but please take it. Now that you're finished cleaning, please leave the cabin, porter.

: Wow, it really is incredible.

: Wonder how much it'd cost to stay here?

: Hmm, for what it costs to stay here, 10 people could stay in 2nd class.

Granted, we never find out how much a 2nd class pass costs.

: Ahh, exquisite furniture and food matching any first-class hotel. How suitable for a rich man like me.

: The service must be first-rate too.

And that's it for that cabin.

It seems like we were just here.

: Dances are a fascinating subject. After all, not only people dance. Even crabs dance under the full moon. Birds and bugs and fish dance too. Isn't that incredible? The more you study the more you discover. Dance is a wonderful part of culture.

: Tee hee! I've just always wanted to say that!

: Justin, who are you imitating?

: So you were listening! This is the pose that "Blink Wayne" always takes! Wayne could swing a sword so fast you couldn't see the tip. He always pushed his hat down.

: Puff! Puff!

: What's wrong, Puffy? Hungry or something?

: Hey, aren't you listening?

: Of course I was listening. Um. He always pushed his hat down and said Puff Puff, right?

: I'm so jealous that she can get the President all to herself! EEE! I'm SOO F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-E-D!

: There must have been a torrid romance between those two. That's my dream. ♥

: Could that President be... Mr. Gauss from Mom's letter?

: Wow, he's engaged.

Mr. Chestnut Sea Urchin guy there has no new dialog.

: I'm Sue! And this is Puffy. Pleased to meet you. ♥

: Puff Puff.

: So you're Sue. Is that so. Sue, you say. ♥

: Huh? You're strange.

: I'll flip a coin. All you do is guess heads or tails. However, you must bet 100 G.

: Sorry, but I'm on duty.

: Hmm. Your work is more important. Not quite thrilling enough, eh? If that's your choice then so be it.

Psh, we're not so cowardly. :colbert:

: Sounds interesting. OK.

The coin does come up randomly. In our case...

: Hmm, it's heads!

: Yippee, I WIN! Hee-hee. What do I win!?

: Great! Justin. ♥

: Puff Pufft!

: I can't believe you beat me. Congratulations. You win. Take these 100 gold pieces. You did well. Well, these things do happen. Makes it more interesting. He he he.

: Sir, I think you're faking it. You're not smiling. You look pretty annoyed!

: Don't know the details, only that he's an authentic veteran. You in the crew know anything?

: Nothin' at all.

: But I'd like to meet a great adventurer like yesterday.

... Not sure if he's referring to having met Java a few days ago, or if he was using it as a "meet an adventurer, like, yesterday" sort of thing.

: I don't know much about the adventurers in the New World. Only about the Adventurers Society.

And her identical quadruplet next to her...

: He keeps a cool facade, but he burns with the love of chance... aww, so dashing. ♥

I love these lines. :allears:

: Don't know what that is. You should ask the Captain.

: Actually, I'm a photographer. I want to put out a book of all my photos. End of the World, various ruins and mysteries in an expanse of nature. I want to shoot this Steamer too. Isn't this ship state of the art? It ought to have quite an impact! Using high technology to get to the land of great mystery.... Whew, really sounds dramatic. Let me take a picture of you two cute crewmembers!

: Is one picture enough? ♥

This is the woman who was crying because she got dumped, presumably because of her freckles. Needless to say, the first and last options are not the best way to go about this.

: Not to worry! Just a couple!

: Yes, you are right. Thank you. ♥ I thought I was fretting about it too much. ♪

: Of course. Freckles are part of the allure of a lady! Like me, for example. ♥

: I feel better thanks to your help. Thank you!

: Freckles are one of a lady's charms. You can become a lively lady and have torrid love affairs. ♥

: You're right. I've got to work hard! I know. I'll give you this!

: I don't need it anyway! Sweets are bad for the complexion. ♥

: Thank you! I'm rooting for you, Miss!

Clearly we've gotten the good ending here.

: The Continent of Messina is so filled with industry and steam and such, I couldn't dream of a ranch. The New World has just the right environment for running a ranch. A big gamble in leaving my home. I hear they have sheep in New Parm. Maybe I ought to try a sheep ranch.

Whew. That's it for this ro- eh? What happens if we picked different dialog options? Okay, okay, fine.

First up, losing the coin toss.

: Hee, hee look, it's head.

: Aww, I lost.

: You'll need a lot more practice to beat me. I'll take my 100 gold pieces.

: Aww! That's too bad!

: But it might be punishment for not being careful with money.

: He he. To win at gambling, you have to believe in your own luck and not bet against ME. Even though I won, I must say such a paltry game no longer gives me a thrill. I will get a taste of real thrills in New Parm. I'd like to get there soon.

: Not at all!

: LIAR! Telling such transparent lies won't make me feel one bit better!

: Be careful, Justin! A young girl's heart is delicate and fragile like glasswork!

: Oh, just forget it. I was silly for telling you about my troubles.

: Hmm, actually you do have a lot.

: You don't have to be so honest about it! Terrible. You're terrible!

: Juuusstiiin! Should I think you're trying to get me into a fight too!?

: Hang on. Time OUT! Just forget that! OK!?

Obviously, offending her means you don't get the chocolate.

Garlyle Guy at the foot of the stairs there has no new dialog.

: Wow, that is a problem. I think there are way too many. That'd be unthinkable at the Seagull.

: Say, Justin. Think this guy might have counted the same rat more than once?

: There's one more. That makes 2015 rats-squeak.

: Rats-squeak? Is this guy all right?

I'm talking to the doctor, here.

: We get lots of injuries, but don't you worry. I'll take care of you!

: That doesn't make me worry any less....

: Justin, how are you feeling? Any coughing? Feeling tired? Shall I give you a shot?

: Yeow! A SHOT! I-I'm just fine! No shots. I'm so healthy I could die.

: Wah haha. If you're that healthy maybe we should have you work more. No problem.

: I hate shots, but no more work either.

: What's wrong, Miss? Suddenly shouting like that.

: I just want to SCREAM! He selfishly ate the apple pie I worked so hard to bake! The guilty man is a childhood friend who used to sneak into my house and gobble up my homemade pies! He now lives in the New World. I've got to chase him and give him a good scolding or I'll go crazy!

: Could that be your only reason for going to the New World!?

: I've got to show that man how terrible a person's grudges over food can be!

: Naw, Sue got found out as a stowaway. We were really in trouble.

: Yipes! Sto-stowaway!?

: "Yipes"? Sir, might YOU be a stowaway?

: Oh no! I've been found out! Plea-please don't tell anyone! OK! Please! Please keep this a secret. They'll make me walk the plank. And SPLASH into shark-infested waters.

: Don't worry. They're not so barbaric as to make you shark food.

: Now they throw you over in a barrel.

: No, no PLEASE! Not the BARREL! Please don't tell anyone! If they know I'm a stowaway, they'll give me the barrel on deck. Please don't tell anyone!

: Why don't you see the ship's doctor?

: I can see what's wrong without him. This cabin is just filthy! Ee. Ya. I'm so itchy. My outie is so itchy I can't stand it. It's because this cabin is so filthy!

: Better 'n the crew's quarters.

: Doesn't seem to bother the others. Are you bathing regularly?

: Bathing... Oh yeah!

: "Oh yeah"? Gross!

: Now that you say so, I haven't bathed in two weeks with this itchy outie! Hmm. I guess I ought to take a bath every day! And that's right, haven't brushed my teeth in the ten days either.

: Disgusting.

: It was because I was a stowaway! It was my fault! Eh-hem!

: That's it! That's the way to do it! All right! I'll be a stowaway next time!

: Um, I don't think that's a good idea.

: I'll be a stowaway, and when the Captain finds me, I'll say "I'll do anything. Make me a sailor!"

: Then the Captain will say, "OK. I have no choice. The barrel for you!"

: Wow. Dancing girls. Lovely! Could I become a dancing girl? Puffy, what do you think?

: Puff? Puff-puff!

: I think you would make a lovely dancing girl. In 10 years or so.

: Miss, might you be seasick?

: Ohh, my chest is hot... Something hot is coming... (Urp!)

: Eew! Don't barf on me!

The singing woman also has no new dialog, so back up onto the deck.

: Wow.

: Ugh. We're both soaking wet.

: You look good dripping wet. ♥

: Pufft Pufft Pufft

: Do you like it? Don't complain if you catch a cold, Puffy!

: Don't be noodling about that. We gotta swab THIS ship's decks. It's gonna be night already.

: Ugh. Now who's fault is that?

: Justin, it was your fault for trying to ditch me!

: Could this be the Captain!? A picture of him when he was young.

: He was pretty handsome!

: He certainly was handsome. ♥ Think he used to be popular?

: Oh, Justin! You're so mean. I'm too short, so I can't see.

: Puff-Pufft! Puff-Puff!

: Heyyy! What are you doing, Puffy! This is used for work. Don't be fooling around! Argh! Both Justin and Puffy always want to fool around with anything they see!

: Puff-Puff! Puff-Puff!

: Puffy seems to think there's something inside there. Oh, Puffy! There's nothing to eat or play with in here. Nothing in here at all!

: You're right, it's beautiful! Tee-hee. I did the right thing by sneaking aboard after all!

: See! Puffy thinks so too! Tee-hee, Puffy seems to like it here too.

: I thought I was a goner.

: Pufft Pufft.

: The Sea Spirits aren't so mean-spirited as to get angry at this. Anyway, you guys are sailors, too. So kwitcher yakkin' and get to work.

: Yes, Sir!

: More fun than swabbing the decks.

: No, it isn't exactly fun. But it is a more responsible job. Storms and icebergs aren't the only dangers at sea. We might get attacked by Lilly the Skull or other pirates! I think she moved somewhere else quite a while ago, though.

: Right. Justin keeps on failing at things, so he needs to pay attention.

: I know, I know. I just failed a little, but I don't wanna be thrown overboard in a barrel.

: No stowaways. Don't pollute the sea. Don't spill blood in fights. Just follow these three rules and work hard. That's all.

: Huh? So you'll be my own sworn brother! Wow! I'll work ya hard, so get ready! I'll make you able to repair any crane anywhere in the world! Gah hahahahaha! All the famous people in the world certainly must be good at handling cranes!

: You are so right! I am so relieved!

: Gosh, I thought I was a goner!

: I bet you did. But now that you are sailors, you must work hard! Since you're sailors, you've become one of us. We're gonna work you to the bone.

: Please be gentle.

And finally...

(polsy link)

In case you are curious how this minigame goes if you don't suck play it frame-by-frame with savestates.

Whew. Tune in next time for... more steamer NPCs.

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 11, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

And the proper update.

----

Welcome back!

"Do you want to advance the plot, or talk to more NPCs?"

: I'm bushed, so let's turn in.

For the record, that last screenshot was on frame 300.

This one was frame 54,000

: Whaaaaat!? Not swabbing the decks again! We're the heroes who saved the ship.

: Of course you're heroes! But you're still apprentice sailors, right? So go to sleep!

: Justin, good morning! Let's go swab the deck.

On the way up, though...

: Too bad. You're fired as sailors! You don't have to swab the decks!

I love how even Puffy goes bug-eyed in Sue's flinch animation.

: What for!? We were working so hard!

: Ah ha ha ha ha ha! What are those faces for? Just listen to me, OK? We've reached the Forbidden Land, Eureka! New World, Elencia! This voyage is at is end!

: Huh!?

: Ah ha ha ha ha! Look, go up to the bow. You can see the New World!

: I can see it! There it is!

: Huh!? Wait up, Justin!

: Say, Justin! With that much space, you can do a lot of adventures!

: Puff Puff Puff!

: Ah hahaha, Puffy. Don't worry. There's plenty of delicious food there. Right, Justin?

: Say, are you listening, Justin? Yoo-hoo, Justin?

Sue turns to face Justin when saying this.

: Oh. I heard you, Sue.

: The New World... we're really here!

: ...... I can't wait to find out what's out there for us, Justin.

You either have a sliver of boat at the bottom or a very obvious tiling seam in the background. Since the focus is on those brown pixels, I figured I'd make that look as best as I can.

Especially considering it mysteriously vanishes as soon as Feena appears.

: Hi, Feena!

: Ahh. New Parm. It's been a while.

: You two, is this your first time to the New World?

I do like when the faces on the sprites match up with the portraits.

: Continent of dreams and hopes...!

: I know your dreams will come true, Justin!

: Say, Justin! Get ready to go ashore!

: Tell me when you're going ashore! I'll go with you!

Frame 66500...

... and frame 97000.

I spend a long time talking to the NPCs here, is what I'm getting at.

: Great! We're finally going to land in New Parm!

: Yeah! Yippeee!

: We did it! We're the first ones here!

: Wow! We really did it! We've come to a new land!

: You're right!

: Now, I can finally start the great adventure I've been dreaming about! Oh! I can't wait!

: Puff! Puff!

: I'm going to the Adventurers Society. I've got an intro letter from my Mom.

: Oh. The Adventurers Society. You mentioned that before.

: I guess this is where we say good-bye.

: Eh? Aren't you comeing with us, Feena?

: Sorry, but I have a reason.

: If you like, come see me at my house. Just take the road from New Parm and follow the Merrill Road.

: OK. As soon as I get the chance, I'll be sure to go visit you!

: Good-bye, Feena!

On her way out, Feena stops suddenly.

Also, those drat seagulls keep on getting in the way.

: Oh, no!

: What's the matter, Feena?

: Um... I forgot something important.

: Huh? What for...?

: It's OK, just raise your hand. Come on, hurry!

: Hmm... just as I thought. ♥

: Well, here goes.

Goddamn photobombing seagull.

: Feena!

: I get it! The adventurer's greeting! Cool, isn't it, Justin!

: Hmm... Justin, you seem to have what it takes to be an adventurer.

: How about another adventure sometime! Well, time to say good-bye. May the Force be with you you have the protection of the Spirits on your great adventure!

And with that, she walks off, leaving us with even more NPCs to chat with. We'll just be visiting one this time, though.

: Oh, no, you've found me! Please! Don't tell anyone!

: Huh? I heard a voice....

: Hey! It's that old man, the stowaway from the ship!

This event doesn't trigger if you don't find out about the old man being a stowaway.

: Oh! You're that boy I met before! Thanks for keeping quiet just then. Here's a token of my appreciation.

That sounds helpful.

: OK, I'm counting on you. Now please go away.

Yeah, that's helpful. Now to plop it into the Stashing Place and forget about it until long after it's no longer useful. :v:

This place seems important.

: Some business? Well, yes, I want to become an adventurer.

: Oh, no, what a hassle. The procedure is to go to our main office, in the plaza at the town center. (Yawn) Persistent, aren't you? Look, this here's a setellite office. The main office is in the town center. I think they were open late yesterday. (Yaaawwn) OK, now get going. I need to get back to my noon nap. Mutter mutter mumble mumble.

: Jeez! Get a load of him! I can't believe adventurers would keep someone like that around.

Hmm. Let's go check out the main office.

And the port and town are separate places on the world map. If you look closely, you can see Feena's house, too.

Festive music!

Hmm. That staff icon looks new.

That is how we get our magic! As discussed in the spoilers above, after beating the Squid King a Mana Egg shows up in our inventory. No message, no fanfare, it just shows up in the inventory. Or the Stashing Place, if you have no free space.

Anyway, you have your choice of four spells. Burn! and Howl, we've already seen, and Heal is pretty obvious.

But Diggin', though...

It increases the Defense level for the whole party. Handy, but so are the others. I'll go over more details later.

Anyway, we've got bamboo armor, turticamel shell shields, cowboy hats, and hunter's boots for sale in the armor shop. The armor and shield are straight upgrades, the hat is the same as the pirate hat, and the boots give a defense boost, but reduce movement compared to the sneakers.

I suppose this is the point where I mention the cowboy and pirate hats we have and make some comment about fanart.

The weapon shop is loaded. The ceramic sword is still available, and the great sword is better than the admiral's sword we picked up on the ship. The hunting knife there has double the attack of the paring knife. The hatchet gives a big attack boost and deals extra damage to plants. The hunter's bow has the same attack as the great sword, slightly more than the thorny whip. The iron mace....

Hits like a truck, but slows down your IP gauge. -10 ACT is a huge penalty, unless you've been using fire and swords to boost your WIT to insane levels.

WIT being Sue's main problem means that, if you vote maces for her, she'll be sticking with whatever she was using on the ship.

The item shop also sells a few interesting things. The earrings provide a defense increase and resist poison. The dried fish, bamboo shoots, and beef jerky all heal a single person. Antidotes cure poison, as in every JRPG ever, the first aid kit heals the same amount as beef jerky, 60 HP, to the whole party, and we saw the smarna weeds on the ship.

The roach bombs are like grenades, only twice as powerful and effective on insects. The truffle inflicts confusion on one enemy.

Before we go to the Adventurer's Society, though, we have something important to do.

: Guess what? We came from Parm!

: Really? All the way from Parm? I have a pen pal in Parm. (cough) Her name's Francois. Do you know her?

If we hadn't picked up the letter, Justin would say no here, and we'd feel bad forever. Since we did, though...

: Hmm? Fran...cois...?

: I remember! The old man's letter! Is your name Clara?

: Yes. (cough) She's a good friend. Helps to cheer me up, sick as I am. What's this about an old man's letter?

: Heh heh heh. Oh, nothing.

: Here it is! It's from Francois. She asked us to bring it to you!

: My, thank you! Let's see... "To my dearest Clara"... (cough, cough)

: Hey, are you all right? Is something wrong with you, ma'am?

: ... (cough) In my last letter, I said I don't get out of the house much. And then... she says she asked you two to be friends with me. ♥ (cough, cough) You know, I've never traveled, really. I'd love to hear about your travels. Hee hee... then I need to write Francois and tell her I've made two new friends. ♥

: I'm happy, too! You're the second new friend I've made here in New Parm, after Feena.

: Hee hee... I should write to Francois right away and tell her. ♥

: The old man really is nice! He did say that pretending to be a girl is a literary device.

And that's that.

And finally, we're here.

: At the Adventurers Society, we've set up all kinds of adventures to meet the needs of our dear customers!

: Set up adventures? I'm not sure what you mean.

: Well, anyway! We'd like to go to Alent and see the Angelou Civilization.

: Alent, for the Angelou Civilization? I'm afraid we haven't prepared any tours for that area. But if you'd like to see some ruins from Angelou, you can go to the Dom Ruins, south of New Parm.

: That's fine! We're sure to find something goof if we go to the Dom Ruins! How do we get there?

: Unfortunately, we've found that the Dom Ruins tour is kind of dangerous, so we don't send tours there any more.

"Kind of dangerous", she says.

: You don't go because it's dangerous? An adventure should be dangerous!

: Hmm... sounds like you want to be an adventurer. Is that right? Come on, is that right or not? Then you need to be a member of the Society. You need the president's OK. He's back there, in the office.

: If we become members, will they guide us to the Dom Ruins?

: I'm afraid no one goes THERE now. Once you're a member, you get a map of Elencia. You can go on your own. Oh, one more thing. If he asks for a password, it's "I'm Mr. Pakon's servant, uh-yup." Got it?

: Mr. Pakon...? My mother's letter is addressed to a "Mr. Gauss".

: The President's office is back there. Please be honest and polite with the President, OK? ♥ If you're rude to Mr. Pakon, you won't become an Adventurers Society member. So don't say anything to upset him.

: I'm Mr. Pakon's servant, uh-yup!

... I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

That... is an awful lot of Feena.

Thaaaaaat explains it.

: Huh?! YOU are the president?! You must be joking!

: I thought the Adventurers Society President was a Mr. Gauss.

: Gauss was my daddy. He died a long time ago. Now I'M the president, uh-yup!

: Really? I mean, uh, so you are.

: Justin, don't forget to ask about joining!

: Right. Well, since Gauss is dead I have no choice but to deal with this bozo.

: Anyway, we'd uh, we'd like to join the Society. How do we do that?

: Our membership's already full, uh-yup. Ya gotta get some adventurers to lend ya their adventurer's passes, uh-yup.

: Now wait just a minute! Look here, I've got a letter of introduction from my mother. My father was an adventurer. He knew Mr. Gauss.

: Hmm... so I see. So? Ya thought this piece of paper would get ya an adventurer's pass? I'M the one who decides who gets to have a pass, uh-yup yup! Just toss that piece of garbage! I made up some new adventurer's passes when I became the president, uh-yup. Clever, huh?

: Wha... what is this? It's got Feena's picture on the cover and this kitschy pink color....

: Yeah, her picture looks horrible.

: AND she's MY fiancee, uh-yup yup! We're a real lovey-dovey couple and we're gettin' married soon, uh-yup!

: No kidding. But why would Feena want to marry some clown like you?!

: Wha... hey, th... that's rude! Now I'm NEVER gonna let YOU into MY Adventurers Society, uh-yup!

: Don't act so big, dude! You're just my servant, uh-yup!

: Wha... what!? Your servant!? Since when did I become your servant?!

: Since before you came in here. Remember? You said "I'm Mr. Pakon's servant, uh-yup!" So there!

: Ye... yeah, but....

: I'm NEVER gonna let rude people like YOU into MY Adventurers Society! Now go home, uh-yup!

: Wow, looks like we hit a snag here. Forget the Adventurers Society! I can go on an adventure by myself!

: Nut, anyway why would Feena get engaged to someone like him?

: What do you think, Sue?

: Well, it's hard to understand, but...

: I think Feena's got bad taste.

: Even so, we don't have other plans. Let's go see Feena at her house, huh? I'm sure she'd at least lend us a map.

: To get there, we just have to leave New Parm and take the Merrill road. Com' on, Justin. Let's go!

Next time!

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 11, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Aaaand now we know why Feena avoids the Adventurer's Guild. The new president is a creepy stalker. :ohdear:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You have a couple missing images in there. Search for "NewParmClara" and "JustinConfused".

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Pakon is perhaps the single greatest argument against hereditary rule. ...well, no, I take that back. Joffrey Baratheon takes that cake.

The game actually does get rid of Lilly's Letter after Pakon says to throw it away. Guess he really is Pakon's servant if he's willing to pitch his mother's encouragement on the word of clownface there. :downs:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Pakon is perhaps the single greatest argument against hereditary rule. ...well, no, I take that back. Joffrey Baratheon takes that cake.

The game actually does get rid of Lilly's Letter after Pakon says to throw it away. Guess he really is Pakon's servant if he's willing to pitch his mother's encouragement on the word of clownface there. :downs:

Well technically Joffrey shouldn't have inherited based on hereditary, so it looks like Pakon gets to hold onto the title of king fuckwit. Good for him.

If he's actually Feena's fiancee in the literal sense, and not Feena's fiancee in the same way I'm a millionaire playboy (i.e in my dreams), then there's gotta be a story there

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I saw the big Feena poster on the left but never realized the right wall is also filled with (really low-res) Feena portraits, and the doll... :gonk:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Merill Road is a bitch, of due note. Hope you remembered to pack antidotes.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

You have a couple missing images in there. Search for "NewParmClara" and "JustinConfused".

Whoops. Fixed.

Although I am glad you didn't catch the first version, where none of the NPC portraits were actually part of it. :v:

Bufuman posted:

That is one thing I half-like about this game, the way it can use key items from the Stashing Place and takes them away as soon as they're no longer needed.

The flip side to that, though, is "Why bother making them take up inventory space in the first place?"

Petiso posted:

I saw the big Feena poster on the left but never realized the right wall is also filled with (really low-res) Feena portraits, and the doll... :gonk:

There's a lot of little things like that. This game did not skimp on the details.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Merill Road is a bitch, of due note. Hope you remembered to pack antidotes.

I'll grab some once I head out there.

Speaking of...

Poll Time!

In addition to our usual weapon choices Sword, Mace, or Axe for Justin, and Mace or Bow for Sue, we also have a Mana Egg to spend.

In order to prevent an 11-way poll, I'm going to give the first few straight to Sue. Why Sue? Well, because she has fewer options for raising stats and fewer techniques than Justin, and multiple elements on one character are required to really show off the magic system.

So, to that end, Fire, Earth, Water, or Wind magic to Sue.

A brief recap:
All spells provide +2 MP per level, distributed randomly among the three levels of MP.

Fire's spell is "Burn!", dealing damage in a small AoE. It also gives +1 Wit per level, making turns come up faster. This is the only way for Sue to boost Wit.
Wind's spell is "Howl", dealing less damage but in a larger AoE. It also gives +1 Agi per level, increasing running speed. Very few characters have a way to boost Agi aside from this.
Water's spell is "Heal", which heals one character. It also boosts Max HP by 1 per level, useful on anyone.
Earth's spell is "Diggin'", which buffs the defense of the party. Each Earth level boosts Strength by 1.

And current stats:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Axes and Maces, gotta grind those up to par. Also, get Wind magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Axes for Justin, Bows for Sue, and Earth for our Mana Egg. Sue will smite everyone with her commanding strength!!

• Locked thread