Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
He's not a stabbin hobo he's a quarterbackin hobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

quote:

@AlbertBreer 14m

4) Texans QB Tom Savage could eventually see time this year. Looked good in spring. Big thing is ability to maintain it v. live competition.

Poor Andre :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's not like we didn't already know the QB situation is bad

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

It's not like we didn't already know the QB situation is bad

:ssh:, I need to hear more about how lovely the situation is in Houston, so I can admire how badly the Vikings trolled the Texans in the draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The consensus seems to be that the Texans weren't going to draft Bridgewater even if the Vikings hadn't traded up

That could just be the denial talking, though

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

The consensus seems to be that the Texans weren't going to draft Bridgewater even if the Vikings hadn't traded up

That could just be the denial talking, though

Your denial could write a fiction trilogy that they would make into 4 movies anyway.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I, uh... what?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I, uh... what?

I was just saying there's no way they don't draft Bridgewater at 33. BPA, Need... doesn't matter your draft strategy, if a 1st round grade QB is there at 33 and you need a QB... you take him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

While I somewhat agree, they might just not have had that high of a grade on him.

For example, Jimmy Clausen.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was absolutely mad the Vikings traded up to get Teddy, what I was referring to was that people with contacts in the organization like John McClain or Tania Ganguli implied that the Texans weren't going to take him anyway

Garoppolo is the one who was actually a target that got yanked out before they could draft him

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

While I somewhat agree, they might just not have had that high of a grade on him.

For example, Jimmy Clausen.

"If he drops to the 4th round, we'll consider it. If he's not there... I don't know, Tom Svavarge? Is that his name? Who cares, none of these guys is Andy Luck II."

Intruder posted:

I was absolutely mad the Vikings traded up to get Teddy, what I was referring to was that people with contacts in the organization like John McClain or Tania Ganguli implied that the Texans weren't going to take him anyway

Garoppolo is the one who was actually a target that got yanked out before they could draft him

Didn't he go to the Patriots?

If all of that is true, then the Patriots are the real trolls; as they not only didn't trade Ryan Mallet, but also took the only QB that Houston was targeting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

I really wish you had gotten him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

By not trading Mallett and drafting Garoppolo, the Patriots were really just trolling themselves

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

By not trading Mallett and drafting Garoppolo, the Patriots were really just trolling themselves

You're probably right about that.

The Patriots usually only carry 2 QB's, so not trading Mallet was pretty loving stupid, even if the best they could get was a conditional 7th.

Unless the plan was to stash Garoppolo on the practice squad all along.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I'm going to the Cowboys training camp today. I've never been to a camp before, so I don't know what exactly to expect, but I am starved for football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zypher posted:

I'm going to the Cowboys training camp today. I've never been to a camp before, so I don't know what exactly to expect, but I am starved for football.

It's gonna be hella boring and not worth driving to Oxnard, just as a heads up.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gettleman: G Edmund Kugbila will have back surgery in NY Aug. 8 and out for the year.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Leon Hall, who tore his Achilles against the Lions in week 7, will practice today.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Zypher posted:

Just watch Dez Bryant. He's usually a freak at practices.. otherwise it's boring. Also watch out for one of the local DFW radio stations looking to troll people.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
1st ACL of camp?

quote:

John Harbaugh said CB Aaron Ross tore Achilles during conditioning test this morning. Out for season. #RavensTalk

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Chilichimp posted:

You're probably right about that.

The Patriots usually only carry 2 QB's, so not trading Mallet was pretty loving stupid, even if the best they could get was a conditional 7th.

Unless the plan was to stash Garoppolo on the practice squad all along.

I think the plan is to just hope he does well enough for a compensatory pick after he gets released next year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

davecrazy posted:

1st ACL of camp?

Well, no....

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

davecrazy posted:

1st ACL of camp?

ACLs and Achilles are different things.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

N: Jonathan Stewart pulled hamstring
V: the panthers offense

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That probably won't affect the Panthers offense all that much.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Kugbila and Stewart already out sweet. Get that out of the way early.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

It went from being pretty much dogshit to being very likely dogshit.

turbomoose posted:

I think the plan is to just hope he does well enough for a compensatory pick after he gets released next year.

Can you get comp picks for releasing a back-up quarterback? I guess it depends entirely on where he catches on and if he becomes a Primary somewhere.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

Neither player played last year in any meaningful capacity. It will not impact the Panthers offense at all.

It's not like they lack for options at running back. Give Tolbert 200 carries for gently caress's sake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIibC_wlwQ

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Neither player played last year in any meaningful capacity. It will not impact the Panthers offense at all.

It's not like they lack for options at running back. Give Tolbert 200 carries for gently caress's sake.

I know, it just feel like the expectations for the Panthers keep taking nut-shots.

Also, Mike Tolbert owns. That rookie should have known better.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Training Camp shirt

Gonna save that hideous shirt image for when the team is 3-13.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Chilichimp posted:

Can you get comp picks for releasing a back-up quarterback? I guess it depends entirely on where he catches on and if he becomes a Primary somewhere.

You only get comp picks from letting guys walk in FA, not by releasing them.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

You don't get anything if you release him

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Some fan hung a sign that said "AJ to AJ the future is now" at Bengals camp.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
They also hung a "Don't Sign Dalton He Sucks" sign.

I hate AJ McCarron so much.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Everybody who complains about their quality quarterback because they think whatever trash they can find in the draft will be just as good (or better, because they'll be able to do <thing QB we have doesn't> almost immediately) deserves an AJ McCarron quality QB.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

Aren't the Panthers also supposed to be high on that running back we took this year in the draft? Damned if I am looking him up.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sammy=Randy obv

quote:

He doesn't just excel at catching flashy deep balls. The Bills have sent Watkins across the middle and he's executed in that part of the field, using his long arms and soft hands to reel in one pass over a linebacker on Monday.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

You don't get anything if you release him

ShakeZula posted:

You only get comp picks from letting guys walk in FA, not by releasing them.

Well, yeah, I used the wrong word, but in this discussion we're talking about allowing him to walk next year when his contract expires.

The question is... does releasing a back-up QB get you a comp pick? There's a lot of factors that go into it, like, round the dude was drafted, what he gets paid when he moves on... but glaringly... his performance before he was allowed to leave.

How do you gauge the performance of a back-up QB? He seems to hold that clipboard firmly, and didn't look like an impatient dick... or overly excited when the starter got sacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Chilichimp posted:

Well, yeah, I used the wrong word, but in this discussion we're talking about allowing him to walk next year when his contract expires.

The question is... does releasing a back-up QB get you a comp pick? There's a lot of factors that go into it, like, round the dude was drafted, what he gets paid when he moves on... but glaringly... his performance before he was allowed to leave.

How do you gauge the performance of a back-up QB? He seems to hold that clipboard firmly, and didn't look like an impatient dick... or overly excited when the starter got sacked.

I think it's almost entirely dependent on the contract he gets when he leaves. Mallett may convince some other team to sign him to a starter-level contract, which would garner a better comp pick, but I don't think how much playing time he sees/quality of play affects the pick level (see: Walden, Erik). Being a QB, his baseline pay is going to be higher than some backup DB or Olineman, making the chances greater.

• Locked thread