Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Morholt posted:

DoomRL is p much the best oldschool RL nowadays

also caves of qud is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

skull wall posted:

Just because a lot of games that are "roguelike" are bad doesn't make them all bad.

also it's become a pretty loose term now anyway.

DCSS is fun until you get banished to the Abyss because you thought you could walk into a new room

the abyss is EXTREMELY fun.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Ppl keep calling arcade games roguelikes because you only get one life and the levels are procedurally generated...Smh

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

mango gay touchies posted:

nuclear throne is a roguelike I guess, go play it

The devs have adopted the term "procedural death labyrinth" for it because, well it's not really much LIKE rogue at all.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i really like spelunky's level design algorithm, it feels pretty good compared to a lot of games like it

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

also caves of qud is really good

It's bad.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Play DoomRL, even if you don't normally like dungeoncrawl roguelikes or whatever it is incredible how well they translated doom into a different genre and it still works, Even back when it was ASCII, the gibs from your enemies slowly painting the level red was amazing and the tileset makes it even better.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Minrad posted:

Risk of Rain is pretty loving legit, and fun, and the "roguelike" mechanics are so paper thin it just adds to the actual game

yeah i like that game a lot

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

SeXReX posted:

The devs have adopted the term "procedural death labyrinth" for it because, well it's not really much LIKE rogue at all.

I'll call it whatever people want me to as long as they start playing it

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Cobweb Heart posted:

Because the majority of people who play and make games are loving stupid and every mechanic that can possibly result in fun will inevitably be copied by a multitude of lazy games in lovely ways. Roguelikes can be fun and often make for hilarious internet stories, therefore more people will get into them as time goes on, therefore more stupid people will become familiar with surface-level design tropes, and therefore more of those will be terribly co-opted into a trash game for idiot scum. On the plus side, more people are making games and expressing themselves with them, and that's awesome. On the downside, more goddamn retards will fill the earth with their wretched spawn, false gamers gaming for the sake of trends, more painted masterpieces for a billion monkeys to study before they fling poo poo on a canvas and call it art. Instead of Steam, I like to call it Shart, because that's what it's full of. I look up from the table and meet your eyes - another natural 20 for me, my friend. What can you say to that, you loving fakes??

I always thought that "shart" was a combination of "poo poo" and "fart."

Or a Welsh guy saying "shirt."

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Nice catch.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I like ToME, it isn't nearly perfect, but it's improving patch by patch and I feel like one day all classes will have interesting and varied gameplay, but not too many do atm. chronomancy update coming up is looking great and interesting, which is good because current chronomancy classes are kind of boring to actually play.

Also I hope Binding of isaac: rebirth will be good, it seems leaps and bounds better than binding of isaac so far.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

crawl is good

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

No Such Thing posted:

pfft. roguelike mechanics are so last year. now it's all about first person puzzlers and half ironic simulators.
first person puzzlers and half ironic simulators are so over. now it's all about games that deliver a socially beneficial message and empower minority game developers* **

*and if you disagree you are a horrible gross person and i'm blocking you on twitter

**this was a joke

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

EightFlyingCars posted:

Woah seriously? You can do that? Cool.

If it works I'll get back to you this weekend or something

It's a long as gently caress password so here it goes!

code:
G4S!J 2723 H88PS
0JSJ5 RJJS 13C78
S58P6 43W8 RJVW6
QZ2!4 RNRY PVK00
tia

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fellis posted:

Play DoomRL, even if you don't normally like dungeoncrawl roguelikes or whatever it is incredible how well they translated doom into a different genre and it still works, Even back when it was ASCII, the gibs from your enemies slowly painting the level red was amazing and the tileset makes it even better.

http://doom.chaosforge.org/

You can still run it in ASCII.

The ASCII is actually better than the tiles because you can see the whole level at once instead of having to constantly pan around with your mouse.

Also because playing roguelikes in ASCII mode lets you call tiles players filthy casuals.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

so answer me this, what roguelikes are on the same level of approachability as ToME?

and don't say DCSS because that's a fuckin lie

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

so answer me this, what roguelikes are on the same level of approachability as ToME?

and don't say DCSS because that's a fuckin lie

I wondered for a sec why anyone would think ToME was approachable then I realized it was because it doesn't have standard permadeath.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

I wondered for a sec why anyone would think ToME was approachable then I realized it was because it doesn't have standard permadeath.

actually that was never really an issue, it was just a whole lot easier to learn

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

no faffing around with consumables, a really easy approach to skills and using them, not nearly as much cryptic bullshit

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think it's easy to learn at all, you have to be really careful about your skill choices and even now I still end up looking up winning games to determine my builds. It's accessible in the sense that it's heavily influenced by popular mainstream games, (WoW and Diablo), and that some of the features new roguelike players struggle with are removed, (standard permadeath, consumables, ID game, etc.), but it's still pretty inaccessible. Have you won yet?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think it's easy to learn at all, you have to be really careful about your skill choices and even now I still end up looking up winning games to determine my builds. It's accessible in the sense that it's heavily influenced by popular mainstream games, (WoW and Diablo), and that some of the features new roguelike players struggle with are removed, (standard permadeath, consumables, ID game, etc.), but it's still pretty inaccessible. Have you won yet?

i have

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

no faffing around with consumables, a really easy approach to skills and using them, not nearly as much cryptic bullshit

The skills are nightmare IMO because they're completely imbalanced and without either a lot of practice or actually sitting down and doing the math it's not at all clear what the optimal paths are. Crawl is much much better at it because you can literally just ignore the skill system entirely since the skills that go up are the skills you use, (most experienced players don't do this but I won my first games that way and I know at least one veteran player/dev who says it works fine). Also not sure what the cryptic bullshit is here.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Okay now win on roguelike mode :D

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

The skills are nightmare IMO because they're completely imbalanced and without either a lot of practice or actually sitting down and doing the math it's not at all clear what the optimal paths are. Crawl is much much better at it because you can literally just ignore the skill system entirely since the skills that go up are the skills you use, (most experienced players don't do this but I won my first games that way and I know at least one veteran player/dev who says it works fine). Also not sure what the cryptic bullshit is here.

yeah, the skill balance is Bad.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

Okay now win on roguelike mode :D

i was playing with no permadeath on but didn't die so does that count?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

i was playing with no permadeath on but didn't die so does that count?

Close enough I guess.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

it was still a difficult game to approach don't get me wrong but compared to most roguelikes it was an easy game to learn.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

What combo did you win?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

What combo did you win?

i played a Dwarf Arcane/Earth/Fire Archmage

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

i recently tried to make an Earth/Stone/Light Archmage that I felt was a bit more true to what I wanted my first run but i was really disappointed to learn how necessary fire and arcane are to an archmage

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I still haven't figured out archmages but I find summoners and alchemists insanely easy.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure if you sat down and worked on a combo in Crawl you could win it as quickly as you won ToME. Probably quicker, took me 3 months to win Crawl compared to like a year for ToME (granted in roguelike mode and playing less).

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

I still haven't figured out archmages but I find summoners and alchemists insanely easy.

it's definitely fun but there are very few build options

also apparently wildfire is OP as hell

one of my main gripes with ToME is the lack of build options for just about every class, due to the hilariously poor skill balance. so many poop tier skills.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

it's definitely fun but there are very few build options

also apparently wildfire is OP as hell

one of my main gripes with ToME is the lack of build options for just about every class, due to the hilariously poor skill balance. so many poop tier skills.

Yeah it's real stupid and one of main turnoffs for me, the other one being that it's 4 str 4 stam leather belt nonstop.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

I'm pretty sure if you sat down and worked on a combo in Crawl you could win it as quickly as you won ToME. Probably quicker, took me 3 months to win Crawl compared to like a year for ToME (granted in roguelike mode and playing less).

dang man it only took me a month to win in ToME but and I think that amounts to the time I spent trying to learn Crawl without coming away with much. ToME just resonated a lot more with me, and i think that has a lot to do with managing consumables because i really hate managing consumables, i could just focus on what i love: tactical combat

i tried looking up Crawl videos on youtube and they're all about as exciting as you'd expect. i just don't GET that game and I even tried to parse the wiki but there's SO MUCH in that game that i couldn't even crack the shell, it was just so unapproachable.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Oh and the fundamental flaw is that 98% of the time you just cruise along effortlessly with no risk until you meet a nasty unique that pwns you.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i just played some Hack Slash Loot and it manages to have all the unapproachability and nightmarish gui of a early 90s dos dungeon crawler with none of the charm, that's the RogueLike Report

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

Oh and the fundamental flaw is that 98% of the time you just cruise along effortlessly with no risk until you meet a nasty unique that pwns you.

i would not have won without this one item that made that bullshit fire realm heal me instead of hurt me, and also Stone Wall, which buys you time to recover.

on a different run with a Wyrmic i was able to defeat that bullshit room full of level 63 dragons or whatever, had to pull them one at a time and cycle CC and it was tedious as all gently caress but i did it and i got a shiny achievement

that wyrmic almost beat the game, but i fought a unique with the bullshit fire realm ability that had infinite mana (which means you stay there until it dies, and the fire realm heals it) so i died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Thug Lessons posted:

this is basically why i stopped playing ToME, along with how boring the early game had gotten before i got mercilessly wrecked midgame by one of them

• Locked thread