Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Xibanya, whip up some rope if you can for practice swords, that way in the absence of pubbies we may beat the poo poo out of each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
The lag on the Australia server is causing some problems, so I set up another in Dallas. I'll put a password on it later and list it on PGS:

Server Name: {DALLAS} Dogpit Does Dallas

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!
Glad someone made a thread for this finally. I was thinking of doing something (despite not owning the game) but since I made the initial threads for both Xsyon and Dawntide I was worried I might be a jinx. I'm definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

Xibanya posted:

Terraforming
Winner: LiF
In Wurm you have to deal with what corner you're standing on and the only way to see if everything is level is to eyeball it. Honestly, it's maddening. LiF has more intuitive terraforming controls and even a tool that lets you know if a tile is level. The one downside is that you can't drop dirt without having a shovel equipped. Wtf. Well, one upside Wurm has is that you can raise or lower any of a square's four corners leading to greater possible customization, but I'll take LiF's terraforming system as it is far less frustrating.
Not sure what your digging skill is but at 15 you can see that a tile is flat by hovering the mouse over it while having a shovel activated and you can see border slopes the same way.

Xibanya posted:

Construction
Winner: Wurm
In Wurm you can construct any shape of building you want except a doughnut (so you can't keep your village token out of reach in pvp). In LiF you can only make prefab house plans and can't make your own. Also LiF is really anal about every tile you build on being perfectly flat, whereas in Wurm it just has to be mostly flat, probably because terraforming in Wurm makes you want to shoot yourself.
Tiles have to be perfectly flat in Wurm too, ever since multi-story houses was added. You can also make donut-shaped houses now.

Also, I thought LiF had modular houses? Or is that just something still in the planning stages?

Xibanya posted:

Oh yeah, and check out this pretty highway made with half tiles in wurm:

Goon-made, BTW.

Xibanya posted:

Mining/Forging
Winner: Wurm
When mining in LiF, the game forces you to put all the displaced material in your inventory, meaning you periodically have to run somewhere to dump it out. In Wurm it sits as rubble on the ground for you to pick up later. LiF's system is loving annoying and makes all tunneling a bigger loving chore than it should be. Similarly, as the forge in LiF only holds a wee bit of material, Wurm's system is way more manageable. Oh yeah, and to forge in LiF you have to have a super high level in mining so you can have a super high level in smelting so you can forge, forcing you to take skill levels in stuff you don't actually want to waste skill points in. In Wurm if you were in a village with friends and someone gave you the equipment you needed to smelt, you wouldn't have to have any skill levels at all in mining. In this sense I feel LiF is going against it's stated goal of specialization.
One point in LiF's favor has to be 3D mines. But the rest sounds awful.

Xibanya posted:

That said, with so many points to Wurm, why am I bothering with LiF?
1. grinding
Wurm is so so so loving grindy. You literally have to spend at least 40 hrs of unfun grinding before you can do anything remotely fun like making a shitshack. Wurm is loving hard to start with, all the mobs will loving murder you until you've put in like 50+ hrs of grinding.
Personally I think this is entirely the choice of the player. Since I started playing at BBM I've probably grinded for maybe 5-10 hours total. All other skill gains were just from doing stuff that I wanted/needed to do anyway. I've never understood the compulsion to grind. I'd rather just quit.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Me and another goon have established ourselves in a US 64 player server (KC Banana-something something, can't remember the exact name but it has KC and Banana in the name, pretty easy to discern) and have already slayed two pubby bandits and claimed an abandoned building cluster that can accommodate 7 or so people. I have the ability to outfit everyone with chainmail and pitchforks right from the get-go as long as you have 30 warhorse handling (make sure to spec this at the beginning, there is no way to get this skill yet ingame but is required for chain)

Tomorrow we are planning on putting up palisades, making a gate, and getting started on leather for proper weapons and armor, but if anyone wants to join feel free. There are even lots of roleplaying publords to mess with and plenty of violent action. As soon as the palisade is up we can focus more on the production side and less on the defensive side.

(our names are Friar Cuck and Celebrity Chef Doobie if you get in, the land of Goondor is the most GBS of kingdoms)

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 8, 2014

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Finally a LiF thread :)

I am currently playing on a friendly server in the UK lifeisfeudal.co.uk PVE, its really nice with nice people playing we have a Teamspeak as well,

Only problem is griefers stealing all your stuff

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

In what way is this game PvE.

Do you just hunt down all the wolves?

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
So far I've enjoyed what they've got going on. I really feel like this is what Wurm was supposed to be, I wish Rolf could have pulled it off but I just can't see a Java based game that is also so tedious getting any better. If anyone wants to play with some fellow goons let me know, Justin Tyme and I have a decent little settlement going up on the KC Banana Stand server.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Dedicated goon server thread here.

With password.

Also I was looking at my local LiF folders to reset my configs due to an audio bug and it appears this game is moddable -- I then checked the official FAQ and the devs say they encourage it as long as you don't try to sell it. I'm seeing huge potential for improvement just on player side here - for example, right now there's no texture for a paved road. Would be great to mod in the texture from Wurm. I'll try dicking around with it a bit and see what I can do. At last, a potentially interesting use of my database skills outside of work!

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 8, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Paved road does have a texture. It's grass with large slabs of stone for that medieval feel. I tried out to pave earlier today.

When digging for clay I spotted a moose. Of course I began walking towards it, axe in hand and when the cowardly thing ran away (instead of kicking, trampling or goring me to death) I gave chase. Unfortunately the bastard ran right past a wolf who chewed on my stomach so I stopped to hack away at it. Good god the combat system is awful. It almost felt like Morrowind all over again. Anyway it turns out wolves will attempt to flee after taking enough damage and I chased the bastard around three quarters of the lake before I managed to hit it enough to kill it. Apparently you are perfectly fine until the last hit point. Then I couldn't do poo poo with the carcass. Welp. Do you need hunting at 60 or something to rip off their skin and innards?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Poil posted:

When digging for clay I spotted a moose. Of course I began walking towards it, axe in hand and when the cowardly thing ran away (instead of kicking, trampling or goring me to death) I gave chase. Unfortunately the bastard ran right past a wolf who chewed on my stomach so I stopped to hack away at it. Good god the combat system is awful. It almost felt like Morrowind all over again. Anyway it turns out wolves will attempt to flee after taking enough damage and I chased the bastard around three quarters of the lake before I managed to hit it enough to kill it. Apparently you are perfectly fine until the last hit point. Then I couldn't do poo poo with the carcass. Welp. Do you need hunting at 60 or something to rip off their skin and innards?

There's no skill requirement for skinning a carcass, but you need a knife. You can make a primitive knife with flint/stone/sticks.

Also it looks like there's a wound system for players where taking damage can cause bleeding or reduce stats for an extended period of time, but I guess it doesn't apply to mobs. I've also discovered that your character will pass out at 0 hitpoints, but will eventually recover after a minute or two if nothing keeps attacking.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Whenever I pave it shows a black (obviously wrong) tile. Weird. I'll upload a screenshot later.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I wish there was a way to invert combat controls, right now it's M&B but completely backwards. Also it'd be nice if you could wind up for an attack relatively quickly (like M&B) but attack speed was still as it is now. It feels less like you are in precise control at the moment and more like you have control over flailing wildly.

I'm about a quarter of the way to being able to throw up palisades, once I am there our fort shall begin. Still looking for more people if anyone wants to play on a pvp-encouraged publord server

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 9, 2014

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You can invert.

Supposedly, palisades are worthless right now due to a bug in the game and you can get over them easily.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Lord Yod posted:

In what way is this game PvE.

Do you just hunt down all the wolves?

You get banned for killing other players or stealing their stuff (and getting caught)

The only killing of players you are allowed is to defend your stuff.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

basically just don't go on "RP" servers and you can have a killy good time

or go on RP servers and kill enjoying the meltdown before you get banned

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The KC Banana Stand server we are on is light RP but PVP encouraged. In fact I think the admins are straight up trying to stir strife by roleplaying tax collectors/causing rebellion. Not like we care in our hermit town anyway.

Does anyone know if you can carry fully-loaded carts? I know you can't actually pull them yet, but if you can carry them, theoretically you can still use them by being the dumbest dark age idiot incredible-hulk barbarian ever by carrying the cart on your back instead of pulling it. It would be useful for moving bulk building logs and ore at least.

Can ore/dirt even be loaded into carts? If so, what's the cart's weight capacity?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

TheresaJayne posted:

You get banned for killing other players or stealing their stuff (and getting caught)

The only killing of players you are allowed is to defend your stuff.

That is incredibly stupid. Wolves are the only thing that can hurt you, besides other players. You could jump from 100 feet up and land on rocks, or stay underwater in the ocean for an hour and you won't die. For wolves, you just kite them to the water and hit them because they won't go in. Then, everyone is going to be cooperatively building their own bases, which is going to lag the server and cause extreme lag.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

Xibanya posted:

Whenever I pave it shows a black (obviously wrong) tile. Weird. I'll upload a screenshot later.

The tiles also seem to turn black whenever you plant crops, they must not have it textured right yet or maybe it's just missing texture. I know I have to turn my graphics all the way down so I don't lag, even though my computer isn't poo poo.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game looks spergy as hell and retarded

purchased.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
We've got a decent little village up now, only about three of us though. If anyone else is getting the game or looking for some goons to play with message Justin Tyme, we're finally to the point where we can start raiding other people.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Acquiring flux is a complete pain in the rear. Getting the right herbs is so unreliable and that's not even all the endless guesswork to figure out the combinations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

GreaseGunner posted:

We've got a decent little village up now, only about three of us though. If anyone else is getting the game or looking for some goons to play with message Justin Tyme, we're finally to the point where we can start raiding other people.

Join Ye Olde Detroit also if you have the time, we've got lots of folks and a nice little goon village. I'm planning to post a bit on the official forums to see if we can snare some more pubbies. I think our goon village has at least 6 people active.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

Xibanya posted:

Join Ye Olde Detroit also if you have the time, we've got lots of folks and a nice little goon village. I'm planning to post a bit on the official forums to see if we can snare some more pubbies. I think our goon village has at least 6 people active.

How many other people on the server though? Getting a little bored, gotta slay raid more.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Poil posted:

Acquiring flux is a complete pain in the rear. Getting the right herbs is so unreliable and that's not even all the endless guesswork to figure out the combinations.

and you cant wiki it as everyone gets something different from different herbs

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

TheresaJayne posted:

and you cant wiki it as everyone gets something different from different herbs

That' actually a good thing. If you have enough people in your group then almost every herb you gather can be converted into flux. If not by you, then by someone.

I think we're suffering from the fact that the developers are designing game mechanics for the MMO for groups of tens of people but we're all playing in groups of 4 or 5 on the alpha test version.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Patch today!!

quote:

Today’s patch is about a proper server browser along with a lot of fixes of notorious crashes, exploits and glitches.

Patch notes (ver. 0.2.2.0):
Added a proper functionality for servers browser (favorites, direct IP connect, etc.)
Console can now be toggled with Ctrl+~. That should allow usage of special letters in some languages
You can now use Tailoring to craft different outfits and clothes
Fixed “infinimoose” bug, that allowed you to skin animal corpses after each server restart
Fixed notorious client initialization crash with different 7.1 audio devices. Fixed some crashes that were related to the change of audio devices
Added some more workarounds to fix an issue when a laptop discrete video card was not used for rendering. Removed misleading video adapter option from Video options. Do not forget to update your drivers!
Added Z-axis animals attack check. Animals should no longer be able to hit you if you’re above them (on a wall, watchtower etc)
Fixed a bug, when someone entering observe or construction mode would interrupt everyone’s actions in the vicinity
Fixed some exploits that allowed you to spam certain abilities without cooldowns, which resulted in a faster skills/stats progression
Some server and client side crashes and leaks fixed
Tweaked interface and freelook sequences
Most of game settings should now be properly saved instantly and client crash should not reset them
Tweaked Coop animals breeding rates, so they can actually breed before they die
Tweaked overpowered pitchforks to be less overpowered :)

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
I have joined the bannana stand server and have infiltrated Fort Direwood. This should be fun.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I have a simple question:

Will the movement/combat/crafting in this game make me want to kill myself like Wurm did? Also is this anything more than progress bars: the game? A lot of the Sandbox games I've played fall into the category.

Apparently it's super hard for someone to just remake Wurm with a basic fluid 3rd person movement system.

VulgarandStupid posted:

everyone is going to be cooperatively building their own bases

I don't get why people who want to do this don't just go play minecraft.

Piglet posted:

Xsyon and Dawntide

dead sandbox MMO crew :(:hf::(

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 15, 2014

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

RIP Pitchfork Banditry

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I think this purchase was a great mistake. Waiting for me to make a take back on this being said in afew weeks or so.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry to hijack the thread, but anyone still playing Wurm? I downloaded it for shits and giggles and it looks neat but the wiki is pretty useless since the only beginner guide tells me how to make some food.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Extra posted:

I have a simple question:

Will the movement/combat/crafting in this game make me want to kill myself like Wurm did? Also is this anything more than progress bars: the game? A lot of the Sandbox games I've played fall into the category.

Apparently it's super hard for someone to just remake Wurm with a basic fluid 3rd person movement system.

The movement is better than Wurm - you can switch to a 3rd person camera, you can jump over obstacles, your stamina regenerates faster, and you can fall several feet without taking damage. There's no vehicles though, and mounts are not yet implemented. I haven't tried much of the combat but it uses actual physics and collision detection instead of the text-based staring matches of Wurm. There's also a mechanic for combat between organized ranks of units, but I haven't tried it out yet. The crafting interface in this game feels clunky and unfinished (especially for herbalism and smelting), but it handles multi-step crafting with large amounts of required materials better. Crafting items like mortar will generate like 5 mortar at a time instead of 1 at a time like in Wurm. It also looks like crafting tasks don't have a chance of failure, although material gathering tasks do.

Robo Reagan posted:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but anyone still playing Wurm? I downloaded it for shits and giggles and it looks neat but the wiki is pretty useless since the only beginner guide tells me how to make some food.
I've got a mid-level character on Xanadu and Chaos but haven't had the time to really commit to anything recently. There's no large goon-only villages active but a few goons are still building homesteads on Xanadu, and a few more are involved with a large PvP village on Chaos.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

BERGfu posted:

I think this purchase was a great mistake. Waiting for me to make a take back on this being said in afew weeks or so.

I'm starting to thing that too, once the initial "wow, it's Wurm but actually presentable with M&B combat" factor wears off you really start to see the glaringly negative aspects

Hopefully they fix the poo poo performance and allow for permanent groups/building access organization so multiple people can operate gates and doors because right now it's such a slog. You are literally better off burying your valuable in the woods than you are building even the biggest of walls.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I constructed a wheelbarrow. It... sort of... works? Kinda. You can open it and store 60 units in it as well as picking it up and slowly carrying it around on your back like a log.

But I did finally get my masonry up to 80 and started shoveling an area for a sawmill. Terraforming is surprisingly not as boring as you'd think. As long as the terrain you need to lower doesn't reach well above your head of course.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Atm I'm having the most fun just playing Barbie dream house and making a fun midieval town to stroll around in. With any luck though the devs will deliver.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

I was told i was recorded for combat logging and would be banned from a server. This is alos for apparently swimming around for 15 when other guys enter the water and told me I had to go to the beach so they could kill me. The amount of times I was called a pussy or human being while asking them questions about thier personal life and if they were happy was by far one of the most entertaining parts of the game i've had so far. I literally was only playing for ten minutes.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

BERGfu posted:

I was told i was recorded for combat logging and would be banned from a server. This is alos for apparently swimming around for 15 when other guys enter the water and told me I had to go to the beach so they could kill me. The amount of times I was called a pussy or human being while asking them questions about thier personal life and if they were happy was by far one of the most entertaining parts of the game i've had so far. I literally was only playing for ten minutes.

Which server is this? Sounds like a good place to roleplay a surfing and wet bikini contest.

Also my private server hasn't attracted any pubbies yet, so it's time to either come up with a better name/gimmick or just invade other servers. It looks like most of the LiF playerbase are hardcore PvP roleplaying nerds so I guess we need a name that would appeal to that kind of demographic.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

Which server is this? Sounds like a good place to roleplay a surfing and wet bikini contest.

Also my private server hasn't attracted any pubbies yet, so it's time to either come up with a better name/gimmick or just invade other servers. It looks like most of the LiF playerbase are hardcore PvP roleplaying nerds so I guess we need a name that would appeal to that kind of demographic.

Just advertise you are a PVE server no griefing allowed and they will come....

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Patch time!

quote:

Patch notes (ver. 0.2.3.0):
Fixed server crash when burning a certain type and amount of fuel in campfires/furnaces/ovens etc.
Fixed Bullet physics module. Heavily modified words (with a lot of buildings, trees and tunnels) should not crash on loading now
Fixed Fire/Extinguish GUI bug
Fixed crafting result being always Quality=100 in special crafting buildings (Blacksmith’s Shop, Herbalists’s Shop etc.) Special crafting buildings now provide a proper +20% bonus to quality of resulting items
Fixed some crashes while managing equipment and inventory with stackable items
Trees stumps should no longer produce new trees in vicinity. Enabled weather affecting speed of trees growth (trees like “shower” weather ;) )
Fixed few more rare server and client crashes

Also, I think there are pubbies on our server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piglet
Jan 22, 2002

Zub! Zub!

Robo Reagan posted:

Yes there are a few of us still playing. Some on Xanadu and some on Chaos. We're all old and tired and don't talk much and pretty much just complain about the weather.

• Locked thread