Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
drat that sucks.

The people who work the front desk at Turumi are loving weird though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
They were nice to me last month :shobon:

I'll be back at Osan sometime this winter for a drunken adventure, we should go get a beer

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I'd be down for that. By then I'll be out of the stupid 30-day dry period.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Shalhavet posted:

Good luck with that. When I was TDY there a few weeks ago, most of the new people couldn't get all the mandatory appointment done before 30 days. Like the DMZ tour.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What are some of the best and worst assignments (in terms of base) you can get in the Air Force? The reason I ask is a good friend of mine is at Scott when he's stateside, but just did about a 6 month stint in Dubai, which he said ruled. He minored in Arabic in college.

I went to college near WPAFB and, between those classes and the online ones I took with current and former airmen, heard quite a few active duty guys talk with disdain about Why Not Minot. One of our instructors was a retired Chief Master Sergeant who went to Vietnam twice, somewhere in Southeast Asia (Thailand?) once, and talked about time at Luke and Warner-Robins.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only bases I haven't heard at least one person claim to enjoy is poo poo like Buckley and Cannon that's three to four hours away from anything of note besides the base itself. Apparently people who are in to hunting enjoy Minot a lot.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
The best and worst of bases really depends on your perspective, as well as the current base leadership. For example, I enjoyed the area around Scott, but couldn't stand dealing with AMC bullshit. Anything in Hawaii is considered primo, and so is Nellis (as long as you don't wind up at Creech). If you like both the city life, but being close to the outdoors, Fairchild and McChord aren't too bad. Steer away from Goodfellow (unless you're there for tech school), Maxwell, and most of the northern tier bases. God help you if you're in missiles, because you're pretty much stuck with F.E. Warren, Minot, Malmstrom, or Offutt, with a possible reprieve at Vandy. There's always the Gulf Coast bases, such as Hurlburt/Duke, Eglin, Tyndall, and MacDill (avoid Keesler). If Cali's your style, there's Travis, which is close to San Francisco, Sacramento, and not too far from Reno, and March if you're looking at the Reserves. The East Coast has a few good bases, such as Charleston and Langley, but personally I'd avoid the DC area unless you like paying out the rear end for housing and other expenses.

As far as overseas assignments, anything in Europe and Japan is decent. Korea has kind of gone to poo poo, unless you're Mormon.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I enjoy Travis but goddamn is AMC insanely retarded when everyone's not focused on just making planes fly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Lazy Reservist posted:

Korea has kind of gone to poo poo, unless you're Mormon.

:lol: What?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
/\ Let's just say that 7AF has instituted a rather...draconian...alcohol policy. /\

Larry Parrish posted:

The only bases I haven't heard at least one person claim to enjoy is poo poo like Buckley and Cannon that's three to four hours away from anything of note besides the base itself. Apparently people who are in to hunting enjoy Minot a lot.

If you don't like Buckley (location-wise) you're a loving retard.

Oh no I'm down the road from Denver and am literally on the footsteps of the Rocky Mountains, how could this get any worse?!?

Also as far as bases go almost every base has something going for it, it just depends on if you like that thing. For example, people poo poo on the northern tier bases but if you are into the outdoors, particularly certain types of hunting, there isn't a better assignment. Conversely, if you are stationed at Nellis you've got all that Vegas has to offer but if you want to do outdoors stuff you're going to be hard pressed to find anything decent hunting/fishing wise outside of whatever fishing you can do on Lake Mead/the Colorado.

Honestly outside of Thule, Cannon, Maxwell, Goodfellow, and maybe Keesler and Holloman I think every major installation has something going for it (some more than others, naturally). I suppose I'd throw Sheppard on that list because even though it's got some pretty good hunting/fishing in the area if you're there you're either a student or instructor, either way your life is going to be miserable.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sheppard's local town was off-limits to students at our training squadron and the FTU up the road at Tinker. I believe it was for both Es and Os.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Shalhavet posted:

Yeah same here. I'm hearing that soju is a helluva thing but I think I'm gonna build my tolerance back up before I tackle that beast.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

No drinking for the first month. Plus juicy girls love hearing about how American Jesus will save their souls.

iyaayas01 posted:

If you don't like Buckley (location-wise) you're a loving retard.

Oh no I'm down the road from Denver and am literally on the footsteps of the Rocky Mountains, how could this get any worse?!?

Forgot about the Colorado bases. Plus, if you're stationed at Peterson or Schriever, you've got a pretty decent chance of hooking up with a future noble, if that's something you're in to.

Lazy Reservist fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 20, 2014

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
If I was told I was going back to Minot I would eat a bullet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd totally do a year long assignment over at McMurdo if that was open for USAF personnel.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd totally do a year long assignment over at McMurdo if that was open for USAF personnel.

gently caress that, send me to Keflavik if I have to be somewhere cold. At least then I can warm my bed with freakishly beautiful Icelandic chicks.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Do we have anybody at Keflavik anymore? The military side of the airport is pretty decrepit since the Cold War assets moved out.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Godholio posted:

Do we have anybody at Keflavik anymore? The military side of the airport is pretty decrepit since the Cold War assets moved out.

Not sure. I know my job doesn't go there.

Quick google says we pulled out of there in 2006.

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 20, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Oh hey, this year's RIF list is out. And they managed to misspell my name.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh hey, this year's RIF list is out.

Welcome, brother.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah same here. I'm hearing that soju is a helluva thing but I think I'm gonna build my tolerance back up before I tackle that beast.

Nah, by itself it's fine. It's when you start that GreenBean +30 ammo bowl is when you get in trouble.

And as the permanent Osan guy, some of you suckers should come out or give me your Kakao names or visit the Korea thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529871). This place gets way better when you hang with nonmils.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

nullscan posted:

Nah, by itself it's fine. It's when you start that GreenBean +30 ammo bowl is when you get in trouble.

And as the permanent Osan guy, some of you suckers should come out or give me your Kakao names or visit the Korea thread ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529871). This place gets way better when you hang with nonmils.

But I can't go outside it's scary and there's normal people.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Dead Reckoning posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke like you wanted to be RIFd and got retained or they literally misspelled your name on your RIF notification.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The second one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if the name's not written in capital letters exactly like it is on your birth certificate then it's not referring to you as a sovereign citizen and thus it doesn't count

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

Comm officer friend of mine is trying to get a month-long TDY to McMurdo doing comm poo poo. It sounds pretty awesome.

Godholio posted:

Nobody there permanently since the Rescue bubbas left in '06 but the -15s out of Lakenheath do NATO Air Policing TDYs there semi-regularly.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Dead Reckoning posted:

If ever you felt a smug sense of superiority during your time in, this is the time to reflect upon it.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

nullscan posted:

gently caress I forgot you're there permanently. Oh well, I'll be back sometime before I leave.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

if the name's not written in capital letters exactly like it is on your birth certificate then it's not referring to you as a sovereign citizen and thus it doesn't count

According to a friend, this was actually the case in the British Army: any official communication that gots your identifying information wrong was void and could be ignored.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to a friend, this was actually the case in the British Army: any official communication that gots your identifying information wrong was void and could be ignored.

I don't buy that. The Brits have historically been brutal on discipline. To the point they've been willing to go to war rather than stop seizing foreign sailors just in case they were actually British.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

Comm officer friend of mine is trying to get a month-long TDY to McMurdo doing comm poo poo. It sounds pretty awesome.
Hey, could you ask him to do a UK TDY next? Most of our computers are broken / can't use Java apps etc and comm won't do their jobs. I keep asking them to give me admin, but no luck.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

poo poo I'd sign up for Antarctica. Imagine the shitload of expensive gear they issue you. That Canada Goose poo poo is expensive.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Dominoes posted:

Hey, could you ask him to do a UK TDY next? Most of our computers are broken / can't use Java apps etc and comm won't do their jobs. I keep asking them to give me admin, but no luck.

Did you call the ESD and get a trouble ticket number? And then call comm to give them the trouble ticket number? And then get a tracking number? Did you call the NOSC and give them the tracking number? No? Well, there's your problem.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Lazy Reservist posted:

Did you call the ESD and get a trouble ticket number? And then call comm to give them the trouble ticket number? And then get a tracking number? Did you call the NOSC and give them the tracking number? No? Well, there's your problem.

drat, that doesn't sound like anywhere near the steps required when I was in, they must have simplified the process :v:

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
:dance: Just got picked up to PCS to Ramstein spring of next year and I didn't even have to put in for Korea to get out of here like I thought I might. Crossing my fingers that my orders don't get magically cancelled and then I get forced into TI duty or some madness.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Antarctica is cool as gently caress and I highly recommend doing whatever you can to get there. I dunno if USAF participates in International Ice Patrol but that's one way to get to Keflavik.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Being a weather observer at McMurdo or Amundsen-Scott was one of my choices of things to do had I gotten out at the end of last enlistment. I have heard very little bad about doing a tour there. It's mostly grad students, and it's like a deployment with no GO1, and penguins instead of enemy combatants.

Plus if you go to the South Pole you could possibly join the 300 club.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Speaking of assignments, it looks like it's time for me to leave behind the tender arms of AFSOC for an exciting career in acquisitions. Should I shoot myself now or wait until after I've verified the properly written requirement to do so?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Our squadron intel officer left the AF rather than go back to acquisitions (for some reason SQ intel can be an acq slot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Acquisitions seems like it would be a way to make mega $$ on the outside.

Due to some bro networking, slick luck and well timed phone calls, it looks like I'll be deploying to CENTCOM HQ instead of CTF-HOA as originally planned.

• Locked thread