Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Sorry brahs, some guy on the internet said we're playing the wrong game. We gotta shut this operation down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Civ: BE is a garbage skin thrown on top of Civ: V

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like this games region system. It makes pretty borders.

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Mazo Panku posted:

Sorry brahs, some guy on the internet said we're playing the wrong game. We gotta shut this operation down!

Haven't played BE yet, but if Civilization 5 taught me anything, it is to never buy a Civ game until expansions/DLCs are out. Can anyone confirm whether or not BE is just a reskin of Civ 5 as of now? Endless Legend may have its cons, such as a definition of balance about as bad as Dawn of War, but I find it more entertaining that Civ 5. Maybe because Civ 5 forces me to play Napoleon if I want to interact with my own nation in a fashion other than war.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FrenchBen posted:

Haven't played BE yet, but if Civilization 5 taught me anything, it is to never buy a Civ game until expansions/DLCs are out. Can anyone confirm whether or not BE is just a reskin of Civ 5 as of now? Endless Legend may have its cons, such as a definition of balance about as bad as Dawn of War, but I find it more entertaining that Civ 5. Maybe because Civ 5 forces me to play Napoleon if I want to interact with my own nation in a fashion other than war.

BE really needs something added to it.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

FrenchBen posted:

From what I've played so far? Pretty much Future Civ. There is a system wherein you put down outposts rather than full-blown cities (a la Endless Space) and the game gives you 'quests' every other turn that usually amount to 'pick either this enhancement or that enhancement', but if you're beating Civ V on Diety every time you play I don't think it will change much.

Still, lots of neat little things all over. The wildlife is downright rabid and I do like the satellite coverage options. But it's still Civ V, and as I believe I stated in the OP, I'm a bit bored with Civ V.

This upgrade screen glitch never ceases to amuse me, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mazo Panku posted:

From what I've played so far? Pretty much Future Civ. There is a system wherein you put down outposts rather than full-blown cities (a la Endless Space) and the game gives you 'quests' every other turn that usually amount to 'pick either this enhancement or that enhancement', but if you're beating Civ V on Diety every time you play I don't think it will change much.

Still, lots of neat little things all over. The wildlife is downright rabid and I do like the satellite coverage options. But it's still Civ V, and as I believe I stated in the OP, I'm a bit bored with Civ V.

This upgrade screen glitch never ceases to amuse me, though.

Is he looking for his pet frog?

EDIT: vvv I was thinking of Blaster Master :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 17, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FrenchBen posted:

Yup. I don't regret my purchase, but I wouldn't point anyone else to it unless they're specifically looking for "Civ 5 without the expansions in space".

That said, I can get an army of Shai-halud riders.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Section Z posted:

Is he looking for his pet frog?

I was referring to this that Civvy Kong Racing, but I suppose Civfia III works too

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
Civ:BE is still recognizably CiV but converted, similar to something like CIV's fall from heaven. It is less flavourful but mechanically superior I'd say, the sponsor you choose doesn't make you as different as the civilization you play in CiV but how you then play shapes things more; or in other words, your past is not as important as your future.
If you prefer a few more meaningful choices or for the battles to be a bit more varied in the units participating go BE, if you prefer the idea of two historic nations fighting or the stories you weave as you fight your wars I'd say stick with civ V.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

FrenchBen posted:

It's not just a reskin. There are significant changes. Unfortunately, I think it's also underbaked and needs revamps in several areas (including flavor, because right now it's pretty bland) and maybe an expansion or two worth of content before it will be a clearly recommendable game. Even then people who find Civ V's AI problematic will probably want to avoid it because, yeah. Same issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Two things about Beyond Earth that get me are that there's still Fog of War and you can't move troops en masse. Neither of these given the futuristic setting make much sense to me. I can't imagine how we'd still be unable to figure out what the rest of the world looks like without studying the modded tech that reveals the whole map. And because there's no way to really move armies around all that quickly, you're never going to participate in wars that aren't right on your borders or thereabout. So say goodbye to any notions of a planetary coalition or helping distant allies. In the future, you gotta WALK everywhere again. That's just annoying because all I can think of is the number of times in the past few decades the US and other countries have decided to send military forces halfway across the world, and a few days later they're in a camp in Kuwait waiting for someone to say "Go."

But those are two specific issues I have. In general it does just feel like it's lacking something to make it more complete. It often seems like a reskinned, reworked Civ V that somehow managed to lose some personality in the process or something. If there's anything Beyond Earth does better, it's that it seems so far like you can actually conduct wars fairly often without reprisal. I've yet to be called a warmonger at all - not even in the game where I declared war six or seven times within the first 150 turns. And I haven't seen much if any forward settling. So AI might be slightly better in some aspects.

So yeah. It's a really weird, mixed bag. I actually play it more than I did immediately after launch and can enjoy it for what it is (especially because Civ V keeps CTDing before I reach the main menu), but I definitely had to mod it.

• Locked thread