Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

Iunnrais posted:

If this boss uses Yellow Devil's gimmick, does that mean this game lacks a regular Yellow Devil, thus being unique amongst all classic Megaman games?

The next stage has a boss that actually is a devil. It's pretty fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Thanks PureSabe, you made me apply the adjective "fun" to a devil boss.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hooray, this is back! With...the sewer level. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

I'm curious what that first room would look like with a CRT filter; it's using dithering-based transparency, which looks utter rubbish on a pixelated display but can actually work on blurrier ones like CRTs.

As for the Devil, the big problem I've always had with Devil bosses is that they tend to have very brief periods of vulnerability in between excessively long periods of dodging. And the first time you fight them, you don't know what their weakness is, so it can take you several cycles of hitting them with one weapon at a time before you can figure out what to use against them. It looks like Sewer Devil opens his eye pretty regularly, though, and leaves it open for more than half a second at a time. Plus the dodging doesn't seem quite so rigorous (instead you have to deal with possibly not having a floor to stand on).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'd say the bubble mini boss is probably one of my least favorite parts of the game. It's novel the first time through but on repeat attempts it is pretty tedious. The rest of the stage makes up for it though by having a ton of really well-designed platforming challenges and ending with an awesome boss battle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

SnoruntPyro posted:

The jump you find a "pain" during the split isn't actually a jump at all- edge off of the platform instead of jumping and you'll rapidly be in the normal, full control movestate. For the E-Tank in the other part of the split, you're supposed to hit the cracked pipe behind you and use the additional speed of the water to get the item without getting hit.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
e: f;b

Far as the boss goes, it's really fun to try to beat it just using the melee option of Spark Manbow. Always did like it's death animation being what shoves you to the next stage.

It's also a lot of fun to try to get through the second half of the bubble puzzle screen by using Hell Wheel and see if you can make the jumps.

doing the obvious fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 31, 2015

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Sorry that this one took so long. I haven't had much time to record recently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hooray, this is back!

It feels deeply, deeply wrong that there could be a weapon better than "unlimited explosive Metal Blade".

Also, you should consider trying to avoid starting sentences with "Also" :v: Otherwise commentary was great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Can you get through the hole Punk comes in through?

Also, godsend.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This is easily the most interesting stage to me in the whole game. I love being able to use the Mega-Killers weapons so well. Also, I'm assuming it's actually 4 different shield generators, not just the one being blown up several times.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Choco1980 posted:

This is easily the most interesting stage to me in the whole game. I love being able to use the Mega-Killers weapons so well. Also, I'm assuming it's actually 4 different shield generators, not just the one being blown up several times.

If you watch the background in the stage, it flashes in a repeating cycle of colors. Each generator has a different colored circle on it, and after you destroy any of the generators the flashes of that color cease. By the time you get up to where you can see the flashes you have to have already destroyed one of the generators, so the timing of the flashes coincides with one generator already being destroyed.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Olesh posted:

If you watch the background in the stage, it flashes in a repeating cycle of colors. Each generator has a different colored circle on it, and after you destroy any of the generators the flashes of that color cease. By the time you get up to where you can see the flashes you have to have already destroyed one of the generators, so the timing of the flashes coincides with one generator already being destroyed.

There is also the big compass in the ceiling above the Killers' rooms. :v:

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
The biggest disappointment with the killer rematches is that not one of them can stop Rush Cannon. Bringing back some tough but fun bosses and letting you just not fight fair with them if you don't want to is very contradictory to the tough but fair design (most) of the rest of the game has. Also a missed opportunity to make them have hilarious counters to Rush Cannon like the robut masters themselves all have.

There will be another example of letting you not fight fair by design soon enough. That one is a much better example of how to let a player not fight fair but it's entirely deserved.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

Discendo Vox posted:

Can you get through the hole Punk comes in through?

Just tried this now, you sadly can't. It acts like a solid wall.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Definitely interesting, replacing the megabuster for a level. I assume it goes back to normal in the Wily stages? It's a pity Dr. Cossack himself isn't more challenging when you use that laser weapon. Man that thing is overpowered! Seems to me that it takes all the fun out of it.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
OH MAN GUYS IT'S ONLY BEEN A WEEK SINCE THE LAST UPDATE

(forgot to mention that the Cossack weapons are indeed temporary)

Edit 29 April 2015: The original video had no game audio, so I've replaced the links to the old video with a new, fixed video.

SnoruntPyro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 29, 2015

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

SnoruntPyro posted:

OH MAN GUYS IT'S ONLY BEEN A WEEK SINCE THE LAST UPDATE

(forgot to mention that the Cossack weapons are indeed temporary)

Is it just me, or is the game audio completely silent once the stage begins?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Kinda looks like the Wily stages are going to be a shitshow.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

XavierGenisi posted:

Is it just me, or is the game audio completely silent once the stage begins?

I noticed this and I have no idea what happened with the encoding. I don't have the project file so I'll have to artificially add in music tomorrow and reupload.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

I still really enjoy Wily 1. I think he wanted an excuse to let players play with the Joe vehicles in the classic series so he made the first part of the level filled with them and the second half letting you turn their weapons against them. The first half of the stage is entirely the lash, but the carrot in the second half makes up for it.

The only thing I don't like is again, it's possible to not fight fair with the boss even if you don't use the vehicles. If you hit it a few times with recycle inhaler or once with Rush Cannon his shield is destroyed making him a non-issue.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Joes in this game aren't the same as any real Megaman game. Even while you're complaining about them, you're obliterating them with the overpowered weapons that the game gave you, and they're like that for a reason.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
The sprite limits on that stage looked really painful.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
You didn't show off how you can destroy the boss's shield?

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche

Valgaav posted:

You didn't show off how you can destroy the boss's shield?

That's something I forgot about - I knew about it already. I'll be showing it in a bonus video.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Sorry that this came later than expected, the audio bug affected that specific recording and only that specific recording, for some bizzare reason. There's some double audio at the beginning, but it's not too bad and the rest of the stage now has audio! Hooray! I've also added a few things to the fight with Joe Ni Nin Va All.

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
It's an update with audio the first time around!

I also already have Wily stages 3 and 4 recorded but I think I'll do another take for Wily 4. Expect those two to be up sometime next week.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Did the Gradius 2 part get slowed down from previous versions? I haven't seen the earlier run throughs in a while but I thought they were faster.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is the Graduis section actually branching paths, or does going the 'wrong' way result in instant death?

Does snatch man take the same 4 weapons every time or is it randomized?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

CzarChasm posted:

Is the Graduis section actually branching paths, or does going the 'wrong' way result in instant death?

Does snatch man take the same 4 weapons every time or is it randomized?
Branching paths, but there's only one with anything good in it.

He takes the first 4 weapons you equip at that point in the fight. It's really obvious with the menu switching and subsequent loss of the weapon that was chosen.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cheez posted:

He takes the first 4 weapons you equip at that point in the fight. It's really obvious with the menu switching and subsequent loss of the weapon that was chosen.

Kind of figured that's what it was, but I wouldn't put it past a game to bring up your pause menu and select a series of weapons at random, though that might be a bit advanced.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, that was an interesting level and a great boss.

Snatching your weapons and using them against you sounds like fun. Would the Rush weapon kill you instantly if it hit?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Torrannor posted:

Snatching your weapons and using them against you sounds like fun. Would the Rush weapon kill you instantly if it hit?

It was shown off in a previous version for a megathread but I think if you use any of the Rush weapons on copy megaman rush appears at his side instead and shoots at you. And yes Rush Cannon one shots you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
With the rising sparkles to indicate low gravity, you might be thinking of a MMX2 Morph Moth reference. But I guess here it's just a way to tell you that it's first push from below, then up and sideways.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

Feinne posted:

It was shown off in a previous version for a megathread but I think if you use any of the Rush weapons on copy megaman rush appears at his side instead and shoots at you. And yes Rush Cannon one shots you.

The first form can be hit with Rush Cannon with impunity. Only in the second form does he have a counter to rush cannon but there are ways to work around it.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

SnoruntPyro posted:

Still catching up with the videos, but I want to point out that there's two additional references in the devil fight. The rotating shield form is very likely a reference to Kracko from Kirby, who has a similar pattern (plus it's a giant eye!) And there's one pattern that's similar to Agile when the devil is dropping blocks (it creates two horizontal rows of blocks which drop), which is probably intentional since you fight not-Serges in the last stage.

I can't say I like the presentation of the LP (it feels over-rehearsed and the constant drawing attention to puns is more annoying than the puns themselves :v:), but it's not bad either and it's nice to see a playthrough that showcases how useful the weapons are, since the only other ones I've seen are Dectilon+Phiggle's playthrough and Violen's minimalistic run. The OP is also very thorough, so kudos to the work you've done!

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I'm usually not a big fan of VLPs because a lot of people just have really grating voices and/or don't know how to speak confidently, but I staved off sleepiness to burn through this whole series last night. You make for very easy listening, dude.

Your knowledge of Mega Man is impressive. Never stop making puns. :madmax:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Could you give Snatchman your wire and balloon, or does he only accept the eight boss weapons?

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Torrannor posted:

With how fast he just tore through copy man, I'm pretty sure he's got another video prepared to actually show him off.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

Glazius posted:

Could you give Snatchman your wire and balloon, or does he only accept the eight boss weapons?

Snatchman will only steal the eight robut master weapons, he doesn't react at all to wire, balloon or Rush Search/Wish Star. He does react to Rush Cannon once he's taken four of your weapons, but not prior to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoruntPyro
Dec 28, 2014

Class-A Douche
Sorry that I haven't updated in three weeks! Either way, here's Wily 3!

Wily 4 will be coming in a few days.

• Locked thread