Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ty1990 posted:

I didn't read the GDT but did anybody else think Kelvin won that fight?

R1: who cares
R2: probably woodley
R3: probably kelvin

in conclusion, who cares. I think Kelvin did more overall, but round by round it's equally fair to call it for either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Where does Lauzon go from here? Is it safe to say his chin is shot? Shame, love watching him fight.

mewse
May 2, 2006

heeebrew posted:

Where does Lauzon go from here? Is it safe to say his chin is shot? Shame, love watching him fight.

I wouldn't say so. Iaquinta is a stud. I'd wager Lauzon has many years as a gatekeeper left in him.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ugh and here I thought this was the Raw GDT waaaaaaaaay off.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

So, Cowboy's being robbed -

https://twitter.com/Cowboycerrone/status/562393180025262080

https://twitter.com/Cowboycerrone/status/562409592299081728

15% to management and 15% to coaches

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

mewse posted:

I wouldn't say so. Iaquinta is a stud. I'd wager Lauzon has many years as a gatekeeper left in him.

It's impossible to tell from an outsiders perspective but what few measurements we have all point to "You should start considering this against how much money you have saved and your prospects".

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

In case anyone's wondering, he might be in the marginal 40% bracket for the last dollar he earns, but his effective rate will be a lot less than 40%. He probably is taking home half at most though if his people really do take 30%.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

jeeeesus. Good on Cowboy staying on top of his taxes + business costs but I'd be Chris Leben and hoard all the money to myself so I could buy mountains of drugs and then let UFC take care of the IRS after you retire.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

i know that it's actually better, overall, than boxing, since undercard fighters don't get quite as hosed, but that just doesn't seem like much money to get hosed up over and over on purpose

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's kind of a bummer that our tax system is perfectly designed for someone to say "I'm in the 40% bracket!" and, while not actually being incorrect, be extremely misleading.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
If Cowboy turned in the deposits for all those beer cans he'd never want for money.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Taxes aren't the robbery (that's a discussion for a different thread), paying 15% to two separate entities is

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

heeebrew posted:

did you hear the loving shot iaquinta scrambled his brains with? that would have put out anyone

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Just as a matter of comparison, American Top Team charges 5% for management and training combined.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also i have no loving idea why cerrone needs a manager. he can pretty much set his price with the ufc at contract time / not that it loving matters with all the late replacement bonuses he'd get. and setting up a fight isn't a problem because he'll fight loving anyone and organises it himself via twitter all the time. save yourself 15% you loving crazy redneck

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

heeebrew posted:

Where does Lauzon go from here? Is it safe to say his chin is shot?

No, in fact that would be a spectacularly dumb thing to say.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marching Powder posted:

also i have no loving idea why cerrone needs a manager. he can pretty much set his price with the ufc at contract time / not that it loving matters with all the late replacement bonuses he'd get. and setting up a fight isn't a problem because he'll fight loving anyone and organises it himself via twitter all the time. save yourself 15% you loving crazy redneck

He's not the smartest man.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Marching Powder posted:

Someone said the Reebok deal is gonna make managers basically useless. I know Cerrone will keep certain things like the Budweiser deal after the fact, but he really doesn't need to be paying someone 15% when he makes his own matches via twitter and is well liked by the top brass and well compensated. Also I don't know why you would pay coaches a percentage instead of a sum unless he's ballparking or exaggerating.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Marching Powder posted:

Cerrone once decided to trade with Nate Diaz for 15 solid minutes after a horse kicked him in the mouth a week earlier.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Also I don't know why you would pay coaches a percentage instead of a sum

Because that's how basically every top gym handles it's pro fighter contracts

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

Also I don't know why you would pay coaches a percentage instead of a sum unless he's ballparking or exaggerating.

it's a really good idea to reward people integral to your success in direct proportion to your success

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not sure how it works in the States, but I'd imagine that your taxable bracket would be determined by net income after such expenses are deducted.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Because that's how basically every top gym handles it's pro fighter contracts

and I assume that's done because pro fighters income fluctuates for all sorts of reasons, so there are times when a flat rate would hurt the fighter and times when a flat rate would hurt the gym. 15% to me does seem high but then again the coaching and trainers that Greg Jackson brings are worth it if your goals are to win a whole hell of a lot.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure how it works in the States, but I'd imagine that your taxable bracket would be determined by net income after such expenses are deducted.

Yeah, the IRS is not going to tax the money he pays to his coaches and agents. Well, they will, but on their returns, not Cerrone's

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

heeebrew posted:

joe has always had 3 minutes of gas in him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Depends how on top of his taxes he is. Ideally he'd be deducting expenses like gym fees, management cost, etc.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

joe has always had 3 minutes of gas in him.

Nah, he fixed that a while back. His problem in this match and against Pettis is that his only standup defense is shelling up and waiting for the other guy's combo to end so he can throw leather back. He hits wicked haaahd so it works against a lot of guys, but against a guy who can switch up high and low and take angles he gets pummeled.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
What was the stupid deal that Hendricks was on? It was basically betting against yourself by getting training and housing but paying some insane percentage.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Nibbles! posted:

What was the stupid deal that Hendricks was on? It was basically betting against yourself by getting training and housing but paying some insane percentage.

Here’s where you start to do the math on the money that Ehrhardt and his co-owners have pumped into Team Takedown. Between the gym, the living expenses for each fighter and coach, a weekly paycheck, plus health and dental insurance, Ehrhardt estimates that he’s already put between $4 and 5 million into the company.

It’s a sizable investment for an MMA management company. It’s also why Team Takedown takes a 50 percent cut of its fighters’ earnings, which is unheard of among most MMA managers.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

also it really owns that Robbie Lawler is going to bring down Team Takedown with his crotch. did not even have to chop it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Isn't Hendricks' original Team Takedown deal over? I think it ran out before his last fight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I thought it kept going since Hendricks was basically subsidizing the rest of the team.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
What's next for Lawler anyway, I'd like to see him gently caress some more dudes up

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

yeah. It would be a very poor business decision to base your entire company on 1 guy becoming champion and then after many years investing in him & as soon as he does you let him out of the contract.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

What's next for Lawler anyway, I'd like to see him gently caress some more dudes up

he'll fight the winner of Hendricks/Brown or Rory/Lombard for sure. Lawler did fight 4 times in 2014 so I ain't even mad that he's taking off 6 months right now unlike the cowards Chris Weidman, Dominick Cruz, and Cain Velasquez.

But yes Robbie Lawler will get back to loving up all the dudes soon and the welterweight division will feel alive for the first time in a good year.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I think he said he wanted to take a bit of time off and then defend somewhere in the late May-early July window. I would guess it would be vs. the winner of either Rory/Lombard or Hendricks/Brown, I guess just depending on what they think is a better fight.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's going to face Johny Hendricks in the 3rd of 8 consecutive fights between the 2.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah. It would be a very poor business decision to base your entire company on 1 guy becoming champion and then after many years investing in him & as soon as he does you let him out of the contract.

he'll fight the winner of Hendricks/Brown or Rory/Lombard for sure. Lawler did fight 4 times in 2014 so I ain't even mad that he's taking off 6 months right now unlike the cowards Chris Weidman, Dominick Cruz, and Cain Velasquez.

But yes Robbie Lawler will get back to loving up all the dudes soon and the welterweight division will feel alive for the first time in a good year.

It's not so much letting him out of the contract I just believe the contract did have a time limit on it as an indefinite contract is going to end up getting shredded in court. That doesn't preclude re-signing with the team.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I would like to see Robbie punch Rory in the face repeatedly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I would like to see Robbie punch Rory in the face repeatedly.

It was great the first time around, with 5 rounds it'd be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Woodley broke his foot, according to him in the first round -

• Locked thread