Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
If anyone supports Peter after what he did to Black and White 2 and the fable series, they deserve to lose their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How is this any different from every other time Peter Molyneaux has hyped up his own game to ridiculous proportions to sucker people into buying them? The nice thing about the video games industry is that you can keep doing this because most gamers have no ability to resist buying something on promises alone, even if they already kinda sorta know it's going to be bad.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

After Fable 1, could you really trust any promise Molyneaux says? Dude has a problem.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i actually bought an early access game recently (7 days to die) because i had an itch for building and survival. i actually didn't regret it. the game is more finished at its alpha state than DayZ or Minecraft are put together. there are way more hooks to keep playing than in DayZ and the building is better than in Minecraft, and the whole thing actually runs without enormous gamebreaking bugs. supposedly the next version is coming out soon too.

makes sense that the developer that's finally able to make an early access title that doesn't leave me feeling scammed is called "The Fun Pimps". though i guess that's not much of a compliment

edit: can someone tell me what's new in DayZ and Starbound? I haven't played those games in a year

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 10, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Populous wasn't good. Syndicate wasn't good. I have never played Magic Carpet but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn't good.
It had a kind of cool little 3D engine, but yes, this is accurate.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i dont know how it would be today, but we played the poo poo out of syndicate back in the day. it's a classic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

i remember this being a video at an E3 and it seemed like it was just really boring voice recognition stuff

what was the hoax part of it?
There was no voice recognition, a person had to be on the other side of the booth to monitor the responses and send something back

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Minorkos posted:

i actually bought an early access game recently (7 days to die) because i had an itch for building and survival. i actually didn't regret it. the game is more finished at its alpha state than DayZ or Minecraft are put together. there are way more hooks to keep playing than in DayZ and the building is better than in Minecraft, and the whole thing actually runs without enormous gamebreaking bugs. supposedly the next version is coming out soon too.

makes sense that the developer that's finally able to make an early access title that doesn't leave me feeling scammed is called "The Fun Pimps". though i guess that's not much of a compliment

edit: can someone tell me what's new in DayZ and Starbound? I haven't played those games in a year

I don't object to the idea of Early Access but there's just no way to know if the game you're getting is any good. Online reviewers are either true believers caught in their own hype or anti-everything personalities with unhelpful nitpicks. Established gaming review sites are mostly just product hyping machines for the major publishers and goons don't share many of my tastes. You just kind of end up rolling the dice. Of the two games I bought EA, I ended up really liking Lichdom: Battlemage despite hearing very little about it, and disliking Grim Dawn despite overwhelming hype here and elsewhere. For only ten bucks each you could do worse, but I guess now the prevailing philosophy is "why put out a free demo and risk people not liking it when you could charge money for Early Access and get paid either way?" Makes sense to me.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
early access would be a lot better if it allowed you to actually try the game for like a day and then ask for money. as it is you're paying to be an alpha tester, which to me is a really weird concept. i should get paid to QA, not the other way around.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
He's an excitable man.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Peter Molyneux is so good he is living a god game irl. Manipulating peons into giving him money to appease the beast.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

After Fable 1, could you really trust any promise Molyneaux says? Dude has a problem.
Fable 2 was legit good. A shame it improved Molyneaux's credibility so he could poo poo out Fable 3, though.

But yeah, I have no idea why you'd trust him until you have the final product in your hands--I didn't try Fable 2 until a long time after release because of how badly folks felt burned by the first one.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I actually liked fable for what it was, but it doesn't change the fact that he should hire a pr person to speak for him.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Populous wasn't good. Syndicate wasn't good. I have never played Magic Carpet but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn't good.

They were actually all real good you huge noob.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
What the hell does Pete do again? He's pretty much trying to become a politician with the amount of lies he spews out.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
lol at Godus still being sold as Early Access.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
The people who hate Peter Molyneux are the people who once loved Peter Molyneux and gave him money. I gave him money and I hope that he lives on to dream of dog friendship once more. Thanks for reading.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I kind of wish this thread was for other games with stupid hype trains, too.

I remember Bethesda saying that Oblivion's AI had to be tuned down because it was too good... and something like they would go around completing the quests for you and could beat the main narrative. Hahahaha.

In retrospect, Skyrim doesn't even live up to some of the claims they made with Oblivion.

E: Or Aliens: Colonial Marines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 10, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Firstborn posted:

I remember Bethesda saying that Oblivion's AI had to be tuned down because it was too good... and something like they would go around completing the quests for you and could beat the main narrative. Hahahaha.

In retrospect, Skyrim doesn't even live up to some of the claims they made with Oblivion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg

Totally dynamic with no scripting

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
A video update about the state of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0P9yYG0G5I

Yes, that guy is literally "vaping" during the video

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Fable 2 sucked so much it rewards you for not playing.

I haven't touched it in 4-5 years and would probably get billions of gold for the two towns I landlord in but gently caress if I'll ever finish it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've never played OG Populous or Syndicate but Populous the Beginning and Syndicate Wars were both loving awesome.

GloriousDemon posted:

I also played played Black and White 2, a god sim that has a campaign rougher than a Warcraft 3 custom map.

Black and White 2 campaign was piss easy. Good gods win by having a great city, Evil gods win through warfare.

...except good gods have a bigger population because of their great city, so they also win through warfare if you want.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
For anyone wondering what happened to the Curiosity cube winner:

The God who Peter Molyneux forgot

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
So his only prize was to be forced to play Godus for three hours and then subsequently get shunned by awkward IT workers in a pub.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Much like Tim Schafer, there is a reason no publishers will give Peter Molyneux money.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Even after rinsing both Kickstarter and Early Access, the game apparently does have a publisher, since Molyneux blames them for some recent server woes in that interview.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This poor stupid bastard is filled with great and ambitious ideas but he can't develop for poo poo. Apart from lies and hype. He's good at that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Leyburn posted:

Even after rinsing both Kickstarter and Early Access, the game apparently does have a publisher, since Molyneux blames them for some recent server woes in that interview.

the publishers are you, the fans who gave us money for this.

this is all YOUR fault

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Leyburn posted:

So his only prize was to be forced to play Godus for three hours and then subsequently get shunned by awkward IT workers in a pub.

He got a personal Molyneuxing just for him.

[e] I wish peter promised me a ton of money and then hosed off leaving me with nothing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CharlestonJew posted:

the publishers are you, the fans who gave us money for this.

this is all YOUR fault

You fans need to fix it too.

quote:

Konrad "FuriousMoo" Naszynski, who backed Godus on Kickstarter before joining 22Cans as an intern, has been thrust into the limelight as the new lead designer of Godus, and it's down to him to steer the ship towards meeting the expectations of an already estranged community.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Fable was cool, I dunno what the gently caress he was promising beforehand that soured the internet to it though.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Fable was cool, I dunno what the gently caress he was promising beforehand that soured the internet to it though.

YOU CAN DO

ANYTHING!

You can't do anything

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

FrickenMoron posted:

Black & White was the point where I swore to never listen to any of the bullshit this man is claiming. Its kind of funny that he can still pull poo poo poo poo considering how much went wrong in the past.

This. 100 times this. I bought that game on release day, full price. Played 3 hours, put it back in the box, and eventually sold it to some other poor sucker online at a huge markdown. Never bought another one of his products again.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Mirificus posted:

For anyone wondering what happened to the Curiosity cube winner:

The God who Peter Molyneux forgot

lmbo

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I had no idea that man was still making video games.

I will however use this opportunity to reiterate that spore was the most dissapointing game I have ever played and is the very moment I stopped getting hyped over video games, and kinda lost interest in them over the next few years.

So thank you will wright for making my life better, and y'all should see molyneux as a good guy who just wants kids to stop caring about video games and live productive lives.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Dark Souls 2 was a fun one to watch derail, because amidst it's slow-but-steady destruction when it came to visuals, you really didn't even need to leave this forum to hear how anyone with an issue regarding From's bullshots was an entitled manchild, how us crybabies could just use an ENB preset to restore an entire dynamic lighting engine, or how it's illegal to criticize them because it's From's "B-team" - so be nice to them :)

It keeps happening

Endorph posted:

see also: double fine

If lying about budgets and deadlines won't kill them, Tim's Twitter meltdowns will

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Dark Souls 2 was a fun one to watch derail, because amidst it's slow-but-steady destruction when it came to visuals, you really didn't even need to leave this forum to hear how anyone with an issue regarding From's bullshots was an entitled manchild, how us crybabies could just use an ENB preset to restore an entire dynamic lighting engine, or how it's illegal to criticize them because it's From's "B-team" - so be nice to them :)

I feel like this is a slightly different thing. Dark Souls 2 had its graphics downgraded, to be sure, and that generally sucked. Godus has had its ENTIRE GAME downgraded and Peter et al are basically like "gently caress you i got mine". I mean, sure, what happened with DS2 sucked but I think it's a far cry from the Molyneux situation.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I didn't really mind the Dark Souls 2 downgrade so much because making half the game Tomb of Giants was a stupid idea to begin with, but yeah the goon defence force was rabid regarding any criticism of that game

It's good to see Molyneux is really getting raked over the coals on this one at least, his attitude has been half a step away from an outright conman with Godus and it's about time people picked up on him being full of poo poo and stopped chucking money at him

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I want a Super Smash Bros type game with all these video game developer personalities. A Brad McQuaid vs Peter Molyneux death match would be pretty good I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I bought into the hype for Black and White and was pretty disappointed by it. I did like how your pet grew in size as time went by. I didn't get past level 3(?) I think.

I finished one game of The Movies, because the tutorial took the entire game to play through, but it worked for me. Never got a 5 star movie, but I liked how you could make movies, and by the '80's you were making sequels and remakes. The game was really hampered by the lack of new stars. Once you started with 3-4 movie stars, that's all you got for decades. And the narrator's were amusing.

We are all lucky that we live in the time line where Peter Molyneux went on to become a game designer. The timeline where he goes into politics is horrific.

• Locked thread