Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Toxxupation posted:

he also was put on trial in front of an overwhelmingly black jury right after rodney king

like, that's the reason he got off, and it's proof positive of what happens to society when racial tensions hit their absolute worst: no matter how guilty he was, and he was guilty as gently caress, when it comes to choosing between rewarding the LAPD and validating them and making them look like incapable morons, if you're black it's hard to argue against the latter

in contrast durst has a 6-part miniseries made about him that paints a pretty damning picture of the man, i mean even before the letter came to light and the hot mic statement I was almost positive he actually murdered everyone, simply because of how unconvincing a liar the guy is

I mean, he's charismatic as gently caress and has an electric personality that makes you want to like him but jesus christ robert durst couldn't lie his way out of a paper bag

OJ was half a decade after Rodney King, and the rest of your post is fairly equally bad

e: in short your feels based on a TV show have gently caress all to do with what causes acquittals or convictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Rodney King was March of 1991 and oj did his murdering in 94. That poo poo was still very fresh in people's minds.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
And the trial was in 95 which was half a decade after the actual Rodney King beating, like I said. Jfc how is tviv always worse than you imagine it could be.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I do wonder how Durst feels about Jarecki now and what his response will be towards him. Most of the time the villainous subjects of a doc like this are the type of people/institutions that don't want more attention and publicity around whatever their issue is, or they don't have the resources or willfull disregard for rational behavior to follow through with any vengeful schemes. Durst has enough money and insanity that he could get up yto all types of crazy poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arnold of Soissons posted:

And the trial was in 95 which was half a decade after the actual Rodney King beating, like I said. Jfc how is tviv always worse than you imagine it could be.

Because a dude being beaten nearly to death for being black is something that goes away so fast.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just can't imagine that a guy who openly admitted to dismembering a body and dumping it in the bay and still was found not-guilty of murder is going to get convicted of Susan Berman's murder. Absent some of of literal smoking gun, I can't imagine the LAPD has much else. Maybe if they try to get him for some lesser crime and then hope he gets the maximum sentence......but no way he gets convicted of murder.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mahoning posted:

I just can't imagine that a guy who openly admitted to dismembering a body and dumping it in the bay and still was found not-guilty of murder is going to get convicted of Susan Berman's murder. Absent some of of literal smoking gun, I can't imagine the LAPD has much else. Maybe if they try to get him for some lesser crime and then hope he gets the maximum sentence......but no way he gets convicted of murder.

LAPD could've found other evidence we're not aware of.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
Does anyone know if Kathie's mother is still alive? I'm incredibly invested in knowing that she's alive to see this poo poo happen.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There is no possible way this guy didn't murder three people. There's evidence the wife never goes into the city, yet he says he talks to her after putting her on a train. Oh also, he's got a history of domestic violence. And she wanted to leave him.

And I'll bet anything he left some sort of DNA evidence at susans which led to his arrest again. Maybe it was a hoagie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wonder how good the supposed (unseen) evidence they have is. How much physical evidence can you suddenly get from a murder after nearly 15 years, anyway. The public evidence is really circumstantial and nothing his lawyers couldn't fairly easily argue against. The Morris Black case can't even enter into the proceedings since he was acquitted for the murder and never charged for the dismemberment, so in the eyes of the law all he's done is fleeing from justice, stolen a hoagie and allegedly pissed on a candy display at a store.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Stare-Out posted:

I wonder how good the supposed (unseen) evidence they have is. How much physical evidence can you suddenly get from a murder after nearly 15 years, anyway. The public evidence is really circumstantial and nothing his lawyers couldn't fairly easily argue against. The Morris Black case can't even enter into the proceedings since he was acquitted for the murder and never charged for the dismemberment, so in the eyes of the law all he's done is fleeing from justice, stolen a hoagie and allegedly pissed on a candy display at a store.

I think he's also been charged with firearm possession or something in NO.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Some sort of evidence they couldn't conclusively pin on him before the letter seems most likely. DNA maybe? Before the letter he could argue they were good friends anyway so finding his hair/skin/whatever around the house isn't that unusual.

illumn8d
Jul 24, 2002

If you've ever had someone grab your nutsack in a tussle then yank on it, you'll know why I greased the boys up.
The AP confused Fred Durst and Robert Durst and had to issue a correction today.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/03/17/ap-fred-durst-robert-durst/ -- This side by side photo makes it obvious how.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

xeria posted:

I think he's also been charged with firearm possession or something in NO.
Basically a bunch of really small charges and misdemeanors, nothing that comes even close to murder. I still think it's ludicrous that he wasn't charged for dismemberment at all. But double jeopardy still applies when it comes to Morris Black, right? Basically he's totally in the clear for that one? Or can they take it to the supreme court for a retrial or something? My knowledge of the US legal system comes from movies and TV, pretty much.

axeil posted:

Some sort of evidence they couldn't conclusively pin on him before the letter seems most likely. DNA maybe? Before the letter he could argue they were good friends anyway so finding his hair/skin/whatever around the house isn't that unusual.
Yeah, stuff like that can easily be explained. Something solid like a credible eyewitness coming forward or the murder weapon or ballistics match would probably be the only real ways to go about getting a guilty verdict unless he breaks down and confesses. The cadaver letter can place him at the scene after the murder but doesn't tie him to the actual act.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 17, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Let's talk about how hosed up it is that his mother was up on a roof getting ready to jump and his father gets him up out of bed to watch his mother die.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mahoning posted:

Let's talk about how hosed up it is that his mother was up on a roof getting ready to jump and his father gets him up out of bed to watch his mother die.

What's even weirder is that he described it like it was his dad coming in there and going "Hey son, wake up and come look at your mom being crazy on the roof? Cool huh? Alright go on back to bed now" and that's just odd as hell.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

illumn8d posted:

The AP confused Fred Durst and Robert Durst and had to issue a correction today.

http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/03/17/ap-fred-durst-robert-durst/ -- This side by side photo makes it obvious how.

Heh. You know, I've read Fred Durst's AMA and he actually seems to be a really chill, thoughtful dude.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Deadpool posted:

What's even weirder is that he described it like it was his dad coming in there and going "Hey son, wake up and come look at your mom being crazy on the roof? Cool huh? Alright go on back to bed now" and that's just odd as hell.

Durst's brother disputes this. He said the family's children were all whisked away to a neighbor's house during the whole ordeal and that Bob made that up to garner sympathy.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

I think it was supposed to be that Seymour was trying to convince her not to jump by bringing their son out. Robert just told the story in his weird detached way and forgot to explain that element.

When they interviewed Kathie's identical niece, I'm ashamed to say that my first thought was: They should dress her up as Kathie's ghost/zombie and have her confront Robert with his crimes in the middle of the night.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Basically a bunch of really small charges and misdemeanors, nothing that comes even close to murder. I still think it's ludicrous that he wasn't charged for dismemberment at all. But double jeopardy still applies when it comes to Morris Black, right? Basically he's totally in the clear for that one? Or can they take it to the supreme court for a retrial or something? My knowledge of the US legal system comes from movies and TV, pretty much.

In the U.S. if you are acquitted for a crime you cannot be charged with the same crime again. There's some weirdness around jurisdictions (if you murder a guy in Texas after driving him there from Oklahoma the Feds can charge and try you) but generally you can't be tried twice after receiving a not guilty verdict.

I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure about different degrees. E.g. if you're not guilty of 1st degree murder can you be tried under 2nd? My gut says no but I'm not sure.

Ave Azaria posted:

When they interviewed Kathie's identical niece, I'm ashamed to say that my first thought was: They should dress her up as Kathie's ghost/zombie and have her confront Robert with his crimes in the middle of the night.

My first thought was "holy poo poo she looks just like Kathie." And then a sentence later she basically says "yeah a lot of the family says that :smith:"

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 17, 2015

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The charges in LA are murder under special circumstances: murder of a witness, lying in wait, use of a firearm.

The first & last we could already figure; it's the second one that sounds oddly specific.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The charges in LA are murder under special circumstances: murder of a witness, lying in wait, use of a firearm.

The first & last we could already figure; it's the second one that sounds oddly specific.

I don't think it's all of those, it's just that you can charge first with special when one of those things happens. And Susan was both a witness and shot...

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ave Azaria posted:

Never be ashamed of an idea this awesome. Besides, he already fell for one tv cliche trap, there's no reason to think he'd evade this Scooby Doo one.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

I don't think it's all of those, it's just that you can charge first with special when one of those things happens. And Susan was both a witness and shot...

Unless things have changed, I just posted what the LA Times reported last night. Granted, I don't know what the bar is to meet "lying in wait".

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
This whole thing really reminds me of another millionaire, T. Cullen Davis. Not only did he get acquitted for killing his 12 year old stepdaughter (execution style) and ex-wife's boyfriend, he also got acquitted for hiring a hitman to kill the judge overseeing his divorce, even though he was caught on tape.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Unless things have changed, I just posted what the LA Times reported last night. Granted, I don't know what the bar is to meet "lying in wait".

Maybe Sareb is going to testify that Bob Durst was at Susan Berman's house when he left her and he had never told police because he thought Bob was innocent.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
It really makes me wonder how many wealthy murderers there are out there who weren't as stupid as Durst, and never even became suspects.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ave Azaria posted:

It really makes me wonder how many wealthy murderers there are out there who weren't as stupid as Durst, and never even became suspects.

I remember reading some statistic about how the rate of sociopathy in murderers is only rivaled by the rate of sociopathy in investment bankers

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

Maybe Sareb is going to testify that Bob Durst was at Susan Berman's house when he left her and he had never told police because he thought Bob was innocent.

That'd be an interesting development. The brief time they spent showing how money might be the motivating factor behind Sareb not even considering Bob's guilt seemed like an afterthought, but that whole segment did have a weird vibe to it...as if something was being left unsaid.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ave Azaria posted:

Well there's about 2,000 missing persons cases a year that go unresolved. So figure what a quarter? of those are people intentionally trying to drop off the grid and that leaves 1,750 potential homicides where there's no body. And when there's no body it's almost impossible to arrest, let alone convict.

Toxxupation posted:

I remember reading some statistic about how the rate of sociopathy in murderers is only rivaled by the rate of sociopathy in investment bankers

:ssh: that's because both have the same rate of sociopathy as the general populace.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

Robert Durst pushed his mother off the roof.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I love the attention to detail in this series. I was convinced of this when I noticed the Annie and Amadeus posters at the train station, both very appropriate to the time of Kathie's murder disappearance.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Enjoyed this series despite what I thought was Jarecki's unnecessary insertion of himself in eps 2-5. When Durst starting retching at the end of ep 6, was anyone else reminded of The Act of Killing ?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

ozza posted:

Enjoyed this series despite what I thought was Jarecki's unnecessary insertion of himself in eps 2-5. When Durst starting retching at the end of ep 6, was anyone else reminded of The Act of Killing ?

Yes, definitely. I was gonna suggest this move to anyone who watches this and is into people being confronted with their crimes.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

What happened to his head?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

doomisland posted:

:iiam:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 18, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

doomisland posted:

It's called a goatee.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wait are we talking about Jarecki or Morris Black

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Man, this is some seriously compelling tv. I really hope they finally charge him with these crimes and put this guy in a cell somewhere. It's a shame the judge'll probably throw the case out on account of the director's goatee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Wait are we talking about Jarecki or Morris Black

Why not both?

• Locked thread