Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I am terrible at mysteries.

Despite that, I'm going to guess and say that it was us. Somehow. Maybe during one of those weird glitches? That, or it was that one Pawn that wants to do everything for us. He killed the other guy to show us he's super tough, or something.

Did I mention I'm bad at solving mysteries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I don't think we have enough information on it yet.

That said, it could be that the guy who died was the traitor and he killed himself out of guilt or something?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Sixth update, finally. Things actually happen now, and a choice besets us.

What we know:

Right, something definitely is going on, I think that's clear now
    I still don't have a clue though

:siren:Please vote on our primary suspect for Rook 25 to keep an eye on:siren: This isn't a formal accusation, but having our main suspect under surveillance could come in handy should they try something else. It may also require us to trust Rook 25.

Here is the full set of characters, and their dispositions towards us.

Possible candidates (in my mind anyway, I still don't really know):

Rook 9, Wade Harris

Guilty:
    Has been listening in on everything, presumably knows the ship better than anyone
    Was the only other person definitely listening at the end when the attempt to kill Pawn 64 happened

Innocent:
    Nearly died, which is a real commitment to a cover story
    Seems pretty keen on us for an assassin

Pawn 4, Jens Skogan

Guilty:
    A total jerk
    One of the new members of the crew and thus a point of weakness?
    Clearly doesn't like us, and apparently the whole plan is to kill us

Innocent:
    Maybe too obvious?
    Doesn't have a C.I.C. (the mind implant officers use to talk) and it looks like our villain at least has access to one

Rook 13, Keiran Boyle

Guilty:
    A really weird guy
    Quite into his Guardian Church, of which I know nothing other than one of those textdumps where a previous CONSORTIUM team got shot by them (and also their book, his book, was at the murder scene)
    Another new crew member
    The call to Angelov was (maybe) placed from the Med Bay, his room

Innocent:
    Rook 25's brother, I don't know how well she'd take to us calling him our primary suspect
    Was the only guy to agree with us that it was a murder originally, which is a weird move for a killer
    We only know it's his book because uh, he told us without prompting

Knight 15, Taryn Fisher?

Guilty:
    Seems pretty keen to take us off the case all of a sudden, against the Queen's express orders
    Some kinda meeting is apparently required
    Now that I think about it, her master plan was to hand me over to the Homeless Mercenaries...

Innocent:
    How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Vote for anyone. This vote will close at 1600 GMT on Mon 18th. If you want any more information on characters, I found some psych eval-like reports in the terminal for the majority of the crew: but they've got some length to them so I'll just post screenshots on demand.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 16, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

... I think we're the killer, guys.

Hear me out. I think that this timestream thing we're doing is the cause of the virus on the ship. And I think the virus on the ship is what is causing people to die. We really are poison for everyone who spends too much time near us. I don't know who spilled information to Angelov, that wasn't us because it happened before we took this guy's body over, but I think it's separate from the killings.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okay, I'm inclined to think it is Rook 13. He seems the incredibly obvious choice, and he needs to at least be ruled out. The only person who can provide an alibi for him is constantly playing a VR game, and he just seems suspicious as all hell.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Okay, I'm inclined to think it is Rook 13. He seems the incredibly obvious choice, and he needs to at least be ruled out. The only person who can provide an alibi for him is constantly playing a VR game, and he just seems suspicious as all hell.
Since we can't vote that she investigate us, I propose that we ask her to keep an eye on anyone but Rook 13. He's her brother, it'll freak her out.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's not like they grew up together. She'll do it to prove that it is not him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

... I think we're the killer, guys.

Hear me out. I think that this timestream thing we're doing is the cause of the virus on the ship. And I think the virus on the ship is what is causing people to die. We really are poison for everyone who spends too much time near us. I don't know who spilled information to Angelov, that wasn't us because it happened before we took this guy's body over, but I think it's separate from the killings.

We can't accuse ourselves and the glitching out is us loosing time-stream connection to our Bishop host, not us going on murder sprees, I'm afraid.

I mean, it's a nice theory, but I think thinking too much about that is going to just distract us from the reality: Somebody on this ship has it in for us and it might be someone we've impressed quite a bit.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I won't vote since I've played it and know who did it, but I think there's some things that can happen if you never figure it out which I have not seen -- so I'm actually hoping for the thread to blow it! Bad luck, everyone!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I won't vote since I've played it and know who did it, but I think there's some things that can happen if you never figure it out which I have not seen -- so I'm actually hoping for the thread to blow it! Bad luck, everyone!

You just summarised my one playthrough.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Who was it who wanted to get us a coffee, back near the start? If they're trying to be semi-sneaky, that's a good "can't possibly be him" sort of tell.

I'm actually really impressed with this LP. I've had the game for ages -- I seem to remember backing it on KS -- but I've never made it past the first five minutes. No idea why. Just distracted by other things, probably.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ghostwoods posted:

Who was it who wanted to get us a coffee, back near the start? If they're trying to be semi-sneaky, that's a good "can't possibly be him" sort of tell.
Pawn 44 was the weirdly friendly and energetic guy right after we woke up. He specifically invited 64 to a party at one point.

gently caress it, voting for him.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

JT Jag posted:

Pawn 44 was the weirdly friendly and energetic guy right after we woke up. He specifically invited 64 to a party at one point.

Thanks. I was totally blanking.

Yeah. Let's watch P44.

You never really know what 'level' of detective-mystery-ness an unfamiliar writer is working at. It makes it difficult to guess how subtle you need to be.

The obvious person sometimes is the correct one, say Rook 13 or Pawn 4 -- which does happen when the mystery aspects are a bolt on -- or, one grade down, the most obvious 'but they never would' person, like Knight 15 or the Queen.

The next layer of misdirection tends to include the "I curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal" characters, like Rooks 9 and 25, or Pawn 44. Below that, the writer expects you to find some subtle discrepancies and hints pointing you to someone who has pretty much faded into the background -- Pawn 32, to pick a totally random character. (I haven't noticed any subtle discrepancies or hints, but then again, I'm rubbish at murder mysteries!)

The bottom layer is the Agatha Christie method, where you write the entire script/book/whatever with every single character innocent, and then randomly decide on one of them before writing the final chapter. Then you go back through and put in three or four tiny hints implicating them, things that will be totally invisible until you know who actually did it. This is unpopular with modern mystery writers because there's no feasible way to solve it. Doesn't seem to stop readers loving it, of course...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Actually I just read the character bio for Pawn 44 on the Consortium kickstarter page and apparently he's a high-functioning autist so he's just that way normally, so I un-vote him and am reconsidering my vote

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Since we can't vote that she investigate us, I propose that we ask her to keep an eye on anyone but Rook 13. He's her brother, it'll freak her out.

You can, however, ask her to keep an eye on herself. While I'm pretty certain that Miss Ireland didn't actually do it, this is comical enough that I'm going to vote for it anyway. Rook 25!

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Rook 9, because he seems to be too innocent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I just re-watched the detective video, and while a lot of people have kind of lovely alibis that might not hold up under scrutiny, I think there's only two people who have outright hosed alibis: Pawn 32 and Pawn 4. Pawn 4 claimed that they had been together all day and Pawn 32 said she left at one point and doesn't have an alibi for where she went.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

The bottom layer is the Agatha Christie method, where you write the entire script/book/whatever with every single character innocent, and then randomly decide on one of them before writing the final chapter. Then you go back through and put in three or four tiny hints implicating them, things that will be totally invisible until you know who actually did it. This is unpopular with modern mystery writers because there's no feasible way to solve it. Doesn't seem to stop readers loving it, of course...

Would Murders in Midsomer be the opposite of this then since everyone on that show reads like someone that is guilty before the final 20 minutes?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Are we still voting? A vote for pawn 4.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Are we still voting? A vote for pawn 4.

We are still voting! Vote closes at 1600 GMT, 18th.

Vote count

Pawn 4 - 2
Rook 9 - 1
Rook 25 - 1
Rook 13 - 1
Pawn 44 - 1

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pawn 4 is the newest guy on the ship, he's abrasive, no one likes him, and he apparently lied about where someone else was when Pawn 7 died, which implies he made the alibi up to cover for himself. He's the obvious choice for this. Almost too obvious, really. I can't help but think that'd be just... too easy?

... That said, I suppose using Rook 25 to keep an eye on him wouldn't hurt, to see if maybe these concerns can be cleared up at all. Pawn 4.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Well that vote probably closed yesterday, huh. Pawn 4 is the target of the thread's suspicions. I hope to God we're right.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
As a Norwegian, I am slightly offended.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, this is getting really good. I'm terrible at mysteries, so I have no idea who-dunnit, although I am suspicious as hell at Pawn 4 and also Rook 13's not-buddy in medical who claims to be playing games all day. I honestly don't buy it, she's up to something and is using his weirdness as cover for whatever she's up to.

Knight 15's order seems well-intentioned, but I think everything is going to go to hell if we follow that order. Are you going to hit up the VR training before we go talk to the boss?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
As a Swede, I nod approvingly.

God, this game is really pushing all of the Star Trek buttons, isn't it?

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

LoonShia posted:

God, this game is really pushing all of the Star Trek buttons, isn't it?

I'm rather more intrigued by the chess theme the game has going on. I think it must figure in more than just the ranks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The occasional bit of chess decor around the place is actually really well done. Clean iconography and a nice color.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Are they working on a second game? I could easily see this as a series.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yes, though work is going kinda slow. I think the next game is going to do an odd side-shift though, not pick up where this game would logically go.

But we will get to that horse eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
They've posted a trailer for the next game at thetowerprophecy.com

I don't think it's a spoiler, it didn't seem like one to me. It looks good!

• Locked thread