Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Those two hooded people... did they do some of the voices in Psychonauts? They sound like those two snooty girls, or the actors in that actresses' psyche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Was just about to post that. Anyway, realy glad this LP is alive; it got me interested in the game and at the same time realize I wouldn't have the patience to put up with a lot of those puzzles. Here's hoping for a successful end.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
"It's so..."
"Perfect."
"...small."
"I love science!"

The spoon is a wonderful little side character.

I hope things are getting better for you Allison cause I'm really enjoying this LP.

Samovar posted:

Those two hooded people... did they do some of the voices in Psychonauts? They sound like those two snooty girls, or the actors in that actresses' psyche.

You're thinking of Frankie and Kitty who were voiced by two other people. According to IMDB Dead Eye Dawn was voiced by Ginny Westcott who voiced Lungfish Mom (from Lungfishopolus) and Den Mother (from The Milkman Conspiracy) and Dead Eye Courtney was voiced by Nikki Rapp, who's main contribution to Psychonauts was voicing Lili Zanotto. You're on the right track, but wrong people. Then again, this is Double Fine, they tend to use the same people in a lot of their games.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Ben Kasack posted:

I hope things are getting better for you Allison cause I'm really enjoying this LP.

Thanks. I'm in a much better place right now. I'm going to knock out another episode after work tonight to trey and make up for the absence. I'm glad you're enjoying the LP.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Next episode is rendering. Should be up in the next couple of hours.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
:siren: As promised, new episode is live! :siren:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Extreme crocheting is never not funny.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm not sure how I feel about those puzzles; they're a bit... thematically off? Even if they're good puzzles in the first place? I mean Vella points out, there's no way SHE would be able to know what to do for that pattern.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Vella stabbed the poo poo out of that robot.

Anyway, I got to agree, I think this whole part could have done better puzzle-wise if Vella and Shay had made some form of contact. That way it makes sense within the narrative and gives the protagonists time to bounce off of each other. It's not like there wasn't a ton of space for humor between them and their clashing view points.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Even worse examples of the characters magically gaining knowledge to solve puzzles awaits us in the near future. The next Shay episode is recorded. Just need to sub it and render it out. After that we're in the home stretch!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Next Episode!

Some great dialogue in this one. And some good plot development. Also some mild nudity. This video also marks the end of Act 2 proper. The remaining videos will cover what Double Fine refers to as "The Finale." Still plenty of gameplay and story left though!

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
And here I thought we were just gonna pass each other again. Glad I was wrong.

But things can't end well what with being shot at and all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh... we aren't supposed to know what Marekai's deal is, right? Apart from selective kidnapping.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
All questions will be answered in the next episode!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Silly Vella; you don't bake a cake then put it in an oven!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The druids were pretty great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's some really great bits in there - the druids, "and then it hit me", just about everything Lightbeard, etc. It's definitely a charming game, not sure why it generated such an outrage, since people seem to hate Schafer's guts by now.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

There's some really great bits in there - the druids, "and then it hit me", just about everything Lightbeard, etc. It's definitely a charming game, not sure why it generated such an outrage, since people seem to hate Schafer's guts by now.

It wasn't so much the game (although it certainly has its flaws) as the general incompetence when it comes to deadlines and such. And feature creep, too, I suppose.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

anilEhilated posted:

It's definitely a charming game, not sure why it generated such an outrage, since people seem to hate Schafer's guts by now.

The charm goes a long way toward helping me overlook any of the game's shortcomings. Only one more episode left guys. It's taking a bit longer to finish than the rest but look out for it soon.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, while we wait... who wants a cupcake?

Anyone?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
No way it has dad spit on it. The worst kind of spit.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Final Episodes are live!

Credits were a bit long so I put them in their own video and made my own ending. You should totally watch the credits though because they include several cute epilogue drawings. Thanks everyone for watching and please stay tuned for my next project!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All those wiring puzzles, blargh. Once again, thanks for showing off a game I'd get way too frustrated by to play through myself.
edit: One thing I didn't get - the bit where the Big Bad made way for whatever it was - who's Levina?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 28, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Well that was friggin' incredible. Thank you so much for LP'ing this! I never realized that some of the VA's were big names like Jack Black and Pendleton Ward.

Edit: Levina was the old jerk woman in the very first section who was fretting about the Maiden's Feast. I think the grandfather says she was one of the town leaders that pushed for Steel Bunting to become Sugar Bunting, and work on baking instead of fighting. They were supposedly one of the biggest and baddest groups of fighters back in the day, according to Alex, and so it seems like Levina was sent to infiltrate and disarm them 80 years ago to make the maiden gathering go more easily.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 28, 2015

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

anilEhilated posted:

All those wiring puzzles, blargh. Once again, thanks for showing off a game I'd get way too frustrated by to play through myself.
edit: One thing I didn't get - the bit where the Big Bad made way for whatever it was - who's Levina?

Levina was featured back in the second episode of my LP of Act 1. She was an elder from Vella's village Sugar Bunting and was instrumental in the village giving up fighting and it's acceptance of the Maiden's Feast ceremony.

Edit: What he said!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Captain Bravo posted:

Well that was friggin' incredible. Thank you so much for LP'ing this! I never realized that some of the VA's were big names like Jack Black and Pendleton Ward.

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed my silly credits. The game cutting off with Shay's smile instantly made me think of the idea. Sometimes I'm not sure how my brain works.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

For anyone reading who is thinking about skipping the second video with the credits, don't. God, some of the payoffs, like the Yarn dudes in the ice cream that survived the meltdown... This game is so drat good. :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, wow. I actually didn't realize they weren't in the game originally.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
For anyone who didn't get the reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teJwLb1Bh4k

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Captain Bravo posted:

For anyone reading who is thinking about skipping the second video with the credits, don't. God, some of the payoffs, like the Yarn dudes in the ice cream that survived the meltdown... This game is so drat good. :allears:

Thought about this so I created a separate video for this stuff. Enjoy!

And with that the LP is officially done. Thanks to everyone who stuck with me.

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 28, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

This LP is the loving poster child for "High Production Values" :thumbsup:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I like the game as seen from the perspective of an LP viewer, but I have no idea why you're doing any of the things you're doing in the final act. Okay, sure, there are some immediate problems that need to be resolved but they kind of are done for the sake of being done and then somehow it ends up being this bigger plan that doesn't seem to be hinted at or really explicated. Why are we blowing up the ships? Why did we need to rewire the hexapal? We got Hope out of the control room so we can grapple the ships...why? Obviously it ends well but it seems the puzzles aren't nearly as obtuse as the motivation for the characters to do any of this.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

kw0134 posted:

I like the game as seen from the perspective of an LP viewer, but I have no idea why you're doing any of the things you're doing in the final act. Okay, sure, there are some immediate problems that need to be resolved but they kind of are done for the sake of being done and then somehow it ends up being this bigger plan that doesn't seem to be hinted at or really explicated. Why are we blowing up the ships? Why did we need to rewire the hexapal? We got Hope out of the control room so we can grapple the ships...why? Obviously it ends well but it seems the puzzles aren't nearly as obtuse as the motivation for the characters to do any of this.

I mostly agree with all of this. I tried my best to try and convey the motivations through my subtitles but I could only do so much.

Captain Bravo posted:

Thanks. I try. :smuggo:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Agreed.

And I think I will stick by the belief that part 2 would have flowed a lot better in general with Vella and Shay having a set of walkie talkies to communicate with each other or something. As it is, they both just kind of exist too parallel to each other in the story which doesn't really mix well with how important both of them are, especially as foils to one another. It was really jarring at the end where Shay just says he has a gut feeling about Vella, who he barely even knows.

Aside from that, the game was really enjoyable and the characters were all a lot of fun to watch develop over time. And it was really gratifying to see Vella subvert the damsel arm grab.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Aside from that, the game was really enjoyable and the characters were all a lot of fun to watch develop over time. And it was really gratifying to see Vella subvert the damsel arm grab.
It's pretty clear from the start that Vella is the badass character; if you just compare what the two achieve during the game, Shay doesn't come out of it too impressively. Marekai really should've gone for Shay, especially since he knew it.
Of course, the real hero of the game was Gary all along.

One thing that impressed me was Vella's VA, in a game with a celebrity vocie cast, she easily stood out (well, she and Alex, but that's a different story). All the more surprising since according to imdb her most common role is "additional voices".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 28, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ramos posted:

And I think I will stick by the belief that part 2 would have flowed a lot better in general with Vella and Shay having a set of walkie talkies to communicate with each other or something. As it is, they both just kind of exist too parallel to each other in the story which doesn't really mix well with how important both of them are, especially as foils to one another. It was really jarring at the end where Shay just says he has a gut feeling about Vella, who he barely even knows.

Giving the utensils some kind of communication function would have been perfect. Both Shay and Vella have one, neither the spoon or the knife have any other function in the final segment, plus it would have given us even more dialogue from the best character in the game. Just handwave away some reason for the fork, spoon, and knife to be able to communicate with each other when nearby.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, this was a nice game, but I honestly feel it was a bit rushed at the end; the bad guys role was a bit too much expisitionary-dialoguey, the wiring puzzles were good, but again didn't make sense from a story background.

It's strange for me to say it, since I usually think a lot of games would benefit from being snappier, but I think this game would have been better if it was longer.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah, the way Shay and Vella were able to coordinate their efforts without outwardly communicating was weird. I'd like to think they had some sort of mental connection that develops throughout the game and they give each other hints, but that's reaching to an extreme degree.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
That was a major problem that most people had. Having to switch characters to solve puzzles wasn't something you had to do in the first act and Act 2 offers little to no hint pushing you in that direction so many people just got frustrated when they couldn't solve Shay's first wiring puzzle or Vella's nav scarf puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So the strange crystalline head protrusions aren't explained? The best I can figure is that one of the impurities made them either live extremely long lives or they no longer die from old age. With the downside that they have the growths coming out of them now. And probably infertile, since the whole maiden thing is to let them survive for a few generations. But then there's also only three characters with the crystal 'hair', everyone else on the spaceship side of the dam seems to be normal, especially with the epilogue credits scene. I'm going with crystal because of the dialog implying that's what they were going for.

The dialog implies that they're fragile because of it, but Markei somehow survived a bomb explosion that caused a chain reaction. And then somehow got onto a ship that was in the air. I'd say it was some sort of small boarding craft, but there was no hint that such a thing even existed.

Just wolf boy had to suddenly show up to be defeated a second time, so that no one thinks he died.

It just really gives off the feeling of 'we ran out of time/money to get everything in, so we polish what we actually can get done.' Especially with the puzzles that have solutions rooted in having knowledge that the characters would not have because they can't even see them. It'd be a copout but there could have been a 'psychic connection' opened up due to actually seeing each other. But such a thing was never even implied, unless that was talking about the 'instinct' thing.

If the hint system explains why they can share information without being in contact, then that just strikes me as 'poor design'. Though I guess you might be able to communicate ship to ship when you fix the radio which I'm not even sure the reason for fixing it is, since there was attempted communication without it (unless there's some sort of dialog you skipped? Was it mic only before the radio was going?). Other than getting the Hexipal for setting up the death ray power/distraction to stop it from being shut down.

• Locked thread