Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Alright, looks like it's time for the last of the videos I managed to make last week before my vacation. I'll be getting home sunday so expect the next update.... sometime next week, I guess, no promises :v:

4 - Lethal Lava Land

frozentreasure posted:

Also, every titan has two themes that alternate with each attempt, and it's pretty much always worth hearing both of them.

If the area in the next video is the one I think it's going to be, I'm really looking forward to one titan in particular. It makes such an awe-inspiring first impression.

Incidentally, every boss actually has only one theme (though they are all unique), but every single one has two different entry points, which shakes things up a bit when you're refighting a titan a ton of times. I kept meaning to mention it in a video and just kept forgetting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's magma while it's underground, it's Lava while it's above ground. :science:

If you can see it with your eyes it's probably lava.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 23, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Unless you have gone for one hell of a trip into some kind of mine, if you can see it its Lava, not Magma.

Vicas posted:

Incidentally, every boss actually has only one theme (though they are all unique), but every single one has two different entry points, which shakes things up a bit when you're refighting a titan a ton of times. I kept meaning to mention it in a video and just kept forgetting

That is actually really clever and now I'm wondering why more games don't do this with musical themes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

That is actually really clever and now I'm wondering why more games don't do this with musical themes.

IIRC Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance did this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So we fought a d6 and a d20, where the hell poor is underrepresented d12?

edit: The lava monster looks like has a little pink bow to indicate it's a girl. Gender stereotypes much?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 23, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I notice you are using the real names of the Titans in this video versus not in the previous ones? Is that an intentional change? I've never played this game so I don't know if that's like a Wind Waker thing where you read the Titan's scripts on the second playthrough or something

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The skull titan goes into a frenzy when you make it turn in one full circle in the direction of the side of the spike ball that is currently attacking you. If it's on the titan's left, it needs to be a full circle anti-clockwise, if it's its right, a full circle clockwise.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Alright, crystal bow lava sphere was adorbs.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So are you editing your video in your head when you record these Vicas? Because it seemed like you went into fast forward a couple times and managed to have a thought end and begin before and after. Anyways I like the live version of the commentary.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

I notice you are using the real names of the Titans in this video versus not in the previous ones? Is that an intentional change? I've never played this game so I don't know if that's like a Wind Waker thing where you read the Titan's scripts on the second playthrough or something

As far as I noticed, he only used the name of the knight, whose name appeared in English anyways.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

He used the name of the mushroom, presumably, he pointed it out in text on the video. I haven't played the game so I'm assuming that's who he was referring to, anyways.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Beautiful game. Really looking forward to watching the rest of it.

Edit: You keep saying chains where I feel the word shackles would be more appropriate.

Also this game really shows the idea that video games are a modern form of art when made with love, care and attention to your subject/message. It's a far cry from the high turnover, easy appeal design of the Call of Duty franchise or the mostly stock standard JRPG Final Fantasy style of game; the ones designed to sell in numbers to a specific demographic/s.

For me this game is already up there with things like the Baldurs Gate saga, the Tell Tale games titles, Darkest Dungeon and Spec Ops: The Line in terms of using a video game as medium for art and artistic expression. Absolutely beautiful.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 27, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
For me this game is a failed (if honest) attempt to ape SotC's atmosphere, saved by the elegance of its central mechanic. I had fun with the original Ludum Dare version but I don't know who finished that and thought "That really needed yet more wandering around a dull world, and also cryptic monologuing from not-Dormin"

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Nighthand posted:

He used the name of the mushroom, presumably, he pointed it out in text on the video. I haven't played the game so I'm assuming that's who he was referring to, anyways.

Well right, but the guy I was replying to said "in this video."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Jalathas posted:

Well right, but the guy I was replying to said "in this video."

Yeah I thought he was saying their names in the video. Like I don't know their names, but it sounded like he was saying actual names when referring to the Titans at some points.

Maybe I'm deaf.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
It's sort of just convenience on my part to come up with fake names for various bosses, because I have to refer to them as something and sometimes their actual names just come out. However, Obello and Elhanan are the only actually correct names I've used so far

After the main game you unlock a mode that translates the titan script, so I'll be making a video that goes over names and the things we learn from them

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
And now it's time for the final area before the second gate, the Frost Mountains!

Action dentistry!
Ice, Ice, Baby

(might need a bit for the higher quality versions to finish processing, thanks youtube)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Pooping Yeti confirmed for best titan.

Edit: I am juvenile as gently caress. I laughed every time you said BUT during the Yeti encounter.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

That water snake, alongside you and your three attempts to kill it, can go eat a million dicks. :mad:

I didn't keep a per-titan count, but I'd be willing to bet that thing was the cause of more of my deaths than any other titan in the game. Either I didn't properly judge his location/speed when going back into the water and missed the shot vertically, or I just plain aimed wrong and missed the shot horizontally, or it was like that first shot you took against the Yeti where everything looked right but it just...didn't work. On top of that, it never even occurred to me to sit in the water and swim to a platform because instead I noticed the iceberg physics early and didn't want to be in the water more than I had to. The end result was that at the beginning of every attempt I dragged my stubborn rear end over to the two bottom icebergs and the two top icebergs and arrow-dragged them closer to the three in the middle so I could roll from a platform most of the way to another platform.

Fun fact: Thanks to pulling the icebergs closer to each other I discovered (and got an achievement for discovering) that it is entirely possible to run out of icebergs, since he only drops two new icebergs each time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like it's pertinent information to mention that the theme music for the Yeti is called "Yeti Butts".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEP-BtQNiEQ

It's also pretty sweet.

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO

JavaJesus posted:

That water snake, alongside you and your three attempts to kill it, can go eat a million dicks. :mad:

I am actually surprised to see people say that the water snake is so tough. I thought he was a pretty easy boss, and I thought the Yeti was way harder than the water snake. I suppose that is kind of a good example of what makes this game so great: there is a lot of differences between everyone's playthroughs.

Edit: By people I mean Vicas and JavaJesus.

SirShakes fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 29, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if you mentioned it before, but will you be translating the titan names and titles at some point?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I got around to finishing the game and I think I officially love this game.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I've not beaten the game but of all the Titans I've fought, that drat electric eel thing is my least favorite of the bunch. Took me forever to kill it, and nearly gave up several times.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Goddamn I love this game's music.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I feel like the water Titan is hard\people are having so much trouble with it because it's a little misleading about what you should be doing. It's really easy to think "Eek big swimming thing I better stay out of the water or it will eat me!" And then try and spend as much of the fight as possible standing on icebergs. Then you notice that you can move icebergs with your arrows and you start faffing about with that instead of just swimming about in the water which is actually not dangerous at all despite what you'd think.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!

Neruz posted:

nstead of just swimming about in the water which is actually not dangerous at all despite what you'd think.

Except for the part where it can electrocute the entire lake at once :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

anilEhilated posted:

Not sure if you mentioned it before, but will you be translating the titan names and titles at some point?

That'll be in a bonus video, yes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Electric Eel boss seems like the most direct reference to SOTC in this game.

Also I came here second after the woods. Which is good, because it's easier than the lava area.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ice was the first area I went to before ending the gate, and forest was the last. So I think I did this in reverse order to you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I did Ice then Forest and then completely overlooked Lava my first time through

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I don't think I've ever finished a Let's Play in the space of a month, this is weird

The Titan and The Soul

For how much I moan about it in the vid, I actually started to appreciate the last fight a bit more as I was fighting it. All in all still kinda falls slightly to the bad side of the bullshit line, though

(not that we're done here)

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I love the slightly squishy *smack* the game makes whenever a fist crushes you into paste. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Huh, I was expecting one more area before the game ran out of content.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I was stuck at this boss for a while, because I could not believe the game expected me to do the bullshit thing I needed to do.

I thought it had something to do with making the arrows collide.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually liked the Soul. It's very difficult, but it never felt un-manageable and it's the "final" boss so it's understandable that it's nasty. I managed to get it even though I was using a keyboard and could only aim with the eight cardinal directions. Everything about it thematically is amazing too. How it spawns, the fact that it dodges your first attack, both of you able to pull in both arrows, and finally the way it stares at its own corpse for a few seconds before fading away.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 9, 2015

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

It looks like he's aiming where you're going to be which is pretty cool, if true.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yo, if anyone is interested, Titan Souls is 50% on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/297130/

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Blind Sally posted:

Yo, if anyone is interested, Titan Souls is 50% on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/297130/

I am horrible at games like this but I snagged the collectors edition just for the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Alright, I think it's about time we finish the main game up

Truth

And that's the game. I do still have some bonus episodes in mind, though, so hope you'll stick around for those

• Locked thread