Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
That's just his whiskey drinking pose. Are you saying you don't stand on the same place when you drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Arelon posted:

Ryan's been drinking that same glass of whiskey in the same pose for several hours.

There's absolutely no alcohol or drugs on campus. He brought it from home and it's going to last the whole night dammit :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The worn out numbers on the pad don't match the password, do they?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

The worn out numbers on the pad don't match the password, do they?

There were I think 6 numbers worn out and one of the code numbers wasn't.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 7 - 11 PM

We're closing in on the killer, maybe? All I know is the hours seem to be getting shorter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ghostwoods posted:

"11 o'clock. Just one hour to solve this thing."

What? Why? That's not how police operate, for God's sake!

"Good evening, sir. I'm going to give myself an arbitrary time limit to solve this crime, and keep on bullying you repeatedly until the small hours of the morning by forcing you to squint at all the petty crap I've filched from your neighbours."

:psyboom:

At midnight the Blue Fairy turns him back into a mannequin from the costume shop unless he can earn his humanity.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Woah, I hope that wasn't good Scotch!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Spookyelectric posted:

Woah, I hope that wasn't good Scotch!

If it wasn't that is going to be a pain to clean up.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Major_JF posted:

If it wasn't that is going to be a pain to clean up.

It's their next...test.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ryan sure is wonderful in that episode. So. Much. Ham.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
That night scene looked like daytime video with a blue hue filter on top of it. I mean, sure it's difficult to film in the dark and replicate what the human eye sees, but that was weird looking.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you play the original tablet version, literally every outdoor location and scene is blue-filtered from the start. It's very distracting and makes it hard to tell just how much time has passed.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Given all the breaking and entering we are doing, and now at night times, if this took place in Texas Jenks would have been legally shot dead several times by now.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Koboje posted:

Given all the breaking and entering we are doing, and now at night times, if this took place in Texas Jenks would have been legally shot dead several times by now.

Yeah, I keep thinking how there'd be no way an American gaming audience would believe any of this taking place in the States. Unlocked cars? Openly walking into back yards? Repeat visits from police within the same hour?

"Why isn't Jenks carrying a gun? Is he insane?" yes

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Spookyelectric posted:

Yeah, I keep thinking how there'd be no way an American gaming audience would believe any of this taking place in the States. Unlocked cars? Openly walking into back yards? Repeat visits from police within the same hour?

"Thank you, may be back later with more questions."

"Dude, it's after midnight and I have the starting shift tomorrow."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Spookyelectric posted:

Is he insane?
This gave me an idea for a Contradiction-like in which you're a secretly insane investigator on a murder case in a tiny village, where absolutely everyone blacked out for some reason and can't remember the events immediately surrounding the murder. Then you realise the only way to solve this poo poo is to make somebody believe they did it by discreetly setting up the evidence and asking leading questions. The game's scoring system awards the most elaborate designs, with "the wife did it" being the cheapest shot while the highest ranking setup involves a trained budgie, a city-wide Rube Goldberg machine and the perp not present in the area on the day of the murder due to not having been born yet.
The true solution of the case is never revealed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SirDifferential posted:

That night scene looked like daytime video with a blue hue filter on top of it. I mean, sure it's difficult to film in the dark and replicate what the human eye sees, but that was weird looking.

They blew all their money on acting classes for Jenks' eyebrows.

Also some Grade A Terrible "I'M ACTING MAD" acting from Ryan. I love it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

This gave me an idea for a Contradiction-like in which you're a secretly insane investigator on a murder case in a tiny village, where absolutely everyone blacked out for some reason and can't remember the events immediately surrounding the murder. Then you realise the only way to solve this poo poo is to make somebody believe they did it by discreetly setting up the evidence and asking leading questions. The game's scoring system awards the most elaborate designs, with "the wife did it" being the cheapest shot while the highest ranking setup involves a trained budgie, a city-wide Rube Goldberg machine and the perp not present in the area on the day of the murder due to not having been born yet.
The true solution of the case is never revealed.
The true solution is that the protagonist did it so he can have some fun. Still, would play the hell out of that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

They blew all their money on acting classes for Jenks' eyebrows.

Also some Grade A Terrible "I'M ACTING MAD" acting from Ryan. I love it.

I don't know if they started out trying not to act corny, but I think at some point early in editing they decided to roll with it.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Spookyelectric posted:

There are still quaint little villages in America where nobody locks any of their stuff and everybody knows about everything so they would know all about the detective wandering through their backyard. They're just a lot harder to find.

A couple years ago there was a string of robberies in my grandparent's town, a couple kids just walked into everybody's house and took stuff because nobody locks their side doors.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
"I wonder if he protests just a little too much..." -- or if he's been goaded well past the threshold of a nervous breakdown by an absolute lunatic in a badly-dented hat.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Episode 8 - Midnight

So ends the tale of Jenks... for now.

The LP isn't quite over yet. I've got at least two bonus videos in mind; one I already mentioned will be a compilation of the Chief's advice.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw drat, I really thought it'd be James, although for similar reasons. One hell of an abrupt ending, even with the sequel hook: here's hoping it happens, we need more Jenks and Paul.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wow, that was a legitimately awful mystery. :v: I was entertained the whole way through just by Jenks antics, but that was solvable in no way other than "hmmmmm who is the least obviously relevant character."

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Well, that was a thoroughly unsatisfying conclusion to an otherwise interesting game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They build up all that crazy poo poo going on, and then the murder is the most mundane thing imaginable.

And we had a tape clue Jenks ignored for the entire case right there.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was extremely entertaining. Paul Darrow makes for a very plausible Satanic businessman. The ending was random, but it was always going to be. Here's hoping they get the cash for another episode :)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I really hope they can make a sequel of this. I loved everything about the presentation, the acting, the premise... Yeah, the ending was unsatisfying but it left me wanting to know what the hell was up with the satanic business cult and if I never find out I'll be so mad :argh:

Would never have heard of this without this LP, so thanks for making it!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
What a disappointment of an ending. Everything Jenks did was basically for nothing.

I did enjoy the ride though, even though the story got way out of hand at the end there.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Arelon posted:

Everything Jenks did was basically for nothing.

I get the feeling that's quite common for Inspector Jenks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The ending might have been a let-down but at least there was never a lack of entertaining emoting. Spending so much time building up potentially much more entertaining plot points but only for a sequel may not have been the best use of time though.

The dedication right at the end caught me slightly off-guard, "Wait, is Paul Darrow dead?" Not quite used to seeing end-credit dedications to living people :v:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Oh gently caress this game is great. It's a shame Jenks sense didn't lead me to this thread earlier.

Ending was a bit left of field though and the world's most obvious sequelhook for a game with at best questionable chances of being made just hurts.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The sequel should be Jenks attempting to cover up a murder...of the real Inspector Jenks :tinfoil:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I really hope that Jenks can be in more stuff. Rupert Booth is such a fun actor.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Well, due to various technical fuckups, it's only taken me three weeks and four more playthroughs of the game, but it was worth it to introduce you to the best character in the game:

Bonus Episode 1 - Chief Calls

Yes, at the end, the Chief is watching The Wicker Man. Apropos.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Oh my God, the poor chief. Jenks is like one of those baffled old men who go up to the counter in shops and say "This is the counter, is it? I pay here, do I? So I should give you my money, should I?"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I finished watching this LP and enjoyed it. I'm hoping the makers follow up and answer the questions they set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010
As FMV games go it was actually pretty good and I hope it gets a sequel. Speaking of which, is the second bonus video still forthcoming?

• Locked thread