Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Oh my god, Whisper constantly keeps becoming even more The Best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

kalonZombie posted:

Oh my god, Whisper constantly keeps becoming even more The Best.

And he deserves the best

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011
I thought the baker's voice also sounded familiar. Oh. Right. None other than Michael Gough.

Seriously, this game has a ton of great voice acting talent.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Huh....this lp series is actually making think of getting this game. Which is amazing because I'm an old-school KQ player, and I thought this thing was an evil piece of poo poo when I first saw it.

Now, while I still think it's different than the old KQ games, I'm beginning to appreciate the differences and I might be willing to try it out, despite the supposed dick move you mention.

Speaking of said dick move, just a thought here (I'm not trying to start anything here, seriously just a thought and nothing more).

Your comment seems to imply that the dick move is in fact, a fact. This thread and all other sources that I could find don't have any concrete proof that the Kickstarter money was stolen. It would be better if you mentioned that they allegedly stole money rather than that they did steal money (since you have no proof of it).

Leaving it the way you have it when nobody has supplied concrete proof kinda comes off, as you put it, as a loving dick move.

NOTE: I'm not saying that it's bad to believe that this happened (and maybe it did, since there's no proof saying otherwise), I just think the initial post is accidentally dishonest about it, and might color one's preconception of this game (it almost did for me, thank goodness I actually read the thread).

I really like your lp so far, and I hope I didn't make you angry with this post. Believe me when I say that it's not my intention to rock the boat.

Also, holy poo poo that really is Gaston!! How did I not realize that at first :bang:

mauman fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 2, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

mauman posted:

I really like your lp so far, and I hope I didn't make you angry with this post. Believe me when I say that it's not my intention to rock the boat.

Nah, you're fine. The source is credible but nobody else has really said much about it. It's probably one of those things where we'll never really know what happened. I might go back and rewrite the OP or add an addendum to it one day.

Anyway, the video is late because I'm a big dummy dumb dumb who thought I didn't have any more backlog but it turns out I did and now I feel like a sillybutt.

Episode 5: The Tale of Achaka the Great

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 2, 2015

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Achaka!! Staaaaaaaallllaaaaaaammmaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was surprisingly touching. Really good direction in this game.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Holy loving poo poo....

well, I found a conclusive (not speculative) reason to NOT buy this game.

Seems that the eventual epilogue episode is for the complete version only. You can't get it if you buy episodically, and you can't get it if you buy the season pass. And Activision has no plans to release it.

That's some seriously bullshit business practice right there :psyduck:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aw naw. Wisnae expecting that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
One person was fortunate enough to get a refund and a code from The Odd Gentlemen when they raised that about their PS4 version of things, but unfortunately I don't think even with Steam refunds one can pull it off (and admittedly, an option to swap out episode games for their complete sets now seems like an obvious in hindsight option).

On the game itself: This is actually the only mission related to finding an eye that is technically mandatory in the game. If you don't choose it, Achaka is still missing when the next round of the contest begins, and Graham is volunteered to go find him so they can sort out the paperwork of Achaka's disqualification (due to being late). Personally, its actually slightly more tragic if you do that version and yell out Stalama at the end. You just want him out, but can't do anything to save him. Also, in reference to this from previously:

JamieTheD posted:

For example, there are three paths Graham can take, adventure wise: Charm, Wits, or Violence. Three of those are embodied (Albeit in overriding, often negative aspects) in Whisper, Manny, and Acron respectively. Achaka is only sort of the odd one out here, as an option that's often (But not always) available to Graham is his archery skills... And Achaka has that in spades.

As to negative aspects, Whisper is Pride, Manny is Overconfidence, Akron is stubborn independence, and, again, Achaka is sort of the odd one out, as we don't really know enough about him yet to be sure.

Achaka is a parallel to Graham, but more in a mostly positive sense. He is, at least physically, the ideal knight - certainly, he's Graham's ideal, in that he both has Graham (young and old) admiring him, but also possesses the archery skills that Graham ultimately comes to emulate. His biggest flaw is one he largely cannot help, that being his inability to communicate, though he quickly finds at least some measure around that. But it would undoubtedly hamper his services to the King, and ultimately, his role as King. Graham, being an adventure game protagonist, is all about communicating to solve problems, whether his own or someone else's.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Samovar posted:

I was actually expecting that, sort of:

When you find the bow in the first mission, it has a skeletal hand attached to it. When I saw Achaka's bow, I thought, "Hey, that looks a lot like the bow from the first... aw, crap." Then in the last scene, I thought "Wait, you're actually going to pull it off and it's going to be someone else's corpse..." You know, I kind of understand why Graham would be feeling a bit vengeful there at the end of the first episode, though the player would have no way of knowing that at the time.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Samovar posted:

SHALAMA! :cry:

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Wow, I am really enjoying this. This might be the best Pixar movie I've ever seen played, or something. This coming from someone who actually likes the admittedly overhyped movie Frozen. The characters are silly, but heartwarming nonetheless, and the scenery is breathtaking, which I guess is kind of silly to say about a video game, but even still, I find myself utterly lost in the magic of what's going on. Amazed at the amount of voice actors in this too. As soon as the baker started talking, I heard "I will not stand idly by while a dragon burns my hold and slaughters my people." Then you have Tom Kenny, who does voices for literally everything, Clint Howards doppelganger, and of course Christopher Lloyd. What a well polished game. I'd almost be tempted to play it myself, but I fear I would get very frustrated quickly as I do with most games of this type. Watching you play it is a good substitute.

That, and I'm broke and mauman's post above doesn't inspire confidence. I sure would hate to play a game most of the way through only to have the publisher go "oh the ending? naaaah". Can you imagine playing, say, a Final Fantasy, getting the to the last dungeon and having a big "Nope!" pop up just as you enter? Oi.

Anywho, two questions. One, can you leave dialogue choices up for more than a split second, especially if there's choices you won't select? I like seeing all the ridiculous choices these types of games give you. Secondly, I've seen iridescent, opalesque bottles lying about in various places. Are these anything? They're very pretty, and usually lit up as if to call attention to them.

Sincere thanks for this. When I heard about the release, I thought "meh" since I was never good the original games and didn't expect it to modernize well. Also, thanks for doing it as a subtitled LP, there's so much to take in that having someone talk over it would be way too detracting from the experience.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

K-ParAdoX posted:

Anywho, two questions. One, can you leave dialogue choices up for more than a split second, especially if there's choices you won't select? I like seeing all the ridiculous choices these types of games give you. Secondly, I've seen iridescent, opalesque bottles lying about in various places. Are these anything? They're very pretty, and usually lit up as if to call attention to them.

Next two episodes are recorded but after that I'll leave the dialogue choices open longer than "read the one I want to choose", sure.

Nope. There's been a couple of times in my practice runs where I try picking them up and nothing happens. They're just there to look pretty.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mauman posted:

Holy loving poo poo....

Huh. I was about to post the same based on the contents of the episode. No, not the story-content, but rather the "series of arbitrary Dragon-Lair minigames".

One more reason to see the game LP'd rather than buy it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That Achaka segment was such an obvious ploy for the heartstrings, I can't believe I didn't see it coming the first time around.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

mauman posted:

Holy loving poo poo....

Seems that the eventual epilogue episode is for the complete version only. You can't get it if you buy episodically, and you can't get it if you buy the season pass. And Activision has no plans to release it.

That's some seriously bullshit business practice right there :psyduck:
That has to be some kind of miscommunication or oversight, right?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

paradoxGentleman posted:

That Achaka segment was such an obvious ploy for the heartstrings, I can't believe I didn't see it coming the first time around.

The course is only obvious after you know where it ends. I find that a mark of good writing. Like in life, outcomes are always so clear as to be obvious, in hindsight, but in the moment, there seems to be many unknowable possibilities. The end result is never as meaningful as the events leading up to it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

An extra update because my other LP isn't able to update, enjoy us doing a bunch of stuff while at the same time not doing very much at all.

Episode 6: The Tale of the Starshroom Pie

EDIT: It's technically still rendering. Give it time and you'll eventually get to watch it at 1080.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 6, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So the opening scene is one of the ones where your choices can affect things. If for example KZ had taken the compassionate path to get his eye, then Gwendolyn would drop the umbrella and instead dance with Mr Springbottom, breaking the vase by not watching her step. Its hard to say if its the kind of thing that'll ultimately matter across the entirety of the game, but it does seem like they want to show how Graham moulds his granddaughter as a person.

Also, you can rescue Triumph before the Test of Might - its all a matter of deciding where a piece of paper gets placed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Can you shoot the wounded goblins?

Edit: I think the squirrels remembering that is a piss-take of Telltale games.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 6, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Samovar posted:

Can you shoot the wounded goblins?

You can, but I don't wanna be a jerk about it.

Also I have no clue what the "patience" route is because as far as I can tell you can't shoot the goblins' spears out of the air and letting them attack you is a death.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think the "patience" route is not finishing off the goblins, actually, since you have to wait for them to crawl to safety.
This is the first time I see a LP sparing them, so I never saw the one coming to help his wounded friend. How cute.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Are you sure what you did wasn't the patience route? You were patiently waiting for them to show up at least. It looked like there was something you could have done with the platform holding all those rocks, there was something lever-looking to the left of them.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

What is Acorn's dark secret?

Episode 7: The Tale of the Duel of Strength

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That duel sure was... a thing.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Samovar posted:

That duel sure was... a thing.

It actually took me a while to figure out because the game doesn't explain you need to press X when Acorn is tripping. I didn't put any subtitles in that part because I try not to during "action" sequences.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Today we take on the Duel of Speed and make a few new friends. Next week, we finish the chapter.

Episode 8: The Tale of the Duel of Speed

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will you be LPing chapter 2 when that comes out?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will you be LPing chapter 2 when that comes out?

Probably. Until then I'll see about getting back to Wind Waker or starting something else up.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
So what would you have needed to do differently if you had wanted to impress Muriel and Chester?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Tax Refund posted:

So what would you have needed to do differently if you had wanted to impress Muriel and Chester?

Basically make the Pumpkin Lantern for the eye quest and dipping it to turn it purple so it also looks like an eye from the beast Whisper got.

The kind path is making the Pie first and Olfie helps you with the eye.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man. The animation on Whisper's mount's run cycle was rough.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

And with this, Chapter 1 is done and the thread goes into a forced hiatus as there's literally no way for me to continue playing the game. I'll leave the thread open to discuss things, and if anyone wants to do their own run to show off other paths I didn't take, feel free.

Episode 9: The Tale of the Duel of Wits

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's... quite a non-ending. Wonder what Manny's dastardly plan really was. Gotta say I'm looking forward to the next one - very unlikely to buy it, though.
e: Love how one lady's job description in the credits is "Pun Brainstormer".

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 22, 2015

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So just to be clear, how much did the first choice of where to shoot in the cave at the beginning affect? Was it just how he townspeople reacted to you initially, and then whatever you spent your gold coin on helped you with the test of the eye? Or did it stop you from completing the eye puzzle in any way without violence?

Also, if it's not spoilers, I'm guessing Achaka dies regardless, but does Graham go looking for him, or does he simply disappear? I'm guessing it's the latter.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Wait, what the gently caress? That was the worst non-ending I've ever seen.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Torchlighter posted:

So just to be clear, how much did the first choice of where to shoot in the cave at the beginning affect? Was it just how he townspeople reacted to you initially, and then whatever you spent your gold coin on helped you with the test of the eye? Or did it stop you from completing the eye puzzle in any way without violence?

Also, if it's not spoilers, I'm guessing Achaka dies regardless, but does Graham go looking for him, or does he simply disappear? I'm guessing it's the latter.

According to the thread, it affects how the townspeople think of you, and how Gwendolyn acts throughout the first chapter. Until near the end I was choosing a lot of aggressive options. It didn't stop me from getting the eye the other nonviolent ways, but Achaka was so cool that I had to go that path to show him off.

Yes, Achaka does die no matter what, and eventually Graham is sent to look for him. He finds him dead in the caves.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That was a pretty drat lack-luster ending. Thanks for LPing it, tho.

Edit: Shame they didn't actually buck the expected reference when battling Manny, and instead had a reference to 'My Dinner with Andre'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
She made her first pun.

Grandpappy was so proud :3:

Then she went on to make another :kimchi:

• Locked thread