Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ooh, I've been keeping an eye on this game for quite some time. Good to hear it'll be coming around to the West soon unlike some other MMOs (Thanks Sega).

They even have the obligatory muscle-bound bara race excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I've had my eye on this for a while. Can I make a Pai Mei?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Ooh, I've been keeping an eye on this game for quite some time. Good to hear it'll be coming around to the West soon unlike some other MMOs (Thanks Sega).

They even have the obligatory muscle-bound bara race excellent.

It only took wildstar completely tanking for them to relook at the plans to bring this over. It was actually announced for a western release several years ago.

The development plans seem pretty solid so far as they have said that they don't want to just straight port patches and whatnot so they can tailor it to better fit the western audience. Stuff like the insane grind and pay to win styles endemic to Korean mmos are going to be changed for a more western approach.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Eonwe posted:

is the pvp fun
is there any griefing potential
whats the point of pvp, do you get anything out of it, or is it just ganking people trying to quest

quote:

The pvp is fun.

There is no griefing. Pvp is entirely consensual. Players can not fight each other in the open world unless they wear a faction's uniform, or agree to a duel.

There are faction merchants that sell you things for tokens you get for completing faction quests, in addition to the usual money rewards. Increasing your faction rank also let's you buy fancier clothes from your faction merchants. Since all faction quests happen in the same area and are you killing the other faction's NPCs, they're essentially pvp quests.

For example, in the first big hub town, there are two NPC factions active to act as a tutorial. If you put on one of their uniforms, you can kill NPC members of the opposing faction and you get tokens for each kill, that you then trade to a neutral NPC in town for clothes and other things.

this is town on the russian server right now:

they seem to give everyone the faction outfits very early and its free ganks on anyone wearing the opposing faction's colors. the guards are piss easy to kill and lowbies don't seem to realize that wearing one of the two outfits you get at the start results in being flagged for pvp

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

randombattle posted:

The development plans seem pretty solid so far as they have said that they don't want to just straight port patches and whatnot so they can tailor it to better fit the western audience. Stuff like the insane grind and pay to win styles endemic to Korean mmos are going to be changed for a more western approach.

This game actually has a very sane amount of grinding. Not just compared to other KMMOs, either. Outside of the MMO-standard "Best Endgame Gear" hunting and upgrading.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
God I hope they don't do the Chinese model of premium/f2p payment system. Starting out can really be a challenge at times since the mobs don't drop money unless you're a premium member, and the quests gives you peanuts. There seems to be a glitch when you play as warlock though, as you get ridiculous amounts of money from the class ability tutorial quests (in comparison to the other classes). In fact, I have over 12 silvers at level 20 and having just arrived at the first hub town. This is an amazing amount when you consider that all my other classes at this stage has only around 30 coppers, which is barely enough to upgrade to the level 20 stage weapon. Don't even think about crafting at this point, as it requires you to spend money to gather the mats, then spend more money to craft the actual thing.

jwang fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 26, 2015

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Here's a decent post of class pros and cons if you want to start thinking about what class you want to play.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Kung Fu Master named Carradine = coolest character on server.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm most interested in Force Master I think, the theme of juggling fire and ice seems really awesome. I don't typically care about pet classes but Summoner also seems nifty if you don't need to micro-manage the pet. Leaning more towards Force Master though if only because Gon race. Also some side thoughts about Destroyer for the same reason.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm most interested in Force Master I think, the theme of juggling fire and ice seems really awesome. I don't typically care about pet classes but Summoner also seems nifty if you don't need to micro-manage the pet. Leaning more towards Force Master though if only because Gon race. Also some side thoughts about Destroyer for the same reason.

Destroyer suplexes people, and while lots of classes do that, I believe theirs is just to walk up to something and suplex it right off the bat, not as part of a combo. Like, pick up the mob, punch them in the face a few times, and swing them around into the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41n4qLD6yxs

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They have a bunch of moves that are just "Grab a dude, hit them a million times, throw them into other people".

e: Sadly Warlock won't be in at launch, they were always the class that seemed most interesting to me.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah apparently during one of the streams they actually confirmed that Warlock would get put in a couple months after release.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Destroyer suplexes people, and while lots of classes do that, I believe theirs is just to walk up to something and suplex it right off the bat, not as part of a combo. Like, pick up the mob, punch them in the face a few times, and swing them around into the ground.

Well you just made my decision a hell of a lot harder to make. Hot drat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The thing with destroyers is that they are the most support oriented class in the game. Everyone wants a muscle axe wizard to buff them up and cc mobs in their parties.

SMLJ
Sep 7, 2010
Destroyers are great, there's a reason why you see gold farmers running full parties of 6 destroyer bots just roaming around the map and constantly wrecking bosses and dungeons.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

I was pretty impressed with that first kill alone.

Then he picked up the small yeti, gave it the "gimme yo lunch money nerd" headlock, then threw it at the bigger yeti.

Looks like im gonna play destroyer.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I think it's been a long enough time for this game coming to the west that it probably wasn't the reason for CoH dying.

That being said, please don't give NCSoft any of your money

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Nah, I think I will give them my money because Blade and Soul is a good game.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Jerry the King Lawler and Jim Ross over the top of that video please.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this based on the anime? I really liked that one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I only saw the first episode from it and I dont remember much other than it not being based on the game. It did have some of the npcs and the local but it wasnt the actual game story.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

imgay posted:

Is this based on the anime? I really liked that one.

I think it is the other way around. The anime is loosely based on the game.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a gunner class? Like everyone in the anime uses guns

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

imgay posted:

Is there a gunner class? Like everyone in the anime uses guns

Hahaha let me tell you about how they teased a gunner class years before the game came out and how its still not inside the game.

Summoner was also supposed to grim dark portals with hellbeasts and instead it got turned into a cutesy floral + cat pet class.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

you can be a little Mr. Miyagi dogman kung fu master

Assassin was rad, the only problem with it is it's very latency intensive. When I played CN B&S, it could either be very rad, or if the proxy was poo poo (and a lot of them were poo poo), it was the worst time ever.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
drat kung fu master has street fighter moves.

I watched the video but i didnt see a fist of the north star punch. does any class get the 100 crack fist?

v dang.

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 27, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Not as far as I remember. most attacks dont hit that many times, im guessing its a server performance issue.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I think we'd all be okay with it if it was just an animation of 100 crack fist and then one big number popped out

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I think we'd all be okay with it if it was just an animation of 100 crack fist and then one big number popped out

There's a lot of physicality to the moves. Like a large section of the Destroyer moveset is stunning people, picking them up to beat the poo poo out of them, and using them to beat the poo poo out of their friends with. There's something deeply emotionally satisfying about headbutting a 12 foot long spider.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Kung fu masters can break the arms of everything, or snap the necks of everything. No matter the size or the whole actually having arms or a neck thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

If it bleeds, we can break its arm.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
I want to play this game, but I'm wary of giving money to NCSoft after CoH or whatever the hell happened with Tabula Rasa.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, you only have to give NCSoft money if you are impatient and dumb like me. It will be free to play anyways.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Beta schedule announced!

B&S posted:

Closed Beta 2015 Weekend Schedule

Weekend 1: Oct 30–Nov 2 [English only]
Weekend 2: Nov 13–16 [English only]
Weekend 3: Nov 24–30 [English, French, German]
Weekend 4: Dec 11–14 [English, French, German]
Weekend 5: Dec 18–21 [English, French, German]

We seem to be getting an extended test over Thanksgiving weekend, which owns since I have that whole week off.

cathead fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 9, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holy crap thats farther away than I thought it would be. I guess its more like they want to just have an x amount of betas and spacing them away two weeks after each other till the release early next year.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Haha oh god, the latest article about combos:

B&S posted:

An example of a conditional combo is an ability of the Summoner’s Familiar called “Anklebiter”. When used it applies a Knock Down condition, and as soon as that happens the ability called “If It Fits, I Sits” becomes available, which applies a Grapple condition on the opponent, and allows the ability “Headbutt” to be used. If you’re swift, chaining these abilities together will make for an effective combo. Practice will make perfect!

Blade and Soul: We Got Cat Memes :thumbsup:

Also for anyone who isn't already familiar w/ the game they've been doing some blurbs on gameplay systems if you want to check them out.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled waiting for beta.

cathead fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 16, 2015

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
I discovered this game was coming to NA last week and tried the Russian servers over the weekend (wasn't going to spend any money on Founders packs, not after Archeage, oh no). Game is pretty badass and the skills have a satisfying amount of impact and crunch to them.

I'm in Singapore so the ping to wherever RU servers are isn't too bad, but it still makes timing your counters and dodges a bit tricky. NA servers aren't going to make much of a difference really but at least there I'll be able to use WTFast to improve ping. Actually I should find out if WTFast supports RU BnS.

I suggest anyone who is on the fence to go download and try out the RU version, instead of paying NCSoft money and waiting for the beta. The game doesn't seem crazy grindy (so far, I'm only level 16, though), and the endgame looks to be typical 'kill boss to get loot to kill boss to get loot', which to me is better than 'mine 10 million ore and fail to make a weapon'.

Dungeon loot uses an auction system, which is honestly pretty cool. Basically you bid whatever amount of gold for a drop and if you win, that money is distributed to the rest of the party, so now they have more gold to bid on the next item.

There's also a system where you can upgrade items to improve the stats by sacrificing other items, which is all explained in the tutorial and there's a more in-depth guide on some forum somewhere and it's pretty understandable despite the bad Engrish.

Someone already mentioned open-world PvP earlier, but other than that there's a duel arena, a 3v3 arena and Korean version just introduced a 6v6 domination map, for those of you who are more into instanced PvP. Oh and also apparently your gear is normalized in arena, like in GW2, so that's nice.

Watching some duels online is like watching Street Fighter, its pretty cool.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

quote:

It has complex and skill based action combat. People describe it as a mix of Tera and Street Fighter.

What game are these people playing? You mouse over the enemy, it locks on, then you mash keys. It doesn't have much aiming like Tera does, and it doesn't have complex keystroke combinations like SF. A "combo system" where you press single keybinds in order, causing a sequence of individual actions, is not new to MMORPG's and is nothing like a fighting game.

Hyperbolic fanboy descriptions Really Grind MY Gears if you didn't notice.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

THE PWNER posted:

What game are these people playing? You mouse over the enemy, it locks on, then you mash keys. It doesn't have much aiming like Tera does, and it doesn't have complex keystroke combinations like SF. A "combo system" where you press single keybinds in order, causing a sequence of individual actions, is not new to MMORPG's and is nothing like a fighting game.

Hyperbolic fanboy descriptions Really Grind MY Gears if you didn't notice.

While I get your point, I also think your description is being a bit needlessly reductive. There's definitely echos of Tera's combat design, especially with the larger bosses, where you're relying heavily on actively dodging or blocking to mitigate damage as they do their attack patterns. Many of the classes attacks (both ranged and melee) target areas rather than a specific target as well.

I don't think the Street Fighter comparisons that people make are trying to refer to keystroke combinations, but rather that many of the classes have "juggles" and combo chains that FEEL like they're from a fighting game. BnS pulls off this feel better than some other MMOs precisely BECAUSE of the contextual button switching, branching combos, and abilities that do different things based on the target's state. I would also say the idea of actively dodging/blocking has some inspiration from fighting games as well.

MMOs have certainly tried stuff like this before but BnS manages to make it feel more fluid than a lot of the others. One should certainly temper their expectations in regard to how close the comparisons lie, but I also don't think it's wrong to make them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Blade & Soul : The Rising Thunder of MMOs

• Locked thread