Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Yep it's compulsory. The beta ends in 3 hours (noon cst) and the game begins.

Wait, isn't the telling starting noon on 9/11? That's tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Elswyyr posted:

Wait, isn't the telling starting noon on 9/11? That's tomorrow.

Pre orders get a head start. The first people get in at noon cst today.

quote:

Q: When does T7 start?
A: T7 will officially start on September 11, 2015 at 12 noon (Central Daylight Time, GMT-05:00).
Early Access is available for:
Full Tale Subscription on September 10, 2015 at 12 noon (Central Daylight Time, GMT-05:00)
One Year Subscription on September 10, 2015 at 3:00 PM (Central Daylight Time, GMT-05:00)
Six Month Subscription on September 10, 2015 at 6:00 PM (Central Daylight Time, GMT-05:00)
Three Month Subscription on September 10, 2015 at 9:00 PM (Central Daylight Time, GMT-05:00)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Something I'd like to mention: Pluribus (the new developer) has indicated that if monthly payments are generous enough to hire new staff, he'll consider switching to a free to play model mid-tale.

ModeSix posted:

People wrecking your stuff if you don't login for a month isn't a thing. It could be a thing if a law gets passed, but at the start it's not.

I almost forgot about the law system. If by some miracle we had some 400+ goons playing, we could troll the ever loving poo poo out of the establishment.

While the law system lets you slap together anything you can imagine, the developer has final approval, but will almost never nix it if it doesn't involve creating new assets. To this end, laws that regulate people or their properties are usually a sure thing, since it's comparatively short work to code. For example, we could vote on a law to add a flax tax to university learning, requiring like 500 flax per individual per unlocked tech, but with an exemption for the goon guild. The anal devastation would be unprecedented.

Elswyyr posted:

I kinda like being a hermit and being self-sustaining, but from previous trial runs of this I assume I can't do it. But if I wanted to live alone and only trade with people once in a while, what could I do on my own? I just dont wanna feel like I'm missing out on progression (universities, public works projects, etc) due to not playing 24/7.

You're correct in that being a hermit is impossible. For one, you need others to level up beyond the principle tests. The other problem tends to be the medium stone and cuttable stone barrier, which is exclusively a 20+ team activity for half the tale and you need them after about a week of play.

For the first couple months, base materials like grass and slate will stay in demand, so you can just farm that stuff and trade it for what you need. Hardcore guilds need slate to keep their wood planes operating and dried grass to feed their ridiculously hungry camels.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

The other problem tends to be the medium stone and cuttable stone barrier, which is exclusively a 20+ team activity for half the tale and you need them after about a week of play.
Wait, does this mean that I pretty much HAVE to live in a large settlement? Because I was planning on settling in Cradle, which seems like it's out of the way.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

Wait, does this mean that I pretty much HAVE to live in a large settlement? Because I was planning on settling in Cradle, which seems like it's out of the way.

No you can just attend digs. Lots of people run public dig events at the beginning, even going as far as handing out shovels.

You will just have to travel to find the digs likely.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm at the location mode6 suggested. Around 800,6300. It's very nice. There isn't a forest of trees or anything, but a nice smattering of 5-wood trees, maybe 6 per cluster and a few good clusters within a short walk. There's a few compounds here so we'll have to :goonrush: to camp it. What do we do to stake our claim, or at least scare off other dudes?

I'm surveying for other materials in the area for the next hour before I'm booted.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm at the location mode6 suggested. Around 800,6300. It's very nice. There isn't a forest of trees or anything, but a nice smattering of 5-wood trees, maybe 6 per cluster and a few good clusters within a short walk. There's a few compounds here so we'll have to :goonrush: to camp it. What do we do to stake our claim, or at least scare off other dudes?

I'm surveying for other materials in the area for the next hour before I'm booted.

You'll rarely find big "forests" of trees, if there is even anything like that in all of the game. It's the desert man.

Basically we go there and set up and don't let anyone push us out of the area, or we make a deal with them to work together. Working with outside groups is ok in this game and even a good thing, we can't be assholes to our neighbors.

My suggestion is to have as many people build their starter compounds there as possible. Spreading them out over the area we want to claim, not too far, but definitely not right beside each other.

Also, don't forget to register on the forum. http://forums.atitd-goons.info/ and the wiki http://atitd-goons.info/index.php?title=Main_Page

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 10, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'm camped out in the server room at work so I can get around Dell's firewall blocking the game. I'll see if I can rush past the starter island and get to work on my compound at noon. The wiki says that the compound needs 100 board and 200 bricks, and the compound construction needs the same. Is that a miscommunication or do I need 200/400 to actually build?

When is everyone else coming in? If we can start making land grabs tonight we could rival the grognards settling nearby.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I think building up some bricks and wood on the newbie island could be easier than doing it in game. Here's the list of takeaways I found.

You can take the following from the newbie island:

quote:

Tow
Twine (50)
Lint
Straw
Boards
Wood
Flax
Thorns
Bricks

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm camped out in the server room at work so I can get around Dell's firewall blocking the game. I'll see if I can rush past the starter island and get to work on my compound at noon. The wiki says that the compound needs 100 board and 200 bricks, and the compound construction needs the same. Is that a miscommunication or do I need 200/400 to actually build?

When is everyone else coming in? If we can start making land grabs tonight we could rival the grognards settling nearby.

Yes that's right, you end up needing double.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ModeSix posted:

Yes that's right, you end up needing double.

And so the grind begins. Right as some dick schedules a meeting at noon. Guess I'll be on at 1.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

And so the grind begins. Right as some dick schedules a meeting at noon. Guess I'll be on at 1.

Well it's noon PST that the server opens, which I believe is 2 1/2 hours from now.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ModeSix posted:

Well it's noon PST that the server opens, which I believe is 2 1/2 hours from now.

Noon cdt according to the wiki. 38 minutes.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Noon cdt according to the wiki. 38 minutes.

Neat the server is running on CST then. Same as me.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ModeSix posted:

Neat the server is running on CST then. Same as me.

Central time superiority. Woo.

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I'll take a half day tomorrow and be on around 1-2 PST.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Newbie island is packed right now. At least for a game so small. I count maybe 50 people on the island with me.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Newbie island is packed right now. At least for a game so small. I count maybe 50 people on the island with me.

You don't want to know what it will be like tomorrow.

The tellings usually start with more than a thousand players.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

gently caress I see why we need to pounce on that spot if we don't want it nabbed. Hopefully in a few hours I'll be there and working on a compound...not sure how to scare off the pubbies if they settle nearby.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

Richard M Nixon posted:

gently caress I see why we need to pounce on that spot if we don't want it nabbed. Hopefully in a few hours I'll be there and working on a compound...not sure how to scare off the pubbies if they settle nearby.

Say I AM GOON, you know what GOONS do to Pubbies.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I'll erect a giant dick to warn off predators. Heh, erect...

laceratedsky
Aug 29, 2007

I am totally in on this, but I missed the pre-order window. Anyone know if there's a way to still pre-order so I can log in tonight?

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

I don't think so. See you tomorrow in the big rush :frogc00l:

Good luck getting the spot bananas. Usually the prime spots in the north can become really packed really fast. Tale 7 has been overdue for a couple years.. it might be a bigger player rush than the previous tellings were.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I am about to leave the island and then drive home. I'll try and set up a compound after I get home. Hopefully that will be enough to ward off some people. If it's looking too crowded I'll move down a bit.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I am about to leave the island and then drive home. I'll try and set up a compound after I get home. Hopefully that will be enough to ward off some people. If it's looking too crowded I'll move down a bit.

Well just be aware that anyplace you set up could potentially be temporary if we need to relocate for one reason or another.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

I think I will download this and at least do the 24 hour trial to see how bad it hurts my hand.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Uziduke posted:

I think I will download this and at least do the 24 hour trial to see how bad it hurts my hand.

For anyone curious about the 24 hour trial, it means 24 hours played, not one day in real time.

In theory you could log in sporadically throughout the whole telling with a trial account.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

What would require relocating? Does that mean all the materials put into a compound and its contents are lost?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

What would require relocating? Does that mean all the materials put into a compound and its contents are lost?

Yes, so don't get too invested in the spot if other people are claiming it and we may have to move.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Uziduke posted:

Keep in mind that scripting seems to be a big thing and you can set third party software to emulate mouse clicks with your keyboard to help your carpal tunnel.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

ModeSix posted:

Yes, so don't get too invested in the spot if other people are claiming it and we may have to move.

If I see other people I'll move down steam a bit. Will you be on tonight? We can scout around the area you found. If it's clear, I'll try and nab it.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

If I see other people I'll move down steam a bit. Will you be on tonight? We can scout around the area you found. If it's clear, I'll try and nab it.

I didn't preorder, I get paid once a month(viva Mexico) and that isn't until the 15th, so I'll even be a few days as a Trial account after tomorrow.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

Keep in mind that scripting seems to be a big thing and you can set third party software to emulate mouse clicks with your keyboard to help your carpal tunnel.

This is extremely true.

Not to say there isn't a lot of manual clicking, but for repetitive simple tasks, like collecting grass/slate, most people use macros.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Elswyyr posted:

I think you may find a large numbers of the players are hermit and commute to either community / open to the public areas for major crafting, or travel a whole lot on foot. Initially it's harder to be a hermit but by the time chariots are up and big crafting centers are open to everyone it will be easy. Play how you like and make a little camp all your own. Eventually everything will be connected by chariots and chat channels. Joining a big community guild wherever one forms for this telling for chat + organization is probably something that will be a benefit. Or you can just put in loads of time and do a lot of things yourself. I was a soloer in the first tale and most of the second :)

I think I'm somewhere north of you guys (will log in in ~5hrs but someone carp benched the area to grab it - yeah land grab is totally a thing). Can I wander by and say hi too? :D First I probably need to get my name changed to my old one... which I forgot the password for in T6. Sigh. I have a few people joining me but they may or may not be inconsistent players and most are unsure how long they're playing. I think tomorrow may be busier than previous tellings too.

Re: carpal tunnel, definitely check out Veggietales' scripts/macros (linked from the atitd wiki), or write your own with Autohotkey. It's significantly easier to use these and no need to click much at all - and definitely no need to click on something that has a timer. You can click as slowly as you want, and over time quite a few tech upgrades eliminates some of the early click heavy activities (grass).

Noricae fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 10, 2015

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

Speaking of, has anyone found the old AHK scripts? Picking grass and slate and growing flax are really best done automated.

Also, just an aside, but if you find sheep, just carry it around until we have a pen. It's a giant pain in the rear end to find your first breeding pair.

Also macro some grass any time you step away, we will need thousands of straw to get camels. It will be really competitive to get them early on with where we will be.

The way it works is, in a given region, every game day, the camel pen with the highest straw count gets a camel at the cost of all the straw being eaten. I remember at the start of T4, it went up to ten thousand and some change to get one camel. And you had to do it until you had a breeding pair. Just the first of many grinds!

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

So is there no rules about using scrips in this game?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Uziduke posted:

It's fine as long as you are at the keyboard, able to respond if someone or a GM talks to you.

Do you guys want a Mumble or TS server to use? I can set one up if you guys want to use voice comms, or Jabber?

I'd personally prefer Mumble/Jabber.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
They changed a lot of the icons for popups so all my older scripts don't work, so I've been wondering this too. I heard Automato works (worked in beta), and I'm sure working scripts will be up in the next week but i haven't found anyone with current AhK scripts. Unfortunately the couple of guys I know who have tons of scripts all ready to go use linux for playing and for their scripts, and everyone else seems to use Automato. Ugh, I really prefer Autohotkey.

Re: scripts. There used to be a big stigma in the first couple of tales about this but they've loosened up (both the playerbase and GMs). Not a lot of things require scripting, and it's mostly things that are super boring - grass, slate, flax. A lot of things get upgrade later on that cuts down on scripting (vegetable breeding, greenhouses, better charcoal ovens). But yeah the initial camel race (based on grass #) can be a pain.

edit: Vvv That.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 10, 2015

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Uziduke posted:

The explanation I received is that scripts can't exploit or give an unfair advantage, and you have to be at your computer to respond if a gm whispers you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

ModeSix posted:

It's fine as long as you are at the keyboard, able to respond if someone or a GM talks to you.

Do you guys want a Mumble or TS server to use? I can set one up if you guys want to use voice comms, or Jabber?

Isn't there a general SA gaming mumble, I use it when I play HoTS.

• Locked thread