Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Ey girl, you ever been with a haunted tent?

Hot: -1 | Cold: 2 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: 1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Conditions: Overbearing, Cruel

The Study Group? Oh, right. Them. I glance over to where he gestures, spotting Alexandra, Mark, and Lizzie. I've heard of them in passing. To be honest they seem like nice enough kids -- although there's just something a bit weird about the way they're structured. Alexandra almost seems like the leader? If that makes sense. "Ah. I would love to but I already have a previous engagement to take care of. Rain check?" I can't just ditch Alexander. We have much to discuss.

Speaking of, it doesn't seem like he's here quite yet. I try not to frown however when I notice Cutler speaking with Ash. Ugh. What is that about? Now I'm really worried for him. Ash is... trouble. Plain and simple. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but in his case I just cannot. Should I intervene? How obvious would my meddling be?

Well, I hold back for now, reminding myself that I want to discuss things with Alex. In the meantime another person of interest pop up onto my radar -- Geoff. I notice the way he looks away from me when I look his way. Ah. Probably on account of what happened this morning. As I finally shuffle through the rest of the line and grab some food, I direct myself over to him with a smile, taking a seat despite any protests he might throw up.

"Hey there Geoff... Feeling better?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Tim and Emma: Yeah, you can't expect to share a kiss in the middle of the dining room without attracting some attention. A few scattered whoops and jeers from the people near you turn into a ripple of whispers and turned heads as everyone else tries to work out what they've missed. You see the young teacher on duty, Dr Metcalfe, sigh and start heading your way. She's not in any particular hurry to enforce the school's policy on public displays of affection, so she's walking deliberately slowly. What do you do?

If you Run Away successfully, the staff won't bother chasing you. If you stay, you'll almost certainly get in trouble, though you can try to talk yourself out of it.

Everyone else: there's a commotion by the side of the room that subsides disappointingly quickly, with a rather exposed-looking Tim and Emma in the middle. What do you think about that?

Ash: "What no I don't want more I just - what do I - gently caress." Cutler storms off, drawing a few glances, though not that many - seems his new-found reputation for aggression is pretty well established now. So Fiona's a big eater, huh? You used to that? Do you tell her about the party tomorrow night?

Fiona: So what's the plan, if Ash is indeed up for getting a little loose this lunchtime? Where do you usually go? Is that what you had in mind this time?

Lise: Your phone buzzes as you reach the dining hall; it's from your sister.

quote:

service has resumed rv after school? pls run interf on study group creeps if poss already had 1 try to interrogate me
Does it sound like she's back to her normal self? Do you plan to help her? Anyway, you've still got this date to sort out with Alex - what do you do?

Alex: You continue talking to Lise as you reach the lunch hall. You give the room a quick scan for your Peers, a process that's nearly automatic for you now. You see Brittany in the middle of several tables pushed together, gossiping loudly. Geoff is talking to Sorne at an otherwise empty table. Teresa is clearing away her food - you've barely looked at her for half a second before she turns around and meets your gaze, smiling, before heading toward the exit. Richard is nowhere to be seen - odd, wasn't he on the way over from Music with you? Anyway, you've managed to get more than five words in a row out of Lise - progress, right? What do you do?

Sorne: Cedric gives you a friendly smile then heads over to his colleagues. Geoff looks surprised to see you, but his face settles into his typical expression of mild amusement. "Oh, hello Miss Jasso. You've set my heart all a-flutter." He checks his pulse with (mock?) alarm. "Your concern is definitely welcome, but I'm feeling much improved. Honestly, I think that short, sharp shock this morning was just what I needed. Will you let me make it up to you? I've been invited to Khalid's little do tomorrow - had you heard about that? I think I'd be better off saving myself for the Ball, but I'd be happy to give you the details if you'd like. Once everyone's had a drink they won't be half as picky about who was actually invited and all that."

He picks at his food, a plate of featureless pasta bake and limp salad. "Hmm, this is rather sharp, isn't it? Could you humour me and try some? It tastes different from the usual slop..." Your snakes are hissing - something's not right. You can see Alex and Lise approaching the end of the queue behind you. What do you do?

Alexandra: You catch Tim and Emma's kiss as you leave the hall with Cedric; Mark gives you a sheepish shrug. He's going to have his work cut out for him, isn't he? He and Lizzie settle back into conversation - you think you see her give you a furtive glance as you head out the door. It's probably nothing, right? Cedric picks up the conversation as you walk toward the infirmary. "Not the right one? Did you want her? That's your prerogative, of course." He pauses, puzzled. "I just wanted to get to know her better, that's all. No gifts on the first date. You say she's an ideal candidate, I do believe you, but what's the harm in finding out for myself? Is that alright? Is something on your mind?"

He'll tell you that much because you're his friend and boss. If you want more information on his preferences or anything like that you'll have to put yourself out there and explain why it matters to you.

As you approach the infirmary, you see Constance Langley's unmistakeable short blond hair and elfin profile heading down the stairs into the grounds. She doesn't so much as glance your way, but as soon as her feet touch the grass, she takes off at a jog and disappears round a corner.

Roll Volatile if you want to chase Constance. On a 10+ you'll catch her. On a 7-9 she'll get away but you'll learn something important. Cedric will finish talking to you afterwards regardless.

Gato fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 22, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1
Harm 1/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Inbred, Predator

Aww, how adorable, Emma and Timmy, having a little whatever in the middle of things. Cutler can take care of his own poo poo, and I'll talk to someone who isn't full of whatever poo poo I've been giving him. I tilt my head when Fiona mentions the sister. "Sister? Oh, yeah, what's her face, that's awful. Yeah, I'm on board with the whole no violence thing. Speaking of, Emma seem a little more irritable to you lately?" I nod my head back towards the trouble that Emma and Tim are causing, then quickly not paying attention. "Still, hey, more important than all that, there's a party tomorrow night, dunno how big, but Khalid's trying to get a bunch of people together."

Look, FIona's not the queen of the school or nothing, plus with how much she does, she's gonna need food. I'm not judging and it definitely doesn't show day to day, so who am I to judge one girl on her looks? I'll just enjoy the party, see if she will too. I smile, not having put much effort into my appearance but with that bad boy look I naturally have. "Come with me? Don't want to head there alone."

[01:26.24] <thelazyblank> Turn on Fiona
[01:26.28] <thelazyblank> !r 2d6+2
[01:26.29] <Krysmbot> thelazyblank, 11+2 = 13
String get, XP get.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Hot -1 Cold 0 Vol 1 Dark 1
XP: 2+1/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

Well, I always knew Langley had her... eccentricities, and her night must have been even rougher with whatever Teresa did to her; whatever she made her do after that kiss, or whatever. "Topic is me helping you, and our... meeting tomorrow." I might sound a little distracted as I go through my usual process of checking for the other Peers, noting in particular which ones aren't there... Ah, and Sorne's here too, good. Will have to find a way to discreetly meet up with her once this is done. As Lise and I head to the lunch counter, I continue speaking - in a place as packed and loud as this, I'm confident I can speak outside of code without being overheard - especially since all my Peers currently in the cafeteria are very clearly occupied.

"So, let's keep this short, then. I know what happened last night - well, most of it, and it wasn't your fault. I'm still getting to the bottom of the rest, but for the time being it's best to stay away from Teresa. Be as distant as you can. I promise there won't be a repeat of last night again. As for tomorrow night, are you okay with me taking the lead in planning for that? Any suggestions you want me to take on board?" I give her a roguish smile, I'm quite good at that, I think. A smile and some charm should do the trick.

[2:50pm] Nown: Turn On Lise
[2:50pm] Nown: !r 2d6-1
[2:50pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 2-1 = 1

:ohdear: Marking XP from highlighted stat anyway

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 0
XP: 2/5 Harm: 0/5 Conditions: Busybody,
Locations:Hallway near infirmary

I give Mark a shrug back. Yeah, Tim might be an issue when it's time to bring Emma in. But for now, she can have it. Once she's with us, it's something she's gonna have to do without. Worth it, mind you, worth it. But as long as she's not in, might as well let her enjoy it while she can.

As I walk with Cedric he asks... a very fair question. Why do I care? The answer is staring me mockingly in the face. Because he never showed any interest in me.

You're intolerable, unlovable and unfuckable.

Come on Alexandra. you're better than that. I crave respect, trust, influence and power. I'm better than the long list of insecure little girls that decide their value on the amount of erections they cause. This feeling is beneath you. Do not acknowledge it.

"Hm, oh, don't worry about it. Just trying to plan for things. But no, you're doing fine. By all means, get to know her. Second opinions are valuable. And she and I aren't that close ,so there might be things that I missed. It's a good initiative. After all, it's not too long before you'll be doing this for yourself. Do you have any people in mind for yourself? Or do you plan to wait for University?"

Alexandra is not willing to expose herself on that, so she's just changing the subject.

As we approach the infirmary, we notice Constance, who starts running. I'm not sure she's seen us, but this is worrying. "Wait, hold on!" I call out, and break into a run after her.

Volatile Pursuit of Constance: 2d6-1 3

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Hot -1 | Cold. +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Selfish, Outsider

I look backwards for a moment as he mentions Tim and Emma, curious to see whether they'll scurry away or stand their ground.

"Her? I suppose. I like it. Very head-on in dealing with her problems now. So, Khalid's having another get-together, then? I don't mind free drinks. Sealed ones, anyway..."

There's that smile again. Can't really decide if it's salt on this morning's wound or a welcome reprieve from it. Honestly, there are worse ways I could be spending my time...

"Of course I will. Not my fault if they start to talk, though. Ugh, this is particularly bad today. I'm ready to head out."

If he's game for it, there's this loading dock near around the back. This building is ancient, not meant to deal with the realities of trucks and multi-ton orders, so it's a ways away from the kitchen itself. Far enough that any smoke he might create won't immediately waft into the kitchen, and since it's mid-day, there won't be any orders coming in to have the kitchen staff there to unload it. Occasionally one of them will wander out, but since the only reason they'd be there is because they're out grabbing an illicit nip or puff of their own, we'll be fine.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 2, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I try not to make too much of a face when Fiona mentions that she likes it. Then again, if it didn't make a fiststop right in my bits, I'd probably think it's pretty neat. Letting out all that inside stuff, just being feral or whatever. But appearances are important, so here I am, not clubbing people in places they don't want to be clubbed. Also, I'm poo poo in a fight when I don't have some sort of advantage. Not very important. "She comes off a little aggressive, though. I mean, maybe Timmy likes it rough and all, but I don't think she's all right in the head. Traumatic experience or whatever. Still, guess it's better than being as clenched as some of the girls are. Alexandra for one. She could make diamonds out of coal."

I narrow my eyes for a moment while she mentions heading out, which probably means drinking or something. Not that I'm against, but it's mid-day and I just gotta take it easy. "You sure you wanna be doing this now? Something going on? I'm in, just seems a bit early."

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 24, 2015

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Hot 3 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 1 0/5 | Conditions: Clenched

I sigh when I notice the teacher walking this way. I turn to Emma and say, "Looks like the fun police is here." I smile at her. I forgot how prudish everyone is across the pond. I say dramatically, "If we both get out of this alive, meet me outside the drama room." I stand up and jog toward an exit. I can tell the teacher doesn't want to get us in trouble but she will. I don't know quite where I'm going but I think there's an exit in this corner of the hall.

-
[01:16] Bclip Please let me look cool Krysmbot
Run Away
[01:16] Bclip !r 2d6-1+1 (+1 from True Love)
[01:16] Krysmbot Bclip, 6 = 6
[01:16] Bclip gently caress you

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot: 2xCold: -1 Volatile 1 Dark: -1
XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Fickle

Mmm now that's more like it. Unfortunately I got so lost in the moment that I forgot we had an audience. One of whom is coming this way. Time to run for it I guess. "If we don't make it out of here alive tell my boyfriend that I love him." I said teasingly. Two can play at that game.

Before I pushed back out of the chair and began running for the nearest exit.

[11:13] Ferrosol run away!
[11:13] Ferrosol !r 2d6+1
[11:13] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 8+1 = 9
you run into something worse

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Selfish, Outsider

"Maybe it's because of what happened to her, sure. And you said it - better the way she is then us having another Alexandra hanging around. That's what she was like before. Well, almost."

Ash, turning down a chance at getting out of his mind on drugs? Well, I'd have lost that bet.

"Just not having the best day, is all. It's fine, you don't have to."

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 1/5 | Conditions: Overbearing, Cruel

Geoff's little display earns a chuckle and an eye roll from me. "Settle down there Romeo." I tease, happy to see him in much better shape than this morning. "Oh? Khalid?" I echo with raised brows. Parties like that usually aren't my cup of tea but... "Sure. Tell me all about it." I decide to entertain him, at least. Even if I don't go it never hurts to feign just a smidgen of interest in such affairs. Worse comes to worse I can just blame my absence on suddenly falling ill.

What he asks of me next, however, causes the snakes to hiss and go into a bit of a frenzy. What on earth?! I look at the food, getting a certain feeling. "Oh, no thanks. I'm not a fan of that to be honest." What is he up to? I notice Lise and Alex at that moment and give them a wave. Well, it's mostly meant for Alex, but I can't very well just ignore Lise now can I? I then turn my attention back to Geoff, as the hisses grow louder within my ears. What's going on? Tell me now you damned serpents! Geoff should be like an open book now that he's quite cognizant...

Zomg: Gaze Into The Abyss About Geoff's Intentions
Zomg: !r 2d6+1
Krysmboy: Zomg, 5+1 = 6

Taking advantage of the Sobered condition on Geoff to add a +1 to that result, bumping it up to a 7. Also going to choose: the visions are lucid and detailed but they leave you with the Condition drained.

Zomg fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 23, 2015

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Tim and Emma: You make a hasty, undignified dash for the double doors leading back to the grounds. Tim: You get there first - unfortunately, you find yourself trying to push a door that opens inwards. In the glass, you see Dr Metcalfe's reflection trying not to laugh. After a few mortifying seconds, Emma pulls it open and you make your escape.
The school faculty takes a string on you.

As the two of you walk through the grounds, side by side, what do you talk about? Do either of you bring up the events of this morning, or do you stay quiet? Emma, what do you think about Tim's friendship with Ash? Tim, what does Emma say that takes you by surprise?

You approach the drama building via a winding path with rather unimaginatively named 'The Grove.' There are a few benches by the path - it'd be a perfect place to sit down for a while, but there's already a couple there. A dark-haired girl is lying with her head in the lap of a boy with similarly dark hair. She calls out to you as you pass. "Hey. Kidnap girl. You're in Ramillies, right? Would you kindly give this to Alex?" She waves an envelope in her hand. The boy remains silent, a cigarette in his mouth. Emma, what do you notice about her that puts your guard up? Tim, how do you feel about being ignored? What do you (both) do?

Alexandra: You chase after Constance, smart shoes and untrained thighs protesting. If there was any doubt as to whether she was deliberately avoiding you, it disappears when you chase her into the science building, only to see her vault straight through an open first-floor window, landing neatly on the grass below without a backward glance. Yeah, you're not going to catch her.

You're standing, barely, in one of the Chemistry labs. Cedric is doubled over next to you, panting. "Whew... that was embarrassing. Good thing I've got the whole year before it's cricket season." He laughs. "And since you asked, I've had got one or two people in mind, but I'm not in any hurry. Maybe next year, maybe at uni."

As you look around the lab, something catches your eye. Bottles of salts and salt solutions are lined up neatly on the counter, ordered according to labels on the work surface - the lab technicians have a lot of time on their hands. But there's a conspicuous gap in the line, under the label 'KCl 0.1M'. What do you do?

Sorne: You shudder inwardly as one of the snakes whispers in your ear. Not words - they don't have words of their own - but a rush of sensations beyond the capacity of the human mind. And you see Geoff through their eyes. The tension in his muscles, the way his eyes dart back and forth, as if looking for threats. You hear his heart racing, skipping beats, his shallow breathing, not as sound but as vibrations on your skin. And you taste - or is it smell? - the sweat pouring beneath his shirt, the tang of salt on his breath, and in his food - ! - the snakes recoil. And for a brief instant, you see with all their minds at once - you see Geoff's mounting panic, his desperate attempts to maintain his calm, and you seem him reach for you like a rock in a storm.

Geoff doesn't seem to notice that you're distracted. He pushes his food away. "Well, I can't exactly blame you, it's hardly the most appetising. Anyway, let me invite you to this thing tomorrow." He fumbles with his phone, leaving sweaty fingerprints on the screen. "I'm terribly sorry, I need to... just - " He stands up, sways, and slumps back down into his chair, his breathing rapid and shallow. He's not looking good. What do you do?

Gato fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 24, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

"Nah, I'm in, I told you. Just wanting to make sure this isn't something too miserable. You ever see a sad person drink? And I don't mean sad like Geoff, where you have to roll him to make sure he don't choke on his own vomit and all that. Like, depressed sad. It's absolutely awful. Let's get to, while the finger-wagging types are somewhere else." I gesture towards leaving, shoving a bit more bread in my mouth before I start moving myself. Don't do anything on an empty or a full stomach, best way not to get sick.

"Yeah, so, tell me, whatcha got for today?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Selfish, Outsider

"Oh, come on. Just looking to have a friendly drink with a friend. Speaking of which - that's what I've got. A bit of a problem - the creep who I had pick this up got Black Label instead of normal Captain Morgan. I don't mind the upgrade, but it's a little harsh if you're not used to it."

Don't go nuts - it's just a pint bottle - all I can fit in my bag without the shape of it making itself known. Doesn't mean a whole lot to me, and even if Ash were to drink fully half of it, he'd probably still be okay to walk around. I put an arm around his shoulders, trying to subtly guide him towards the back door.

"So, what do you say? We grab a few bottles from the vending machine and head to the back?"

Turn Someone On
[21:17] Jolinaxas !r 2d6-1
[21:17] Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 4-1 = 3
Oh well, marking xp.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 0

...am I just parsing something wrong, or was half of that not correspondent to reality?

No, no -- he's definitely gotten something wrong. It sounds a little like he's confused me for Constance -- ergo, Teresa did something to Constance, most likely ending with her wounded and disheveled on the grounds. Teresa has that peculiar aura of old money to her, like she's simultaneously immortal and fragile; I wouldn't put it past her, anyway. As for "what happened" -- let's figure that out, too... for now, though, I won't let on I know; who knows what power plays play out amongst the rich and bored? "Not in particular. If it's not unduly long, I'll be alright with it." Strange smile on that boy.

Ah -- I've got a text, too. "Pardon me," I say, pulling my phone to -- of course Constance is a) awake and b) in danger as soon as she awakens; surprisingly, c) she is asking me for help, which indicates that the situation is serious and... well, it practically compels me to run interference, should I cross paths with the Study Group. Not that I like it; they're my ammunition against whoever did this to Constance, if alcohol's on the table... but I digress.

To 'Connie' posted:

confirmed rv. will interf if chance arises. interrogator's identity? intentions? & did you see teresa @ event?

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 24, 2015

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

"So... what happened last night?" She must remember something, surely. Even Geoffrey remembered some of it, through his drunken haze... "I was honestly hoping you could tell me some details. The more I know about it, the better I can protect you from Teresa in the future..." or maybe she won't tell me truthfully, could she be under some order from Teresa? I don't know the limits of her power, even if all she used on Geoffrey was some recorded message. Should I even have trusted Lise this far? How the dickens did Teresa even know about us in the first place?

I wait until she's done with her text, and then add - "I know you're a very intelligent woman, Lise. This is a supremely important matter, and I am trusting you to be forthright with me. Everything you can tell me about last night will be invaluable." Depending on how she responds to this... I'll know how to proceed, at the very least.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 0
Harm: 1+1/4 | EXP: 2+1/5 | Conditions: Buzzkill

Well, he's prying -- and I've more or less received confirmation that Constance was hurt by the direct actions or request of Teresa, although Alex seems to think whatever harm she inflicted could be nonobvious, which suggests that his account is secondhand. (Boozed-up debauch wounds don't heal that quickly, I'm assuming. At the very least I'd be groaning and staggering... well, more so.) It may be wise to take a different tack in the face of this -- "I don't remember her doing anything particularly hostile," I say. Not even untrue -- I've not spoken two words to her since learning her name. "Are you sure you're not thinking of someone else?"

(Plausible deniability: it's not even a lie, really. None of these statements is anything worse than innocuous, which means -- in the event that he discovers his mistake -- he won't blame me.)

(Is it bad that I feel like I'm getting good at this?)

<MetalForehead> Hold Steady to half-truth and misdirect Alex
<MetalForehead> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> MetalForehead, 4+1 = 5
Spending a string to bump it up to 6, triggering "My Candle Burns at Both Ends." Lise suffers 1 harm and gets a 7, and keeps her cool.

(Even if my headache is killing me.)

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

She says doesn't remember. So she's either telling the truth, and is useless to me, or lying for Teresa's sake, and actively trying to deceive me, and... I'm not sure which is worse. Whichever is the case, it's clear that relying on her may have been a mistake. What a waste of time... I can't really conceal my irritation, in my gritted teeth and furrowed brow and narrowed eyes. I trusted her, and she plays these games with me? How badly did I misread her?

"I expected better from you, Langley," I say, cold as my surname suggests. "If you should remember anything, I'm sure you can find me. Maybe you can even trust me. Have a good day." Then, unless she stops me, I'll head over to sit with Sorne - she at least is dependable, and provably so.

[11:25pm] Nown: Shutting Down Buzzkill Lise
[11:25pm] Nown: !r 2d6+1
[11:25pm] Krysmbot: Nown, 10+1 = 11
Giving Lise the Condition Deceiver

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 24, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Look at Fiona trying to be all sexy and suave. I think, sometimes I just think she likes how I smell. Do smell nice, all forest fresh. Still, wouldn't want to be in Drama sober today, because that would be a small tragedy. There's going to be bitching, and it's 50/50 whether it's going to be a bunch of bollocks being screamed or something hilarious, and the numbing will help either way. Two can play at this game, though, as I slip my arm around her waist. "Well, that should do it. Not the best I ever had, but it's lunch, not after-dinner. Don't want to be using something that'd be a pain to throw out."

Worst case, I can even get to some drunken trouble before lunch is even over. Still don't have a good bead on her, though, when it comes to what she actually wants to do when drunk.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Alex: Well, that must have been disappointing. Remind me what it was that drew you to Lise in the first place - do you still see any of that now? As you approach Sorne's table, you see Geoff stand unsteadily, before collapsing back into his chair. He looks very unwell. What do you do?

Lise: Hmm. What's your assessment of your exchange with Alex there? Such a simple misunderstanding - was it really necessary to keep him in the dark about your sister? On the plus side, you have a name now - Teresa - although I'm guessing you don't know much about her? Alex is going to join Sorne and Geoff, who's ticking off all the boxes for 'active fight-or-flight response' - are you going to follow him? On the other hand, the remaining members of the Study Group are springing into action - Lizzie is leaving the hall, walking with a measured, cagey gait that makes you think she's following somebody. Mark is looking at you, like he's deciding whether to approach you. What do you do?

Fiona and Ash: You make it to the loading dock unmolested. As predicted, there's nobody there except a bored Eastern European porter, who stubs out a cigarette and goes back inside as you sit down. Do you bother mixing the rum with anything, or do you just go straight for the bottle? What do you do?

Fiona: Good thing you've got a free period after lunch, right? Mr Ruhlman didn't specify a time for your meeting, which might have caught you off-balance at the time, but looks like a blessing now, as you can turn up at his office with five minutes of break to spare and still be safe. Still, he's probably noticing your absence right about now.

The school faculty takes a string on you.

Anyway, might as well get on with why you're here. What's the most memorable thing you've seen Ash do while drunk? How much are you hoping he'll drink now?

Ash: So here you are - not exactly the height of class, is it? Do you care about that? When was the last time you shared a drink with Fiona like this?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hot: 1 Cold: 1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 0
XP: 3/5 Harm: 0/5 Conditions: Busybody,
Locations: Chemistry Lab

I'm not in a much better state than Cedric, panting and sweating. Darn, and I'm sure I won't have enough time to take a shower. What is Constance hiding? I was entirely prepared to deal with being stonewalled, but what is making her jump out of a window to get away from me. She can't know about us, can she? That would be very, very bad indeed. We definitely need to speak with Lise.

I nod at Cedric. "Good diea. Haste makes ... waste." I trail off, noticing that absence. I'm no stranger to chemistry and biology. KCI. Potassium Chloride. In small concentrations, it's used for treatment of Hypokalemia, a lack of potassium as a result of a diarrhea, excessive perspiration or muscle injury. In higher concentrations, concentrations like this, it is part of the drug cocktail for executions.

"Cedric... some chemicals are missing here. Dangerous chemicals." I take my cell-phone. "We need to get on top of this, now." Who could have taken them? I don't remember anyone. Who could have taken it? Stupid attempt at self-medication or prelude to murder? I close my eyes and let my fingers dance across the buttons.

Gaze about chemicals: 2d6 5 Nada. But gain 1 xp for dark.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 24, 2015

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Well, I'm not surprised at him being all grabby. Honestly, if the rumors are true, I suppose I should be glad I'm not being... ahem, 'motorboated' right here in the dining hall. Slowly opening the door after stopping by a vending machine on the way out, the porter spooks me a little, but my hunch turns out to be correct. As for the bottle - If he wants it straight, that's his choice, but I start pouring out half of the Coke I brought with.

"Christ, I need a fake ID. This scurrying around like rats is starting to wear on me."

He's usually even less of a class act when he's been drinking, when it comes to women. Or men, come to think of it. A few weeks ago, he spooked the hell out of Geoff Liston when he started hitting on him. I'm not sure if the mushrooms Liston was on helped or hindered the attempt, honestly. Now, I'm not after babysitting anyone while the sun's still out, so hopefully he can keep a handle on himself. Just enough to make the day interesting, you know?

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 1 0/5 | Conditions: Clenched, Oblivious

I sigh. I can't believe I got the doors wrong. In front of my girlfriend. "Those doors are a fire hazard." I say trying to salvage my dignity. She probably hated being forced to run.

But when I turn to her, she has a large smile on her face. She's bouncing a little and punching my shoulder. "That was fun." She said. "We should race more often. Perhaps somewhere with fewer doors."

"Yeah. Can you stop hitting me?" I rub my arm. One 30-second sprint and she's acting like a football player. I can't help but smile though. Adrenaline does weird things, I guess. Taken in all though, today is shattering a lot of my preconceptions of her.

"Can I ask something?" I saw awkwardly. "Your friend, Jess. She said she because your friend because you punched her in the face. What exactly did she mean?"

As we walk to 'The Grove' (god I hate that name) a resting couple calls out to Emma. Well, to 'Kidnap Girl' but she responds the same. Something about giving a note to an Alex in our dorm. I don't know. They weren't talking to me. Most people here only talk to me when they want something. Am I wearing a sign that says, "Living doormat" or something? They all seem shocked when I say no. Anyway, during their talk, I fiddle with my keys. I grab the one to the dressing room. The club hid some snacks there. It should make up for the lack of lunch.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 24, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I follow suit with Fiona, knowing that I shouldn't be drinking the whole thing here like she will, but I can..well, sip's not the right word. Neither's enjoy. Maybe I can last through it for the next hour or two, right? Not like I need to drive or nothing. "Yeah? Well, it's not going to stop the scurrying much, pretty sure school's got a problem with all drinking. Still, guess it's easier than just hoping not to get caught." The porter doesn't bother me, what's he going to do, say he saw two kids out behind the place? He doesn't give a rat's about the students as long as we're not giving him poo poo.

On to more important things, I definitely can't keep up with Fiona, so I'm not gonna try. Plus, this much won't make me incoherent. Maybe a little tripsy, but nothing that would get me in trouble. Plus, alcohol passes through the system pretty quickly, one reason I graduated into taking other things, really. This should take the edge off the day. "Anyways, enough about this depressing shite, let's get to it, right?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

.Hot. -1 | Cold +2 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

"Oh, get a hold of yourself. It's only depressing if you think it to be."

Finally. A bit of the hair of the dog, and I'm not going to lie, talking to that teacher will somehow still manage to be boring, even tipsy. Well, since he doesn't seem to want a whole lot, let's pour in a bit more...

But when you're sitting with someone, with these big gaps in conversation as you drink quickly so as not to meander around long enough to get caught, things just sort of pop out of your mouth.

"D-do you think I don't belong here?"

Using Nectar of the Gods to swap Drunk for Outsider or Selfish, depending on how he answers.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 2, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot: 2xCold: -1 Volatile 1x Dark: -1
XP: 4/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions: Fickle

It'd be almost funny watching Tim struggle with the doors you know if we weren't being chased. Well "chased" is probably the wrong word. I suppose Dr Metcalfes walk could be called an amble if you were being generous. It's the platonic ideal of being chased rather than the messy humdrum reality. Still we we're being chased and it got the adrenaline pumping certainly as we ran. Truth is I enjoyed it. "That was fun. We should do it more often, preferably somewhere with fewer doors though." I said giving him a playful punch as I did so.

"Can you stop hitting me." I hadn't even realised I'd done it. I shrugged apologetically and slowed to a more normal pace so he could keep up.

Why I punched Jess. "You've been talking about me with Jess? Well she's obviously not given you the full story it's not the most exciting of tales though. Basically you saw the way Khalid was drooling over me? his previous "victim" had been Jess he'd been all over her till he got bored and she blamed me for leading him on. So she slapped me in front of everyone. So I turned round and punched her hard in the gut. and she went down like a sack of potatoes. Of course one of the faculty would happen to be watching so we ended up in detention together. That was a little awkward, but once we'd both apologised to each other and we both realised what a creep Khalid was we actually got on pretty well and we've been friends ever since." I wasn't going to mention the dreams. Nor the sick rush I'd felt when I'd put her in her place. Tim was a kind and sensitive person and he was the last person I wanted to confide in about that. He wouldn't understand and worse I'm afraid he'd dump me over it. Paranoid maybe but I didn't want to lose him.

I unclenched my fists. Strange I don't remember clenching them to start with. "Ok so my turn for a question then. Why do you hang around with Ash?" I was curious they didn't seem to have a lot in common and yet this morning they seemed thick as thieves. I was willing to let bygones be bygones there though providing Ash kept his hands to himself in future. If not then next time I wouldn't stop at just one punch.

---------------------------------------------------------

Our walk through the grove is interrupted though. Ugh kidnap girl. Is that what they're going to call me for the rest of my life. No matter what I achieve I'll always be the girl who was kidnapped. poo poo. And now I'm expected to be a glorified postwoman. It was all I could do not to roll my eyes at the twins or whatever they are. I don't really recognise them but then I can hardly be expected to know everyone in the school. Had that been it I wouldn't have cared less and just handed over the letter.But I could see the triumphant smirk on the girls face as i agreed to deliver it.

[22:40] Ferrosol holding steady vs curiousity
[22:40] Ferrosol !r 2d6-1
[22:40] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 11-1 = 10
removing fickle

Still I pretended I hadn't noticed and just nodded and took the letter. "Come on Tim let's get out of here." I smiled at him and left the two of them to it. I waited until we'd turned the corner and walked a little further before splitting the envelope open to see what the note inside said. I know I shouldn't read other peoples notes like that but it's not like anyone except me and Tim would find out right? Besides I was curious what the girl wanted with Alex.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Emma: The girl's voice follows you around the corner. "You know, she'd look rather good tied to a chair, don't you think?" If the boy replies, you don't hear it.

You make a bit of a mess opening the envelope - it's going to be pretty obvious that you've looked at it when you give it to Alex. If you give it to Alex. Inside, you find a miniature memory stick and a short note - beautiful cursive on plain lined paper.

quote:

Remember when I said you were taking this too seriously? Remember where?
The girl calls out to you, her voice carrying impressively, her smirk somehow audible. "I wouldn't bother! You'll need a password. I'm sure Alex will share..."

Anyway, you've got plenty of time left before the next lesson, and the drama building is mostly empty. What do you do?

Gato fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 24, 2015

Zomg
Aug 29, 2006

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 2/5 | Conditions: Overbearing, Cruel, Drained

Bloody hell! Whatever I was expecting it wasn't that! As everything comes back into focus I notice Geoff's scattered attempt at merely functioning. My breath is caught in my throat as I just watch him sweat and seemingly breakdown. Finally I manage to react, blinking rapidly as I lean forward to assess him. "Are you alright? Do you want to go see the nurse?" Yeah he really doesn't look good. My eyes avoid the plate of food in front of him, stomach churning so much at the mere thought of it that I don't want to even chance a proper look. The snakes hiss out at the approach of someone familiar, and I turn away from Geoff briefly to lay eyes on the approaching form of Alex. Oh thank goodness. Having backup in this case is good -- especially since I'm not feeling all that great myself.

"Alex! I think Geoff may have fallen ill..."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Class has nothing to do with why I'm here. Someone friendly asks me to drink, I'll drink with them. Simple, how I like things. Then Fiona starts asking about whether she belongs here or not. "Belong here as much as I do, at least. Probably a good half of the school doesn't belong here for all sorts of reasons. But we've got all sorts of reasons to be here, and gently caress 'em if someone thinks otherwise. Just because I don't fall in line doesn't mean I don't belong here, and same for you."

I double-check as I start to pour in my part, definitely treating it with care. Don't want to put the good stuff to waste. "What makes you think that? Someone tell you that you're a naughty girl and you should stop the drinking and the fun?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Selfish, Drunk

"Aye - gently caress 'em."

That was... actually kind of heartwarming. So is the rum, to be fair.

"Eh, ush-usually it's just Alexandra and her odd little friends. But everything's starting to pile up. Lise thought I'd had something to do with what happened to her sister, Alex said something after music. And what happened last we-"

Christ, what am I going on about? And I'm the one who said this wouldn't be depressing. I shake my head to try and clear it a little, but the empty soda bottle just sort of stares back up at me.

"Sorry. Said I wouldn't make this depressing. Change of subject! What do you think of Khalid having all these little parties of his? You think he'll stop if he realizes Emma won't be coming to them? And if so - maybe we should just keep telling him he missed her..."

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Harm: 1/4 | EXP: 1 0/5 | Conditions: Clenched, Oblivious

Walking:

"Oh, okay." I don't get it but I am also not a teenage girl. Still, knowing the full story makes me feel a little better. But I'm sensing a theme.

"Ok so my turn for a question then. Why do you hang around with Ash?"

I think on it for a moment. "Well, we share drama. I mean the club. You know what I mean. Anyway, he's not all bad. He just likes things, um," I pause to think of a proper word, "Interesting. Granted not all of his ideas are good ones." And he's really cute. "He can be nice when he wants to be. I wish he would be nicer though." I sigh. "Was this morning an anomaly? Is he really all bad?" I ask no one in particular.

--
Drama Building:

I direct us to the dressing rooms as Emma looks over the letter. "What's it say? Anything incriminating?" I say jokingly. I'll have to admit, I'm a little curious. Alex is really mysterious. He just gives off an odd aura. Jeez, I sound like mom. I unlock the door and grab some snack bars from one of the drawers. It's the best I can do for now. I smile and hand one to her. "So, we're all alone. . ." I gesture. "We should pick up where we left off." No distractions this time. I hug her tightly and kiss her.
-
Turn on Emma
[17:47] BClip_ !r 2d6+5 (+1 from Entrenched, +1 from True Love)
[17:47] Krysmbot BClip_, 12+5 = 17
String please

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 25, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Well, good to know this wasn't anything about depression at all. Still, luckily for me I've managed only about half of my bottle because of both the alcohol and the drink. Real sweet mixed with real bite, just makes me cringe a little with every drink. "Right, you're definitely all giggles and rainbows. Not important, though, I think Khalid would catch on eventually. He's not all that bright but he's not that stupid. Plus, he'll find some other girl that he thinks is playing hard to get that he'll chase after. Predictable like that, really. Is that some scheming I'm hearing from Fiona Canavan?"

I get closer to Fiona, not being the least bit subtle about what's going on. "The tightarse brigade got one thing right, you are definitely naughty." I'm grinning to myself, probably disturbing her space bubble a bit too much, but we're both at least a little drunk, what's the worst that could happen?

[06:47.03] <thelazyblank> Turn on Fiona
[06:47.09] <thelazyblank> !r 2d6+2
[06:47.09] <Krysmbot> thelazyblank, 6+2 = 8
String/Give Self/Promise.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

For a second, the whole thing seems so sweet. And don't get me wrong - I still feel like he probably "gets me" more than most.

But he -is- Ash. He's already had his face in a pair of tits today, and it's barely mid-day. He lives to get a rise out of people. And there's a really easy way to do that, and he knows that. Fine. But you know what? Two can play at that game.

"You want to really give them something to talk about?"

He wants to get face-to-face? His little game of personal-space "chicken" just ended. In a collision.

Giving Self.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Well, now. Looks like one doesn't stick around to play games. "What I live for." People think I just like getting a rise out of them every once in a while. It's not wrong, but doesn't mean there's not some honest feeling behind it. As close as she is, she probably thinks I wouldn't have a problem sneaking a kiss. Guess she thought I was bluffing, but I don't bluff except in cards. There was no sneaking here, just full-on kissing. I may have a weird sense of personal space, but I'll wait to see how she responds before going further. I'm impulsive, not vile. I'm also not psychic, she could just be trying to prove a point.

She's fit, though, so it'd be a shame.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Well, this is unexpected. I was honestly assuming he'd just sort of back off immediately, laugh it off, and we'd be sitting here half-drunk and awkward for a while.

After a few more moments, I break it off, not because I'm exactly keen to, but because at least one consideration needs to be made.

"What do you suppose the odds are of someone else coming out back here for the next little while? And more importantly, do you care?"

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

"Don't care. To both, really." I grin, the one nice thing about being without shame is that you can answer questions like that honestly.

Fade to Black?

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 25, 2015

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

I grin back. It looks like Professor Ruhlman may have to wait.

"Hey - just making sure..."

Seems so.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 2, 2015

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Hot: 2xCold: -1 Volatile 1x Dark: -1
XP: 4/5 Harm: 0/4 Conditions:

Walking

Dammit how could she know. Still the note is disappointingly vague and if the stuff on the usb stick is password protected I can forget about it. I'm not a hacker and I don't really know Alex well enough to guess what his password is. He largely moves in his own little circle all of whom are quite close knit. Guess my curiosity will have to go unsatisfied.

However there was still Ash. "I wouldn't call Ash nice. He seems to be always winding people up just to provoke a reaction." I frowned "Still as long as he keeps his hands to himself he can do what he likes." I'd rather not even think about him that's giving him the attention he craves.

========================================

Ash's dressing room

I handed him the note. "More cryptic than incriminating but unless you're more familiar with him than I am it doesn't mean anything to me." And then all that's forgotten especially after he kissed me like that and pulled me closer. Wow where had he learnt to kiss like that. Jesus. I wriggled out of his grasp just briefly and gave him a low throaty growl. "If you're sure we won't be disturbed them...." I said playfully as I began unbuttoning my shirt "I'm sure we can find something to pass the time." He stood there almost mesmerised as I stalked towards him Kissing like that deserved to be rewarded.

giving self/fade to black?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Disappointing indeed. I might even call off our 'date' at this point, unless my mood improves before tomorrow. I'd had Lise pegged as ferociously intelligent, driven and diligent, and too straightforward to indulge in these stupid aristocratic games. I still see some of that in her, but... right now I'm not happy at all. The only silver lining to that farce was that Teresa must have been involved. So once I've dealt with her, and broken whatever hold she has on Lise, the situation might be redeemable...

But that's a thought for another time... because Geoff looks worse than just hung over. Is that a part of it too - Teresa's birthright? In my vision, Geoff had had to do whatever she told him, so... can she simply tell someone to get sick, and it happens? That's quite a formidable power, if so. Now I'm curious - I almost don't want to help Geoff, so I can see what happens next. He'd be useful as a guinea pig... but being that callous in front of Sorne can't possibly end well, can it?

I sigh as I set down my untouched tray of food. "Well, I suppose we'd better get him to the nurse, then. Come on, Geoff, give me your arm..." and passing his arm over my shoulders, I help him up, supporting his weight. He might be fat, but I'm not weak. "I'll get him there and get back, quick as I can," I say to Sorne with a smile. If she stays here, after all, there's no chance that Teresa will know she's my friend, and target her. Plus, Geoff's trip to the nurse can be delayed, of course; a little sidetrack to a quiet area where I can try some things and observe his condition...

Then again, if she does come along I can use the time to plan with her. I'll be fine either way, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

We’re coming to the end of the scene. Alex, Lise, Sorne and Alexandra get this prompt and possibly another, depending on what happens now. Those you who’ve snuck off to enjoy each others’ company will get your final prompts of the scene in a bit. Sorry for the disconnect, but I just want to keep everyone in roughly the same timeframe.

Sorne, Lise, Alex: Geoff looks up with a glazed expression, but his legs give way as he struggles to his feet, sending him toppling to the ground. His face is sweaty, but his hands are mottled and cool. His breathing is rapid, shallow, and irregular, his chest and belly pumping erratically. Dr Metcalfe dashes for the phone in the corner, suddenly looking incredibly young and frightened. What do you do?

All three of you need to roll Hold Steady if you’re going to help Geoff. If you fail the roll, you can still carry on, but any aid you give Geoff will be less effective.

Alexandra: Your augmented subconscious dives and searches and weaves but nothing connects. Your fingers tap out the atomic numbers of potassium and chloride to three decimal places but you simply don’t know the physiology. And while you make a promising start through Wikipedia before long you’re bogged down in details of potassium replacement dosage via maintenance fluids in the context of hypokalaemia and in the context of insulin infusion and ECG identification of acute tachyarrhythmia due to hyperkalaemia and -
- your phone rings: it’s Mark, and there’s a faint note of panic in his voice. “Geoff just keeled over in the dining hall! Do you know if – what should – what should we do?” You’re not even at medical school yet and people want your guidance. What do you do?

Remember guys, the OOC thread isn't just for character sheets! If you know you're going to be busy or otherwise unlikely/unable to post, just drop a short note there and we can work around you.

• Locked thread