Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
I'm surprised you gave up on the Duck Hunt Maze. It's actually really easy, and I do feel like I could make it trickier with, like, longer level, invis coins, etc.

Going all the way up was the big mistake; you needed to go about halfway up, take the big drop about halfway through, then climb up and run across a one block wide gap to drop down next to a stairway leading to the exit.

Mega Man Turtles and Sonic Springs (not the Game Gear remake) will probably be the first to go if I need more upload slots, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

death .cab for qt posted:

That was one rowdy trout, but Turtilicious seem preoccupied by the glue left on his nintendo portable handheld system. Perhaps next time you could include a cocommentator who had purchased a superior DS cartridge holder?

I keep using the nail polish but nothing is happening. I will put it away the next time I commentate.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
yo putty I'll be in a video I can bring the level of quality this lp deserves

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

yo putty I'll be in a video I can bring the level of quality this lp deserves

complete the level i made today (not the mystery one) and it can be done

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
ok I did it. That level played much like it feels to record a video with putty.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I made a bunch of lovely levels that are essentially my nightmare in terms of levels and I uploaded them for the sake of being a big rear end. Should I still link them here? How do people get screenshots of their levels up?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a leaf in that box right next to where you start in the Spelunky level. I should have just placed it where you start so you can't miss it, but it was one of my earlier levels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also I put all the powerups in because it wasn't fun otherwise.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FactsAreUseless posted:

There's a leaf in that box right next to where you start in the Spelunky level. I should have just placed it where you start so you can't miss it, but it was one of my earlier levels.

Watching Putty overlook that box every time, I figured it must have something good, and laughed at him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Watching Putty overlook that box every time, I figured it must have something good, and laughed at him.
That and the initial ghost were a bad design choice. But that's Mario Maker!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the next time i miss something obvious in a level I'll just edit it out in post to make myself look smart

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Putty posted:

the next time i miss something obvious in a level I'll just edit it out in post to make myself look smart

"And so Putty took another step on the long path to LP super-stardom."

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
:science: By the way in your first Goon Pack video you play some levels by Tom from 'England', but it's an Australian flag next to his name.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lord Banana posted:

:science: By the way in your first Goon Pack video you play some levels by Tom from 'England', but it's an Australian flag next to his name.

Close enough :911:

...:australia: :britain:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lord Banana posted:

Ha, I figured Putty did that on purpose.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Play this one:

4911-0000-008f-b28d

It's a bit of a noodle-scratcher.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lord Banana posted:

Oh yeah I was going to comment on that myself but I just thought I'd let it slide. (Tom from England here)

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
god damnit

In other news sorry that judging for the Bowser Levels is taking so long (I'm counting the Mouser one), recording solo commentary is just really uncanny I can't get used to it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SMaster777 posted:

I'm surprised you gave up on the Duck Hunt Maze. It's actually really easy, and I do feel like I could make it trickier with, like, longer level, invis coins, etc.

Going all the way up was the big mistake; you needed to go about halfway up, take the big drop about halfway through, then climb up and run across a one block wide gap to drop down next to a stairway leading to the exit.

Mega Man Turtles and Sonic Springs (not the Game Gear remake) will probably be the first to go if I need more upload slots, though.

The solution seemed pretty apparent once you got to the end of the level and could see one-block wide gap heading straight to the castle. However, Putty getting frustrated and quitting was funnier, sooooooo, I hope more people make levels with the explicit intention of frustrating Putty!

Also, Mario goes to the Art Gallery looked pretty rad.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Blind Sally posted:

The solution seemed pretty apparent once you got to the end of the level and could see one-block wide gap heading straight to the castle. However, Putty getting frustrated and quitting was funnier, sooooooo, I hope more people make levels with the explicit intention of frustrating Putty!

That said, mazes universally suck. Don't do mazes unless you are some kind of utter genius that can make mazes not suck.

I tried making a good Bowser level myself. I had such a totally rad idea but every time I tried to execute it it sucked, so I didn't do it.

Here's a level that has nothing to do with Bowser: 2126-0000-00A0-60B8
It's not super hard or anything but until a couple days ago no one aside from me had finished it.

Maybe I'll return to this thread once I make a good level that will blow everybody's socks off!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Here's a level for you:
Social Commentary in Video Games
FB5D-0000-00B2-F530

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I tried and tested and decided that talking over Mario levels critically was boring as hell so I'm gonna do it with a post!!!!! Provided will be commentary-less video links of me completing the levels for context.

:siren: Mario Contest #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:siren:

The keyword for these levels was BOWSER! I've counted all levels that were made for the contest or at least I pretended they were.

Mersenne posted:

Bowser's Blast Bastion - 3600-0000-0083-21CD

It's a castle filled with things that go boom. Much like Bowser's Castle in the original SMW, there's more than one way to reach the end. Perhaps there's even a shortcut hidden somewhere...

Video

This level is one of the more extremely hard ones due to the combination of length and difficulty that Mario Maker is getting rather infamous for. The layout consists of many branching paths depending on where you go in the level and all the paths are highly difficult to maneuver through. This difficulty mostly comes from the heavy use of cannonfire that is difficult to avoid, especially so if you're trying to solve a puzzle. The cannonballs blend into the environment and seem to be less noticeable with all the other things going on in the screen leading to a lot of cheap deaths. The shortcut that can be taken requires timing a hard bomb throw on some blocks (in the vid) that I found to usually take more time than compared to playing the level normally. Otherwise the rest of the level is just more dodging stuff and uses Bombs to blow up stuff. Only for the most hardcore of Marios.

Best Part - Lots of powerups help offset difficulty.

Worst Part - Getting shanked by Thwomps due to the blindspots from having a tall level.

Gimbal lock posted:

Here's a fresh one from today. I'm a little worried by its difficulty, but we'll see. It was originally supposed to be for the Bowser-theme, but now Mouser's back with no Bowser in sight!

Mouser's coup d'état: D6DD-0000-008E-2383

Video

Sure, this counts. Remember Mouser????? No? This level mostly revolves around bombs blowing up stuff and challenging bomb puzzles because I don't think Mouser actually had any other hobbies. One of the things that makes this level slog a bit is the beginning part that teaches you Lava/Bombs can blow up POW blocks. It's cool the first time, but every life after that you have to wait a solid 7 seconds for the Spinys to get killed and it kills your momentum. The latter puzzles I was also confused if I even solved them the right way (see the vid) and the last one felt rather RNG based for some odd reason. Mouser is also a pushover since he just takes one jump (this can't be helped) and is usually killed by his own bombs.

Best Part - Puzzles are always fun compared to the norm gameplay.

Worst Part - I CAN'T BELIEVE MOUSER'S DEAD

FPzero posted:

I forgot I made a Bowser level the other day.

Bowser's Budget Bombastion
0976-0000-0095-1A26

Bowser built a castle on a shoestring budget and then had the bright idea to put bombs everywhere.

Video

Looks like Bowser invested all his money into Bitcoins and doesn't have enough real money to make another castle!!! :eyepop: This level has a lot of bricks and bombs, suggesting that Bowser is fishing for insurance fraud rather than the Princess this time around. Despite this, the level is mostly solid with good platforming and fair difficulty where Mario has to platform while avoiding bombs that destroy the level. I noticed that say even if you were to destroy the whole level, at certain points there are iron blocks within walls that cannot be destroyed, still allowing platforming and making the level never unbeatable. The fact that you can destroy most of the blocks in the level DOES come with a heavy price though (see the vid).

Best Part - Secrets can be found by exploring and within the structural blocks of the castle.

Worst Part - 1ups are for children.

Sam Faust posted:

Here's my level for the contest. I almost don't want to post the name. It should be something you see right before you start playing the level. I had this idea in my head for a while, but now I have a reason to actually make it.

The floor is Bowsers. What!

(4A56-0000-0082-33BA)

Video

This is a short simple, and amazing level. Watch the video right now if you haven't. Mario must go to the pharmacy to get his medicine, but the three Bowsers from the Nintendo World Championship are out to stop him with. Every second is sacred so if you don't speedrun the thing the Bowsers will destroy everything, causing an untimely death. The Bowsers are unpredictable though, so sometimes you'll find out that the entire ground has gone missing mid-transit. I didn't know you could spinjump off walls until now.

Best Part - The floor is Bowsers

Worst Part - Lack of babyfaces

:yoshi:AND THE WINNER IS...:yoshi:

BOWSER'S BUDGET BOMBSTATION CONGRATS FORUMS USER FPZERO NOW MAKE THE NEW LEVEL CONTEST THEME I'M GOING TO GO DRINK HEAVILY

i didn't spellcheck any of this

Putty fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 21, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I laughed at you breaking FPzero's level and I like the alt-solution thumbnail in Gimbal's. Those vids were a lot of fun to watch even without commentary.

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
Figured I would wait till my level got some plays to post it here for you to try out and with A 10% clear rate i wanna see how you can do at it (especially since i thought it was an easy level when i made it

ABA8-0000-0013-5c45

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

Brokenogre posted:

Figured I would wait till my level got some plays to post it here for you to try out and with A 10% clear rate i wanna see how you can do at it (especially since i thought it was an easy level when i made it

ABA8-0000-0013-5c45

It's a castle level with flaming fish and a double bowser also shell hats

meant to edit not quote sorry

Brokenogre fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 21, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My new car is great thanks everyone.

For the next theme let's go with Giant Land. Make a level that uses Giant and Small enemies and objects creatively. I've been wanting to make one of these anyway.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
this one sounds easy so i expect everyone who posts in the LP subforum to submit an entry by next Wedsday (the 28th)

:siren:CURRENT CONTEST::siren:

Make a level based of the theme of "Giant Land", pretty straightforward.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Putty posted:

I tried and tested and decided that talking over Mario levels critically was boring as hell so I'm gonna do it with a post!!!!! Provided will be commentary-less video links of me completing the levels for context.

I dunno. I much prefer the commentary (do it later if that's better than doing it live) to blank videos and a few notes in the post.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I have an unfinished draft right here of what I originally planned to do if you want to look at it for comparison.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Any solution is a good solution The alt solution was the intended one :ssh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Putty posted:

I have an unfinished draft right here of what I originally planned to do if you want to look at it for comparison.

Actually, that was pretty good too. You should do whatever, man, I'm just enjoying the videos.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Putty posted:

:siren: Mario Contest #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:siren:

The keyword for these levels was BOWSER! I've counted all levels that were made for the contest or at least I pretended they were.

Why didn't you play my level for the Bowser contest. Was it that bad?

Sam Faust posted:

Here's my level for the contest. I almost don't want to post the name. It should be something you see right before you start playing the level. I had this idea in my head for a while, but now I have a reason to actually make it.

(4A56-0000-0082-33BA)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FPzero posted:

My new car is great thanks everyone.

For the next theme let's go with Giant Land. Make a level that uses Giant and Small enemies and objects creatively. I've been wanting to make one of these anyway.

Congrats FP. And good work Cirv and Gimbal too. I don't have Mario Maker, but I sure as hell know I would die on all three of those levels. So good job showing them off too, Putty.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Sam Faust posted:

Why didn't you play my level for the Bowser contest. Was it that bad?

Ah crap I missed this one, I'll play it later today and give it the same treatment.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Putty posted:

Ah crap I missed this one, I'll play it later today and give it the same treatment.

I wait with bated breath.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If it's better than FPZero's, does that mean Sam Faust also picks a theme and that there will be two running concurrently?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It means that I have to give up my car and I already started tricking it out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Putty posted:

I like it!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Sam Faust posted:

I wait with bated breath.

:mario::mario::mario:

(this is in the original post now)

Sam Faust posted:

(4A56-0000-0082-33BA)

Video

This is a short simple, and amazing level. Watch the video right now if you haven't. Mario must go to the pharmacy to get his medicine, but the three Bowsers from the Nintendo World Championship are out to stop him with. Every second is sacred so if you don't speedrun the thing the Bowsers will destroy everything, causing an untimely death. The Bowsers are unpredictable though, so sometimes you'll find out that the entire ground has gone missing mid-transit. I didn't know you could spinjump off walls until now.

Best Part - The floor is Bowsers

Worst Part - Lack of babyfaces

I like both this and FPZero's level equally so I decided to solve this the biblical way and split the prize. FPZero gets to keep the level theme while Sam Faust gets the brand new car which is a Delorean now because it's Back to the Future day for some reason.

Next contest I'll experiment with video a bit more so stay tuned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Goodbye Ford Pinto, you were so young.

• Locked thread