Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Baxter posted:

Puppies were probably all Hey wtf

never would've happened if there was a good puppy with a gun

and all dogges are good dogges

what i'm saying is we should arm dogges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Tezzor posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/10/05/11-year-old-charged-with-murdering-8-year-old-after-arguing-about-puppies/

“She was a precious little girl,” Dyer said through tears in an on-air interview with WATE. “She was a mommy’s girl. No matter how bad of a mood you were in, she could always make you smile.”
Ma'am I'm afraid we have incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If eight year old little girls have to be shredded to gory bits by buckshot every so often to guarantee my right to stroke and caress my beautiful guns then so be it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Windows 98 posted:

The difference between justice and vengeance is simple. Justice is resolution devolved out of the law of the land and abides by the moral code of society. Vengeance is whatever the gently caress you want due to a personal vendetta for punishment. I can serve justice as a judge who wasn't involved in the altercation. If something didn't actually happen to me I can't act out vengeance (avenging is different but also not justice).

humor aside, you are greatly in error if you don't think any uninvolved third parties are at times strictly motivated by outrage rather than calm, detached :airquote: justice :airquote:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

you won't be saiyan this after a gang of rabid pitbulls guns you down in cold blood

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Ma'am I'm afraid we have incontrovertible evidence to the contrary.

Who's to say that her getting obliterated by a shotgun didn't bring a smile to that little boys face?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like maybe don't teach your 11 year old how to shoot a gun loving moron idiots

i'm really mad in cases like this that the kid's parents aren't charged with some poo poo.

quote:

“When we first moved White Pine, the little boy was bullying MaKayla. He was making fun of her, calling her names, just being mean to her,”

obv the boy's parents were poo poo parents.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 6, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
shot her from inside his house, sounds like a long shot with a shotgun. kid should go out for the trap team.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

how can your children be ready for the coming race war if you dont train them as young as possible how to kill people with guns that shoot bullets

for those that don't recognize the picture very shortly after this was taken she scored a perfect k/d match

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

kid's going to have to become the head of two major corporations now to make up for this waste of life

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

obv the boy's parents were poo poo parents.
Anyone who leaves a gun where their kid can get it and shoot someone is a poo poo parent

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why couldn't the freedumbs be internally consistent and just go "the only moral gun is my gun ergo ban guns"? would make a lotta sense imo

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

like maybe don't teach your 11 year old how to shoot a gun loving moron idiots

i'm really mad in cases like this that the kid's parents aren't charged with some poo poo.
What would the point be? A deterrent to other parents? I think if people are willing to risk little timmy shooting themselves then jailtime after it happens isn't going to provide any more insensitive to be a not be a dipshit. I mean take their guns away sure but all locking up dad would do is make 2 broken families.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quakster posted:

why couldn't the freedumbs be internally consistent and just go "the only moral gun is my gun ergo ban guns"? would make a lotta sense imo
Too busy fuckin' slaves/fighting duels/fuckin' cougars*

*Franklin only

EDIT wait were you not referring to the founding fathers oops

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

What would the point be? A deterrent to other parents? I think if people are willing to risk little timmy shooting themselves then jailtime after it happens isn't going to provide any more insensitive to be a not be a dipshit. I mean take their guns away sure but all locking up dad would do is make 2 broken families.

what's the point in charging any criminals?

pretend the boy's dad shot the little girl and apply the same logic; all you'd do by locking him up is make 2 broken families and you're not deterring anyone.

there has to be some loving accountability somewhere. in my ideal state both parents would lose their gun license, the kid would be barred from having one ever, and the parents would be forced to take parenting classes and the entire family would have to go to therapy. I recognize that prison is poo poo and doesn't really help the situation and the whole system needs reform but that's what it is right now.

since every single system we have is broken as gently caress idk what the solution is but imo it isn't send an obviously troubled 11 year old to prison for 1st degree murder.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 6, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

You say this like it's a downside.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the family that produced the murdering 11 year old is pretty broken already so why not try something new

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

what's the point in charging any criminals?

pretend the dad shot the little girl and apply the same logic; all you'd do by locking him up is make 2 broken families and you're not deterring anyone.

Well except the dad is an adult capable of making their own decisions and understands what death is. That would be murder then and as a potential danger to society it would make sense to have them behind bars for some period of time. Depending on how much culpability you want to assign an 11 year old with a shotgun, while you could still call this a murder the fact that the kid got ahold of the shotgun was not premeditated on the dad's part. It was irresponsible sure, and he shouldn't be allowed to have guns, but if he had no guns he wouldn't be a danger.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Well except the dad is an adult capable of making their own decisions and understands what death is. That would be murder then and as a potential danger to society it would make sense to have them behind bars for some period of time. Depending on how much culpability you want to assign an 11 year old with a shotgun, while you could still call this a murder the fact that the kid got ahold of the shotgun was not premeditated on the dad's part. It was irresponsible sure, and he shouldn't be allowed to have guns, but if he had no guns he wouldn't be a danger.

I'm not saying charge the dad with murder one, but there should be some criminal negligence charges involved here for the parents and there should be someone from the state investigating why the kid is so hosed up that he bullies and shoots other kids. Look our prison system is so hosed that I can't condone anyone going into it assuming you're trying to have a beneficial outcome for society and not just wanting to punish criminals (which does nothing but make people feel better) but the parents of the boy have way more culpability than the boy.

Obviously it isn't premeditated but there's all sorts of crimes that aren't premeditated. Manslaughter. Negligence resulting in wrongful death. Child Endangerment. I'm not a DA but I'm sure there's others. I don't think sending the parents to prison is going to help but I don't think charging the kid with murder and saying 'justice has been served' is quite good enough either. What prevents these idiot parents from having another kid and loving him up the same way? Nothing.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 6, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I guess because I want to give the 11 year old the benefit of the doubt and assume he just didn't understand the gravity of what he was doing I would rather view this as an accident that occurred due to negligence. Because it was an accident, I don't think anyone really needs to be punished (though the kid probably does need to be closely monitored in some manner), but because of the negligence I do think the dad bears some fault and should be open to civil suits and should no longer be allowed to have guns.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
natural selection is the only true god

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

I guess because I want to give the 11 year old the benefit of the doubt and assume he just didn't understand the gravity of what he was doing I would rather view this as an accident that occurred due to negligence. Because it was an accident, I don't think anyone really needs to be punished (though the kid probably does need to be closely monitored in some manner), but because of the negligence I do think the dad bears some fault and should be open to civil suits and should no longer be allowed to have guns.

Manslaughter is an accident resulting in someone's death and it is still a crime.

If you leave a loaded shotgun out and your kid takes it and shoots someone then you are responsible - in the same way you would be as if you left your car parked on a steep hill without the parking brake on and it rolls and kills someone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Moridin920 posted:

pretend the boy's dad shot the little girl and apply the same logic;

I think a better analogy would be: pretend the father had a trained attack pitbull loose in the house and he left the front door open and it killed that little girl.

What I'm saying is that the boy should be seized by rangers and euthanised.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Send him right back to the parents that trained him to use guns to solve disputes yes

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Plus this obviously wasn't just 'oops an accident,' this poo poo shows a clear pattern of poo poo parenting between the kid bullying the girl in the past and the kid obviously having been taught how to shoot a shotgun at an early age but failing to have been taught the significance of the gun and what it can do.

A toddler isn't fully developed and can't reason right/wrong like adults do. Fine. Don't loving give them the power of life and death then, morons. If you do, you are liable for what your kid does.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Manslaughter is an accident resulting in someone's death and it is still a crime.
Yeah and I would fully disagree with locking someone up for it unless there was evidence that they were a risk for it happening again or it was otherwise unpractical to marginally restrict their freedoms to avoid another incident. In this case though the solution is as easy as taking their guns.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

...failing to have been taught the significance of the gun and what it can do.

Oh I think he learned the significance of what happens when you shoot people you're mad at just fine

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

taking their guns.

Of all the possible outcomes this is the one that is least likely in America.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah and I would fully disagree with locking someone up for it unless there was evidence that they were a risk for it happening again or it was otherwise unpractical to marginally restrict their freedoms to avoid another incident. In this case though the solution is as easy as taking their guns.

And ignoring the fact that these parents are raising a menace to society through their lovely parenting?

All you're going to essentially do is teach the kid that you can kill someone and get a slap on the wrist. The parents will be lovely parents + pissed that their guns are gone. A recipe for an excellent home life, for sure.

Again I'm not saying prison is the right answer but just wagging your finger and taking the guns away is not far enough.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

Taht is a slippery slope, what about pit bulls?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

And ignoring the fact that these parents are raising a menace to society through their lovely parenting?

All you're going to essentially do is teach the kid that you can kill someone and get a slap on the wrist. The parents will be lovely parents + pissed that their guns are gone. A recipe for an excellent home life, for sure.

Again I'm not saying prison is the right answer but just wagging your finger and taking the guns away is not far enough.
Whether or not the cps should get involved is an entirely different issue and different discussion that has nothing to do with who should be getting criminal charges here. I get that taking away their guns and telling them to think about what they did feels woefully inadequate but on principle I feel like you need mens rea or some other evidence that the person is likely to repeat their actions to assign steeper penalties. If at the end of the day you can get the people involved to never cause an incident again then that's really the best you can do, you can't change what's already been done.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

A toddler isn't fully developed and can't reason right/wrong like adults do. Fine. Don't loving give them the power of life and death then, morons. If you do, you are liable for what your kid does.

An 11 year-old is not considered a 'toddler', hth.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe they should put small guns inside the kinder eggs and then they would be legal. Then timmy would have been trying to eat his kinder egg and McKayzie was all "no you can't eat those you could choke" and then timmy would pull out the gun filling, put on some shades, "Choke on this" blat blat.

If all guns and ammunition were required to be sold inside of food items, they would become illegal. This is the back door solution to America's gun violence.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Whether or not the cps should get involved is an entirely different issue and different discussion that has nothing to do with who should be getting criminal charges here. I get that taking away their guns and telling them to think about what they did feels woefully inadequate but on principle I feel like you need mens rea or some other evidence that the person is likely to repeat their actions to assign steeper penalties. If at the end of the day you can get the people involved to never cause an incident again then that's really the best you can do, you can't change what's already been done.

I mean again I agree our justice system is hosed and sending someone to prison in this situation isn't going to help anything. All I'm trying to say is I think ultimately the parents are way more culpable than the kid is and I think it is astounding that apparently the kid is getting charged with murder 1 and the parents are getting off free, in terms of state intervention or charges (although I'm sure they're about to lose some civil suits).

DaveSplitter posted:

An 11 year-old is not considered a 'toddler', hth.

if your 11 year old goes for the shotgun in your closet and hits the neighbor from the window then odds are you taught him to shoot and be comfortable with guns before he was 11.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For many people yes just one killing is enough to satisfy their lust for killing and death

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
I can see this actually being a self defense situation. The boy was inside his house, his "castle". The little girl gets mad and charges the boy with her dog in tow, could be scary. Boy panics and grabs the shotgun near the door in order to defend the home.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
:911: :shrek:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
theres like 5 gun threads in gbs now

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

There's actually a reason we lock people up when they behave dangerously without regard to other peoples lives. We actually have a mechanism in place for punishing people who act with disregard to public safety, same as drunk driving and other crimes where the ultimate death was unintentional, but the death was easily preventable and meets the standards we as a society have agreed upon as reasonable. Do you think the poor decision making of the parents, with regards to the safety of others, is limited exclusively to guns? If not they would actually pose an ongoing threat.

You are basically taking the absurd and untenable stance that we should only imprison people who commit crimes with malice, and that wanton disregard for public safety should be handled by the government withholding permits. So we, as a society, agree to give everyone carte blanche to accidentally kill or maim someone, and our solution to these accidents is to restrict their ability to do that activity in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Marketing New Brain posted:

So we, as a society, agree to give everyone carte blanche to accidentally kill or maim someone, and our solution to these accidents is to restrict their ability to do that activity in the future?
Ah yes, the "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" theory of justice

• Locked thread