Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Hah this LP is awesome so far. Nice one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying it :)

Episode 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yByvuEHw0Tk
In this episode we check out the cave near Erana's Peace.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Side note: You might have noticed the bear has a fight screen sprite -- you saw it when he was transforming back into the baronet. It is possible to fight the baronet in bear form, although I don't remember exactly what happens if you win (obviously nothing good.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Anime Reference posted:

Side note: You might have noticed the bear has a fight screen sprite -- you saw it when he was transforming back into the baronet. It is possible to fight the baronet in bear form, although I don't remember exactly what happens if you win (obviously nothing good.)

The bear keels over and transforms into the baronet as it dies. The hero then says "Oh poo poo" (paraphrasing) and you otherwise continue on. Technically speaking, you don't even have to find the little bastard to complete the game.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

:aaa:

Now I really wish I hadn't lost my QFG1 save games when my HDD crashed. I might have time to go do that in a bonus thing though. I had no idea!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you don't even lose points or anything for killing him do you? Although if I recall it is one of the toughest fights in the game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You don't lose points per se, but you fail to gain a lot of puzzle points and you also fail to get the reward money for returning the Baronet, so all around its just not a good idea

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Aces High posted:

you don't even lose points or anything for killing him do you? Although if I recall it is one of the toughest fights in the game

Throughout the entire series, I think there's only one thing you can do in QfG3 that actually loses you puzzle points. There's plenty you can do wrong or not do, but all that means is you don't get a full score at the end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Throughout the entire series, I think there's only one thing you can do in QfG3 that actually loses you puzzle points. There's plenty you can do wrong or not do, but all that means is you don't get a full score at the end.

You can lose puzzle points in QFG1, at least in the remake, if you Kill the flowers to get their seed, probably as a way to warn you you just entered an unwinnable state.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If you get drunk in HQ1 on Trolls Sweat, then you lose 5 points :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hope everybody had a good New Year :). Apologies for the delay, Youtube is being a dick. I'm heading out tonight so I'm throwing the link up now, but it told me it was Processing at 95%.

Hopefully Youtube sorts itself out soon. Have a good one :)

Update 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtGBZiZrmg (Fixed!)
Baba Yaga and Spielburg at night.

H13 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 4, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Not available almost five hours later - you'll probably need to cancel, delete it, and reupload. Youtube has some problems.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gaaaaahh. Sorry folks! I've been trying to get this uploaded since Saturday morning. Youtube just isn't being helpful. I'm getting it to upload now. It's 3AM. Hopefully it'll be done and ready to go by the time I wake up :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apologies for the double post, but it's working now :)

Update 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GtGBZiZrmg (Fixed!)
Baba Yaga and Spielburg at night.

(Note: It took 2 days for this to work. I got it uploading when I said I did and just left it to do it's thing. When it was finished this morning, I had apparently uploaded 3 different copies of this file. Go figure.)

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Uh-n-gyuu-ent. Not that I knew this back when I first played it, of course.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Red Mike posted:

Uh-n-gyuu-ent. Not that I knew this back when I first played it, of course.

Mystery solved.

...it's still a stupid word.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hey I was right when I guessed as a kid, go me.

I say that because as a kid when I first saw the word fascism my response was "face-ism, that doesn't sound so bad"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

hey I was right when I guessed as a kid, go me.

I say that because as a kid when I first saw the word fascism my response was "face-ism, that doesn't sound so bad"

Speaking as a teacher, that's a ridiculously common mistake.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
My plan for this LP was to upload a video over Friday night and post it Saturday morning.

It's now 1:30AM on Sunday. Youtube is being awful to me at the moment and I'm not sure why. Regardless, here's the video.

Update 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfnbREJx6Kw
Tying up loose ends

Let me know if there's any quality issues. It would only play in 360p at the moment, but the video file is most definitely in 1080p. I think it's just 'cos my connection is suffering at the moment because of the 30-odd hours of uploading Youtube has done....

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Night10194 posted:

You can lose puzzle points in QFG1, at least in the remake, if you Kill the flowers to get their seed, probably as a way to warn you you just entered an unwinnable state.

However, you DON'T lose Puzzle Points for attempting to kill the white stag, even though doing this makes your game just as unwinnable.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Huh! This game is not as long as I remember when you cut out some training stuff. You've been showing me some stuff I did not know about it, too.

Oh, did you know that if your stats were pretty low when you go see the Faeries and dance, you dance pretty drat awfully?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cosmic Afro posted:

Oh, did you know that if your stats were pretty low when you go see the Faeries and dance, you dance pretty drat awfully?

That's awesome! I didn't know that because I always went to the faeries when I wasn't going to be instantly killed by anything at night.

I'm playing my way through QFG3 at the moment and it's made me wonder which of the 3 games is my favourite.

As I said before, I did regard 3 as my favourite, but when you record\edit videos for an LP, you notice far more about each game than you did before. QFG 3 has got some pretty...awful writing in it. Plus it's buggy as poo poo and the speed mechanic is pretty terrible. It'd also be pretty easy at one point to wonder around with literally no idea what to do because certain events hadn't triggered. Don't even get me started on the combat. I really like the land of Tarna and the soundtrack is awesome, but QFG3 is actually surprisingly mediocre if you ever have to scratch the surface.

QFG2 has some pacing issues, but you're never left feeling without a purpose. Despite the pacing issues, it's a very well structured story and the characters develop with your character. As you're kicking rear end, you see the effect of your actions so you really feel like you're doing stuff. On top of that, fighters have EOF, Wizards have WIT and thieves have 3 houses they can crack into, plus a completely different ending. As I said, I got nearly 100% of points mostly just by paying attention. I think that because of this LP, QFG2 might have come out on top as my favourite in the series.

...Except that I have such huge nostalgia for QFG1 that I can't beat that. But what's really blowing my mind with it is that you guys keep telling me about stuff I didn't know about. I think it's fairly clear that I never looked at a walkthrough to figure these games out but I thought I knew everything about QFG1 and you guys show up with telling me about how you can fight the bear and dance badly with the faeries. That poo poo is cool! QFG1 has a lot more depth to it than I realised and some credit is definitely due there.

If it wasn't for my HDD crashing, I'd load some saves and try to show some of this stuff off. At the very least, it's been fun for me so far finding out about this :)

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
It warmed the cockles of my aussie heart when you typed 'armour' instead of the american way.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Carnafex posted:

It warmed the cockles of my aussie heart when you typed 'armour' instead of the american wrong way.

Fixed that for ya ;)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I used to grind for stamina so I could visit the faeries with 100 and see whether I could dance to their satisfaction and survive, but I think it's just like fighting Brauggi - some things, no human was ever meant to do.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Nidoking posted:

I used to grind for stamina so I could visit the faeries with 100 and see whether I could dance to their satisfaction and survive, but I think it's just like fighting Brauggi - some things, no human was ever meant to do.

Not as a wet-behind the ears adventurer on their first adventure, anyway - all of the goons can paste you without a second thought early on, but later on in the series the Hero is capable of some quite heroic feats indeed. I imagine it's something like how in Zork, you're just instant killed by Grues by walking into darkness up until Beyond Zork, where you can actually become capable enough to fight them and win.

In many ways, the Fighter/Paladin route feels a lot more traditionally "heroic" because you're not sneaking around obstacles or using the right magic spell for the occasion, you're just taking everything on the chin and you keep barreling through headfirst to victory.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Wait mate how can you dislike craft beers? Although I'm pretty sure I'm a hipster oval office so the idea someone doesn't like them is foreign to me. As long as you're not drinking Toohey's or, God help you, VB.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spudd posted:

Wait mate how can you dislike craft beers? Although I'm pretty sure I'm a hipster oval office so the idea someone doesn't like them is foreign to me. As long as you're not drinking Toohey's or, God help you, VB.

I don't exactly dislike them but I don't think they're worth the fuss. I'm not going to drink a craft beer and go: "That tastes bad, I am not enjoying this"

But when I feel like a beer? I feel like a proper beer. I want something that tastes like Boags or Grolsch, I don't want a beer that tastes vaguely fruity and costs twice as much. I want mass-produced swill rather than beer that's been approached like wine. Toohey's is fuckawful, but I like VB. It's the worst of the poo poo beers (other than Tooheys or fuckin' Carlton) but when you've had a poo poo day and you need your alcohol to hurt a little bit? VB is the poo poo.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Last Episode of Hero's Quest 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIl1urtQOzY
Wrapping everything up.

Thanks for being along for the ride so far :)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I remember there being a treasure of some kind in that cave room - "search treasure" or "search pile" was probably what you needed to do. It's also the room where the troll hides if you say the password at the right time, so if you enter that room, you'll still have to fight it. I remember being disappointed when that room wasn't in the remake, at least as far as I could ever tell, because the troll just completely disappeared.

That fence at the brigand hideout is pretty much the best place to grind Climbing skill, if you have any. I think it's the only climb difficult enough to raise your skill to 100. The rock door might be enough to raise the Open spell - what's neat is that if your skill is high enough, you can unlock that door and then open it manually, but if you keep grinding the spell, you can open the door outright. And you don't even need to snap your fingers.

The warlock has a fair bit more to say, if I recall correctly, particularly if you identify him to his face. He'll tell you about the situation so you can prepare properly for your encounter with the brigand leader, and then you can throw something at him to make him disappear so you can solve the puzzles of that room in peace.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Great let's play! I have only played the first game so not sure if the other games will be as interesting to me, but this one took me back. All the places you talked about as frightening to young you was the same to young me.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Zteuer posted:

Great let's play! I have only played the first game so not sure if the other games will be as interesting to me, but this one took me back. All the places you talked about as frightening to young you was the same to young me.

2 and 4 are fantastic, so look forward to those. 3 is... well, you can spend 3 looking forward to 4. 5 I never played, and if the LPs I've watched are anything to go by I didn't miss out much.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
II and IV are absolutely great. (IV would be my favorite Quest For Glory game if it weren't for the drat bugs.)

III and V aren't bad, either (unless you're a Thief in Quest For Glory III.) They just happen to be the games that came after two really good games.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
You know, the game felt a lot longer when you have to do some training and grinding. I probably reached day 23 on my first run of that game.

I'm pretty excited for II, it's easily one of my favourite games, ever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Never played this game before and I think you did a stellar job showing it off, mate.

Will you lose the game if you take too long, out of curiosity?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Will you lose the game if you take too long, out of curiosity?

In the remake, I took the time to get every one of my first character's skills to 100, except for one. I think I didn't figure out how to raise Pick Locks above the standard cap of about 72 (at which point only picking your nose will raise it any higher), and I didn't have Stealth at all. I even boosted every spell to 100. If there's a time limit, you'd have to be trying to hit it, and I'm pretty sure there isn't.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cheers for the feedback all :). Glad you're enjoying it.

For the record, QFG2 gave me some bullshittery with some event flags and due to the inconvenient pacing, it won't quite be as tight as QFG1, but overall it is a way better game.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Any chance Quest for Glory 4 ½ is in the queue?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deathwind posted:

Any chance Quest for Glory 4 ½ is in the queue?

Holy mother of god no.

For the interested? Here's a fairly detailed rundown. Just...no.

http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-quest-for-glory-4-12/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

H13 posted:

Holy mother of god no.

For the interested? Here's a fairly detailed rundown. Just...no.

http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-quest-for-glory-4-12/

gently caress, the Al Lowe of today could make a better game than that.

• Locked thread