Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

alternate.eago posted:

Hopefully I can get all the negative out of they early this month. So I bent a wheel on a pothole in the Jetta, that's still at the tire shop getting fixed, no biggie right? I'll just take the Crown Vic to work. drat thing just shuts off when it warms up. Took me like 45 mins to go 15 miles round trip--I never made it to work, just about 7 miles down the highway. I'm mad enough at it that I'm tempted to just buy a crate motor and slam it in, that'll fix all the issues, right? (other than the trans-that still needs to be replaced) I I buy a new drivetrain for it it's only about 5 grand.... I can't get a car that will be literally brand new mechanically for less than that can I?

Unless it's carbed, it's probably something in the electrical system causing it.

And if it's carbed, it's probably the carb.

Unless it's seizing up so bad it won't turn over with the starter, that doesn't sound like "needs a crate motor" symptoms to me, at least.

Also you should come up here and go junkyarding because I could swear I saw half a dozen panther platform donors at the picknpull on Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Sorry for a little E/N but today was a good day for my sister and brother in law. Another step in the healing process of life. This was my sisters step daughter. http://fox13now.com/2016/02/29/teen-pleads-guilty-in-2012-murder-of-annie-kasprzak/

Not E/N, that's rough poo poo. Glad to see some closure for them though - loss of a child for any reason is horrible, for that...yeah.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

kastein posted:

Unless it's carbed, it's probably something in the electrical system causing it.

And if it's carbed, it's probably the carb.

Unless it's seizing up so bad it won't turn over with the starter, that doesn't sound like "needs a crate motor" symptoms to me, at least.

Also you should come up here and go junkyarding because I could swear I saw half a dozen panther platform donors at the picknpull on Saturday.

It's an OLD panther platform. 89 LTD with the lo 5.0. It only seems to do it when it warms up, so yeah its probably sensor based. But it was smoking pretty bad at the end of the 15 mile trip the morning.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

alternate.eago posted:

It's an OLD panther platform. 89 LTD with the lo 5.0. It only seems to do it when it warms up, so yeah its probably sensor based. But it was smoking pretty bad at the end of the 15 mile trip the morning.

Sounds like a good time to start putting together a 5.0 HO swap out of a Fox.

Or it might be a sensor...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

How the hell did my new employer get my other email address when I only have records showing communication with my professional account? -_-

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How the hell did my new employer get my other email address when I only have records showing communication with my professional account? -_-

Background check probably.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Are you using two Gmail accounts tied together? I found out in a similar situation that Gmail will send emails "From X on behalf of Y" if you don't actually go to the inbox for account Y.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Makes sense. Emailed HR and had them change it. That one I basically just use to sign up for websites and crap like that s I was a bit confused.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wrar posted:

Gonna be there this weekend OK. Send me details.

The car isn't even on the ground, no idea what's going on since we're waiting on a header that's supposed to be here tomorrow. :ohdear:

Sigma X posted:

Last fall I quit SCCA and moved to NASA since NASA Mid-Atlantic actually does trackdays at VIR whereas SCCA has absolutely no HPDE presence here. I went to the season-closing event at Summit; I think the next NASA event at VIR is May? What events are you talking about?

FakeEdit: I don't really do autocross anymore. I'm too lazy to shag cones in the sun and heat for 8 minutes of seat time.

I wasn't there this past weekend, but Tarheel ran Grand + Full. Next DE is the middle of June at CMP.

Also, autocross at Cary Towne Center on March 19.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
awww yeah, got my notice today for my 5% annual raise :getin:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Tell you what...

After not taking all that good of care of myself the last 15 years, getting back into an exercise routine and proper eating habits is hard. I swear my body lacks an off switch to say 'Hey jackass, I'm full, stop eating'. I wonder sometimes if I have some sort of binge eating disorder :iiam:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tide posted:

Tell you what...

After not taking all that good of care of myself the last 15 years, getting back into an exercise routine and proper eating habits is hard. I swear my body lacks an off switch to say 'Hey jackass, I'm full, stop eating'. I wonder sometimes if I have some sort of binge eating disorder :iiam:

Tell me about it. I started doing the workout thing in October, at age 50, and it's *hard* to get motivated to go some days, and it's definitely hard not going out and eating all the yummy stuff I want to eat each and every day.

It is absolutely making good changes to my body though, and in general I feel a lot better (well, except for the various aches from doing exercise that I'm not really used to), so the end result is something I believe is worth the effort, or I sure hope so anyway.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tide posted:

Tell you what...

How long have you been trying for? After a week or two things should get easier. Exercising/working out/cardio is basically never fun, but its worth the good feeling you get when you weigh yourself each week and see the weight dropping off.

I started feb 1st. I'm down 14 pounds or so thus far but I'm going gung ho about it. Gym 6 days a week, cut out beer (vodka/bourbon + diet soda mixers are ok in moderation), lots of protein and trying for low sugar/fat. Oh and eggs. Eggs everyday.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Your stomach stretches to accommodate food which is how morbidly obese people can smash down 10,000 calories a day. They're not hungry as such, it's just their stomach is so stretched and overworked it feels like they're starving and are about to die. A bit of hunger never hurt anyone.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tide posted:

Tell you what...

Take it slowly. Change one thing out at a time so it doesn't feel like you're changing everything. It gets easier over time.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Basically just started.

The exercise part isn't that tough. I enjoy it. I mean, as much as I can for lugging around a 5'10", 225 lb fat rear end. Though to be fair, I hide it well. Imagine someone about 6'3", broad shouldered, and you simply squashed them down 6". That's my build. Big hands and hobbit feet without the hair. I'm not a runner/sprinter, I'm a power guy with some quickness.

What is getting me is the restraint I have to have not to eat everything I see. I have a HUGE appetite, and for no real reason. Like, I have no problems eating healthy foods, it's the quantities. Veggies? LOVE THEM. Fruits? LOVE THEM. Lean meats like fish and chicken? LOVE IT. Not a big bread, potato, rice or pasta eater. Coffee black and unsweetened tea. Don't like sodas.

My problem is "simply" how much. Put me on some sort of eating contest, and it won't be one. I can put some food down.

I do have a pretty vicious sweet tooth thou. Love me some snickers or twix bars.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How much water are you drinking? It's easy to confuse hunger pains for thirst.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A fair amount. At least 64 ounces per day. I fill up my 17 ounce water bottle twice before lunch, and usually twice after. And have water with lunch and dinner. So between the two or three cups of coffee in the AM and a couple cups of coffee in the afternoon, plus the water, I pee pretty much all the drat time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I hear you about the working out thing. I did a leg workout on Saturday and I'm still walking funny. Trying to get back in the swing of things though and drop some lbs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mariooncrack posted:

How much water are you drinking? It's easy to confuse hunger pains for thirst.

Came here to say this. A lot of modern society has the two confused and just keeps on eating.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

some texas redneck posted:

UNT is about $7400 for in-state, assuming you don't factor in living expenses. Pretty affordable. Only about an hour away from UT Arlington too.

Between my income and GPA, I actually qualified for a full ride at UNT (tuition only). But since there's a federal cap on how many hours you can attempt in your life and still qualify for aid (even if you didn't get financial aid before :argh:), I can't get the grants anymore. :sigh: Wasn't a scholarship, it was two grants (Pell, which a lot of people can get, and one specific to UNT).

I had that same hours problem and my advisor said she writes exception requests for that issue all the time and it's never a problem. I'd see if that can help you.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Workouts chat, got back just in time :haw:

If you excuse the Art of Manliness thing, Mark Rippetoe's videos for barbell training are pretty fantastic.. Must have watched the squatting video like 4 times and read the whole damned chapter in Starting Strength and still can't get it right. I just started up again (on week two now) but my joints need to get with the program. Also deadlifts as a tall guy can be extremely uncomfortable, but I've already been chided by my lifter buddies to stop my bitchin get to liftin.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's hit AI recently, then? I've also been putting myself back onto a high protein/low carb deal and lifting again too.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I hate the idea of working out beforehand, and love it afterwards.

In the same vein sitting down and doing anything for me is like this. I've built a discipline around the idea that two hours from now I can either have X done or not, and sure enough once two hours comes around I've done it and I'm jonesing off endorphins.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

AI obviously realises that lifting a weight and getting noticeably stronger is a good thing. When you start noticing changes in the mirror it just makes you want more.

Plus looking fantastic in my kitty speedos at the pool is a decent aim.

Scuz, what you struggling with? I note a lot of people seem to have flexibility issues meaning they have a problem hitting depth comfortably, hip and ankle usually.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrChips posted:

Because Australia. I mean, we let them have it because they are missing so very much that makes for a normal, civilised society. They don't even have graham crackers there, for christ's sake!

No graham crackers? The humanity! (Not that I've had a graham cracker in, like, a year, but I like to have the option.)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking only for my home state, WSU is $11k/year and CWU is $9k/year. Both are fine schools in towns with cheap rent. According to http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=4000&year=1988, $4k/year in 1988 (two semesters a year, right? We had quarters at my school) is about $8200 today so I don't think things are quite so dark.

(Google says UT Arlington is about $9380/year in tuition and fees.)

Yeah, it's gone up a bit, on top of inflation

Elmnt80 posted:

Lol, UT Arlington is considered a joke by the people that live near there. If you want a texas school, Baylor, UT Austin, A&M and UNT are all considered to be much better schools for the tuition it would cost.

And the titanic may have stopped going down, but your mom never will. (I'm full of terrible unfunny jokes today)

UTA was a good engineering school when I was going, and I live nearby. My dad also graduated from UTA - mechanical engineering, 1974.
No idea how they stand now. apparently LOL.

The Locator posted:

The Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles - is it as awesome as it looks? Considering driving over next weekend for something else (a scale model show) that's being held there, but wouldn't go only for the model show, so if the museum itself is worth a trip, would probably help to tip the decision in favor of going and dealing with L.A.

I wish I knew. Damned place was closed for remodeling when I was there for work.

some texas redneck posted:

UNT is about $7400 for in-state, assuming you don't factor in living expenses. Pretty affordable. Only about an hour away from UT Arlington too.

Between my income and GPA, I actually qualified for a full ride at UNT (tuition only). But since there's a federal cap on how many hours you can attempt in your life and still qualify for aid (even if you didn't get financial aid before :argh:), I can't get the grants anymore. :sigh: Wasn't a scholarship, it was two grants (Pell, which a lot of people can get, and one specific to UNT).

e: my GPA isn't anything special either, I think the UNT grant was available to anyone with lower income who was passing.

UNT is really only an option if I'm working nearby, or not working. Too much commuting, since I live in Euless.

quote:

:what:

Baylor is just a bit more expensive than any of the others. Remember Baylor is a private school, not state.

Dang. I love the stuff like "General Student Fee". might as well call it "Because gently caress you fee".
My wife is going to Texas Weslyan right now. I prefer to not know how much she's spending. At least it's only two years - she got her associate's at the Dallas County Community College.

alternate.eago posted:

Hopefully I can get all the negative out of they early this month. So I bent a wheel on a pothole in the Jetta, that's still at the tire shop getting fixed, no biggie right? I'll just take the Crown Vic to work. drat thing just shuts off when it warms up. Took me like 45 mins to go 15 miles round trip--I never made it to work, just about 7 miles down the highway. I'm mad enough at it that I'm tempted to just buy a crate motor and slam it in, that'll fix all the issues, right? (other than the trans-that still needs to be replaced) I I buy a new drivetrain for it it's only about 5 grand.... I can't get a car that will be literally brand new mechanically for less than that can I?

Why would a crate engine fix what is almost certainly not a problem with the engine? "Shutting off" is going to be either fuel or ignition, very unlikely that it will be mechanical.
That aside, $5K would get you another Crown Vic, possibly with less mileage. Maybe buy an extended warranty?

e: what kastein said, and $5K should get you a modular Panther easy. I like my '05 cop car.
regarding exercise, I, too need to get off my fat rear end and at least take the dog for walks. Backed off on eating a bit at least, and was rewarded with a drop from 295 to 285 (6'1", so I don't look huge, but definitely overweight.) I feel so dang weak when I do yard work and stuff - need to build up endurance again.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 1, 2016

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Adiabatic posted:

I hate the idea of working out beforehand, and love it afterwards.

I hate people who get endorphin rushes from running because I never have. The very best sort reaction I've ever got was after a hard run or ruck march when my body briefly considers shutting down permanently as I slump on the ground.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sandbagger SA posted:

I hate people who get endorphin rushes from running because I never have. The very best sort reaction I've ever got was after a hard run or ruck march when my body briefly considers shutting down permanently as I slump on the ground.

No poo poo. I keep hearing about that, but never experienced it. That would make it so much better/more enticing. I do like the happy tired you get after a good workout, but it's never like the supposed endorphin rush.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, it's gone up a bit, on top of inflation

A grand total of... $1180/year, that's almost $600 per semester! I'm pretty sure we've got AIers who drink that much in a year, on minimum wage or unemployed, so I wouldn't consider it completely crushing that your bachelor's degree costs an extra $5000 when all's said and done.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I've built a discipline around the idea that two hours from now I can either have X done or not,

gently caress me, you should write a self-help book or something. That's genius.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

AI obviously realises that lifting a weight and getting noticeably stronger is a good thing. When you start noticing changes in the mirror it just makes you want more.

Plus looking fantastic in my kitty speedos at the pool is a decent aim.

Scuz, what you struggling with? I note a lot of people seem to have flexibility issues meaning they have a problem hitting depth comfortably, hip and ankle usually.
For me it's my hip, but just the right hip. It feels as if there's a tendon that's out of place or needs to be popped back in or something. I've never been flexible, though.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

gently caress me, you should write a self-help book or something. That's genius.
Agreedo. Every project on my "board" seems so daunting but if I just thought of it that way, 90% of them would be done by now.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

The car isn't even on the ground, no idea what's going on since we're waiting on a header that's supposed to be here tomorrow. :ohdear:

I wasn't there this past weekend, but Tarheel ran Grand + Full. Next DE is the middle of June at CMP.

Also, autocross at Cary Towne Center on March 19.
Probably can make that.

Survived a round of layoffs, which will make life a lot easier since I'm closing on a house Friday.

Got about 4 hours of sleep last night and it's catching up with me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Wow is it a massive pain in the rear end to get insurance on a Japanese import. I know I'm fighting nothing but bureaucracy (i.e. you say the name of a vehicle that isn't in their database and they get paralyzed with confusion) but man. I'm 32 years old, 100% spotless driving record, my wife is the same and we have no kids, and outright own our vehicles. I just want to give an insurance company money so I can drive this stupid car legally :negative:
Capitalism is failing me here.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

scuz posted:

Agreedo. Every project on my "board" seems so daunting but if I just thought of it that way, 90% of them would be done by now.

poo poo works, yo. Any timeframe, too. I was a 22-year-old college dropout that decided I could be 26 with or without an engineering degree, and bobs your uncle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

What's hit AI recently, then? I've also been putting myself back onto a high protein/low carb deal and lifting again too.

They worked out no one is getting any younger but if you lift a weight / eat right / exercise getting older doesn't mean being a physical disaster?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

scuz posted:

For me it's my hip, but just the right hip. It feels as if there's a tendon that's out of place or needs to be popped back in or something. I've never been flexible, though.

Definitely worth seeing a physio, my right hip used to feel like it was permanently dislocated and ground when I moved it at extremes. Saw a physio and it's been a whole lot better since. Also highly recommend a sports massage...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sandbagger SA posted:

Darchangel posted:

No poo poo. I keep hearing about that, but never experienced it. That would make it so much better/more enticing. I do like the happy tired you get after a good workout, but it's never like the supposed endorphin rush.

I've gotten it a few times, but it's not enough for me to actually loving enjoy running. I hate running and refuse to do it. I lift weights instead, and it's SO much easier to break from the mindset of "oh gently caress this is heavy waahhhh" to "gently caress YOU WEIGHT YOU'RE MOVING" than the corresponding running variant. That moment, and anything after, is when I get the rush, and I'm loving beaming ear to ear taking on the world for hours afterwards.

Ninja edit: ugh now I want to go lift weights god damnit

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Wrar posted:

Probably can make that.

Survived a round of layoffs, which will make life a lot easier since I'm closing on a house Friday.

Got about 4 hours of sleep last night and it's catching up with me.

...do you work at Netapp? Because apparently yesterday or today was their "annual layoffs".

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Definitely worth seeing a physio, my right hip used to feel like it was permanently dislocated and ground when I moved it at extremes. Saw a physio and it's been a whole lot better since. Also highly recommend a sports massage...
My right shoulder's the same way. During bench and overhead presses it gets to a point and politely tells the rest of my arm that it can either stop there or be in great pain.

Adiabatic posted:

I've gotten it a few times, but it's not enough for me to actually loving enjoy running. I hate running and refuse to do it. I lift weights instead, and it's SO much easier to break from the mindset of "oh gently caress this is heavy waahhhh" to "gently caress YOU WEIGHT YOU'RE MOVING" than the corresponding running variant. That moment, and anything after, is when I get the rush, and I'm loving beaming ear to ear taking on the world for hours afterwards.

Ninja edit: ugh now I want to go lift weights god damnit
You gotta run for so long to get that runner's high nonsense, the way I understand it. gently caress that, I'm gonna move some iron around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Ow. I appear to have hosed my back up this weekend building bunk beds for my nephew's cub scout camp.

Lots of fun, and massively overengineered, but I think I may have to admit to getting old now.

• Locked thread