Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Liver
May 4, 2009

Oh yeah!

Oh poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I really like how modders gave all their Civs unique battle quotes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

: For some reason, Health & Plagues makes additional resources such as cattle, fish etc a strategic resource, as there's nothing mod makers love more than superglue-ing random unrelated bullshit to otherwise cool mods. I have no idea how it works (no buildings or units need any of them to my knowledge) so I have no idea how to value them and basically just ignore it, but I can't possibly imagine this is a fair deal.

It's because they're worth Health, if I remember right.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Bloodly posted:

It's because they're worth Health, if I remember right.

Almost certainly correct -- the Health + Plague mod seems to lift ideas from Civilization 4, in which cities had a health rating and an unhealthiness rating. If the unhealthiness exceeded the health it would eat into your food income, effectively making citizens above the health cap eat 3 food per instead of 2. A bunch of resources, mostly food related, raised the health of your cities.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Ahh, alright. I searched through the game and google a ton trying to figure out what it did but I couldn't find anything (and I've never played Civ 4) so I just figured it was just a random thing because as said mods like doing that. I should probably edit that to make it less mean in that case! :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Functionally, on normal speed, each luxury resource is worth 240 gold to the AI, meaning you can ask for 7gpt + 30 gold and assuming a good relationship, they'll take.

Strategic resources are worth about 45 gold per ONE strategic resource (ie, one iron / horse etc)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, the shout-outs have convinced me that sometime next week I need to get around to doing that Endless Legend LP I've been talking about for a while. Should be fun. EL takes just enough notes from Civ to let you realize what's the same, but has more than enough of its own identity to have its own style.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
We're running the Broken Lords, right Speedball? I've always thought their backstory was amazing.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Speedball posted:

I really like how modders gave all their Civs unique battle quotes.

That's not often true. And often things like diplomacy responses(Things like 'Hey, we'd like to set up an embassy') are also left unchanged.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
It's probably for the best the MSF are an early target. With an AI controlling them they probably won't be much interesting later in the game. It's like giving the AI a more complicated Venice.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Monicro posted:

That Spearmen in Boneyard scouts east through the jungle to find any NCR stragglers, and discovers...

A second mythical wonder, somehow! (Mythical natural wonders are way, way rarer than the real ones) Obviously Tandi's long since discovered it though, so our actual use for it is limited. I love that we're gotten probably the most absurd natural wonder luck I've ever gotten in this game and no actual way to capitalize on most of it (I know, I know, Mt. Kailash was by choice but shhh), it's extremely good, and cool.
I am sorely tempted to ask you to eventually replay this map on Deity as Spain. It's Deity, but good God all the wonders you'll have.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

fade5 posted:

I am sorely tempted to ask you to eventually replay this map on Deity as Spain. It's Deity, but good God all the wonders you'll have.

I'd love to see that. I've never gotten to see a LPer use that particular tactic.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

That does sound fun and I would consider doing it as a bonus type thing, but I don't think there's a way for me to make a copy of the map :(

Anyone willing to correct me or direct me to a mod or whatever would be greatly appreciated!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I could swear there's a save map option somewhere, though I don't have an install handy to check.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

AlphaKretin posted:

I could swear there's a save map option somewhere, though I don't have an install handy to check.

On the Save Screen, the second button at the bottom says "save map" although I've never tried it.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

ellspurs posted:

On the Save Screen, the second button at the bottom says "save map" although I've never tried it.

Huh I never noticed that before, thanks! I've never played Deity before so I make no promises as to how I'll do, but I'll give it a shot :v:

As an aside, something neat I discovered when fiddling around with that a minute ago: The game seems to have set "spawn locations" when making a map, I was at first worried about how I would get it to spawn me where we did in this game but I restarted a bunch and I spawned in not only our starting location but also Vietnam, Sioux, and Mother Base's a couple times each. (as well as one that I don't think anyone got in our game but is like 5 tiles from Lake Victoria because this map rules)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Monicro posted:

Huh I never noticed that before, thanks! I've never played Deity before so I make no promises as to how I'll do, but I'll give it a shot :v:

As an aside, something neat I discovered when fiddling around with that a minute ago: The game seems to have set "spawn locations" when making a map, I was at first worried about how I would get it to spawn me where we did in this game but I restarted a bunch and I spawned in not only our starting location but also Vietnam, Sioux, and Mother Base's a couple times each. (as well as one that I don't think anyone got in our game but is like 5 tiles from Lake Victoria because this map rules)

Oh god, imagine playing Spain with Lake Victoria within range of your capital :eyepop:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

sheep-dodger posted:

Oh god, imagine playing Spain with Lake Victoria within range of your capital :eyepop:

I think most map scripts are hardcoded to NOT spawn a wonder within range of a starting plot, or maybe just a major civilization starting position (I've seen plenty wonders wasted on city states after all).

Having said that: fountain of youth, el dorado & lake Victoria in the same map :stonklol:
You're just missing an usable Krakatoa* and you might as well try for a lottery.
*I assume you have the fix, but let me have this joke.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Played a multiplayer game once, one of my enemies was spain, had fountain of youth and lake victoria towns about ....... 9 tiles? away from his capital in cardinal east and southeast respectively

game got abandoned, I was winning a 3v1 fight against him, egypt and someone else

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
>_> So if you do a Spain run, could you just amuse us and totally break it by resetting until you wind up starting in a spot with Lake Victoria or some other awesome Wonder within reach of your capital?

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Unless I am mistaken, Spain naturally biases towards a Coastline within spitting distance of at least one Wonder, so saving the map and exploiting your knowledge of its contents should be more than enough advantage for a higher-difficulty game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And if you take the Pantheon that gives Natural wonders a boost to Faith generation, Spain doubles that too. You can be a faith MONSTER as Spain.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Spain also doubles the Culture from the World Congress resolution that gives that to Natural Wonders. If Spain finds the Great Barrier Reef early the game is over, they've already won.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

And if you take the Pantheon that gives Natural wonders a boost to Faith generation, Spain doubles that too. You can be a faith MONSTER as Spain.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

The best part is that's not even some crazy stars-aligning-type combo of buffs, it's literally just Mt. Sinai with Spain + One With Nature (the pantheon Speedball mentioned). Spain is super situational but when they work, hoo boy

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Monicro posted:

The best part is that's not even some crazy stars-aligning-type combo of buffs, it's literally just Mt. Sinai with Spain + One With Nature (the pantheon Speedball mentioned). Spain is super situational but when they work, hoo boy

I've had a Spanish game where I grabbed Krakatoa with my second city. Why yes, I would like the equivalent of an academy before even Nebby can get one up. Lake Victoria is another fun one for Spain to get.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Part 5 - Wall of Sand

Welcome back! Last time:

We conquered our first opponent, and were just taking our shoes off when this happened. Let's do it!

So, remember that huge army Snake had but never actually did anything with?

Here it is.

Okay, here's the bad news: I'm not sure how, but I was so fixated on the idea of him attacking the Sioux that this has basically completely caught me with my pants down. I moved a lot of our units back toward the heartland to take care of barbarians, and generally haven't had nearly enough time to reload after the NCR war. At this moment, he has a huge advantage and still has that production lead to back it up.

Luckily, here's the good news: We have our roads up and running, and as you can see the area above and around Shady Sands/Dayglow from his direction is a reasonably dense jungle, and we have 2 generals thanks to Honor so we can use one for a citadel to make it even better defensively. What all this means is that this is effectively a sucker punch attack by him; He has a distressingly good chance of capturing Shady Sands which would be a major foothold for him, but if the scraps of our army can hold the line for a handful of turns for the cavalry to arrive/his first wave to thin out, it will be very hard for him to recover from.

We had 2 wonders being built at the time of the attack, and thankfuly Wukong's finishes up quickly. I have no idea how I got this wonder with at least 1 Tradition civ in the game, but hey.

Needless to say we annex Shady Sands quickly, and this is a bit of a trade-off: It sends us into unhappiness which is gonna nerf our units' strength a bit, but I'll happily take that trade for the ability to purchase units and direct the city's fire (the time it would take to make units isn't quite as dire as it looks when we take it off Gold Focus, but still pretty irrelevant).

YES PLEASE

GET EM, DUCHESS

One of our Swordsmen is cutting a swath through his ranged units, and confirms a very good thing to know: they indeed don't have a lot beyond this first wave (which is currently surrounding Shady Sands as of this screenshot). If Shady Sands can hold out just a handful of turns, we can turn this around quickly.

Uhh sure whatever, thanks for the cash go nuts

Xianyang locks down it's powerhouse status with this wonder, and all our cities are now free to start pumping out units.

Snake brought 2 catapults, and while they're flimsy enough for a Rui Shi and the city to one-shot each of them they take a good chunk out of it in the turn before. They're running thin on ranged units, but the city is on it's last legs.

Luckily, one of the Qin Nus we sent back was nearby and has arrived to ambush 2 melee units on our side of the city. If he hadn't gotten there in time we probably would've lost it this turn.

(Very very brief aside, it seems to let me do worker things with Rui Shi even during this Decidedly Not Peacetime. I assume this is a bug considering the workshop page specifically says During Peace, so I'll resist the urge to exploit it)

Shady Sands is still hanging on by a thread, but as you can see our control of the situation positonally is rising. They have a couple more units with a Great General in tow up near Dayglow as you can kinda see, but the Citadel is helping whittle them down.

Back home, our first Pikeman comes off the assembly lines! He's stronger than anything Snake is using & is precisely the momentum shift we need, and he quickly rushes North.

We'll have to work a bit on our literacy soon, but now's not the time for that!

Just having less we need to shoot at is also helping change the momentum; more of our units were able to shoot at the ones up near Dayglow, and as a result we not only wipe them out but also kill the Great General!

Translation: we did it! We probably shouldn't have, but we actually did it! I'm sure he has a fair share more units, but we tell him to gently caress off. The Qin Nu Train is once again rolling.

As our units pick off the straggling MSF soldiers and get ready to push, our homeland defense units finally take care of that barbarian camp from last update. The missionary is dusted off and is revealed to be carrying Protestant holy books, which contain...

Oh man, Pagodas AND happiness from shrines? Pagodas actually get nerfed slightly from NQ, but we'll still be spreading this to as many of our cities as we can.

This is a very good longterm Decision. I think we can deal with the cost, we're no longer at a point in the war where we're panic-buying units.

We also finish Chivalry which means we can upgrade our Rui Shi to Knights (another large offensive advantage against Snake), and we dive right into another upgrade-giving tech.

One of our Rui Shi scouts ahead, and discovers that the situation is even better for us than we thought it was: it was nearly his entire army that he just threw at us. He encountered no resistance on the way over either, our units can just walk right up.

This is a pretty incredible wonder for domination victories, and we start building it immediately. Our wonder-luck is bound to run out at some point, but hopefully not yet.

Aaand there goes the final religion. Oh well, if I really wanted one I would've settled Mt. Kailash, as we've discussed.

Oh hey, I set most of our workers to auto-improve and they set up another road, neat!

Well well, what's this? Our units are still moving into position, and their Pikeman bodyguard catches a flanking squad red-handed. He makes short work of them.

The firing squad is nearly aligned (Apologies for the off-center screencap, not sure what I was doing there), and yet another Great General spawns to replace the Citadel'd one. Hopefully this will be over before he even arrives.

Oh dear, the first outbreak that we can actually see appears in Targoviste, and we're gonna need to keep an eye on that. Apparently building forests of dead bodies impaled on spikes is unsanitary, who knew?

At last, the Qin Nu are in place. They begin firing.

Yep, with almost all of his units destroyed and the doors being knocked down he's officially in begging for his life mode, and with his one-city gimmick he can't even muster a very good deal for his life. I mean, in fairness, those are 2 luxuires I don't have, plus all of his money! Hmmm...

Nah.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 25, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh boy you killed Big Boss.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That means he's now Dà Boss

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Any chance you could upload this map somewhere? I'd like to give uberspain a try.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

biosterous posted:

Any chance you could upload this map somewhere? I'd like to give uberspain a try.

I want the same thing but it should probably wait until after at least this game is finished for the sake of keeping things a surprise.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah sure, like AlphaKretin said I'll upload it after the game :)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Awesome, thanks.

Glowing Red Sign
Oct 26, 2008

And assumed his Sioux-bullying powers.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

No victory, no defeat.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

John Liver posted:

No victory, no defeat.

Well...

Part 5.5 - Interlude

Aight, later Snake. What an rear end in a top hat. Anyway, alright let's see what this city's got and rest our guys and stuff and...

Wait, why are his units still around here? Am I remembering wrong or don't they go away when you kill them? Come to think of it why didn't I get the "You killed me" screen with him, he can't possibly have any other cities? They're still attacking me even!

Let's see if he's still on the scoreboard...?

Wait, what

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAH.

That's right. Vice Virtuoso added a feature to Snake's empire since I made my LP and MGSV came out. If they lose their capital, Naked Snake becomes Venom Snake and MSF becomes Diamond Dogs, with the scattered troops continuing to fight on in his name. The empire ability changes too.

(Vice is some kind of programming wizard to make that all work within Civ V's confines, but he did it!)

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAH.

That's right. Vice Virtuoso added a feature to Snake's empire since I made my LP and MGSV came out. If they lose their capital, Naked Snake becomes Venom Snake and MSF becomes Diamond Dogs, with the scattered troops continuing to fight on in his name. The empire ability changes too.

My favorite part is I had absolutely no idea that would happen either. That's the reason I had to describe everything there: I was so confused that I forgot to take any screencaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
Well crap. Thats not good.

• Locked thread