Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Did we learn if Overson had a butler?

Cause overwise Im going to support the Invisible Deathclaw theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Winning Option posted:

"Fear not the murderer, fair lady. Jane, yes? That's your name? Dr. Ryder and I shall bring him to justice."

"I'm not afraid of him. I'm afraid of you. You broke through my goddamn window."

"I'm afraid that couldn't be helped, my lady. You locked your door."

"There are...a lot of things wrong with what you just said."

"No, I believe that's not possible. I'm certain you locked your door."

"That's not what-look. Screw this. I'm not talking to you."

Without another word, she stood up and left her house.

"I don't think you understand...fair lady, I'm being quite kind to you by offering up polite conversation. You understand that my partner will not afford you the same luxury, don't you?"

"Your...partner?"

"My partner can be quite...persuasive."

"I...I am not going to change my mind just because a plastic flamingo..."

"With frightening eyes..."

"That can tear apart my soul..."

: "..."

"ALL loving RIGHT I GIVE UP!"

"I'll talk, alright? Just get him off my face."

"Get me something to drink and Mr. Ryder might walk away."

"I don't have anything alcoholic. Will lemodades do?"

"Absolutely, although I'm surprised you have any considering how isolated you are."

"It's...one of the ways we rebelled against Overson. We made small luxuries for ourselves and made sure he absolutely wasn't allowed to get it."

"Oswald jury-rigged an old Mr. Gutsy to make lemonade...Jack goes outside, you know being our trader and all, and gets the ingredients plus the occasional pre-war book for us to read...Warden writes his own stories for us. Good way to pass time. Lara is an amazing singer...Ed is...um...he is convinced he can train mole rats to do tricks. He just makes a mess but it's usually pretty entertaining. Jenkins um...she just looks creepy and we pretend it's funny. We have so much fun..."

"This settlement is hard on your nerves, you know? You go crazy here. You just...you lose it. So every at sunset we get together and try to entertain each other with everything I just mentioned. And Overson isn't invited."

"This meeting happened in the day of the murder too?"

"Yeah, of course."

So there was no one missing from the settlement that night. Interesting.

[Daily Festivities Added to Evidence!]

"I've been meaning to ask but...what is everyone's job here?"

Frankly, I'm only interested in Ed Balor's...but I don't want to cast more suspicion on the poor bastard.

"It goes like this...

Oswald Patterson- Takes care of Water Supply. He's allowed into Overson's settlement for this, once a day, under strict supervision from Overson.
Lara Patterson - Turret Maintenance(Only outside walls, not Overson's personal turret).
Jack Mendonza - Trader. Doesn't have a slave collar.
Jane Torres - I take care of the food. I'm alolwed once a day inside Overson's part of the settlement under his supervision.
Ed Balor - Self proclaimed Mole Rat Trainer. I'm actually not entirely sure why Overson let him live here. I'm half convinced he let him in to try to make us miserable as revenge for leaving him out of things.
Warden Hawkins - Takes care of generator maintenance, same supervision rules as the other two. Also responsible for trying to get rid of Balor's stupid mole rats.
Lady Jenkins - She has no job as far as I know. If you ask me, I heard she knows some dirt on Overson so he let her live here for free...she does still have a slave collar, though. Weird woman.

"...Jenkins has no job? That's interesting."

I'm trying very hard not to think about Balor's job.

This young man sounds quite insane, don't you think so Dr. Ryder?

"..."

[Settler's jobs added to evidence!]

"Very well...what eles should I do?"

[Options]

ATTENTION:

ONE MORE INVESTIGATION BEFORE COURTROOM TIME!

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I kinda had that update ready to go since yesterday but I was waiting to hit the third page to avoid having way too many images on one page haha.

Alright guys, one more investigation and it's time to kick this silly poo poo into murder mystery overdrive.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
At this point, I feel like we need to speak to one of Oswald or Jack. Personally, Oswald hired us, Oswald could very well be our killer, let's finish with what we were first offered.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Go and look at the statue again. There's something fishy about the statue

I bet everyone did it. Probably with the statue.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

I want to talk to Ed, but he's already known as not the culprit. We need Oswald's alibi.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mendonza please? Pretty please goons?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Break into someone elses house and interrogate them.

...Okay, don't actually do that. Not sure if Oswald or Mendoza is the right choice.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Outrail posted:

I'm still obsessing over the statue. It must mean something. Why was it moved?

You're not the only one. This means something!

Anyways, beyond statue-investigating, I think we should:

Not because we need to establish his alibi but because we need to learn more about these mole rats.

Which are tunneling animals.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Not because we need to establish his alibi but because we need to learn more about these mole rats.

Good point. Seconded.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

They tunneled up under the statue!

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

I didn't think of that. Changing my vote to this.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Case closed - I think we're found our culprits.

I like that train of thought though. It's probably what will make him the primary suspect in this case, considering they were all together at the time of the murder.

KamikazePotato fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 17, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Another vote for this.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Winning Option posted:

"Yo Detective dude."

Gonna be hard to convince the judge that he's innocent.

I don't even know a thing about him and I kind of want to arrest this douche already.

"My broski, you gotta believe me dude. Share some love with me here and take my word for it, I didn't loving do it dudebro!"

"Do not fret, kind sir. I believe you."

"Oh really? Thank God...like I mean just because I ate a little of the corpse, everyone thinks I did it!"

"...I beg your pardon?"

"Look here man, I couldn't help it aight? It tasted siiiiiiiiiick! And it's not like anybody else was gonna eat the damned thing, everyone else was saying it was gross, yeah?"

"You ate the corpse."

I believe I meant that to come out as a question but instead let it out as a statement. As it turns out I needed all of my little grey cells working together in ordr to keep myself from frowning angrily.

"Well, what else do you like...do with a corpse?"

"I'm not particularly close minded, good man, but I am firmly opposed to disturbing evidence."

"Make a barbecue out of Overson if you wish, but wait until the case is done for heaven's sake!"

"Oh no, dude, I didn't eat Overson!"

"...Although that would have been pretty rad. Like, whoa, circle of life man."

"I'm talking about the dead brahmin I found."

"...Okay. That's marginally better."

"Where on earth did you even find a dead brahmin?"

"Um...it wasn't I who found it...I think it was a brahmin anyhow. Drained of blood and everything, chopped up into pieecs....pretty neat. Sure tasted like one. My molerats found it buried a bit ago..."

"And like, if my molerats found it, it's mine right? That's how it goes bro."

"I'm gonna be honest with you. There are so many things wrong with you I kind of want to shoot you just on the offchance you become a deranged serial killer in the future."

"My sense of sportsmanship prevents me from doing so, however. I dare not disrupt this case. I will prove your innocence in this matter and see to it that something happens to you later."

"What kinda somethin'?"

"Something abysmal."

"Aw man, you don't have to do anything nice for me, I mean I appreciate it but I'm not doing anything you couldn't expect from us mole rat trainers, yeah? I'm just average among us."

"I'm pretty sure there's literally one of you."

"Which makes me the average yeah?"

"That-"

"I-"

"Look you stupid bastard can you just get your bloody molerats over here? I need to see them."

"Sure thing bro."

"I got them all well trained. Impressed? You should be."

"You should always listen to the dude with the strongest animals dude. Rules of nature yeah?"

"...Then listen to me and Dr. Ryder"

"Mine is bigger than yours."

"Hey dude, no disrespect or anythin' but my crew of molerats is kind of more lethal than a plastic flamingo ya?"

I meant to ignore this blatant disrespect to Dr. Ryder when I noticed one of the molerats try to ruin my 500 cap shoes. I don't suppose one could blame me from unleashing Dr. Ryder at that point.

"CHRISTINE THE THIRD NOOOOOOO WHY DO THEY ALWAYS WANT TO KILL YOU GUYS!"

"NOOOOOOO! JUST WHEN THE POISON HAD STOPPED WORKING AND I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE SAFE! NO!"

"Rules of nature, good sir."

"Dr. Ryder is equipped with laser pistols inside of his eyes in case of...resistance."

"Chri...Christine..."

"You mentioned something about listening to the strongest tamer...but I won't expect that from you, because Dr. Ryder is far from tamed. He's my partner, not my pet."

"...I...I will answer whatever you want rad dude."

I still don't know if he's saying 'rad' as in radical or as in radioactive.

"So everyone hates your molerats?"

"E...except Oswald...everyone else kind of tries to stay away from them..."

"Tell me, could your molerats have dug under the fences to get to Overson's side?"

"...I don't like, super know. Maybe?"

"Could they or could they not?"

"O...OF COURSE THEY COULD! MY SUPER MOLERATS CAN DO ANYTHING I TELL THEM TO! YEAH!"

"Look! Molerats, assemble!"

I stared blankly at the molerats who refused to move.

"Dance!"

For a moment I wondered if the one Dr. Ryder killed had twitched, but I think it was just its intestines falling apart.

"Can you...really control them?"

"They...they can do anything I tell them to! You and those other idiots will see one day!"

"THEY ARE PERFECTLY TRAINED AND ONLY LISTEN TO ME!"

If he repeats that in court...

"...Alright. I give up."

"Huh?"

"Last question...do you have an alibi for the night of the murder?"

"Nah broski. Was asleep and woke up after the whole murder shenanigans happened. Was the last one to arrive at the scene of the crime."

Without another word, I turned around. While the man conceivably had more to say, I didn't have it in me to listen to him ramble for a single more second without an extended break.

This case was strange...but I was determined to get to the bottom of this one way or another.

And I knew deep in my heart that there was only one place this could end...

------

TIME TO KICK THIS SILLY poo poo INTO OVERDRIVE.

We are going to start the trial phase next update!
Next update might take a bit longer than usual, like two or three days, sorry about that. Just that I'm working on the judge's design to make sure he looks as silly as possible plus I have to figure out a couple mod/console commands to make the whole thing look pretty enough. Plus some photoshop witchcraft.

(For UI looking stuff, you guys want me to keep up with the Fallout 4 looking stuff or should I go more Ace Attorneyish with the courtroom UI?)

Just for fun(and bragging rights) though, while I get the setup for the courtroom stuff sorted out, I am curious about who you guys think is the killer.

You guys now have enough evidence you could make a fair guess as to the killer's identity, although not yet with 100% certainty.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 18, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Stop trying to trick us. I know it was the loving statue.

Failing that I'm pretty sure two or more of the dwellers of this wretched shithole conspired to murder Overson.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 18, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I don't think it could have been Ed Balor on account of how he is clearly far too stupid to have committed the crime.

Jane Torres, however, says that everyone was at the Nightly Festivities, including Ed Balor. Ed says he was asleep at the time of the murders. How much time passed, I wonder, between the end of the festivities and the killing?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Unrequitted love always leads to murder. So it was either Lara, who apparently acts without regard to consequences, or Warden being manipulated by her. Lara is supposed to be young, that was the original description of her, yes? Maybe she was a child of the original family who got murdered and this is a revenge plot. The knife that killed him is the same as the one that killed the family right? I don't know how she got in though. If she controls the turrets she could have gotten outside the walls, which is maybe how she made her escape.

Keep in mind:
Moving statue
Dead Brahmin (why was it there? Could its meat and blood be used to rig a crime scene?)
Bloody rags
Second, rusted over door

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You've got a "[Ryder]" that's probably supposed to be a picture.

E: The Tunnel Snakes did it, by which I mean if we're really doing this AA style we have no idea who did it until we've bluffed for hours. :v:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It was totally An Invisible Deathclaw. With a knife.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

AlphaKretin posted:

You've got a "[Ryder]" that's probably supposed to be a picture.

E: The Tunnel Snakes did it, by which I mean if we're really doing this AA style we have no idea who did it until we've bluffed for hours. :v:

Oops, thanks for pointing that out.

It was this image that was missing if anyone is curious. Just edited it in.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Hopeford posted:

Next update might take a bit longer than usual, like two or three days, sorry about that.

Considering you're creating original content and are updating frequently when other LPs take forever to post an update where they record themselves talking over something, I think you're doing pretty good as far as updates go.

Not going to guess who the killer is yet....but Dr. Ryder is looking a tad suspicious after the whole 'laser beam' incident...

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, we ignored him and now might accuse him of murder despite being the client, but all the evidence points towards him. And this is the first case, so obviously it's the most obvious answer.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I want a laser eye beams companion n the game now.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Given the current evidence, someone would have to have stood on top of the switch during the festivities to prevent the first alarm from going off. Either Overson as the odd one out, or Oswald as the night guard (if he was the night guard for that night, VERY IMPORTANT WE ASK THIS), had to be on the switch at the time. Those are the only two people who wouldn't be at the festivities, assuming Ed is telling the truth and fell asleep after the party. So either a second person was missing from the party, or the dead brahmin plays into this. I'm going to currently go with

because he's the only person who could have gone missing from the festivities without being noticed. I'm also willing to believe that Oswald killed the brahmin for some kind of nefarious purpose, and that the blood on the rags is brahmin blood.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 19, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Like killed it, put it on the switch instead of standing on it himself, murder the guy, hid the thing and clothes? How would that timeline work without an accomplice+

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
When you put it that way, it seems less plausible. It also doesn't do anything to solve the locked door. So, having done all this, two facts must be true for a murder to have occurred:

1) Someone had to have been standing on the switch
2) They had to have been let in by Overson.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Who ever said there wasn't an accomplice? I don't think that was ever stated in bold, and pretty much the entire settlement has reason to be upset with Overson.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Trick question! Every did it, except Broski. Broski is too nice to kill him. :colbert:

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I wonder how somebody gets added (or removed) from the list of people who don't get killed by the turrets. Who can do this? And How?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Spikey posted:

I wonder how somebody gets added (or removed) from the list of people who don't get killed by the turrets. Who can do this? And How?

If I had to guess:

They use that terminal. The cables seem to go up to the turrets.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

"The court is now in session for the trial of Ed Balor. Are both sides ready?"

"...I must say, I have presided over many open and shut cases before...but never quite one as obvious as this one."

"Uh-oh..."

"I say, the criminal is obviously a ghost!"

"It is commendable that the prosecution has managed to bring a ghost to stand trial. I will see to it that you get a raise."

"That's...not exactly what happened, your honor."

"Well, so let me get this straight...how is the prosecution so certain that the ghost is this Ed Balor person?"

"...Allow me to sum up the case."

"At 2:12 in the morning, the victim was murdered. We know this thanks to the existence of a Dead Man's switch."

"Overson isolated himself from the settlement with a lock that remained undisturbed until after his death. This makes his death most puzzling."

"Y-you don't mean...it was a ghost?"

"No, your honor. I do not."

"I mean that the defendant is a Mole Rat trainer. I believe he dug a hole underneath the fence, killed the victim, then escaped through the same hole. He had plenty of time to cover up the hole later."

"Once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. Since no other viable method of murder exists, the defendant is guilty and must therefore be executed."

"But how can we be sure that those molerats are indeed that well-trained?"

"The defendant is quite loud and proud about this fact, your honor. He told us not less than seven different times."

"Which makes this quite simple."

"Hmm...the prosecution makes a compelling argument. What do you think, Mr. Flamingo?"

"I agree with him."

"Oh, well in that case we need to get going. I have to go take care of my hair...you wouldn't believe it, but this color isn't natural."

"No, your honor. That's not what I mean."

" 'Once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"This is the part I agree with."

"But...my hair...it's getting all moisty."

"Your honor! Order the bailiff to bring out my first witness!"

"Erm...I..."

"NOW!"

"The witness will testify now!"

"(...This judge is not on my side, is he?)"

Cross Examination!

"Well, that seems pretty clear cut to me!"

"Not to me."

"...Alright. But don't waste our time, Mr. Flamingo!"

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 21, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Your job is to analyse the statements that came from the witness. For easy reference, the ones that have the "Preset/Press" bar at the top like this one.

The thread can choose to "Press" a statement to ask for more information regarding it. You can ask the witness a specific question regarding his/her testimony as well.

The thread can also 'OBJECT' to a statement if you think it directly contradicts the evidence you have.

In other words, voting instructions are pretty simple:

Go "Press" and mention which statement you want to press.

OR

Vote "Present/Object" and mention what evidence you want to use on what statement.

Whatever option has the most amount of votes will be the one carried out in the update.

All evidence is stored in the very first page of this thread so you guys don't need to go through updates to find it.

Hope you guys have fun with this silly poo poo and sorry for the delay!

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 21, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

I'd like some more detail as to how the lock was destroyed. How long did it take?

EDIT: To explain why, I feel like we need to do more than just show that Ed's mole rats are terrible. We also need to show that there may have been a sizable gap between when the alarm went off and when they reached the crime scene, enough time for someone to have done wrongdoing and slipped away one way or another. Plus, they tried breaking a lock from the wrong side of the door.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Also one question regarding the judge:

The one we have here is my second choice for judge. I had a much better made Judge character, but the game kind of glitched the gently caress out with him. Tried everything, saved/loaded, turned off the game and turned it back on...he's uh, stuck like that.

Do you guys want abomination judge or normal looking judge?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: I think I misread the testimony.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 21, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Hopeford posted:

Do you guys want abomination judge or normal looking judge?

After this case is over, have normal judge removed for being too much of a milquetoast for SKY COURT and replaced with the takes-no-poo poo abomination judge.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

CirclMastr posted:

After this case is over, have normal judge removed for being too much of a milquetoast for SKY COURT and replaced with the takes-no-poo poo abomination judge.

Alternatively, just turn off the sliders and make normal judge grow a gigantic Gandalf beard for the next case.

Brerose
Jun 10, 2016

I want to press on the first and second statement. What were the others doing when they got to the gate, according to Warden?

Also, seconding Unknown Quantity's press as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Can I just say that I love that we reached the courtroom sessions because it's gonna make writing updates so much loving easier for me? :allears:

Brerose posted:

I want to press on the first and second statement. What were the others doing when they got to the gate, according to Warden?

Also, seconding Unknown Quantity's press as well.

For organization's sake, I think it's better if people can only vote to press/object one statement at a time. I should edit the rules to make that a bit clearer haha. Edited the rules a bit. What should I count your vote towards? The first or the second? (Unknown Quantity's press goes on the second statement)

• Locked thread