Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ManDingo posted:

I think the distinctions between Gary and the major parties is a little more than just weed. He's also the only candidate against foreign military intervention, the surveillance state, big business exploiting regulation to their own benefit among others.

When he says he's "against foreign military intervention", does that include not sending pmc's? Because I remember a similar stance from Ron Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

Ogmius815 posted:

Except his solution to regulatory capture is "no more regulations" which is actually worse.

I have not heard him say anything about eliminating all regulations. I'm pretty sure New Mexico still had regulations during his term. I actually would trust him more than Trump/Clinton on the environment because he obviously has a greater appreciation for it given all the crazy poo poo he's done, mountain biking, climbing, ultra marathons, etc.

mike12345 posted:

When he says he's "against foreign military intervention", does that include not sending pmc's? Because I remember a similar stance from Ron Paul.

He hasn't made a distinction from what I've seen or heard which of course is pretty limited given his media exposure. Again contrasting that with Clinton who at one time oversaw the worlds largest private army I am not overly concerned about it.

https://www.wired.com/2011/07/iraq-merc-army/

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Oh and he'll be on Real Time with Bill Maher this evening.

CyclicalAberration
Feb 14, 2012

ManDingo posted:

Oh and he'll be on Real Time with Bill Maher this evening.

I'd be interested in hearing more from Gary Johnson but I can't stomach Bill Maher. I'm frankly surprised that there's enough people that enjoy hearing his bullshit to keep him on air.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CyclicalAberration posted:

I'd be interested in hearing more from Gary Johnson but I can't stomach Bill Maher. I'm frankly surprised that there's enough people that enjoy hearing his bullshit to keep him on air.

he was the opening interview guest

it was mostly about how crazy trump is and to a lesser extent how crazy the libertarian party is, which johnson doesn't disagree with

plus he mentioned setting a target of 20% reduction in defense spending

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Gary Johnson and the libertarian party are really extra garbage which makes me sad to see my desperate bernout university friends reposting his poo poo because he loves weed and doesn't like war

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Our fate is to live in a more advanced version of Putin's Russia with an American flag

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

How did NMs economy fair under Johnson, anyways?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Thump! posted:

Honestly it doesn't matter. Watch the Samantha bee interview where they go rock climbing and tell me he isn't a walking sex scandal waiting to happen. Do it with a straight face for bonus points.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Gary "#FeelMyJohnson" Johnson is a moderate Republican who couldn't cut it as a viable candidate in the presidential primaries, so he attached himself to the one popular conservative third party and only gets by on the fact that he's the only person there who has any actual political experience. He disagrees with like 75% of the actual Libertarian Party stances on issues; which is why every other Libertarian primary candidate ran on "I'm a real Libertarian candidate and it's not fair that that hack Johnson is so popular! End the fed, donate with altcoins, colloidal silver, Ron Paul 4 Ever."

But when your only other viable options were either McAfee or a Fox News hack, well...

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

CyclicalAberration posted:

It's the first time I've seen his show. They actually had a segment photoshoping movie posters.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Thump! posted:

About how you would expect

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thump! posted:

still based entirely on the sale of ceramic "gray" or "schwa" shaped alien heads, but that would be the case no matter who was governor or what their agenda was

firebeats
May 8, 2016

ManDingo posted:

He's also the only candidate against foreign military intervention, the surveillance state

*AHEM*

firebeats has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Jul 4, 2016

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

YF19pilot posted:

Gary "#FeelMyJohnson" Johnson is a moderate Republican who couldn't cut it as a viable candidate in the presidential primaries, so he attached himself to the one popular conservative third party and only gets by on the fact that he's the only person there who has any actual political experience. He disagrees with like 75% of the actual Libertarian Party stances on issues; which is why every other Libertarian primary candidate ran on "I'm a real Libertarian candidate and it's not fair that that hack Johnson is so popular! End the fed, donate with altcoins, colloidal silver, Ron Paul 4 Ever."

But when your only other viable options were either McAfee or a Fox News hack, well...

Well real Libertarians are batshit insane so...

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Gary Johnson is unpopular among Libertarians for his stances like "we should have drivers' licenses" and "the Civil Rights Act was good".

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

gret posted:

Well real Libertarians are batshit insane so...

I know. I did detailed write ups of every Libertarian primary candidate in the Libertarian/Jrode thread. Here's the start, just view my post history to skip to the good stuff.

The Libertarian candidates fell into three categories this year: Gary Johnson, insane, and former Fox News employee (not that these categories are mutually exclusive, mind you). It's still hilarious that my Libertarian friends keep sending me memes that say "Vote for Gary Johnson; he climbed a bunch of mountains!" And by "Libertarian" I mean Cruz supporters who can't get behind Trump.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Gary is getting good poll numbers not just because of the Trump blowback but because there is certainly political space for a non-insane suburban libertarianism along the lines of 'let me smoke weed, lower my taxes, and stop spying on me' that neither major party is covering. My guess is that this is the path the post-Trump Paul Ryan GOP will start leaning into in the next couple of years.

Like there will always be a small group of purestrain libertarian guys that obsesses over the literal meaning of the Constitution. There is probably a much larger group of voters that want to do things like cut the living poo poo out of 'wasteful' spending like defense and focus government on very governmenty things, like roads and bridges and whatnot.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Goetta posted:

. . . there is certainly political space for a non-insane suburban libertarianism along the lines of 'let me smoke weed, lower my taxes, and stop spying on me' that neither major party is covering. My guess is that this is the path the post-Trump Paul Ryan GOP will start leaning into in the next couple of years. . . . There is probably a much larger group of voters that want to do things like cut the living poo poo out of 'wasteful' spending like defense and focus government on very governmenty things, like roads and bridges and whatnot.

oh my god I wish I shared your optimism. I don't even care about the lower taxes part, because you have to collect money to have more money to spend, and there's no way in hell we ever reduce defense spending by a meaningful degree, but if there was a candidate who was seriously going to be the infrastructure candidate, that would get my heart all a'twitter

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you watch the Overtime session with Bill Maher, Gary got a question about the Libertarian party's position on climate change. He said climate change is real, but the party doesn't have a position, however the free market will solve it :shepface:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Goetta posted:

There is probably a much larger group of voters that want to do things like cut the living poo poo out of 'wasteful' spending like defense and focus government on very governmenty things, like roads and bridges and whatnot.

Gary Johnson (and nearly all libertarians) want to disband nearly every agency and department in the federal government so they can cut taxes to nothing and let Mad Max come true, this isn't happening any time soon

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

I stand corrected, 2 candidates.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

And by "Libertarian" I mean Cruz supporters who can't get behind Trump.

Do they know he's pro baby killing?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
what does gary johnson think of ga(r)y marriage

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

point of return posted:

what does gary johnson think of ga(r)y marriage

The party doesn't have a position but the free market will solve it

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Oh. :(

poo poo. :(

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

It's obviously a photoshop. He's wearing dress shoes for Christ's sake!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The party doesn't have a position but the free market will solve it

Good position because is what solved it irl.

There was enough demand, one state legalized it, everyone got married there, more states legalized it, the US adopted it as an official law.

Done.

Same will happen with weed.

peeper
Jun 21, 2005
Fun Shoe
D

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/755817136040345600

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Itshappening dot gary

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That's awesome! If Johnson gets into the debates, if Weld gets into the VP debates, it could really gently caress with Trump's numbers and help push civil liberties issues. I'm really pulling for the Libertarians right now

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

ManDingo posted:

He's also the only candidate against foreign military intervention,

If Russia invades Estonia does Gary Johnson believe we should fulfill our NATO obligations?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The polls that have Gary getting 10% are loving crazy

He'll be lucky to pull 2 or 3% and that's really bad news for Clinton

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

KaptainKrunk posted:

The polls that have Gary getting 10% are loving crazy

He'll be lucky to pull 2 or 3% and that's really bad news for Clinton
He'll pull significantly more votes from the right

Unless that's what you meant than namaste.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Nah, I meant how a lot of models (specifically Nate Silver's) have Johnson pulling 5%+ or even 10% which just won't happen. There's also 0% chance that the networks let him in the debates when Trump v. Hillary will be the greatest ratings heavyweight fight of this century.

He doesn't have any real exposure and the average voter doesn't know who the gently caress he is. Most people upset with HRC and Trump are more likely to stay home and not vote than go out and vote for him or Stein.

Obviously it's just one poll, but take Quinnipiac's latest poll for PA - HRC 34%, Trump 40%, Johnson 9%. That's bad news for Clinton because there's no loving way Johnson gets 9% and most of the people who say they would vote for him either won't vote or will vote Trump.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

KaptainKrunk posted:

Obviously it's just one poll, but take Quinnipiac's latest poll for PA - HRC 34%, Trump 40%, Johnson 9%. That's bad news for Clinton because there's no loving way Johnson gets 9% and most of the people who say they would vote for him either won't vote or will vote Trump.

538 looked at the numbers and, so far at least, Johnson seems to be taking slightly more support from Hillary than Trump:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-is-gary-johnson-taking-more-support-from-clinton-or-trump/

In the Quinn poll you're referring to, for example, Trump was +2 against Hillary only (43% - 41%), but +6 against Hillary when Johnson and Stein were included (40% T, 34% C, 9% J, 3% S)

I wouldn't worry too much (according to current polls, at least) about the undecided/3rd party vote breaking to Trump

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

KaptainKrunk posted:

Nah, I meant how a lot of models (specifically Nate Silver's) have Johnson pulling 5%+ or even 10% which just won't happen. There's also 0% chance that the networks let him in the debates when Trump v. Hillary will be the greatest ratings heavyweight fight of this century.

He doesn't have any real exposure and the average voter doesn't know who the gently caress he is. Most people upset with HRC and Trump are more likely to stay home and not vote than go out and vote for him or Stein.

I find it weird he'd pull more from clinton, but I guess that's independent voters vs conservative.

God help us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ThndrShk2k posted:

I find it weird he'd pull more from clinton, but I guess that's independent voters vs conservative.

God help us all.

The people I know voting for Johnson consider themselves independent, but vote straight R every time. This year they're jumping ship because they voted for Ted Cruz in the primary and are die hard against Trump and Clinton. Then you have Bernie Bros who are threatening to vote Johnson in protest of Clinton, because they've been reading "news" from anti-Clinton sources trying to cherry pick and invent a story out of the Wikileaks emails.

• Locked thread