Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

:page3:

Pewpewpew, pewpe-pewpewpew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Alright, I have level 3,5, and 7 still open if I'm not mistaken.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: I was never big into Megaman or it's offshoots, so I'd appreciate a breakdown of why MN9 is bad compared to it's spiritual predecessor.

It'll be clearer in a couple videos (and unfortunately a big chunk of the reason is "Internet Drama"), but for starters, watch a boss fight from a classic Megaman LP and contrast it with the bosses from MN9.

Mega Man boss fights are over in 30 seconds. The ones in Mighty Number 9 have these long, drawn-out attack patterns which offer you a tiny window to return fire, and they have massive health pools so you have to repeat the entire process multiple times over the course of several minutes. Oh, and then they can all heal themselves. Even watching, you can tell that it's not fun.

(I'm trying to think of a classic MM boss as obnoxious as, say, the Avi fight. Sigma from Mega Man X, maybe?)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
I'd be down for doing level 7.

I've got words for that one.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

It'll be clearer in a couple videos (and unfortunately a big chunk of the reason is "Internet Drama"), but for starters, watch a boss fight from a classic Megaman LP and contrast it with the bosses from MN9.

Mega Man boss fights are over in 30 seconds. The ones in Mighty Number 9 have these long, drawn-out attack patterns which offer you a tiny window to return fire, and they have massive health pools so you have to repeat the entire process multiple times over the course of several minutes. Oh, and then they can all heal themselves. Even watching, you can tell that it's not fun.

(I'm trying to think of a classic MM boss as obnoxious as, say, the Avi fight. Sigma from Mega Man X, maybe?)

Dynaman! That one was a loving BASTARD!

Edit: It's come to my attention it's Dynamo Man.

Zain fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 29, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm so happy I went for 20XX rather than this.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 29, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zain posted:

Edit: It's come to my attention it's Dynamo Man.
At least Dynamo Man had that exploit where you pause and unpause the game to get rid of the Copy Vision so you can use another one to destroy the other side of his healing device quickly. I'm gonna wager that no such thing exists in Mighty No. 9.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Grimwit posted:

Zain, I feel your disappointment and hope this Let's Play will give you time to heal.

Here, I drew you a picture to cheer you up.

my god it's full of stars

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Looking back at how this mess went down, I believe it's more a combination of incompetence, scope creep and hype so over the top nothing could've lived up to it than Inafking being a greedy bastard stuck up his own rear end of pretentiousness (though of course that was also a factor).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

So it's not an emptyquote- I didn't notice before, but I once had the same glasses as the guy in your avatar...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
nuthin' wrong with emptyquotes

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I remember hearing the hype about this game and thinking it might be interesting, but since I'd never played any Megaman games I gave it a pass. Dodged a bullet here for sure even if the gameplay is only mediocre and not as bad as the voice acting. Can't wait to see the trainwreck bits though!

This is great and you have nothing to be sorry for.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Careful about flashing that image around. You might trigger CJacobs' PTSD.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bubsy Number 5.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

LogicalFallacy posted:

Careful about flashing that image around. You might trigger CJacobs' PTSD.

Ah, you're right I should totally link it to him.

Also I shoulda probably asked this before. Would people like the whole cast as doing 1-8 OR would you want for me to show off (Follow) weakness chains and special interactions with some of the Mighty No.s in the stages? Outside of MN2, because seriously gently caress her! I might just buster duel everyone. OR does anyone really care about that?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You might as well show the game off in the best possible way, to at least polish the turd a little.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Well, it depends, do you want to play each stage normally or show off whatever "help" each No. is capable of giving?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Buster Duel them halfway, then show off weaknesses. Because, sin of sins, this game does not have boss refights.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Derek Barona posted:

Well, it depends, do you want to play each stage normally or show off whatever "help" each No. is capable of giving?

I think I'll show off the "help" they don't really do much, but well actually Pyrogen does make MN2's bossfight less of a pain in the rear end.

kalonZombie posted:

Buster Duel them halfway, then show off weaknesses. Because, sin of sins, this game does not have boss refights.

Oh poo poo! Well drat, okay that helps out a lot. I thought it would.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Do whatever makes the game less painful for you. It's enough that you're playing it, really.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Showing off the weaknesses sounds more fun

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Everyone and their grandmother are dumping on this game. Granted I haven't played it, or any Megaman games and it looks bland as hell in my opinion.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I think fat doctor was supposed to have some sort of accent but they forgot to tell the voice actor

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zain, I'd be interested in co-commentating on 3's stage. I wouldn't be available until next week though if that matters.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Whatever is most fun because by the looks of things you're going to need every last drop you can squeeze out of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is a boss rush mode.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Zain, I'd be interested in co-commentating on 3's stage. I wouldn't be available until next week though if that matters.

Sure that works for me.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a boss rush mode.

Probably after we beat the game?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zain posted:

Probably after we beat the game?

Yes.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Better than nothing? I don't know about that. It's really more like "At least you aren't being physically beaten to death right now: Let's Play Mighty No. 9"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

FisheyStix posted:

Better than nothing? I don't know about that. It's really more like "At least you aren't being physically beaten to death right now: Let's Play Mighty No. 9"

New thread title

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Okay, so who donated to make this happen, knowing full well that "Inafune wants more Megaman money, but can't use Megaman himself! Interesting! I'm sure the end result will be creative and fun" Like you actually thought your money would go towards a Megaman fan game? Haha

It went straight up his nose

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Cobweb Heart posted:

Okay, so who donated to make this happen, knowing full well that "Inafune wants more Megaman money, but can't use Megaman himself! Interesting! I'm sure the end result will be creative and fun" Like you actually thought your money would go towards a Megaman fan game? Haha

I thought he WAS the creator of Megaman...until I found out it wasn't even close to being the case a month or two after the kickstarter ended. There were also some things that happened BEHIND the scenes...but I'm not gonna bring it up in the thread.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I do want to say a couple positive things about this game. I do like that it doesn't have the refights and that actually makes sense with the story. The other thing is that it makes finding weakness for bosses really easy.
What I mean is that if you already beat a boss and you go to select the next stage that you want to fight in. If you already have the weapon needed for the boss then you also get an extra option on the stage select called advice. All advice is, is a prevousious boss talking vaguely about the stage. However that previous boss is also the weakness to the one you are about to fight and they will also show up somewhere in the stage to assist. They aren't really helpful but it's nice.

As for me I really didn't use boss weakness that much outside of the Avi fight since it made fighting him a lot easier. Instead I used the sword ability and whaled on everybody because it also deflects bullets.
The sword is the best powerup outside of the laser.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Kemix posted:

I thought he WAS the creator of Megaman...until I found out it wasn't even close to being the case a month or two after the kickstarter ended. There were also some things that happened BEHIND the scenes...but I'm not gonna bring it up in the thread.

You can bring it up as long as it just doesn't spiral into GG poo poo posting you know? From my understanding is that the money really was squandered, on what I've heard mixed things. The most popular thing was just tons of catering and parties.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Sounds like Ion Storm all over again.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

I dont know posted:

Sounds like Ion Storm all over again.

Funny you mentioned that.

The first time I heard the oh-so-great trailer, I was reminded of a certain Ion Storm game advertisement.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I think a summary of the Mighty Drama spawned from Mighty No 9's development would be nice, just for those of us that weren't really paying attention to it. I didn't even hear about this game until recently, let alone any stories behind it.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

mauman posted:

The first time I heard the oh-so-great trailer, I was reminded of a certain Ion Storm game advertisement.

This one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

mauman posted:

"Keiji Inafune is going to make you his anime bitch at prom night?" :v:

E:
though I wonder if the "anime fan on prom night" was completely intentional on the developers' part or entirely the brainchild of whoever marketing guy they had.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

radintorov posted:

"Keiji Inafune is going to make you his anime bitch at prom night?" :v:

E:
though I wonder if the "anime fan on prom night" was completely intentional on the developers' part or entirely the brainchild of whoever marketing guy they had.

Like to hope that it was a marketing guy and not the team.

• Locked thread