Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Real audio tip: if you have a constant hum when hooking up one outlet-powered device to another, it's because the two devices have slightly different ground voltages and you need one of these
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-ground-loop-isolator/9855136.p?id=1218186610567

I think it's just a high pass filter

My best buy had one on hand but i had to ask a clerk to poke around the back

This won't happen if one of the devices is battery powered, so if it happens with your desktop->TV but not laptop->TV, that's the problem you're having

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

AugmentedVision posted:

I like that audiophiles are all about analog equipment now

"Now that digital amplifiers that amplify the sound perfectly, with no distortion, are widely available to the general public, we need something to stand out and be elitist about. Let's intentionally use analog equipment that introduces distortions and make up some bullshit about a warmer sound"

All audio amplifiers are analog because speakers are analog. Newer stuff will often be digital at the inputs, but must be converted to analog before the final amplification. And older equipment often had better final amplification components than newer stuff, at least until you get to really expensive equipment.

That said, most of the audiophile wankery about vintage gear is pretty dumb, you'd often be better off buying better speakers than going nuts trying to re-cap and restore a old receiver that you paid a shitload of money for from some collector. However, if you can get one cheap, it can be a fun project.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Haier posted:

For a moment I was thinking "drat, wanna fry up all that eggplant."

EDIT: I bought a FIIO MP3 DAP thing and trying to ask help about it online just got me a shitload of downvotes and audiophile nerds being salty as gently caress that I wasn't using FLAC on it, even going as far as saying I didn't own the device and I was just making things up. Like, LOL, your $100 MP3 player has really lovely firmware. Get over it.

Was it the FiiO X1? I'm thinking about getting drunk tonight and buying it because I got used to my ipod classic with the wheel and just want a decent mp3 player that's not a smart device.

Do you like it?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
If you're experiencing hum just cut the power cable and hold both leads. You become the ultimate noise filter that's in tune with your ears

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

eSports Chaebol posted:

lovely circuitry can do that especially in computers though also the solution can be just a little $5 usb dongle dac not a hand-woven coconut hair fabric insulated iridium cable

Definitely. I borrowed a USB dongle when I watched Drive on my pc a bunch of years ago and the hum was bugging me

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's like, perfect 3D sound if you sit in this one spot and don't move your head. :v:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

further reminder that virtually all audiophile forums ban any mention of or requests for any sort of blind a/b or a/b/x testing

Man, I really can't believe that virtually all audiophile forums do that.... that they ban any mention of or requests for any sort of blind a/b or a/b/x testing

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
It's just so lame, and twisted, that they ban that kind of testing. loving nerds...

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JnnyThndrs posted:

All audio amplifiers are analog because speakers are analog. Newer stuff will often be digital at the inputs, but must be converted to analog before the final amplification. And older equipment often had better final amplification components than newer stuff, at least until you get to really expensive equipment.

That said, most of the audiophile wankery about vintage gear is pretty dumb, you'd often be better off buying better speakers than going nuts trying to re-cap and restore a old receiver that you paid a shitload of money for from some collector. However, if you can get one cheap, it can be a fun project.

But you can make a sound field with just a processor and a digital signal and a clock. :shrug:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

AugmentedVision posted:

Real audio tip: if you have a constant hum when hooking up one outlet-powered device to another, it's because the two devices have slightly different ground voltages and you need one of these
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-ground-loop-isolator/9855136.p?id=1218186610567

This won't happen if one of the devices is battery powered, so if it happens with your desktop->TV but not laptop->TV, that's the problem you're having

But SURELY there's a much, much more expensive one I can buy?!

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

AugmentedVision posted:

I like that audiophiles are all about analog equipment now

"Now that digital amplifiers that amplify the sound perfectly, with no distortion, are widely available to the general public, we need something to stand out and be elitist about. Let's intentionally use analog equipment that introduces distortions and make up some bullshit about a warmer sound"

That's an oversimplification.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
yes

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Really I was only talking about tube amps for headphones and home audio

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

AugmentedVision posted:

Really I was only talking about tube amps for headphones and home audio

Yeah, I agree, the only real advantage to tubes is they clip gracefully, so at balls-out volume, they tend to sound better to our ears. For normal listening there's no need.

The stupidest thing ever:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I'm gonna figure out a way to print a circuitboard on wood

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

AugmentedVision posted:

Protip just break off the ground pin on each device.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

AugmentedVision posted:

The noise sometimes presents as high pitched squealing (because of poorly designed switchmode power supplies), that isolator still works in those cases because it's not a high pass filter - it's basically a 1:1 transformer, and the isolation that transformers offer means that the devices can't ground themselves to each other through the signal cabling.

You can also solve the problem by tying everything's grounds together properly, and I prefer doing this because those isolators introduce their own (real) distortions.

Ground issues can present in other ways too - back in the days of tube TVs I had one that would display faint scrolling diagonal lines unless I used the thickest s-video cable I had (it came with my radeon 9800pro and must've had a real beefy ground shield). Eventually I had enough of it so I connected everything's grounds together with the kind of wire used for power cable (which is a lot thicker than what you'll find in an rca lead) and that fixed the problem.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

Protip just break off the ground pin on each device.

Not sure if serious? I think I might have actually tried this, and my TV doesn't have a ground prong.

Fuzz1111 posted:

You can also solve the problem by tying everything's grounds together properly, and I prefer doing this because those isolators introduce their own (real) distortions.

Yeah I know that you can wire your house properly to avoid this, but that's not an option. Plus I had it with a TV that doesn't have a ground prong so I don't really understand how the circuitry works.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Minimalist Program posted:

Man, I really can't believe that virtually all audiophile forums do that.... that they ban any mention of or requests for any sort of blind a/b or a/b/x testing

Is this because they're sponsored by thise same snakeoil companies?

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Was it the FiiO X1? I'm thinking about getting drunk tonight and buying it because I got used to my ipod classic with the wheel and just want a decent mp3 player that's not a smart device.

Do you like it?

Seconding this--does anyone have experience with those FiiO players? My iPod 5G is living on borrowed time, and I liked the loving ClickWheel because I could have it in my back pocket while working in the garage, and could change songs without having the pull the damned thing out, pull my welding gloves off, and gently caress around with a lame-rear end touch screen.

Shocking that Apple designers, including Lord Jobs, probably couldn't tell you which end of a hammer to hold, and designed their products for emasculated pussies like themselves.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I like my fiio E17 because I can make my computer louder without having to gently caress about with Windows. Also maybe it sounds better but I dunno.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You know what I hate the most about audiophiles? They never say they like music, they say they like "audio." As if for them it's more about loving around with the sound quality than the actual music itself.

Whenever an audiophile posts a pic of their setups, you almost always see the vinyl on their shelves is 90% Tuning/Demo/Benchmark records, with a few "safe" albums thrown in. Audiophiles are even more afraid of being called out on having bad music tastes than they are of being called out on cheap equipment. That's why you only see the same "safe" albums over and over again in every audiophile setup pic. (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, and a few others that they feel are incapable of being criticized)

Most of them don't actually to listen to music, they listen to their equipment.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm really thankful that I'm a normal person in that I don't give a gently caress if sometimes my tv buzzes when there's deep bass or if my computer speakers sound a bit tinny.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

AugmentedVision posted:

lol do you shop at best buy or is this part of the joke?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blockade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrjQXyqZvw

"We don't know why organisms need to sleep, we don't know how consciousness works, and we don't know how ethernet cables work" :viggo:

around 34 minutes in when he plays u2 and 6 grey haired men i nthe room start head bobbing

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

2x goatse

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
it doesnt take a lot of money to get near perfect quality sound from the source, a good 30 dollar FiiO DAC will do the trick, the rest of it is usually speakers

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?

Hell Yeah posted:

if you hold a seashell up to your ear you can either hear the sea or get your ears pierced by a friendly crab.

Are seashells digital or analog?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Kickstarter idea of the day: seashell speakers that turn on when you hold them to your ear

Zenos Paradise
Apr 2, 2011

Did somebody say honeypot?
The ultimate audiophile speaker: Hand in armpit, built in 3.5 mm auxillary port

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Class D or 'digital' amplifiers are really cool, but don't intrinsically work any better than an analog amp if you're talking quality. though they are monster on efficiency, like 90+%

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Sapper posted:

Seconding this--does anyone have experience with those FiiO players? My iPod 5G is living on borrowed time, and I liked the loving ClickWheel because I could have it in my back pocket while working in the garage, and could change songs without having the pull the damned thing out, pull my welding gloves off, and gently caress around with a lame-rear end touch screen.

Shocking that Apple designers, including Lord Jobs, probably couldn't tell you which end of a hammer to hold, and designed their products for emasculated pussies like themselves.

I got drunk and bought it. It shouod come in a few days. I'll let you know if it's poo poo or not. If I forget, pm me.

I feel ya with the wheel. Love that thing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

I'm going to use this to play My Humps by The Black Eyed Peas.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I got drunk and bought it. It shouod come in a few days. I'll let you know if it's poo poo or not. If I forget, pm me.

I feel ya with the wheel. Love that thing.

Hey nerds I want to replace my Rockbox Sansa Clip+ because the batteries are getting odld. What's a similar cheap small mp3 player with good audio?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Hey nerds I want to replace my Rockbox Sansa Clip+ because the batteries are getting odld. What's a similar cheap small mp3 player with good audio?

I DON'T KNOW

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
then what use are you

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

then what use are you

For my headphones I use Monster cables that send my Shakira songs from my phone to me in HD speed

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

This reminds me, does anyone else remember the audiophile dude with the lovely house that he had shored-up all his ceilings with 4x4's because all the bass was slowly shaking his house apart. He uploaded a few walkthrough videos on youtube of his home as it shook. Someone with better youtube search kung fu please find these.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
All to play back sound that was originally captured on a plastic diaphragm inside a $200 mass produced microphone, placed roughly where it sounded good to the engineer at the time (and before the signal has gone through another 1000 variables and processes...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

spleen merchant posted:

All to play back sound that was originally captured on a plastic diaphragm inside a $200 mass produced microphone, placed roughly where it sounded good to the engineer at the time (and before the signal has gone through another 1000 variables and processes...)

I don't know about that one, most of the audio sups and engineers I know love to buy nice schoeps, dpa, etc... mics. They definitely carry a hefty pricetag.

• Locked thread