Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

scuba school sucks posted:

You should read the book.

(Mods please rename me SONNYS COLOSSAL SCHLONG tia)

Yeah, the part about his illegitimate kid was pretty :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nooner posted:

I LIKED THE PART WHERE YOU GET TO SEE THE GIRLS TITTAYS!!!!!!! :q::q::q: :jackbud: :jackbud::q:

Lol oh nooner <:)>

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

one of my favorite examples of foreshadowing in film is how around 6:07 sonny is out of focus in the background while his father is about to explain one day he might need a favor from the undertaker

also: one thing i've never heard explained: why did they have to dub the "i talked to barzini" line, and why was it so last second, rushed and poorly done? of the hundreds of things nerds have found when studying the godfather, this is the only one i can recall being noticeable when watching the first time, it's just a bad second of a great film

DOUBLE EDIT

here's the moment for anyone who doesn't remember it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj-r7ARXfSs

Maybe they needed to have one-less swear in the movie to keep from being rated NC-17 by the MPAA

In PCU something similar happened where they wanted a PG-13 rating, but the MPAA would only allow one "gently caress" for a PG-13 movie. So a scene where David Spade's character says "open up fuckhead" was changed to "open up sucko" with similar results

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Professor Shark posted:

You're wrong, it's Sonny's mistress

Well poo poo, nice catch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Godfather has some incredible cinematography courtesy of Gordon Willis. He could film a dark room like no one else. Even read that he had footage exposed in the camera so precisely so nobody could gently caress it up later.

Goodfellas is really well shot (Michael Ballhaus), too, but the real technical star is Thelma Schoonmaker's editing. Especially the whole "Henry's Bad Day" part.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

feelix posted:

All the "classic" gangster movies are actually really bad, but they've entrenched themselves in American culture as a symbol of masculinity, so legions of insecure men deceive themselves into "enjoying" them.

They're actually good.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
I have not seen Thje Godfather.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The worst part about The Godfather was how Season 1 of The Sopranos would often reference it as if it were some sort of studied guide full of insight into This Thing of Ours with embarrassingly terrible dialogue

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
The big pussy subplot may have had a chapter too many

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Of the Puzo books not the Big Pussy subplot of the Sopranos

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Professor Shark posted:

The worst part about The Godfather was how Season 1 of The Sopranos would often reference it as if it were some sort of studied guide full of insight into This Thing of Ours with embarrassingly terrible dialogue

they definitely got carried away a few times early on but it was worth it for the time tony staples a guys suit to his chest then remembers to drop it by his side to the floor as he walks away

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Shaquin posted:

Basically Cinderella but instead of the perfect shoe for the perfect foot it's just bumpin uglies. This is a real actual plot point in the novel of the Godfather. There's a dude with a schlong so big his wife "fears the marriage bed like heretics in the Inquisition feared the rack" and there's a woman whose cooter is so cavernous she can't find pleasure with mere mortals. Will they or won't they? Oh, the drama, oh the suspense, oh the humanity!

(She eventually gets it tightened up with a simple operation, I don't think we ever found out if Santino got a penis ensmallment though.)

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man the Godfather books sounds pretty nuts. Think I'm gonna have to make sure I get that.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
:discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse::discourse:

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

scuba school sucks posted:

(She eventually gets it tightened up with a simple operation, I don't think we ever found out if Santino got a penis ensmallment though.)

Guess that depends on how many bullets hit his dick on the causeway.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im watching the sopranos right now

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

numberoneposter posted:

mods?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

NotWearingPants posted:

corleone = lionheart

Holy poo poo, I never put this together... Wow.

Edit: This is one of my favourite Christmas movies, even though it has little to do with the holiday for anyone but me. My dad showed them all to me one year when he got the VHS box set as a gift, so I watch annually around this time (well, 1 and 2). Part 2 is one of the greatest sequels ever, but really, the book covers all of that stuff already, which definitely helps.

It's as if they made another film with the ACTUAL continuation of the plot and characters, rather than rehash everything for sequel's sake, like turning the second movie into a remake of the first :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 28, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In terms of classic gangster movies, the 1932 Scarface and The Public Enemy are awesome.

To 1930s audiences, Scarface was as violent as the remake was to 1980s audiences.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

numberoneposter posted:

I'm like fuckin' Rockford over here.

Has anybody ever read Corleone by F. Marion Crawford? Some of his short stories are great, and apparently it's one of the earliest novels dealing with the mafia. It was written in the 1890s.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Godfather was on TV last night and I turned it on at a good scene.

"Do you renounce Satan? And all his works. And all his pomps?"

Although both in the book and in the movie the assassination of the police captain (played by a perfectly cast Sterling Hayden) is the one that sticks out the most in my mind from pretty much all Gangster stories.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

extra stout posted:

one of my favorite examples of foreshadowing in film is how around 6:07 sonny is out of focus in the background while his father is about to explain one day he might need a favor from the undertaker

also: one thing i've never heard explained: why did they have to dub the "i talked to barzini" line, and why was it so last second, rushed and poorly done? of the hundreds of things nerds have found when studying the godfather, this is the only one i can recall being noticeable when watching the first time, it's just a bad second of a great film

DOUBLE EDIT

here's the moment for anyone who doesn't remember it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj-r7ARXfSs

God that bothers me all the time too.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

gonna have to set aside some time to finally watch GF3

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
Someone gave my dad a Vito Corleone ornament for Christmas. It says different lines from the movie when you press a button.

Just a tiny little Marlon Brando forever yelling at me to act like a man

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

El Boot posted:

Someone gave my dad a Vito Corleone ornament for Christmas. It says different lines from the movie when you press a button.

Just a tiny little Marlon Brando forever yelling at me to act like a man

this is incredible

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Pretty good. Also liked Part II.

Now I want some Godfathers Pizza.

Santheb fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 28, 2016

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

He died with an orange in his mouth. He died looking silly.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Al Martino, who played Johnny Fonatine, used to live near me, and if I saw him in public and was driving by, I would scream out the window at him "You can act like a man!"

He would laugh and was totally cool about it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

This wasn't in the script, Marlon Brando put it in because the child actor wouldn't stop crying :3:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shaquin posted:

the book also has a bit too much stuff about Michael's nose injury (from when the police captain hits him in the face) making him have too much snot all the time and he was very upset about it

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this was my favorite scene from the godfather part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1-2k-tfjF4&t=13s

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Isn't there a goon named "War time consigliere"?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Never seen the Crapfather.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Earwicker posted:

the book also has a bit too much stuff about Michael's nose injury (from when the police captain hits him in the face) making him have too much snot all the time and he was very upset about it

No, it caused a tear duct or something to inconveniently leak, so one eye was constantly crying

He fixed it easily when he got back to the States

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

No, it caused a tear duct or something to inconveniently leak, so one eye was constantly crying

He fixed it easily when he got back to the States

In the movie, he was usually keeping a hankie in his hand.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He did in the book too, I'm pretty sure he use it to dab his eye while in Sicily but it disappears after he gets back to America. They drop a lot of stuff from the book but make indirect reference to it in the movie.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i just want to watch gangster movies all day

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Count Freebasie posted:

Al Martino, who played Johnny Fonatine, used to live near me, and if I saw him in public and was driving by, I would scream out the window at him "You can act like a man!"

He would laugh and was totally cool about it.

what year was this? and how many times did you do it? i wish i knew johnny fontane

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

he died spending time with his family. see above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Vito's death scene is probably the best cinematic death scene ever. It feels so goddamned real.

• Locked thread