Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Ketchup is just sugar paste and odds are your taste buds have just been inundated with sugar for your whole life. Seriously try cutting the sugar out for 2-3 weeks and see if you are still super gung-ho about ketchup on all your food after that. It has its place but the people who literally put it on everything they eat are kinda gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

if its so bad then why do they have it as an option? :smug:

I mean I've seen bars that have gross gimmick shots like Cement Mixers on the menu, so the answer is probably "because people with no taste buds will pay for it"

Technically getting the steak completely uncooked is an option too, but I wouldn't recommend it (unless it's like beef tartare or something)

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

'Cuz if someone wants to order well-done that lets you get rid of the not so nicely marbled stuff for the same price?

quote:

the answer is probably "because people with no taste buds will pay for it"

Pretty much.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Roylicious posted:

Ketchup is just sugar paste and odds are your taste buds have just been inundated with sugar for your whole life. Seriously try cutting the sugar out for 2-3 weeks and see if you are still super gung-ho about ketchup on all your food after that. It has its place but the people who literally put it on everything they eat are kinda gross.

a day without ketchup is like a day without sunshine. :clint:

Kelp Me! posted:

I mean I've seen bars that have gross gimmick shots like Cement Mixers on the menu, so the answer is probably "because people with no taste buds will pay for it"

Technically getting the steak completely uncooked is an option too, but I wouldn't recommend it (unless it's like beef tartare or something)

well if all chefs hate it then they should have never offered it in the first place :shrug:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I mostly see Americans with this opinion so maybe their ketchup is worse than ketchup elsewhere.

Like this "lol ketchup is sugar paste" thing, there are a lot of ketchups with no added sugar.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

well if all chefs hate it then they should have never offered it in the first place :shrug:

Technically all they ask is 'how do you want it done?'

Thoughtless posted:

I mostly see Americans with this opinion so maybe their ketchup is worse than ketchup elsewhere.

Like this "lol ketchup is sugar paste" thing, there are a lot of ketchups with no added sugar.

You're European (?) and you guys have fake ketchup and you dunno what you're talking about. Not trying to be rude it's just true Euro ketchup and US ketchup are basically entirely different things.

Also tomatos have sugar in them naturally so it's still pretty much sugar paste either way really yours just isn't as sweet.

e: besides Euros can't make a steak to save their lives anyway. it's universally too thin and overdone over there so yeah ofc you put ketchup on it.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 3, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
wghat im trying to say is that why is well done on the chart if its so terrible? why not just stop at medium well?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
the answer is because some people find it v tasty

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thoughtless posted:

wait

people who aren't american eat ketchup? :eyepop:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

the answer is because some people find it v tasty

If you're in a not-so-nice place the answer is so they can re-fire that overdone steak that has been sitting in the window for the last 30-40 minutes and get profit out of it versus tossing it.

Honestly it *is* possible to make a piece of meat well done and still have it be tasty and moist but it's preeeetty hard to do and most cooks assume it can't be done period. But if you're in a place so nice they can actually do you a good well-done, it's really a shame to actually order well-done because odds are the meat is so frickin' good and well marbled that you're really just missing out.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

i eat steak well done because thats what i've always done

*posted from my drive to whites only county club*

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i like to cook my steaks medium and then put a nice ketchup glaze on the top, toss that in the salamander, get a nice caramelzation and BON APE TIT

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
People who dont cook their meat all the way through prob have parasites.

"I took this steak off the grill only cooking it half way. Im super cultured"

How hipster of you

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i'm so mad guys, I think I'm melting down

I'm melting down right in this thread!!!!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

loquacius posted:

wait

people who aren't american eat ketchup? :eyepop:

Yes but ours has less sugar, more tomatoes and more other spices.

I never actually knew that euro and US ketchups were different before this thread so :thumbsup:

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

TheLightPurges posted:

People who dont cook their meat all the way through prob have parasites.

"I took this steak off the grill only cooking it half way. Im super cultured"

How hipster of you

Okay okay, but I'll counter you with "people who need every piece of meat they eat charred to a tasteless mass are just pathetic scared toddlers who might as well just stick to jars of baby food if they're too scared to eat like an adult."

Okay now your turn again.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

bag em and tag em posted:

Okay okay, but I'll counter you with "people who need every piece of meat they eat charred to a tasteless mass are just pathetic scared toddlers who might as well just stick to jars of baby food if they're too scared to eat like an adult."

Okay now your turn again.

live and let live, people enjoying a nice delciious well done steak with a ketchup infused reduction is none of your business

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

According to the USDA, the definition of well-done meat is "gray-brown throughout; firm"

if that sounds like what a steak should look and feel like to you I dunno what to tell you :v:

e: I mean if you're ok with cooking a $15 cut of meat to the point where it looks and tastes like a Hungry Man Salisbury Steak TV dinner more power to you, but lol at the idea that cooking it properly is some hipster ideal and not the universally recognized best way to enjoy the meat

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 3, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kelp Me! posted:

According to the USDA, the definition of well-done meat is "gray-brown throughout; firm"

if that sounds like what a steak should look and feel like to you I dunno what to tell you :v:

e: I mean if you're ok with cooking a $15 cut of meat to the point where it looks and tastes like a Hungry Man Salisbury Steak TV dinner more power to you, but lol at the idea that cooking it properly is some hipster ideal and not the universally recognized best way to enjoy the meat

idk i met alot of hipsters that would eat well done steaks ironically :rolleyes: with no ketchup either ugh idiots

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

idk i met alot of hipsters that would eat well done steaks ironically

that seems more along the lines of hipster behavior tbh, I believe it

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Imagine being so impatient for your food that you only cook it 1/3rd-1/2 the time necessary. Possibly ingesting parasites. And then bragging about it. Its childish.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

TheLightPurges posted:

Imagine being so impatient for your food that you only cook it 1/3rd-1/2 the time necessary. Possibly ingesting parasites. And then bragging about it. Its childish.

i literally cant

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheLightPurges posted:

imagine having so little concept of good meat that you can literally eat a charcoal brick fill with gray mystery meat and call it tasty

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I would probably kill myself if I grew up with some of your people, I'm just imagining you all yelling at your kids after they put some ketchup on their fries.

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
on fries i just yell, on steak they get the belt

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
lol im not letting little hayden have anything fried or any sugar becasue i am a hippy piece of s that likes to huff their own farts up here in the west coast

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:allears: The same people who mock picky eaters can't even handle a well done steak with ketchup themselves...

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
mayo is superior to ketchup for fry dipping.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

shoophobo posted:

Sorry that ketchup is too spicy for you.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

shoophobo posted:

If we're talking fries the ultimate treat is dipping them in a McD's chocolate shake :getin:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TheLightPurges posted:

Ketchup has 52 carefully balanced herbs and spices that took decades to perfect.

Hmmmmmm, source?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Malt vinegar, some salt and ketchup for fries.

I will fight you IRL, to defend the honor of my fries.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I don't have an opinion about the topic of the thread but my sister used to get slices of bread and put ketchup on them.

That's it.. that was her meal.

Ketchup bread. I still gag slightly when I think about it.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Panfilo posted:

:allears: The same people who mock picky eaters can't even handle a well done steak with ketchup themselves...

Its ridiculous. Like the second anything becomes more complicated than one flavor they flip out. My autistic cousin can handle a flavor profile like sweet/savory. Why can't these guys.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

kimbo305 posted:

Hmmmmmm, source?

heh. maybe read a book sometime?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

lol im not letting little hayden have anything fried or any sugar becasue i am a hippy piece of s that likes to huff their own farts up here in the west coast

I can't have meals with these people with foods that make them fart because im allergic to horsecum

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheLightPurges posted:

Its ridiculous. Like the second anything becomes more complicated than one flavor they flip out. My autistic cousin can handle a flavor profile like sweet/savory. Why can't these guys.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Does ketchup have a place as an ingredient when cooking?

Like as part of a sauce?

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

So they know which plate they can spit in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I absolutely hate the taste of food. I loving hate it. I need sugar on it to make it palatable. Food is poo poo!
my tongue has died a slow death
ketchup is the only way now

• Locked thread