Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

B. Birdsworth posted:

Doctor of Osteopathy
It means a doctor who graduated from a less competitive med school but paid more money to go there.
In addition to the standard medical curriculum they get training on "musculoskeletal manipulation" which is mostly 19th century hokum but most of them can give a p good massage.

DO is actually Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.

And yea, a good amount of the OMT we have to learn is bullshit. We know it's bullshit. Even the faculty says some of stuff they have to teach us is bullshit. There are some techniques that can be useful, but their benefits are often greatly overstated. They do come in handy when a lady friend complains that her back or shoulders are sore though.

The important thing to remember is that DOs get the same medical education as MDs, and most take the same board exams. Although, it's true that DO schools are more expensive in general, but that's because almost all of them are private. In practice though, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two if you didn't look at the initials after their name. Besides, other than the OMT faculty at my school, I've never met a DO who actually used it on a patient, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Stakeout
Apr 21, 2010
I think he became a chiropractor just to touch ur wife op

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Sunswipe posted:

But not a physical therapist that recommends chiropractors or acupuncturists.

OK, man who knows better than literal olympians

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
it works. encourage and support her

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

spending lots of time working out doesn't somehow make you an expert on anything

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

spending lots of time working out doesn't somehow make you an expert on anything

Yeah but the person who coaches said olympians and decided to hire this guy probably is an expert on something

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah but the person who coaches said olympians and decided to hire this guy probably is an expert on something

coaches are also not doctors

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

coaches are also not doctors

im a doctor

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

get a divorce because your wife is too dumb to go to a real doctor

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I have had a few decent experiences with chiropractors in Canada when I was younger and playing hockey and getting whiplash so that I couldn't turn my head without it locking up. I'm pretty sure my family doctor worked with them, certainly never warned me against going to one. That being said, I would never let my own kid go get their neck cracked like that, it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Are there different standards between countries? I have never come across a chiro selling crystals or magic oils.

Edit: there are also people who work from home near where I live who call themselves chiropractors but have no medical training or license. They work on German/Russian immigrants, who don't want to go to real doctors.

Carwash Cunt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 6, 2016

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I was given excellent advice for my bad back by a physiotherapist. A treatment course based on actual :science: and it worked well.

I've read of cases of people being paralysed for life by chiropractors. Tell your wife you won't be looking after no vegetable, OP.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

I didn't know you could specialize in shitposting!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

BigBadSteve posted:

I was given excellent advice for my bad back by a physiotherapist. A treatment course based on actual :science: and it worked well.

I've read of cases of people being paralysed for life by chiropractors. Tell your wife you won't be looking after no vegetable, OP.

What treatment was that?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

gently caress da Mods posted:

it works. encourage and support her

I need anecdotes bro

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i couldnt find any posts on this: but did you know in america chiropractors are actually in a huge union/club and they openly let doctors know that to join it you have to agree that vaccines cause autism

it is absolutely a fake science and a scam

they've killed infants

they claim you can adjust the bones of children to reduce their odds of getting a cold

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chinese Stakeout posted:

I think he became a chiropractor just to touch ur wife op

Who wouldn't? She's hot, but broken from all the goons loving her.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

extra stout posted:

it is absolutely a fake science and a scam

they've killed infants

they claim you can adjust the bones of children to reduce their odds of getting a cold

See above. Harmful enough on their own, but the symptoms that might lead someone to visit a 'chriopractor' can be indicative of serious circulatory or nervous system problems culminating in premature death.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
The military/DoD actually has chiropractors. I was referred to one while in the Army years ago for a visit. It seemed to help because I was fine for awhile after.

Current day, I occasionally see a chiropractor. I was having miserable headaches constantly and lower back pain. First visit, the chiropractor had me perform some physical tests then referred me to the hospital for x-rays. She adjusted my neck twice and the headaches have disappeared.

I go to an actual doctor for the lower back which has turned out to be a herniated disc. I'm waiting for them to schedule me for the injection so I can begin physical therapy. The chiropractor helps with pain management. Someone on here said its like heroin and they're correct. The relief is great but also temporary. Also, my chiropractor is cute as is her assistant so it's an added bonus.

Long story short, have your wife do some research. A good chiropractor can compliment regular health care. If they try selling her magic beans and poo poo then bounce. She should definitely contact an actual doctor as well. As far as costs, my health insurance covers my chiropractor visits so thats something to look into.

E: Not an endorsement of chiropractors, just giving my experience. I've hsd two good experiences and I believe people have had lovely ones. There's some pros and equal if not more cons/risk to weigh..

AutomaticPrince fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 6, 2016

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had good results from my chiropractor but if I were to do it again I'd go to a physical therapist

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AugmentedVision posted:

Pretty much everyone? Ok, if you want to know about running, then Usain Bolt is probably the guy to ask. But when I want to know about healing my body, trained medical professionals who don't believe in voodoo are probably a better bet to listen to than some aquatic pothead.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AutomaticPrince posted:

The military/DoD actually has chiropractors. I was referred to one while in the Army years ago for a visit. It seemed to help because I was fine for awhile after.

Current day, I occasionally see a chiropractor. I was having miserable headaches constantly and lower back pain. First visit, the chiropractor had me perform some physical tests then referred me to the hospital for x-rays. She adjusted my neck twice and the headaches have disappeared.

I go to an actual doctor for the lower back which has turned out to be a herniated disc. I'm waiting for them to schedule me for the injection so I can begin physical therapy. The chiropractor helps with pain management. Someone on here said its like heroin and they're correct. The relief is great but also temporary. Also, my chiropractor is cute as is her assistant so it's an added bonus.

Long story short, have your wife do some research. A good chiropractor can compliment regular health care. If they try selling her magic beans and poo poo then bounce. She should definitely contact an actual doctor as well. As far as costs, my health insurance covers my chiropractor visits so thats something to look into.

E: Not an endorsement of chiropractors, just giving my experience. I've hsd two good experiences and I believe people have had lovely ones. There's some pros and equal if not more cons/risk to weigh..

Isn't cost why they are still in business in 2016? I can rub my wife's lower back and downward.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Donkey punch her during sex

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

She shouldn't go to a chiropractor or a DO to get her back cracked. She should do exercises and stop being fat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

AugmentedVision posted:

The person who coaches olympians is an athlete and not a doctor, unless they coach women's gymnastics in which case they are a pedophile and not an athlete.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Believe In Yrself Betty posted:

Donkey punch her during sex

Erry Sunday

subhuman filth posted:

She shouldn't go to a chiropractor or a DO to get her back cracked. She should do exercises and stop being fat.

So how was she?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

extra stout posted:

they've killed infants

Tbf if the parent is stupid enough to believe that poo poo, than the infant is probably not long for this world anyway.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Sunswipe posted:

Pretty much everyone? Ok, if you want to know about running, then Usain Bolt is probably the guy to ask. But when I want to know about healing my body, trained medical professionals who don't believe in voodoo are probably a better bet to listen to than some aquatic pothead.

Yeah dude cupping is total voodoo, increasing blood flow to tissues doesn't speed recovery, nope.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

AugmentedVision posted:

Yeah dude cupping is total voodoo, increasing blood flow to tissues doesn't speed recovery, nope.

your a loving moron, all cupping does is burst capillaries

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AugmentedVision posted:

Whoa, hickeys do make things better?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

AugmentedVision posted:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AugmentedVision posted:

I've only been on SA a few months so I need to ask: is pretending to be retarded AugmentedVision's gimmick? I'd hate to think I'm trying to argue with someone who's playing a role.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

I've only been on SA a few months so I need to ask: is pretending to be retarded AugmentedVision's gimmick? I'd hate to think I'm trying to argue with someone who's playing a role.

if it is an act he never drops it. so either he gets a lot of satisfaction out of making people think he is retarded or else he is retarded and his caretaker is negligent enough to allow him on the internet.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Dreddout posted:

Tbf if the parent is stupid enough to believe that poo poo, than the infant is probably not long for this world anyway.

Chiro in the morning, yoga in the afternoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ihdsjIqhI

LiteraryDouble
Nov 28, 2014

Hello friends.
Friends married sisters, daughters of a chiropractor.

They've each produced children, who they are not allowed to vaccinate, or the wife will leave them and take the kids - on the chiropractor parent's orders.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So my *hot* wife has a back pack heater on and had ice earlier. She says a friend did a chrio and it worked. Need more linkable refutation asap.

E daddy needs an AV, not a summer home for a "Dr "

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if your wife believes in anecdotal evidence and is otherwise unwilling to do any research of her own,

get a divorce because your wife is too dumb to go to a real doctor

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Itt dunning Kruger

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

AugmentedVision posted:

Itt dunning Kruger

Brb googling

E ok, idgi

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 6, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Burt Sexual posted:

Brb googling

E ok, idgi

I've had 4 shoulder surgeries, been in rehab after all of them (all of this is obviously with actual medical professionals), and done so much research on the subject of athletic injury prevention and management that there are probably very few people who aren't medical professionals who know more than me. I do not dismiss anything with a plausible mechanism of action -- there is simply no way to know if these things work or if they're placebo, and unfortunately due to the nature of them, you can't do a double-blind trial.

Goons with nowhere near this amount of knowledge or experience are dismissing poo poo with 100% confidence.

That said, I would be very nervous about some chiro violently cracking my back. My chiropractor doesn't do that, he does soft tissue work and very mild adjustments. Tell your wife to go to a real doctor or physical therapist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
And obviously stay the gently caress away if the chiro your wife wants to go to has any insane magic crap on his/her website or whatever

• Locked thread