Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Wow with vr built in this is so exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Am I the only sick gently caress that would buy a Lumia with Win 10 ? I'd like to stay with the evil corporation that I'm used to.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
all phones are basically the same, your kidding yourself if you think otherwise

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Rutibex posted:

all phones are basically the same, your kidding yourself if you think otherwise

not my iphone, its better

Woden
May 6, 2006

yogizh posted:

Am I the only sick gently caress that would buy a Lumia with Win 10 ? I'd like to stay with the evil corporation that I'm used to.

Same but Ubuntu Phone, unironically. :shrek:

Woden fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 6, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Bumping because I preordered the Pixel 32g in Quite Black 😅

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly I'd be interested if OS X and iOS weren't so married to each other

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
when i saw it teased i was like cool ill buy one in a few months when they are a little cheaper

nah 1000-1200AUD

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

when i saw it teased i was like cool ill buy one in a few months when they are a little cheaper

nah 1000-1200AUD

Might I recommend an iPhone 4??

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
dude thats >double what the last nexus cost here

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't a Nexus. This is the new hotness.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you know that old dude still using a nokia brick in 2016

thats gunna be me in 20 years but my s5

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I just wish they would make a phone that sounds as good as a land line, that's the phone I want to buy. I couldn't really give a poo poo about the camera.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I need a new phone which one should I get? I'm still on an s3 (lol I know) and I'm not getting the pixel phone

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

underage at the vape shop posted:

you know that old dude still using a nokia brick in 2016

thats gunna be me in 20 years but my s5

I don't know that dude, I haven't seen one of those phones since 2003.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is my current phone. will this new Google Pixle be compatible with my current leather phone holster? it really completes my look

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I just wish they would make a phone that sounds as good as a land line, that's the phone I want to buy. I couldn't really give a poo poo about the camera.

that would be an iphone with wifi calling, actually it sounds better than that and it automatically just works whenever you are at home/work/connected to wifi

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yeah i started using wi-fi calling because i don't get a great cellular signal at my house and the quality is quite good so now i just leave it on always

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
Nobody talkin about the most important thing which is the GB's

I bought the iphone with the most GBs and it make it cost way more?

is the memory that much more expensive

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pixel phone isn't waterproof

A shameful phone

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

xjohnson posted:

Nobody talkin about the most important thing which is the GB's

I bought the iphone with the most GBs and it make it cost way more?

is the memory that much more expensive

Apple's business model is to make the high capacity phones unappealing to customers because iCloud subs are loving cash money in the bank booooyyyyy$$$$$$$$$$

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I think the pixels being $Crazy will make the 5X have more value, since the divide in cost is narrow.

Looking at Swappa it trended down, until the price of the Pixel was leaked, and then it's marching back up. I can probably get $250 for it.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

FedEx Mercury posted:

Apple's business model is to make the high capacity phones unappealing to customers because iCloud subs are loving cash money in the bank booooyyyyy$$$$$$$$$$

which is why you always get the 64GB version or larger cmon son

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

MMF Freeway posted:

I need a new phone which one should I get? I'm still on an s3 (lol I know) and I'm not getting the pixel phone

I just traded in my old s2 for an s7 (not the edge version) a few weeks ago. Camera quality was the most important criterion for me, and the s7 takes really great low light pictures. The LG G5 is a good choice too, but doesnt have the same low light performance as the s7. That said, the G5 has an additional wide screen camera if youre into that.

Pixel seems ok, i just prefer the s7 camera and physical Home button.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've decided i'm not going to spend over 100 bucks on a phone anymore and all it needs to do is calls, texts, and a little web browsing. this >$600 poo poo is ridiculous if you don't care about it being a status symbol

more updates to come - stay tuned!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why do Google and Verizon love each other so much and make smooches all the time, I'd be interested in this but I hate Verizon

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

i've decided i'm not going to spend over 100 bucks on a phone anymore and all it needs to do is calls, texts, and a little web browsing. this >$600 poo poo is ridiculous if you don't care about it being a status symbol

more updates to come - stay tuned!

Welcome to my life; have fun with random restarts, text messaging issues, freezing / crashing, and overheating.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i domt even know why you would willingly buy a galaxy 7 at this point. like now instead of just breaking in 7 months in its a risk of lithium fires.

yet samsung has managed to convince me through years of garbage products that it doesn't even matter if your poo poo will break in a year, people actually like that because its an excuse to buy more poo poo

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

med school head posted:

which is why you always get the 64GB version or larger cmon son

yeah i love paying hundreds more dollars for extra flash memory that probably costs literal pennies to manufacture

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

Why do Google and Verizon love each other so much and make smooches all the time, I'd be interested in this but I hate Verizon

You can buy it unlocked from Google and it works on almost any carrier.

In fact Verizon won't even subsidize it, they give you the option to buy it piece wise over 24 months.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bardeh posted:

yeah i love paying hundreds more dollars for extra flash memory that probably costs literal pennies to manufacture

Ur already paying a markup on everything else

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Unfortunately Verizon does not allow WiFi calling on phones that they don't sell in their store. Ask me about having a Nexus 5x and not being "allowed" to use WiFi calling.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

a bone to pick posted:

Welcome to my life; have fun with random restarts, text messaging issues, freezing / crashing, and overheating.

lol you buyght a bad phone

still rockin my moto x. never used a case, still works good as new. let me tell you how i have never owned another phone for 2+ years and had it still function flawlessly i am starting to wonder if it is haunted or some poo poo

one of those moments of clarity when u see the path in front of you littered with the cracked PCBs, broken solder, and poorly designed screen mountings of the poo poo garbage that fills the market at higher price points and you know, fully and confidently, that someone actually designed this to function

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a lovely phone and now women won't date me.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have a note 4, it works fine and hasn't exploded my nuts off yet so I don't see any reason to switch for a long time

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i used to think that a phone being in your pocket every day would eventually gently caress it up because the stress of being in your pocket over years of use puts enough minor torsion on it that eventually breaks internal solder connections. every phone i've owned has failed in this way, some internal component failing due to too much flex and getting progressively beat to poo poo staying entirely in my jeans pocket

not the moto x tho. 3 years and it is still rock solid. that is not a figure of speech i mean the thing has physically not been weakened by 3 years of use and doesnt bend or twist unlike basically every other phone ive owned especially after years of ownership

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FedEx Mercury posted:

You can buy it unlocked from Google and it works on almost any carrier.

In fact Verizon won't even subsidize it, they give you the option to buy it piece wise over 24 months.

My S6 Active works just fine though, so I can't justify paying $650 for a newer shinier phone, and I don't think I can even trade it in for credit without "upgrading" to a time-bomb or headphone-jack-less piece of poo poo (I'm on AT&T so I think those are basically my choices)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

I don't know, but I imagine it has to do with the fact that it's easy to release an unlocked GSM phone themselves that works on AT&T and T-Mobile, but Verizon (even though required by the FCC to) doesn't play nicely with non-carrier purchased and locked down phones.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
lol if you spend more than $200 on a phone and extra fuckin lol if you take out a line of credit or lease one

yeah let me carry around some poorly made mass produced device with a wildly inflated MSRP that you actually don't own in any fashion yet are 100% liable for and pray that it doesn't self destruct before your contract is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't know, but I imagine it has to do with the fact that it's easy to release an unlocked GSM phone themselves that works on AT&T and T-Mobile, but Verizon (even though required by the FCC to) doesn't play nicely with non-carrier purchased and locked down phones.

the problem with verizon is you gotta to one of their stores to activate a device or change your service or a large number of things that don't require a visit to the store for GSM networks. this really isn't that big of a deal except for the fact that like every cell phone store they hyper-aggressively try to sell you things and will go as far as to brazenly lie to your face about what is possible or how much things cost to get you to spend your money on poo poo you didn't ask for. its worse than other carriers though.

its not even from a corporate angle, like the underpaid 20-something at the verizon store is the one trying to push that poo poo on you and they know they can get away with it because of how insular verizon products are. the fact that verizon stuff basically only works on verizon means that people honestly don't even know how this poo poo works, and they probably don't even care because verizon has the best network coverage

• Locked thread