Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well im not typically eating pizza off the floor either it's a give and take thing u kno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 206 days!)

Moridin920 posted:

well im not typically eating pizza off the floor either it's a give and take thing u kno

floorpizza? more like floorpizzaz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ2GsQKYmvM

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Bona with the washable cloth head and the built-in squirt bottle for when you hit something sticky. Just as good, less repeat cost.

I do use Swiffers to dust, though. They're like any other duster, maybe a little better cause they have that static cling going on and you can throw away all your filthy skin flakes when you're done.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Toadvine posted:

How do you dust

With a duster?

Moridin920 posted:

yeah cuz the detergent you use in the bucket instead is just peachy right lol

Diluted vinegar.

It seems reasonably straight forward to me that discarding one or two swiffy pads every time you mop is much more wasteful than the few drops of cleaner a normal person would use. but I am not a scientist so who knows lol

but i bet most people here also go through a roll of paper towels a week instead of cycling through (washing) a few dish rags every month so just go a head and add a few swiffer pads to your monthly pile of waste i mean what ever

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Neutrino posted:

Swiffer does not work very good on dried poo poo. For that you have to use a scrub brush and hot water with Ammonia.

Dry swiffers are essentially useless. They just push stuff around that you eventually need to pick up with a dust pan. So I just use a broom/dust pan. The wet ones might be a little better but corners still suck.

Bubsy 3-D 2 Deep 4 Me posted:

One time I got really drunk and went to Swiffer the floors, and I put all of my weight on the handle to support my drunken, stumbling self, and snapped the handle. Keep this in mind, op. A swiffer won't offer you the support you need.

This is a problem I have worried about, no booze required. If you actually have to scrub something with the swiffer, there would probably be a good chance of breaking the cheap thing in half.

My current problem is that my kitchen is probably fake wood laminate. And it isn't very big. I've been wanting to get a regular push wet mop but it might be overkill. It would take far more time preparing it then the 30 seconds it would take to mop it.

Overkill mop vs mop that doesn't really work well.

Oh, oh what shall I do? :(

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

other people posted:

With a duster?

You're just moving the dust around. I want it gone

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Toadvine posted:

You're just moving the dust around. I want it gone

I don't think you know how dusters work.

Also the bus I am in just broke down and I am going to be late home to dinner :/ gently caress

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

other people posted:

It seems reasonably straight forward to me that discarding one or two swiffy pads every time you mop is much more wasteful than the few drops of cleaner a normal person would use. but I am not a scientist so who knows lol

you're probably right i'm just being an rear end. i use a mop at home anyway.

the swifters are super annoying because I can never get them to actually stay on the pushbroom thing for very long and it is annoying. half the time I end up just using my foot to push the wet pad around. maybe I'm doing it wrong somehow but if so they should be easier to figure out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
But the commercials make it seem so easy. :ohdear:

No, that's what generally happens. It always starts falling apart halfway through or gets so dirty so fast that you have to push the wet gross poo poo that it picked up into a pile and throw it away. Just like a dry one, but nastier.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
As usual, the tools our forebears used to do basic loving poo poo are generally much more suited to the task than whatever new flimsy disposable gimmick some company thought up to get people to consume consume consume and make them a bunch of money.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Our forebears lived abhorrent unhygienic lives and were also dumber than you and I.

Shorter lifespans was one thing they got right

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I live in Ireland and my floor is made of dirt so using one of these things actually makes matters way worse.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

everything in my house is carpeted

i cannot mop carpet, yet i am still able to clean it

tile and hardwood do not have properties that will make them get dirtier than carpet does

just use a broom, if that doesn't get it clean enough stop throwing so much poo poo on the floor

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Bubsy 3-D 2 Deep 4 Me posted:

One time I got really drunk and went to Swiffer the floors, and I put all of my weight on the handle to support my drunken, stumbling self, and snapped the handle. Keep this in mind, op. A swiffer won't offer you the support you need.
a swiffer lets you down in your time of need

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

tile and hardwood do not have properties that will make them get dirtier than carpet does

lol, i guess you have never pulled up old wall to wall carpet?

all the dust and dirt just work through to the flooring underneath.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Klyith posted:

there once was an ancient practice from before the dawn of the electronic age, where people wrote things down on small pieces of paper. they called them 'lists'.

Well then I'd have to remember to remember to bring the list when I go to the store.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Toadvine posted:

Our forebears lived abhorrent unhygienic lives and were also dumber than you and I.

Shorter lifespans was one thing they got right

That's true, which is why I defer to modern technology when it comes to complicated poo poo. But when it comes to cleaning a floor, I'm of the opinion innovation pretty much peaked with the invention of soap.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

lol, i guess you have never pulled up old wall to wall carpet?

all the dust and dirt just work through to the flooring underneath.

That's the landlord's problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FedEx Mercury posted:

That's the landlord's problem.

sure, but that's the property that makes hard floors get dirtier, or at least need more regular cleaning, than carpet. on a carpet a bunch of grime sieves down through, on hard floors it all just sits there.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You're preaching to the choir, I think carpets are for scumbags. I miss my hard tile floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

That's true, which is why I defer to modern technology when it comes to complicated poo poo. But when it comes to cleaning a floor, I'm of the opinion innovation pretty much peaked with the invention of soap.

The point of all this is to get your floors clean. Mops are not clean why would they do anything to help your floors.

I honestly don't even care about my floor being superbly sanitary I just want it to look and feel clean which a swiffer wet pad accomplishes handily.

• Locked thread