Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sagebrush posted:

agreeing with shaggar, surprisingly

that funky little thumb shuttle thing was really cool

this is true

mx master is the best you can buy new tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i bought a hundred dollar mouse

more axes == more better

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Glorgnole posted:

more axes == more better than

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

u should buy a hundred lb mouse op

thanks death adder for ripping this shape off completely

thdadder

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Glorgnole posted:

more axes == more better

i have one of these too

it's handy if you use the same machine every day and can get used to having it there

if you're swapping between different machines all the time you just say gently caress it and learn the native navigation shortcuts

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i have one of these too

it's handy if you use the same machine every day and can get used to having it there

if you're swapping between different machines all the time you just say gently caress it and learn the native navigation shortcuts

it's also a PITA to learn how to use accurately. i'm still not very good at moving in fewer than ~two axes at once.

i also got it as a controller for teleoperated 6DOF things but i have yet to use it in that particular application!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

people who have them to sell tend to charge way more than $100 for one of those

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Did you buy the $100 mouse yet, OP?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

this serial Genius Generic Mouse has virtually identical feel to the later Symbolics mouse, despite the latter being manufactured by Logitech (early Symbolics mouse was Mouse Systems)

conveniently speaks Mouse Systems protocol too so it's trivial to interface to just about anything

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

people who have them to sell tend to charge way more than $100 for one of those

you really, really need to make a big effortpost about your symbolics gear

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mx master would be cool if it were wired

wireless peripherals that never move more than 5 inches in their lifetime are dumb

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

mx master would be cool if it were wired

wireless peripherals that never move more than 5 inches in their lifetime are dumb

you can just leave the usb cable plugged in...?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

you can just leave the usb cable plugged in...?

does it actually transfer data over usb when you do that?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wireless mice are great for an office if you have a laptop, just pick up the mouse when you grab your laptop to go to a conference room or w/e, no cable to unplug and wrap up

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

probably not

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

probably not

:colbert:

i really wish the current trend wasn't wireless everything with sick leds

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

more axes == more better

I used one of these at work one time and they are legit cool for flying around google maps and poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The best desktop mouse is still the Logitech g9 uber leet gamer mouse

I use it because it has a noticeably higher precision than any wireless mouse I've used, not just in games, but in design stuff like Photoshop and Solidworks. Moving a single pixel is more reliable and repeatable. recent wireless models like the anywhere MX are pretty good too, but still not up to the level of a wired mouse with an ultrahigh report rate

I've had that same mouse since 2009 and have replaced the nonreplaceable cord on it twice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Iridium posted:

i used to use a RAT7 and for as ugly and weird as they look it was comfortable as gently caress

ur goddamn right. also the laser is really finicky but it works on my desk so whatevs.

Bloody posted:

ya the RAT7 has a dual laser setup, one for X one for Y, and the Y one frequently freaks out. this happens to everybody

the RAT9 doesnt have the issue and there may be some other new version(s) that also dont have the issue.

these mice are comfortable as gently caress even if they look like ridiculous gamer garbage

yep. doesn't the rat9 use weird proprietary batteries tho? that's what scares me off from getting one.

this is the one I use at work because I'm afraid the jocks at work would make fun of me for the rat7

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Oh idk I thought there was a higher wired model

works well enough for me just gotta bang on it once a month or so. also it gets grimy easily so that takes some minimum level of attention

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
the best thing is the big pinkie shelf for those of us with plus-sized hands

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

rotor posted:

the best thing is the big pinkie shelf for those of us with plus-sized hands

rotor's massive dilz: confirmed

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
G402 hyperion fury here. My G400 kicked the bucket and logitech sent me a G402 as a warranty replacement. Pretty good mouse. Scroll wheel button failed so they sent me a second G402.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am rocking a bigass trackball at work. it is needs suiting

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I miss my big ol Atari trackball

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

right now i'm using a tandy wired optical mosue that i bought for $7

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
really liked the g402 when i tried it in a store but the g403 looks far less shameful. not sure which one to get

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i kinda want to make one of those huge old fashioned trackballs that literally uses a 5-pin bowling ball as the interface

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

evidently these things are the trackball of choice for the grognardy ur-sperg model-m crowd

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

those look nice

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

srsly though why can't i buy an electrocuff for my finger or wherever so i can control a mouse cursor with barely-perceptible twitching

i will also accept a thing that i have to stick to my head so tha ti can move a mouse cursor with the power of my mind

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SO DEMANDING posted:

evidently these things are the trackball of choice for the grognardy ur-sperg model-m crowd

Life testing indicates that this unit may outlive most users. It, most probably, will be the last pointing device you will ever need to buy.

hail stan!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

srsly though why can't i buy an electrocuff for my finger or wherever so i can control a mouse cursor with barely-perceptible twitching

i will also accept a thing that i have to stick to my head so tha ti can move a mouse cursor with the power of my mind

just use an arduino and make one, there are boards that have USB HID packages, including one with an 84 MHz ARM Cortex-M3 you could do reasonable number crunching on if needed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think the real trick there is gonna be getting electromyographic data that's clean enough and repeatable enough to use for pixel-precision movement. on an HD display that's about +/-0.05%

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

duTrieux. posted:

because this is hard

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

probably because almost nobody makes a centered trackball that isnt slowly being phased out. i looked at them too before logitech messed up a replacement and sent me the discontinued wireless trackball, which has the best hand shape and multiple buttons. i am now a discontinued trackball fan and it is weird and i see them priced like antiques on sites because every time a trackball is discontinued the users buy them like fallout shelter supplies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yes but its stupid cause why have a wire when you can not have a wire instead.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SO DEMANDING posted:

I have one of those, a spare, and a bunch of spare parts. They are indeed good. If you care more about durability than sensor or expandability, get the CH DT225. It's truly the Model M (or even Model F?) of trackballs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

yes but its stupid cause why have a wire when you can not have a wire instead.

why have a battery when you can not have a battery instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

why have a battery when you can not have a battery instead

why post when you can not post instead

• Locked thread