Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
It would be fun to go into a black hole and back out a white hole. You'd get to fly around and make things out of crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

guns for tits posted:

Solipsism sucks

im projecting some real negativity today

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
black holes produce radiation therefore they have to exist somehow even if we can't directly observe anything beyond the event horizon bc those particles have to come from somewhere QED

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bitch we can use gravity as a loving extendo-scope for our telescopes and you think we can't figure out that there's 'something' in a black hole by observing gravitational effects smdh

Faffel fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 22, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

black holes produce radiation therefore they have to exist somehow even if we can't directly observe anything beyond the event horizon bc those particles have to come from somewhere QED

where do the virtual particles from random quantum fluxuations come from?

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
if you ate a black hole would it come out of your butt hole

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
if it got stuck you would have a black but hole

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
and it would suck in poop

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
virtual particles are exchanged by ordinary particles, they transfer the momentum and whatever of the particles

i think

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol just lol when commie Ned flanders makes a thread attempting to inject philosophy into science.

"yeah but you don't really KNOW that, did you see it with your own eyes? does anything really exist? im just asking the questions science won't!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It is fine and accurate to say what happens within the event horizon can't be directly observed in the sense that we can't see into it and we can't send a probe into it and get information back. This is also accurate of the centers of stars and a large number of other physical/astrophysical processes. They are instead observed through the effects they produce. For example, we know fusion is occurring in the center of the sun, because we see the energy it releases (among other pieces of evidence). With black holes, we know that they formed from something. It is a bit of an open question (note: this does NOT mean that scientists have "no idea", it means there are too many ideas and there is no consensus yet) how the supermassive black holes in the center of most galaxies form, but we know that massive stars can collapse to form smaller ones following a supernova.

Since they are the most well-understood, for the stellar-mass black holes, in your mind where do you think the mass from the progenitor star went? It has to go somewhere. You keep bringing up some vague spacetime "tears" or whatever, but why do you need to invoke those when there's a much simpler model that already explains the black hole's existence?

You are getting ahead of yourself by skipping the question of "what was there before the black hole" and missing the obvious answer. The fact that physics within a singularity aren't understood doesn't imply that "the bigass star that was there before it collapsed to form it" didn't happen.

Also your other question is mostly semantics. If you are asking if we know of everything that exists, obviously the answer is no, but there are several theories.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Friginator posted:

It would be fun to go into a black hole and back out a white hole. You'd get to fly around and make things out of crystal.

Actually you'd be ripped apart into your component subatomic particles, white holes just emit an undifferentiated stream of cosmic cum.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Oh yeah? Well, there's a little film called "Godzilla Versus Spacegodzilla" which disproves your theory.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Commie NedFlanders posted:

that's a good question but according to positivist logic, a thing cannot be said to exist unless there is empirical (observable) evidence of it

loathing

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

that's a good question but according to positivist logic, a thing cannot be said to exist unless there is empirical (observable) evidence of it

but according to a dead gay philosophy from the interwar years that attempted to make philosophy relevant again by painting it as basically science,

FAAAAAART

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

it's us

we're in the black hole

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Friginator posted:

Oh yeah? Well, there's a little film called "Godzilla Versus Spacegodzilla" which disproves your theory.

I just wanted an excuse to say "cosmic cum". :gizz:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
My astrophysics professor was asked this question. His response was "You could think of the singularity as a knot of solid gravity."

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

our whole universe is composed of space-time eddy currents on the 3-dimensional event horizon of a 4- or higher dimensional singularity and everything you know is a holographic projection of higher-order processes among virtual particles in the infinite final fall into oblivion

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

and how does a tear in spacetime affect this?

how else do you describe a singularity?

Excuse me but have we observed a tear in spacetime? Because if not, they don't exist

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 22, 2016

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE

So using positivist logic, 'nothing' must not exist because you cannot observe 'nothing'. There is no way to gather empirical evidence of nothing because by definition, nothing has no empirical evidence. Therefore nothing cannot exist and if nothing cannot exist then there must be something in a black hole.

Your king is in check, bitch.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

oh i'm sorry for asking big questions and thinking outside of the box, you know who else did that? ALBERT EINSTEIN

Actually Einstein kinda defined the box.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Would it be incorrect to say that within the black hole there exists a force of unobservable, immeasurable mass?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Flavor Truck posted:

Would it be incorrect to say that within the black hole there exists a force of unobservable, immeasurable mass?

Yes. You can measure the mass within a black hole very precisely.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yes. You can measure the mass within a black hole very precisely.

With what, light measurements? I thought you couldn't observe anything beyond the event horizon. How can you calculate the mass of something you can't observe?

Woden
May 6, 2006

Flavor Truck posted:

With what, light measurements? I thought you couldn't observe anything beyond the event horizon. How can you calculate the mass of something you can't observe?

Most stars are in binary or higher order systems, so you can figure it out from its companion star. Black holes can also have accretion discs which vary depending on their mass. Gravity waves can also be used now that we have a detector for them and you could probably use gravitational lensing too, but I've never heard of it being used.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yes it has mass. It's not literally a ring shaped hole with nothing inside. It's usually about the same as one of the stars that it used to be.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
my last gf was african/American so i guess my dicks been in a black hole AMA

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Flavor Truck posted:

By observing its gravitational effects. If you know the orbits of the star(s)/whatever around it, you can calculate the mass of the thing they are orbiting. The more accurately you know the orbit, the better your mass calculation. It's the same way we know the masses of planets - nobody's going around weighing the things. It works the other way around too when you're trying to find the mass of the central object. Like the sun for example, once we had the mass of earth (measured by observing what the force of gravity was on the surface), and the distance to the sun, calculating the sun's mass was trivial.

In reality there are more forces from other bodies in the system but the basic idea remains the same. The black hole at the center of the galaxy's mass was measured by observing the orbits of the stars around it.

e: also as the other poster pointed out there are other methods. I believe gravitational lensing has been used to estimate the masses of very large elliptical galaxies (and once you know the total mass you can estimate the supermassive black hole mass by subtracting the stellar mass), but it's fairly rare as far as I know, with the caveat this kind of stuff isn't my specialty so I don't keep up with the latest news on it too much. e2: after a quick check I think this is more commonly used to find galaxy cluster masses. Still, there's no reason it couldn't be used for an individual galaxy - it would just be much more difficult to observe.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 22, 2016

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

luv 2 date boys posted:

my last gf was african/American so i guess my dicks been in a black hole AMA

i assume that means your dick has been spaghettified, yes?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

once you go black you can't come back

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Some of them are monstrous in size :stonk: How can something like this exist !!?? How can the event horizon grow that much if the singularity is infinitely dense ? You just add more infinity to it ?

Something this massive must break the rules of our world, how can it not ?

People thought Hell was the scariest, but it's actually this thing. At least if I die on Earth, my atoms will be recycled in to other things, but in a black hole... you're not even in this Universe anymore

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
have we got to the god bait and switch yet

im going to save you some time flandrrs, god isn't real and when you die you will simply cease to be, leaving nothing but relieved relatives behind you

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

A universe may be inside each black hole.

Our universe may be inside a black hole.

Those universes can have black holes with universes inside them. Those universes may "inherit" laws and such from the parent universe, but be somewhat different, like DNA in people. This probably continues infinitely, like a fractal.

Each black hole has a barrier that prevents anything from entering, leaving, or detecting anything inside or outside.

It's like Schrodinger's cat... but imagine that instead of a box with a cat inside, the box contained a universe, and there's no way to ever open the box. The universe inside knows and is aware of everything that is happening to it, but to outside observers it's effectively nothing. In fact, that is what the number 0 is supposed to represent... not nothing, but a circle which encompasses the set of the entire universe, what is effectively nothing (a singularity).

Going beyond this, the universe is defined as an entire set of every possible thing that *could* happen. It's not until something is "detected" or "measured" by a CONSCIOUSNESS that the all the possibilities of what is being observed "collapse" into the outcome, but only in the area or spot that is being observed. There has actually been proven by a follow up to what is known as the "double slit" experiment called the "quantum eraser" experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=double+slit+quantum+eraser

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In a carbon crystal, occasionally, 50% of the time, you will have the convergence of three atoms at the same magnetic pitch in spacetime. This creates an inner event horizon that is not anarchic, a lunar body. Carbon and a frozen water core creating an anti-cyphon force. This decay is the membrane through which all carbon based life passes. The density of the carbon core earth through time is perpetuating an anti-cyphon as the conscious will to create memory at no entropic expense for anarcy and free will. Any amount of light can be returned into spacetime if it is not of conscious desire to be, so potential is only driven by a dream.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Black holes form like onions. First the gravitational field at the very center gets great enough that time stops there. Then as the black hole gains mass layers around the center freeze in time. The outermost layer is the event horizon. However what's interesting is that since time freezes at the event horizon, from an outside perspective we never actually see the outer layers finish forming. They just appear black because the strong gravity cause any light emitted by those areas to be very red-shifted.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ok help me out here. I am looking at a black sky with what appear to be a bunch of white.. holes. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :downs:

Black holes are all light emitting.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Maldoror posted:

A universe may be inside each black hole.

Our universe may be inside a black hole.

Those universes can have black holes with universes inside them. Those universes may "inherit" laws and such from the parent universe, but be somewhat different, like DNA in people. This probably continues infinitely, like a fractal.

Each black hole has a barrier that prevents anything from entering, leaving, or detecting anything inside or outside.

It's like Schrodinger's cat... but imagine that instead of a box with a cat inside, the box contained a universe, and there's no way to ever open the box. The universe inside knows and is aware of everything that is happening to it, but to outside observers it's effectively nothing. In fact, that is what the number 0 is supposed to represent... not nothing, but a circle which encompasses the set of the entire universe, what is effectively nothing (a singularity).

Going beyond this, the universe is defined as an entire set of every possible thing that *could* happen. It's not until something is "detected" or "measured" by a CONSCIOUSNESS that the all the possibilities of what is being observed "collapse" into the outcome, but only in the area or spot that is being observed. There has actually been proven by a follow up to what is known as the "double slit" experiment called the "quantum eraser" experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=double+slit+quantum+eraser

finally! I've been trying to get people to realize about fractals, gently caress

I mean, look at mountains. they are like cracks in rocks and poo poo. and water ripples, sound waves... same poo poo

or how little black cats look like panthers. same deal

i'm not sure how this shows how universes can be in black holes, but im not a physicist

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
you idiots black holes are just stars that were so loving big and awesome they hosed physics and made an inverted cone. it's like when you wake up with a boner and you can see it sticking through the sheets, except the boner is inverted like a vagina

and it will suck you in a nd tear you apart like most vaginas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zippy the Bummer posted:

finally! I've been trying to get people to realize about fractals, gently caress

I mean, look at mountains. they are like cracks in rocks and poo poo. and water ripples, sound waves... same poo poo

or how little black cats look like panthers. same deal

i'm not sure how this shows how universes can be in black holes, but im not a physicist

on that note, the universe is actually gods brain. check it out, on the left is a darkmatter map of galactic structure in the universe, the right is a brain scan of some neurons:

• Locked thread