Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Miryang is also the city of cultural tourist destination and superb cultural relics and picturesque places combined with beautiful nature

The inclusion of the word "also" really sells this slogan.

This game rules hard, and I'm already enjoying learning a little bit about Korean cities too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I was kind of hovering between Busan and Miryang, but it looks like Miryang has more space to work with due to lack of sea. Also, that slogan.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Miryang is also the city of cultural tourist destination and superb cultural relics and picturesque places combined with beautiful nature

The inclusion of the word "also" really sells this slogan.
I'd been wondering about that myself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What do they know that we don't? :tinfoil:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
How has nothing been chosen over six days? Two pages of voting? Odd.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

the map post posted:

Voting will go a few days because it's Christmas.

I assume it'll close in the next day or two.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Miryang

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Haifisch posted:

I assume it'll close in the next day or two.

Yeah that, also I've been grading a stack of papers and essay tests multiple inches thick so haven't bothered. But voting is closed! Results:

Daejeon 23
Cheongju 4
Busan 14
Miryang 18
Pyeongyang 1

It looks like It's Daejeon. :toot:

I will build an initial small village and start us off there while nursing my New Year's hangover. I have never actually been to Daejeon beyond the train station/passing through on the KTX so my version will not resemble reality. I am going to use the local dong names for districts though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Here is the honest to god no poo poo official city flag of Daejeon.

Daejeon in hanja is 大田, big field.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's got that mid/late-90s computer multimedia information hyperweb surfing hip chic to it. I like it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My favorite bit is the colors that don't quite fill in the gaps in the letters, and the green that goes outside the lines. For that "intern was paid $0 to make this" look.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It certainly rivals the city flag for Provo, Utah.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's Daejeon! is my favorite Klasky Csupo cartoon of the 90s.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

It certainly rivals the city flag for Provo, Utah.

That's literally the logo of a vitamin:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Grand Fromage posted:

Here is the honest to god no poo poo official city flag of Daejeon.

Daejeon in hanja is 大田, big field.

I love how the pronoun is so damnably big - It's like someone got really excited about something, but then realizes it's not what they hoped.

"IT'S.....aww. Daejeon"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Haifisch posted:

My favorite bit is the colors that don't quite fill in the gaps in the letters, and the green that goes outside the lines. For that "intern was paid $0 to make this" look.

I'm certain it was made in MSPaint and the person responsible was told to make the slogan/flag at most 30 minutes before they had to present it as a finished product.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

McKilligan posted:

I love how the pronoun is so damnably big - It's like someone got really excited about something, but then realizes it's not what they hoped.

"IT'S.....aww. Daejeon"

Like opening a booster pack of cities, or a christmas gift you already have.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
What are the flags for the other cities? I mean, Daejeon is going to be tough to top, but my curiosity has been piqued.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

McKilligan posted:

"IT'S.....aww. Daejeon"

It makes a good resigned expression, too.

*bus pulls away just as you walk up to it* "It's Daejeon"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What are the flags for the other cities? I mean, Daejeon is going to be tough to top, but my curiosity has been piqued.

Unfortunately none of the other ones are interesting at all. Daejeon is the only fun one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_South_Korean_flags

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Not related to the LP, but I've always enjoyed Pensacola Florida's hot mess of a flag:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd like everyone to have this in their head after each utterance of It's Daejeon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is Daejeon really that bad? Serious question here, never been to Korea and don't plan to at the moment (at least, not unless they open a whole load of halal restaurants).

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's (Always Sunny In) Daejeon

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Is Daejeon really that bad? Serious question here, never been to Korea and don't plan to at the moment (at least, not unless they open a whole load of halal restaurants).

Daejeon is just a generically forgettable Korean city. The only reason it attracts attention is expats find the slogan particularly funny for being so low effort and yet, somehow, accurate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Part 1: January, 1954

The Korean War ended after three years of brutal fighting up and down the entire Korean peninsula. Much of the countryside had been ravaged during the colonial period to feed the Japanese Empire's need for raw material, and the Korean War flattened just about everything else. Busan was the only city of any real importance to survive the war with little damage.

The area known as Daejeon was no exception. Located on routes to major military centers at Gunsan and Daegu, Daejeon had been rolled through by the North Koreans then rolled back through by the UN forces. Not much survived.

For Koreans though, getting steamrolled by neighbors using their country as a battlefield was hardly a new experience.

This time though, they had an advantage. The United States poured aid into the country, intending to rebuild it as a bulwark against the nearby communist hordes of the USSR, China, and North Korea.

The people of Daejeon got to work building a new city to replace what they lost.

So, here is Daejeon as it stands now. It is a single eup, an administrative division in South Korea that you could translate as uh. Village I suppose? Usually an eup is a lightly populated area within the orbit of a major city, but we're going to make Daejeon great again and turn it into the major city of the region. As districts become more urban they will transition from ri to eup to myeon to dong.

Things are too clean and the highway is really out of place but C:S requires it, so try to ignore such weirdness. President Syngman Rhee, a man after the coveted Worst Romanization Award, has given us the directive to make Daejeon a real city. The United States has generously provided a good amount of startup capital, which I'm sure will have no strings attached whatsoever.

Feel free to make other suggestions, but there are three main paths I can see. We can heavily expand farming. South Korea is experiencing serious famine, so more farms would be useful. We can invest in industrial production and start building some factories. The other option would be quality of life stuff, allow the town to grow a little bit but see if we can't find like, a doctor or something to live here.

The rivers here are also really swampy, it appears. We may want to think about flood control walls eventually.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Our quality of life is what sets us apart from the godless communists!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Our industrial production is what makes me rich sets us apart from the godless communists!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
North Korea had the industry. South Korea had the food. Expand the farming.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My only other city builder experience is setting up huge masses of castles and towers in age of empires 2, could you go over the mechanics of what the colours/icons mean in this game?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

My only other city builder experience is setting up huge masses of castles and towers in age of empires 2, could you go over the mechanics of what the colours/icons mean in this game?

Sure.

Green zones are residential. Light green is low density, think single family houses, while dark green is high density for big apartment buildings.
Blue is commercial. Again, light is low density (a gas station, maybe) while dark is high density (malls/skyscrapers).
Yellow is industrial. There's no density here, but industry has five categories. Generic, which makes factories. Oil extraction, ore mining, forestry, and farming are the specialized types.
Then there's uh... I'm partly colorblind but like a light blue/gray color? That's offices to employ the educated.

The floating icons you see on the map are all complaining about different issues. There's a lot of different types. They're things like needing garbage pickup, crime issues, bad healthcare, noise complaints, etc. The ones visible up there are need heat, need workers, and abandoned buildings.

The city currently has electricity because the game requires all buildings to be powered, but for the sake of planning we should behave as if there is no electricity or central water system right now.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Okay I'm already digging the narrative. Kinda curious how the behind the scenes stuff like the busted, stranded ships and the remnants of military bunkers were realized, but maybe some magic deserves to stay behind the scene.

Anyway, let us become the backbone of the region, a true foundation. Expand on farming, and grow from there.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

If we don't have food, no one will want to live here to work in the factories or be doctors or whatever.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Our Industrial capitalism is what makes us better than the Commies :911:

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Farming. Let's starrt with the basic needs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Farming. Start with the fundamentals and work your way up from there.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Walk before you try to run. Farming.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Grand Fromage posted:

Then there's uh... I'm partly colorblind but like a light blue/gray color? That's offices to employ the educated.

Could be worse. I always thought it was white.

Farming to feed your inevitable industrial workforce.

'Bread and circuses' should be in that order :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Juche demands we concentrate on industry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Paingod556 posted:

Could be worse. I always thought it was white.

Farming to feed your inevitable industrial workforce.

'Bread and circuses' should be in that order :colbert:
Wouldn't quality of life be 'circuses'?

Platystemon posted:

Juche demands we concentrate on industry!
HE'S A COMMUNIST SPY GET 'IM!

• Locked thread