Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I just can't get enough Gender.

Gender, gender, gender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

EorayMel posted:

Remember when you got banned by Ralp but then Ralp got banned :c00l:

i member

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

walgreenslatino posted:

no one has ever explained to me how to pronounce latinx out loud, and my assumption is it's because these people don't interact with others offline so it never occurred to them

[latinəks]

just like latino except you have an x

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Isn't the gender neutral for latino and latina latin?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Arrhythmia posted:

[latinəks]

just like latino except you have an x

It's spanish so the x is an h sound. Latin-eh.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
There was a cool study where a person got a bunch of Europeans to describe poo poo like bridges or keys etc. In the languages where keys were fem. they called them things like bright, shiny, but in languages where they're masc. people called them heavy, rusty or big. It makes it really hard to translate novels for English speakers where you're like why the gently caress am supposed to think a boulder is sleek and delicate because its a bouldera or whatever.

Also the German profession thing is because they're super anal about grammar and it's literally impossible to say someone is whatever without implying they have a schlong or vagoo for some jobs like not 'chairman' but 'possesses-a-uterus-cutter-of-hair' level.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hammerite posted:

I just can't get enough Gender.

Gender, gender, gender

Oh baby, I'm going to gender you up all night long. It's going to be the best gender you ever had.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I hear ya but I'm a straight male. There are other perspectives I wanted to learn about

The "latinx" is a good example, does this ever apply to other nouns in the Spanish language?

idk, did y9ou try asking someone who identifies as that

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If all they do is replace the ending with an x how are they gonna social justice words like dominatrix or gladiatrix or whatever? Checkmate

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I can barely remember people's names or faces, don't expect me to remember their gender too

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Maya Fey posted:

op I think you'll find that factory is feminine and toilet is masculine in the french language

in russian there are two words for factory and one is masculine and one is feminine. toilet is masculine

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

El papa: the Pope
La papa: the potato

People have died for mixing this poo poo up

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

poverty goat posted:

El papa: the Pope
La papa: the potato

People have died for mixing this poo poo up

rip the guy who mashed the pope

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I'm pretty sure "man" originally just meant human, you put a prefix before it to indicate that someone was male in the same way as "woman".
I recall reading somewhere that "man" is in fact gender-neutral and the original anglo-saxon terms were werman ("male-man") and wifman ("female-man"). Werman lost its prefix over time (although it survives in the word "werewolf) and wifman's prefix got corrupted to woman (although it survives in the word "wife").

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I am a proud Werman but only under the full moon, otherwise I'm a huge bitch and a loser

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In several aboriginal Australian languages the noun classes are male, female, neutral, and 'root vegetable', the last category is essentially for anything shaped like a dilz, not specifically things that grow underground, it's p funny

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The "man originally just meant human" theory isn't true, male human was always implicit and the double meaning likely comes from not caring about women.
Wermann would just be man twice in Old English.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Let us English posted:

Nuked as in deleted, not even gassed? Got a link? My review of the game angered 2k PR to the point where he had a Twitter meltdown and had to be fired. I would enjoy reading a mod meltdown along the same lines.

As for gendered nouns they are una problema grande. I wonder if there's a bunch of Spanish tumblrs ranting about them.

It's actually "un problema" because "problema" is a masculine word even though it has an a at the end. This happened with a bunch of Greek loan words and other weird edge cases like el programa, el idioma, el mapa, el tema, etc.

It's incredibly annoying and the only way to get around it is to have a really good understanding on the linguistic origins of words (which is pretty hard because Spanish loves loving with the spelling of old loanwords), memorize a really long list of exceptions, or spend years immersed in a culture where people already know what the exceptions are. It's annoying as gently caress, actually.

So gently caress gendered nouns. They don't add anything to the language besides a vague "poetic" quality and they make everything harder to learn. Also sexism, I guess, but mostly they're just stupid.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Better than irregular verbs tho

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

It's incredibly annoying and the only way to get around it is to have a really good understanding on the linguistic origins of words (which is pretty hard because Spanish loves loving with the spelling of old loanwords), memorize a really long list of exceptions, or spend years immersed in a culture where people already know what the exceptions are. It's annoying as gently caress, actually.

Gendered nouns own, they're an endless source of amusement when speaking with foreigners. And no one does any of that poo poo you're talking about. Lists of exceptions? Ha! I doubt there was even any rigorous reason, the noun gender is whatever makes the sentence sound better and it's self evident if you know how to speak the language. There are no debates about the gender of new loanwords, no one ever questioned the gender of "byte" or "motherboard".

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 17, 2017

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
there are 7 genders

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

MeLKoR posted:

Gendered nouns own, they're an endless source of amusement when speaking with foreigners. And no one does any of that poo poo you're talking about. Lists of exceptions? Ha! I doubt there was even any rigorous reason, the noun gender is whatever makes the sentence sound better and it's self evident if you know how to speak the language. There are no debates about the gender of new loanwords, no one ever questioned the gender of "byte" or "motherboard".

There are reasons for it even if native speakers don't know them. This is like linguistics 101 poo poo and not in the least bit controversial.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Let us English posted:

There are reasons for it even if native speakers don't know them. This is like linguistics 101 poo poo and not in the least bit controversial.

the cool thing about language is that nobody decided anything about it. it just ended up that way basically

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Let us English posted:

I doubt medieval peasants took the time to study the etymology of the latin/greek words they were gradually corrupting and assign it the proper gender. Any such rules were established a posteriori, people just went with whatever sounded better and it became such an integral part of the language that it sticks out as a sore thumb if you gently caress it up. poo poo just sounds wrong on an instinctual level.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

I doubt medieval peasants took the time to study the etymology of the latin/greek words they were gradually corrupting and assign it the proper gender. Any such rules were established a posteriori, people just went with whatever sounded better and it became such an integral part of the language that it sticks out as a sore thumb if you gently caress it up. poo poo just sounds wrong on an instinctual level.

no you dont get it, go learn basic linguistics

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Uh, actually a shitload of those words ending in -ma were taken from Greek and kept the gender they already had in Greek. Learn that rule and a lot of these weird nouns make sense suddenly.

Also every Spanish class I ever took had a short list of common masculine words that ended in -a and encouraged us to memorize them with the caveat that there were way more out there and you could really only learn them all by speaking the language for a while.

e: Native Spanish speakers literally learned all the same rules and memorized the same exceptions, they just did it when they were so young they don't remember it.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life

SHISHKABOB posted:

no you dont get it, go learn basic linguistics

don't quote white noise, you're better than that

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Too long to be white noise

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

MeLKoR posted:

You don't get it. Things sound better when following internalized rules, like adjective order in English.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Let us English posted:

You don't get it. Things sound better when following internalized rules, like adjective order in English.

Yeah, this is a good example. Most English speakers have no idea there are rules for what order adjectives go in, but every single one of us thinks "big green house" sounds right and "green big house" sounds wrong. A lot of hilarious Engrish comes from foreigners having no idea adjective order is even a thing.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
mrw someone misuses gender pronouns:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Good av material

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

e: Native Spanish speakers literally learned all the same rules and memorized the same exceptions, they just did it when they were so young they don't remember it.

Not spanish. I remember studying irregular verbs and other really basic stuff, I'm positive there was never any discussion about noun gender. I have no doubt "gender exception lists" are a thing for second language learners, all I'm saying is that I never even thought about gender nouns until I started talking with english speakers. I'm not saying that nowadays you can't group these things into some sort of pattern, all I'm saying is that there was no group of men going around telling peasants "no you dummy, it's 'o programa' not 'a programa', words got gendered however it made speaking flow more naturally. Since no one sat down and created the language all in one go new words got gendered in a way that "fit" naturally into the previous existing vocabulary.

Why does "bishop" have a completely different sound from "night"? Because that was how people started pronouncing it at some point, because it sounded better to them.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Has anyone said 'pronouns? mo' like noobnouns!' yet?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Not spanish. I remember studying irregular verbs and other really basic stuff, I'm positive there was never any discussion about noun gender. I have no doubt "gender exception lists" are a thing for second language learners, all I'm saying is that I never even thought about gender nouns until I started talking with english speakers. I'm not saying that nowadays you can't group these things into some sort of pattern, all I'm saying is that there was no group of men going around telling peasants "no you dummy, it's 'o programa' not 'a programa', words got gendered however it made speaking flow more naturally. Since no one sat down and created the language all in one go new words got gendered in a way that "fit" naturally into the previous existing vocabulary.

Why does "bishop" have a completely different sound from "night"? Because that was how people started pronouncing it at some point, because it sounded better to them.

Why are you so willfully ignorant and continue to post such dumb poo poo?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

satanic splash-back posted:

Why are you so willfully ignorant and continue to post such dumb poo poo?

Says the man who speaks a language where you have to use an extra word when you want to clarify the gender of whatever creature he's referring to.

Do you even do t–v distinction, bro?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Nooner posted:

remember that mod who drew a comic thing about how to turn women into living toilets not the one who was a pedo this was a different one.. hot drat, mods sure are great

i dont actaully like that mod at all but this keeps getting mentioned and i feel like i should point out that in the original context it was a parody of something i dont remember what

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

there's a poo poo load of argument about the gender of new loanwords, e.g., is it Der Ketchup or Das Ketchup.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

walgreenslatino posted:

no one has ever explained to me how to pronounce latinx out loud, and my assumption is it's because these people don't interact with others offline so it never occurred to them

Same way it's spelled. LatinEx. Sounds like a radio station handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
remember when the word problematic was auto-corrected to niggardly boy howdy those were some darn tooting good times

• Locked thread